100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 24-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Chat Pimp

Default 15 Years Left?

I was in Tesco's looking at the mags today, and happened to look at MCN.
I hardly ever bother with it nowadays but after seeing last weeks headline about more stepped bike licences, I thought I would see if they would follow it up.
This week the front page story was about a so-called zero tollerance to bikes, being proposed by Sweden, also Switzerland, and possibly the rest of europe too.
The gist of the story is that they are trying to enforce zero traffic casualties by 2020, and that by their very nature, motorcycles will never be totally safe, so they are trying to get them banned outright.
Now I know that MCN has gone the way of the popular tabloids regarding their headlines, and stories, but this one looks quite scary.

What do you all think?
Old 24-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via Yahoo to iomrob

feckin hope not, switzerland is one of my favourate countries to tour in, on the bike.
cant see them being able to ban them altogether, european court of human rights, and all that.
but hey, you never know.
will contact, a couple of biker friends i have in switzerland, and see what they say
Old 24-08-2005, 06:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to krammer

there is no way there will be an outright ban on motorcycles. i know we live in a federal nanny state but that is going too far.

Old 24-08-2005, 07:27 PM

Just be careful................ they would never often becomes
Old 24-08-2005, 07:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to ForestFred

Which is why we have MAG and BMF in this country and FEMA in europe.
If you're really concerned about this type of proposel join MAG join BMF
Do something
Old 24-08-2005, 07:35 PM

What's it going to be like when we have hover bikes
Old 24-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Chatter Box

I cant see it happening.
i mean how about all the pre excisting bikes out there. also the greenies would have a field day if all bikes off the road are now going to mean even more cars on the roads and more congestion and poluition.
mabe tighter poluition laws and even more rediculus training and red tape. i can see that happening.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestFred
Which is why we have MAG and BMF in this country and FEMA in europe.
If you're really concerned about this type of proposel join MAG join BMF
Do something

well said that man

Bosunsbikes.com
Old 24-08-2005, 10:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Fema has already been involved in discussions about this!

Hopefully it will never happen.

Logically they'd have to ban cars as well cos they are not 100% safe...........
Old 24-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Chat Slapper

Send a message via MSN to Gormen

i heard they are going to make us wear 5 extra pirs of jeans and a few dozen cardboard boxes stuffed up our jumpers......so on so on so on

aint allways the same some arsehole somewhere thinks up all these lame ideas i wouldnt worry to much about it........

the price of FUEL is more likely to drive every one off the roads before 2020...
Old 24-08-2005, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGran
Logically they'd have to ban cars as well cos they are not 100% safe...........

coming down from the trees not a good idea really

Bosunsbikes.com
Old 25-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayji
coming down from the trees not a good idea really

You'll probably find that the government of the day said that as people could fall out of trees and hurt themselves then everybody had to come down for their own good!
Most comments so far on this thread seem to be fairly light hearted, along the lines of 'they wouldn't dare!'. Unfortunately they WOULD dare, and are currently, quietly, doing feasibility studies into whether they could get away with it! The Swedish government has already accepted that in order to achieve zero road deaths by 2020 bikes have to go! The rest of Europe is thinking along the lines of making this one of those Europe wide laws which individual countries can't opt out of. Never has it been more important for ALL bikers to make their feelings about this known in the strongest possible terms. Write/email to your MPs, Euro MPs, transport minister, DfT, anybody you can think of to make it clear that we will not tolerate such gross interference in our lifestyle.
Isn't it ironic that the country which gave us Volvos should be taking the lead in trying to ban bikes altogether!
Old 25-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa
You'll probably find that the government of the day said that as people could fall out of trees and hurt themselves then everybody had to come down for their own good!
Most comments so far on this thread seem to be fairly light hearted, along the lines of 'they wouldn't dare!'. Unfortunately they WOULD dare, and are currently, quietly, doing feasibility studies into whether they could get away with it! The Swedish government has already accepted that in order to achieve zero road deaths by 2020 bikes have to go! The rest of Europe is thinking along the lines of making this one of those Europe wide laws which individual countries can't opt out of. Never has it been more important for ALL bikers to make their feelings about this known in the strongest possible terms. Write/email to your MPs, Euro MPs, transport minister, DfT, anybody you can think of to make it clear that we will not tolerate such gross interference in our lifestyle.
Isn't it ironic that the country which gave us Volvos should be taking the lead in trying to ban bikes altogether!
They could try, but I doubt it would remain law for very long!
Old 25-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

I would imagine that people like Mr kawasaki, suzuki yamaha and honda would have something to say about it

the knock on effect of banning bikes would be ridiculous, and the costs stupidly high, they would have to basically reimburse all owners of machines as they cant use them anymore, similar to the hand gun ban in this country, although the compensation was so small
Old 25-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Been discussing it internally in the BMF, and this is from the top lobbying bod:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Magner, BMF Government Relations Executive
I have seen it too and as far as I'm concerned it's the usual MCN spin to fill up their pages during the silly season. I will be seeing Maria Nordqvist this weekend and ask her if her quote is accurate. From the nature of the article and our experience of speaking to him, Farrell doesn't seem to want facts to get in the way of a good story. I seriously doubt that Vision Zero is likely to have any relevance in the foreseeable future. As for the promised probe into the riders' groups not doing enough to fend off the 3rd EC DLD, when I spoke to Farrell, he hadn't even seen our press release on the subject!

Regards,

Trevor
I have suggested that they issue a statement. If and when they do, I will post it.
Old 25-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Mentioned this to my biking nephew who lives in Sweden - his response......
Quote:
If they banned bikes in Sweden the government would be booted out..... it's a BIG thing here, and the people who do it are generally the wealthier ones who know how to make a big noise. I can't imagine why they would think of banning it either. They are a civilised bunch, and are pretty unobtrusive. I haven't heard of this idea over here ! I think UK should start banning car abusers ! Put them on the bus.... Drivers and bikers only on the roads, please !
Old 25-08-2005, 03:35 PM

The general thing usually is that 'they' leak something horrible like this, get us all up in arms and protesting hugely then they slip in something not quite so bad and we are all too busy moaning re something else....
Its a smoke screen .... look out!!
Old 25-08-2005, 06:09 PM

Hey .. just thought... if they ban bikes... just think of all the beauties that will be for sale cheap!!!
Old 25-08-2005, 06:57 PM

Remember 'Phantoms of Liberty' in AWoL?
Old 25-08-2005, 07:00 PM

Send a message via MSN to krammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
errr, no.

Old 25-08-2005, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
ohhh yes! funnily enough awol fought the id card sh1te 11 years ago when the tories tried it and labour decried it as an affront to civil liberties.......

im begining to think awol was written by fortune tellers and oracles and the biking public have very short memories....
Old 26-08-2005, 08:51 PM

http://www.bfu.ch/vision-zero/vision_e/new_policy.htm

http://www.nmcu.org/publ/press/1998_vision_zero.html

http://www.etsc.be/documents/visions%202000.pdf

In an interview with the magazine of the Norwegian Road Safety Bureau, Mr. Tingvall continues: "We build out theory on the fact that predictable consequences of our actions must not lead to external impacts that exceed the tolerance of our bodies. As long as the motorcycles are designed and ridden like they are today, we have no known technology to prevent people from being injured or killed. I mean, people are killed even in minor accidents! However, a prohibition is out of the question due to citizen's democratic rights and freedom of choice. Those who absolutely must ride a motorcycle must be allowed to continue, but we must prevent the recruiting of new motorcyclists. In a long-term thinking I regret to say that motorcycles must go. It will never function to combine motorcycles with our high ambitions of road safety".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hows that for an intresting snippet

FFS Join MAG now coz they are Actively fighting our corner on this issue

yer i know the quote is from sum pen pushin prick in norway but in case you didn't know there part of the euro w*nkers who are slowly but surely f*ckin up our lives

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry to have wasted the time of the part time wannabe weekend hero's please continue on yer usual course

they'll be a new hobby on the horizon for yer i'm sure
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
FFS Sticky this sum1 will ya it really does affect us all
Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 AM

Hey guys, who remembers this post?

So people thought we were all mad, and saying it was all a load of nonsense…? Admittedly Mr Tingwall recanted, after all the abuse he must have got; however there are still versions of the Vision Zero policy knocking about.

What with the proposed Ultra Low Emissions Zone in London, that comes into being in 2020 (oh about the date mentioned in the original post), I think we're getting closer to that day.

Time to stand up and be counted, people!

Switch off TV, get a life... www.whitedot.org
Old 02-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Just got to read the Green Party's election manifesto to see similar lunacy, though based on imaginary 'green' problems rather than safety issues. They quite openly state that they want all large capacity motorcycles off the road
Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Some of the greens policies are utterly bonkers, about 50% of it I could buy into, then the other 50% is so utterly bonkers and ill informed that I actively fear them getting any votes. For starters, the allude to hostiliy to large engines in bikes and cars. My 125 rebel got less mpg than the 650 that replaced it, by some margin. On paper 125s can get phenominal mpg, but add hills that litter our roads and like I say, the big engine uses a lot less. Now onto bikes vs cars safety, I looked at the fatality maps last year, for my local area, a lot more in cars than bikes, and a lot of bad car crashes where multiple occupants were killed. Some might argue more cars are on the roads, true, but a lot of bikes round here are used all year round, myself included and in summer there are a very large number of bikes out, the percentage of bikes is probably higher than anyone thinks, a lot of bikes dont record milage covered very accuretly compared to cars - I know several of my odometers have broken in service, they get left that way often, more so trail bikes. Eu needs to drop these more extreme measures and visions or the growing nationalist movements thoughout Europe will topple the Eu, and some of what the Eu does is good, much is bad, they do need to stop meddling quite so much, and our governments need to stop gold plating what comes from Eu when enforcing regs, especially if countries like France water the regs down at the same time.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone remember the monster raving looney party, their transport policy was to lower the pushbutton on crossings so that hedgehogs could reach them.

John.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:22 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Anyone remember the monster raving looney party, their transport policy was to lower the pushbutton on crossings so that hedgehogs could reach them.

John.
As a card carrying member of the Monster Raving Loonies, I should point out the policy for policing our roads. All police cars to be sold and replaced with push bikes with tandems for the traffic cops for use in high speed pursuits.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

How come they never got in!

John.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:18 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

A great shame they don't have a candidate in my area, I would vote for them without a doubt.