100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 18-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default "Classic Bike " prices.....

Seem to be going through the roof! Just bought Classice bike this month and a Vincent Black Lightning went at auction in Bonhams Las Vegas for an eyewatering. sphincter twitching $929,000 doaalrs! That is 652,414 in Pounds Sterling! Won't be long before a bike sell for the One Million marker!
Old 18-03-2018, 06:05 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

We get this question a lot on the military bike site I use and the general answer is'whatever somebody is willing to pay'. Bikes that some of us bought and sold for less than 20 when we were young are now fetching 6,000+ and some bikes are worth more as parts than as complete bikes.....

Breaking News:-

Ewokandtuck Classic Bike Sales Llc are starting up on the net somewhere near you......
Old 18-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

That is a crazy price.
Ive seen Broughs for sale at 75,000 but nearly 1 million dollars for a Vinnie
But a bike is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.
Kinda proves the point.
Old 19-03-2018, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Apparently the Vincent is a record breaker that belonged to Jack Ehret in OZ, which hled a land speed record at one point. But even so, 652,414 I don't think I've ever earned that amount in my whole working life!
Old 19-03-2018, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
We get this question a lot on the military bike site I use and the general answer is'whatever somebody is willing to pay'. Bikes that some of us bought and sold for less than 20 when we were young are now fetching 6,000+ and some bikes are worth more as parts than as complete bikes.....

Breaking News:-

Ewokandtuck Classic Bike Sales Llc are starting up on the net somewhere near you......
You don't want to know what some BSA M20 "barn finds" are fetching on ebay, even in a really shit non running state!

If a bike is a runner it's name your own price basically.

Right I have two pushbikes in the shed. If I just marry the two knackered lawn mower engines to them. I can pass them off as an early Ewokandtuck Flying Sprocket.....worth at least ten maybe even twenty tubes of smarties....
Old 19-03-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
You don't want to know what some BSA M20 "barn finds" are fetching on ebay, even in a really shit non running state!

If a bike is a runner it's name your own price basically.

Right I have two pushbikes in the shed. If I just marry the two knackered lawn mower engines to them. I can pass them off as an early Ewokandtuck Flying Sprocket.....worth at least ten maybe even twenty tubes of smarties....
You can laugh but truth is stranger than fiction. On the Dutch WM20 site I use they posted a picture of a 'Rare' motorcycle that was on sale on E-bay. It was basically a BSA rotvator engine in a frame that was not even the same period, but made to look like a bike that had appeared in a film. The worst part is that a quick google search would tell you exactly where the original was and what it looked like (nothing like the abortion that was for sale) and the bidding (no doubt by 'friends' to push up the price) had reached around 9,000. When questioned by a knowledgeable forum member, he got no answer but was blocked, which was proof that they knew it was fake......

There are some good rare and useable vintage/veteran bikes out there but never buy one for the middle east or far east, most have been bodged and buggered about and ridden to death for the last 50+ years. One of the restorers on our site refuses to touch them as they cost more than the bike will be worth to restore it to it's original state.
Old 19-03-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
You can laugh but truth is stranger than fiction. On the Dutch WM20 site I use they posted a picture of a 'Rare' motorcycle that was on sale on E-bay. It was basically a BSA rotvator engine in a frame that was not even the same period, but made to look like a bike that had appeared in a film. The worst part is that a quick google search would tell you exactly where the original was and what it looked like (nothing like the abortion that was for sale) and the bidding (no doubt by 'friends' to push up the price) had reached around 9,000. When questioned by a knowledgeable forum member, he got no answer but was blocked, which was proof that they knew it was fake......

There are some good rare and useable vintage/veteran bikes out there but never buy one for the middle east or far east, most have been bodged and buggered about and ridden to death for the last 50+ years. One of the restorers on our site refuses to touch them as they cost more than the bike will be worth to restore it to it's original state.
I've seen a few bikes like that on eBay which from closer observation appear to be a collection of bits placed on top of each other to give an impression of a bike but the parts look very much to be from different models of bike and very little is actually bolted together.
Let the buyer beware !!
But I am fairly sure no one actually buys them.
Old 19-03-2018, 03:23 PM
Chatter Box

talking of valuation I have been trying to get a rough idea of the value of my bike T160V bobber, did have a value of 4500 on it but since I have been seeing 4k just for an engine I am now revising this, I now think even braking it I would realise more, but its very difficult as most insurance companies won't seem to do agreed value, probably because its a classic custom, so given the current pricing for classic bikes I wonder what the "market value" would be?
Old 19-03-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky-Dicky View Post
talking of valuation I have been trying to get a rough idea of the value of my bike T160V bobber, did have a value of 4500 on it but since I have been seeing 4k just for an engine I am now revising this, I now think even braking it I would realise more, but its very difficult as most insurance companies won't seem to do agreed value, probably because its a classic custom, so given the current pricing for classic bikes I wonder what the "market value" would be?
again the answer is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. There is a misconception that if somebody is asking 4 grand for an engine, that is what it is worth. However, for the seller, there may be an element of emotion attached.. ie. remembering all the good times riding etc., which makes him loathe to actually sell it and thus overprice it. Others then see a 4 grand engine and think their lump is worth that much. Eventually somebody restoring that model either wants an original engine or a spare to fettle while using the other pays 4 grand and so the merry-go-round revolves a little more. Insurance values are not resale values as anybody who has written off a bike or car will testify. You could try putting a starting price a bit lower than your expectations and put a reserve on so it doesn't go for peanuts, that will show you what people are willing to pay or not.
Old 19-03-2018, 07:13 PM
Chatter Box

This is purely for an insurance value, as they don't do agreed value and I would like to get an idea of what the actual market value would be should the worst happen, I am not looking to sell it just yet.
Old 19-03-2018, 09:31 PM

What gets me is that dealers put a bike up for say 10k when all the others are actually selling for 7k.

That dealer bike doesn't sell and the dealer isn't bothered about selling it, it stays there for months and then chummie comes along and sees it and "oh mine must be worth 10k" so puts it up for that price and then it all starts again.

There's a GS1000 on Fleabay for 6k, only worth mebbes 4k at a big push, but its been on there for a year
Old 20-03-2018, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

I'd be interested to know what you get from a "classic" dealer? If you go to a main agent selling new or "used" modern bikes/cars you get a full back up dealer facility (allegedly!) with warranies etc. so when you pay/take a loan out on your monopoly money priced bike/car you expect to get a fair deal, like when something goes wrong, it get repaired/replaced under warranty or recovered and a courtesy car/bike whilst your little baby is being dealt with.

However, with a "Classic", you are still paying monopoly moey for a machine that may or may not be "original". Well repaired and looked after maybe, but still, it may have seen better days. but if the bike/car has been well fettled and looked after with full service history etc. I would still expect to get some sort of used warranty on the thing. Or do you just get fobbed off with "It's a "classic" so expect to have things go wrong, so a used warranty doesn't apply!" and so you just cough up your hard earned just to keep it on the road.....