100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 06-02-2018, 02:54 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Default How is Motability working for disabled people?

I think most of us know about Motability and what it provides in theory. But how does the organisation justify sitting on 2.4 billion of unspent funds and the boss paid himself about 1.7 million in the last year?

Motability cars are way overpriced compared to the company lease car sector. But surely that does not equate to amassing a fortune of 2.4 billion?

I am aware that a lot of motability cars and scooters have been lost during the changeover from DLA to PIP.
No disrespect to those unfortunate people.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:17 PM

http://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publi...-salary/145738
Old 07-02-2018, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

Another "Job for the boys" scandal!
Old 07-02-2018, 12:08 PM

Disabled people use motability cars to get to work.
When the assessors who are more of the same corporate animals assess them under the new PIP scheme and say they don't need the higher rate of mobility award, they lose their cars and then have to stop working. This is how stupid the system is. Although 70% are winning the higher rate of mobility back through the Tribunal Courts its takes many months or over a year. I guess the other 30% just give up.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

and the other 70% have lost their jobs. The answer to the question posited in the title is.... It's not. It is working for fat cats in the charity industry (they must have pay equal to a bank CEO or similar, even if they are working for a charity and most of the sharp end work is done by volunteers). The people who need the services of certain charities are just a nuisance that stops them increasing their pay and bonuses......
There are people out there working in food banks and soup kitchens for free while the parasites that infest charities suck them dry and all legal as well.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
and the other 70% have lost their jobs. The answer to the question posited in the title is.... It's not. It is working for fat cats in the charity industry (they must have pay equal to a bank CEO or similar, even if they are working for a charity and most of the sharp end work is done by volunteers). The people who need the services of certain charities are just a nuisance that stops them increasing their pay and bonuses......
There are people out there working in food banks and soup kitchens for free while the parasites that infest charities suck them dry and all legal as well.
Can't disagree with any of that and I could add more.

I just did a quick check up on the current range of Motability cars and how they compare with the normal car lease sector.

Looking on the bottom of the range of Motability on offer is the Ford Fiesta 1.5 Diesel 5 door which takes up all of the mobility payment from a disabled person on the higher rate of mobility. That equates to roughly 360 a month so I an measure it effectively against the normal car lease operators which are monthly payment not weekly like PIP.

The Motability management company is adding 200,000,000 a year to their 2.4 billion. Nice little earner in a crap global economy on the brink.

BTW.
So the Motability base 1.5 Diesel Fiesta costs the disabled person 360 a month plus the usual.
Moving to the normal lease company sector for the same money 360 a month, a disabled driver could have a new Range Rover Velar diesel. Sufficiently nice a motorcar that the international celebrity Madonna drives around in one.

So thats how they make 200,000,000 a year out of poor and disabled people.

How they work this racket is that Motability is a charity but the management is not a charity and has share holders.
Its another way of siphoning public money out to wealthy share holders.
Multiply that little earner by several thousand times and you know why this country is on its knees.

(The only difference by the way is the deposit for the Fiesta is 1000 and the deposit for the Velar is 2300. Not a vast differential on the deposit).

Last edited by HOS; 07-02-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:43 PM

So for 1000 I have a very nice unmarked low mileage S-type V6 with electric everything, dual climate control, leather interior, xenon headlights, 6 speed ZF gearbox which is common with BMW, Maserati, AM and Merc. Its got remote locking, remote boot release, remote filler cap release, its got a CD player and radio with steering wheel controls, its incredibly quiet inside the car at any speed. It has auto dimming rear view mirrors so I don't get dazzled by headlights from behind like happens with vans and 4x4s. It is superbly comfortable. Two front electric memory seats. Folding side mirrors.

It costs me petrol and a bit of road tax and insurance but that is nowhere near 360 a month for a Fiesta Diesel that you never own and they can take off you at any time on a whim and lose your deposit.

So for me no taa Motability.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:50 PM

You see the lease car sector could make good money and turn plenty of new cars around for disabled people on PIP, but they can't do that because they know what shitbags the government are by pulling peoples DLA/ PIP payments for no reason like they do and leaving people without their Motability cars.

Got a mate who lost his leg in a bike smash not so many years ago.
He was on DLA to help him with getting about and then they wrote to him out of the blue and said you don't need your DLA anymore and they stopped paying him. It took him a while to get his DLA back but had to point out that his leg wasn't going to grow back again anytime soon.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Ah yeah but...no but....um aren't these "mobility" vehicles all meant to be adaptrd to the needs of the "disabled" user? i.e ramps, wheelchairs. hand throttles etc?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Ah yeah but...no but....um aren't these "mobility" vehicles all meant to be adaptrd to the needs of the "disabled" user? i.e ramps, wheelchairs. hand throttles etc?
Only if you need it, as HOS pointed out, his mate lost a leg so an ordinary automatic would fill the bill...... Also some adaptations consist of just a knob on the steering wheel (Fnar! Fnar!) so the driver doesn't have to grip the actual wheel.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
No they aren't. Adaptions come extra.

One thing most motability car users do not realise is that they are not insured for towing unless they provide their own insurance. They also have to service the car (at a recommended dealership = rip off) at their own cost and pay for their road tax.
All this is hidden away in the small print, Motability will not tell you about it unless you ask specifically.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Only if you need it, as HOS pointed out, his mate lost a leg so an ordinary automatic would fill the bill...... Also some adaptations consist of just a knob on the steering wheel (Fnar! Fnar!) so the driver doesn't have to grip the actual wheel.
That's right, my left hand side is badly damaged and that's why I drive an automatic. Comfort in the car is also a major need for traveling and dictates how far I can go without having to get out of the car for a break. So small cars don't fit the bill.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:58 PM

I know what you mean about comfort. Because of my financial status (retired) I drive cheap and quite old cars and the seats are generally knackered, thus my back can suffer. The best car I ever owned was an Audi 80 sport back in the 90's and I could drive to Scotland and still feel fresh as a daisy but this old Ford tub is like riding a plank.......
Old 08-02-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I know what you mean about comfort. Because of my financial status (retired) I drive cheap and quite old cars and the seats are generally knackered, thus my back can suffer. The best car I ever owned was an Audi 80 sport back in the 90's and I could drive to Scotland and still feel fresh as a daisy but this old Ford tub is like riding a plank.......
This old Jag rates as one of the most comfortable cars I've had. Likewise I've usually had older large petrol automatics because they are cheap to buy and usually got plenty of miles left in them. Sometimes poor comfort in a car can be down to that individual car and not generic to the model. I had a Focus saloon for 12 months and it was extremely uncomfortable so much so that I flogged on within the year. Can't define it but there was summat wrong with it. Maybe the body was twisted or something? But if had to go.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Funyy you should mention comfort. Way back in the 90s I ran my own courier business. and the best van I had for comfort was the Astravan (CDV) I could get ni that drive it all day up to 18 hrs sometimes! and get out without feeling like a cripple! The worst van was the Citroen C!5 and the Corsa. Bloody uncomfortable they were, you could only drive for about 3 hrs before you had to stop and get out and stretch!
Old 09-02-2018, 06:11 PM

Sometimes it is the suspension that causes the discomfort. I had a Laguna where the suspension was brilliant and you float across speed bumps and crossings at high speed and you didn't know they were there but the Focus is sloppy and some bumps/crossings feel like hitting a pile of bricks......
Old 10-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Citroens were the best....
Old 10-02-2018, 10:18 PM
Chat Virgin

In the 70's I had a Bedford CF with moulded seats that felt great for half an hour then crippled me. After a week I refused to drive it. My Boss took it for a drive , came back and swapped it for a Trannie. I would have preferred a van but, Hey Ho!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:38 PM

Here's a nice comfortable car

https://youtu.be/d6AnXi2N_do
Old 11-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Dave View Post
In the 70's I had a Bedford CF with moulded seats that felt great for half an hour then crippled me. After a week I refused to drive it. My Boss took it for a drive , came back and swapped it for a Trannie. I would have preferred a van but, Hey Ho!
You plonker...lol!
Old 11-02-2018, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Here's a nice comfortable car

https://youtu.be/d6AnXi2N_do

Excellent! I have just bought it!
Old 11-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Dave View Post
I had a CF minibus when I was travelling as a fitter and turned the bus seats into a bed, nice and comfy. The bit I didn't like was the engine sat at an angle in the bay and you needed a a spanner with two joints in it just to get to the spark plugs. This, for the inexperienced led to stripped plug holes and cross-threaded plugs. Some plugs would be loose and the opportunities for damage to the engine was immense. Hated the bus but it was so comfortable I slept through a fire bomb attack on the pub opposite. There were three fire engines in attendance and a policeman knocking on the windows and I slept through it all....... A couple of pints in the pub beforehand may have helped.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Dad had a couple of CF for pulling the caravan. When we went on holiday you'd think the local gypos were moving....
Old 17-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Chat Virgin

A little known fact is that, many years ago, I was PA to the Chief Executive of Motability. All I can say is that there was something rotten in the state of Harlow even way back then.
Old 17-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Is that our Blue back in disguise???
Old 17-02-2018, 08:16 PM

I believe that anything that involves large sums of money has corruption in it.

Was watching a forensic accountant on youtube who did work for the accountancy firm Deloite. He said that of the 120 different company files he investigated every single one showed corruption and criminality.
Old 17-02-2018, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I believe that anything that involves large sums of money has corruption in it.

Was watching a forensic accountant on youtube who did work for the accountancy firm Deloite. He said that of the 120 different company files he investigated every single one showed corruption and criminality.
Price waterhouse have done quite a few accounts, saying the firm is OK (like Carillion) and then we find they are going bust.... Funny how they never get prosecuted (though being Tory, and possibly Labour, donors helps).
Old 17-02-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Price waterhouse have done quite a few accounts, saying the firm is OK (like Carillion) and then we find they are going bust.... Funny how they never get prosecuted (though being Tory, and possibly Labour, donors helps).
Another example is thd boss man of Persimmon Homes who has just been paid a bonus of 110 million. The company also recieved a few million for help with starting new housing developments to address the housing shortage.
A 110 million bonus to one person is repugnant.
Old 17-02-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Another example is thd boss man of Persimmon Homes who has just been paid a bonus of 110 million. The company also recieved a few million for help with starting new housing developments to address the housing shortage.
A 110 million bonus to one person is repugnant.
I make you right, what on earth can these people spend all that money on, especially as they probably get paid offshore, so no tax on it. I feel really sorry (NOT) for those poor bastards who suffer from 'Paradise Syndrome' where having too much money makes the feel bad. Here's a tip... Give it to charity, build homes for the homeless or just go into a town centre and hand out 10 notes, that should make them feel better...........
Old 18-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue100% View Post
A little known fact is that, many years ago, I was PA to the Chief Executive of Motability. All I can say is that there was something rotten in the state of Harlow even way back then.
Welcome and nice of you to join our little forum Blue100%. Howabout fill out the User CP up on the left hand side there and tell us a bit about yourself? Like wot you doo, wot you ride, where you live etc, cos we is nosey and like to know a bit about our fellow whingers...err.... bikers. Or...Is you our Blue in disguise and trying to fool us?