100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 18-05-2018, 02:56 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Default Any Golden Rules whilst riding to share?

Ive got a few golden rules I never break when I'm on the road.
Just wondering if anyone has any similar to share?

One of mine is about when not to speed and I rigidly stick to this:
No speeding in 20, 30 or 40mph limits and no speeding in roadworks.
Old 18-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Never travel the same route every day as you get too used to it and make mistakes or take chances when inappropriate.
Old 18-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Never be the fastest vehicle in sight.
Old 18-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Sage words guys !!!!!

Boredom/complacency is the time you are likely to get taken down.
Speeding on a bike on a motorway full of cars is guaranteed to get you noticed.
Old 19-05-2018, 07:10 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Dont fall off
Old 20-05-2018, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Clean underpants.....
Old 20-05-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Clean underpants.....
Highly recommended just incase you end up in casualty having your trousers and kecks cut off wiv big scissors by the nurses and only counts if you haven't shat yourself during the accident.
Old 20-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Dont fall off

This is an very old golden rule and oft forgotten or ignored by too many.
Don't fall off ! ! !
Old 20-05-2018, 03:43 PM

Another golden rule..... Don't overtake on the inside, bikes or cars.
When I got my first Busa I was out near Alcester and a biker on a V.Max had been trying to get past me for a few miles with no success.
So as we came into a 30 limit with nose to tail cars in front, the dickhead decided to overtake me and several cars on the inside on the narrow pavement still doing about 60mph. There really is no answer for that amount of stupid and I was happy to see him go. See ya mate.
Old 20-05-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
When I got my first Busa I was out near Alcester and a biker on a V.Max had been trying to get past me for a few miles with no success.
So as we came into a 30 limit with nose to tail cars in front, the dickhead decided to overtake me and several cars on the inside on the narrow pavement still doing about 60mph. There really is no answer for that amount of stupid and I was happy to see him go. See ya mate.
Only ever drove on the pavement, deliberately, twice. First time a car pulled out of a junction and completely blocked the road, so I managed to squeeze onto the pavement. Second time a group of mods was attacking a mate and I rode the combo up onto the pavement and scattered the cowardly bastards. six onto one is hardly fair and he was lucky I spotted him. A quick dive into the sidecar and we were gone.......
Old 21-05-2018, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Only yesterday I had a bloody cyclist wobble up past me on the inside whilst going over a level crossing of all places. He was shaking his head as If I was to blame for him nearly falling off (we were all crawling along leading up to a mini roundabout) So I would the window down and yelled after him, "Use the fucking cycle path! That's what we pay rates for prats like you to use! Not cutting up on thr inside on the main road!". didn't do any good, but I felt better for it! He almost got knocked off again traversing the mini roundabout. Wish he had.....
Old 21-05-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Only yesterday I had a bloody cyclist wobble up past me on the inside whilst going over a level crossing of all places. He was shaking his head as If I was to blame for him nearly falling off (we were all crawling along leading up to a mini roundabout) So I would the window down and yelled after him, "Use the fucking cycle path! That's what we pay rates for prats like you to use! Not cutting up on thr inside on the main road!". didn't do any good, but I felt better for it! He almost got knocked off again traversing the mini roundabout. Wish he had.....
They are the most obnoxious bunch of road users. We had issues yesterday when my little lady drove us out for a picnic and the damned bicyclists were bloody everywhere. She is a very careful driver and even she got pissed off with the lycra clad tarts.

As bikers we learn very very quickly that up against a car you will come off worst, cyclists it appears have yet to learn that simple fact. Never mind who is right or wrong
Old 21-05-2018, 09:53 AM

As my old man used to say..... Its all very well being in the right when you're dead. Avoidance is the best policy.
Old 21-05-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
As my old man used to say..... Its all very well being in the right when you're dead. Avoidance is the best policy.
There are also the CUNTS.... Can't Use Normal Trafficlights, who like to sail through junctions on RED and swear at cars and bikes that are swerving and burning their tyres to avoid them. Cyclists seem to think they have a charmed life, unfortunately of no use (warranty expired, along with the rider) against two tons of car.....
Old 21-05-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
There are also the CUNTS.... Can't Use Normal Trafficlights, who like to sail through junctions on RED and swear at cars and bikes that are swerving and burning their tyres to avoid them. Cyclists seem to think they have a charmed life, unfortunately of no use (warranty expired, along with the rider) against two tons of car.....
The irony we experienced yesterday was after we had two cyclists side by side on a narrow country road with tight blind ends, is when we came across a motorcycle accident with a biker on his back in the floor and two other uninjured bikers with him. Looked very much like a smidsy to me. Then as my little lady turned the narrow boat sized car up the side road we were accosted by numerous cyclists who assumed their right of way consisted of them being in numbers of more than 10 therefore negating any other right of way. They were completely oblivious of the accident with cars stopped and people stood in the road not 20 yards behind us. But the morons were too focused on their perceived right of way abd thereby not focused on the RTA we had literally just passed.
On 2 wheels you are vulnerable no matter who's right of way it is and for exactly the same reasons large HGV's command great respect because of their shear size. Let the foolish beware.

Can see the headstone:

"It was my right of way"
RIP. Earnest Twat

I followed a lycra clad tart into town last month and he cycled through every single red light I stopped for. At about the 5th set of lights as I passed him again when the lights changed I did ask him whether the fucking law didn't apply to him? But he had his earphones in. He is the kind who will end up as dogmeat in an hgv tyre treads.
Darwinsim does work in some instances. The stupid die easily
Old 22-05-2018, 04:31 PM

With modern medicine and emergency treatment, too many are surviving and polluting the gene pool......
Old 22-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
With modern medicine and emergency treatment, too many are surviving and polluting the gene pool......

Reverse evolution.
Nature was the very best filter system until medical science enabled too many people to breed that nature did not intend to breed.
I agree 100% the gene pool is fucked.
Old 25-05-2018, 06:47 PM

As a hayabusa rider of many years a golden rule is never set off for a ride out with less than sufficient rubber left on the rear tyre to get home on without getting down to bare metal.
Its very hard to judge believe me.
Hhhmmm.... Is there enough rubber on there for the afternoon??? Hmm...???

Could easily apply to a dozen or more bikes.

Last edited by HOS; 25-05-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 13-06-2018, 10:37 AM

Keep your mobile phone on your body and not on the bike.
Keep it inside your jacket where it won't come out and where its less likely to be damaged and where you can reach it.

The reason is fairly simple.

If you are out riding on your own and get smacked off by a hit and run car driver when there are no witnesses, you need the phone on you so you can use it in an emergency if you are injured and can't walk or crawl to your bike if that's where you left your phone. You might be so bust up you have limited movement and limited time to dial 999 and get help. So keep it on you where you can reach it easily.

Might sound really unpleasant, but it happens.
That is an advanced lifesaver from someone who knows.
Golden Rule, always carry your mobile with you and on you when you're out on the bike.
Old 13-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Funny innit. I rode around for donkey's years before mobile phone's became the norm with no worries. Now, if my phone battery's flat, I'm always a little concerned. 1st world problems eh!
Old 13-06-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Funny innit. I rode around for donkey's years before mobile phone's became the norm with no worries. Now, if my phone battery's flat, I'm always a little concerned. 1st world problems eh!
Absolutely and although we sometimes moan about the intrusion of them, for emergencies they are invaluable.
Old 13-06-2018, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Absolutely and although we sometimes moan about the intrusion of them, for emergencies they are invaluable.
Agreed, that's why I bought my first (Analogue) mobile phone, for such emergencies. Further to your comments, make sure it is fully, or at least have a high charge, before setting out. If you are unconscious for some time or unable to move straight away you may be in danger of losing connectivity due to a flat battery.

Another tip is to always wear appropriate clothing, the amount of dickheads wearing trainers on sportsbikes or full leathers rolled down to the waist when it's hot is unbelievable....... I'm sure HOS and I are not the only ones glad of decent protection when it was needed........
Old 13-06-2018, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Agreed, that's why I bought my first (Analogue) mobile phone, for such emergencies. Further to your comments, make sure it is fully, or at least have a high charge, before setting out. If you are unconscious for some time or unable to move straight away you may be in danger of losing connectivity due to a flat battery.

Another tip is to always wear appropriate clothing, the amount of dickheads wearing trainers on sportsbikes or full leathers rolled down to the waist when it's hot is unbelievable....... I'm sure HOS and I are not the only ones glad of decent protection when it was needed........

Good point you make about making sure your mobile is charged, thanks for adding that
Also calls to 999 are free so you don't need phone credit if you are on pay as you go. However on some mobile phones you must have a minimum credit of a few pence even to call 999 free, so please check.

Good bike gear? I can show you the damage from wearing top notch bike gear, that is the difference between dying and staying alive. In my case it was the difference between dying or permanently in a wheelchair and on the other hand being able to ride again.
Its important to listen to people who know.
Like you Ewok I see so many riders without proper gear or just wearing a lid.
Wearing proper safety gear is not about being a wuss or being scared, it has everything to do with being SMART.

Anyone who thinks they are all rufty tufty and hard enough not to need safety gear, then think about this, who in your life right now is going to look after you for the rest of their lives spoon feeding you whilst you are a cripple in a chair. Your partner/wife/husband? your kids? The care system? Do you really want to go there?

Anyone can sit down with me in a quiet corner of a pub and I will tell them what its like to be in a major life changing bike smash. I'll bring some tissues so you can mop your eyes. But the point is wearing proper gear everytime you go out. There was a large amount of me being lucky, but the quality gear I was wearing saved me from being a vegetable. A full spinal protector is a major player. I've got 4 spine protectors now, 3 x Knox and 1 x Dainese.

Bikers who I see riding with trainers, jeans, a leather jacket, leather gloves and lid.
What;s so bad about that? The 12" gap of naked spine between their jeans belt and the underside of their leather! How's that going to look going down the road on tarmac?? Time and again I see riders doing this.
The BDOD's who ride in only trainers, shorts and a lid are the most enraging riders I see.

Or worse? a guy on a bike out near Rutland, overtaking on double white lines through a blind left hander and under a narrow bridge. He had full head to toe proper safety gear on, the works ! But his very young female pillion was wearing sandels, a pair of short shorts, a flimsy summer top and a lid with no gloves. WTF !!!!
My little lady and I were witness to this and we were both raging.
My little lady would have punched his lights out for the pillions sake.
Just don't !

I hope everyone knows what a BDOD is? Because its what happens when you ride without proper gear and have a crash.

Thanks Ewok and its good to let new riders know this and for them to learn it fast before the inevitable.

Last edited by HOS; 13-06-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 13-06-2018, 06:53 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

It suddenly got very serious. But all very good advice, thanks for that.

I sometimes do put me phone on the bike as I have a charger wired in. Maybe I need to rethink that.
Old 13-06-2018, 07:05 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Ive got a few golden rules I never break when I'm on the road.
Just wondering if anyone has any similar to share?
Don't bin it.

Really, that's it It could be a nice bimble in to work (Friday), peg-scraping hoonage around welsh roads (Saturday), or I could have a blonde in a golf shoot straight onto a roundabout without looking (Monday).

With "Blonde in Golf" situations, a cracking pair of tits does not excuse fuckwittery. Well, not unless they're offering to dangle them in my face as I'm boning them, as recompense for nearly t-boning me. Hasn't happened yet...
Old 13-06-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
It suddenly got very serious. But all very good advice, thanks for that.

I sometimes do put me phone on the bike as I have a charger wired in. Maybe I need to rethink that.
Sorry Harry I didn't wish to put you off the thread.
This is a serious one but worth mentioning for the sake of some riders.
Back to less intense subjects ASAP.
Old 13-06-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSanCen View Post
Don't bin it.

Really, that's it It could be a nice bimble in to work (Friday), peg-scraping hoonage around welsh roads (Saturday), or I could have a blonde in a golf shoot straight onto a roundabout without looking (Monday).

With "Blonde in Golf" situations, a cracking pair of tits does not excuse fuckwittery. Well, not unless they're offering to dangle them in my face as I'm boning them, as recompense for nearly t-boning me. Hasn't happened yet...
Good point, keeping it black side down is a quickly learned riding style.
But in the two crashes I've had with other road users I was knocked off on both occasions.
We can be as good as we can, but those car drivers are summat else!
Old 13-06-2018, 07:29 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I thin the other rule, which we can all be guilty of forgetting, is to have fun. If we wanted to be miserable fuckers, we'd be cooped up in cages. Yeah, sure, car drivers can be myopic, entitled, narcissistic, spunk trumpets - but they're in a car and we're not. Fuck em and give 'em the bird on the way past.
Old 13-06-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSanCen View Post
I thin the other rule, which we can all be guilty of forgetting, is to have fun. If we wanted to be miserable fuckers, we'd be cooped up in cages. Yeah, sure, car drivers can be myopic, entitled, narcissistic, spunk trumpets - but they're in a car and we're not. Fuck em and give 'em the bird on the way past.
Always have fun !

A mate with a TL1000 told me how he filtered between two long lines of stationary traffic on a dual carriageway to the M40 one evening on his way to meet our bike crowd. He said how he loved riding calmly between the lines of pissed off drivers stuck in their cages in traffic in late rush hour.
So he went back around the lanes so he could come back and do the same filter past the same cars a few minutes later.
Just for the shear joy of it.
Old 14-06-2018, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

I always keep a two clean hankies on me. Wipe off the snot and keep the visor clean, one for each! Snot on the visor is bloody hard to wipe off!