100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 17-09-2018, 07:00 AM
Chat Slapper

Default mvsa question

hi all my sidecar build is nearly at that get it road legal point and was wondering if anyone knew the following.........iv read the manual but seem to not get an answer
1. does a sidecar outfit need an engine safety cut out like fitted to sidestands and clutch lever ?
2. best place i found for sidecar white forward light was 350mm to nearly the top of light, manual says 350mm min will that pass
think everything else looks good to go and would it be prudent to mot her first then mvsa and are re tests free and how long do you have to take them back if so
stay safe moses
Attached Images

Old 17-09-2018, 07:43 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Hi Moblow.

You don't need a side stand safety device as you have no side stand.

The minimum height for lighting is measured to the lower edge which can be a problem for very low sidecar outfits.

It is normal to do the MSVA test before the MoT. This way you can register the vehicle and have the reg on the MoT certificate.

A sidecar fee is 85 and retest is 17

You have six months to get a retest done after that its a full test again.
Old 18-09-2018, 05:55 AM
Chat Slapper

thanks for reply harry i will make light a little bit higher as its 350 to nearly the top which isnt a problem to alter it, i fitted indicators higher luckily but think im at that point where its suck it and see what mvsa people say in a couple of months.............finances dont run to getting her legal yet after fixing two cars and my kawasaki
speedo is installed now and just have brake lines to front wheel on order then its scare the world time with a planned trailer her to a private road for some testing.
i also need one of those insurers that understand everythings been altered too
have a good day respects moses
Old 18-09-2018, 02:41 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Looking good mowblow.
Glad Harry was able to help.
Old 20-09-2018, 12:03 PM
Chat Slapper

thanks and its all nearly there just gotta test speedo and rev counter and ill put fairing back on............heres new light position eeeeeeek its 370mm to bottom of light now and any mvsa comments more than welcome if anyone see's anything that may cause issues.
wheres the sun gone respects for the help
moses
Attached Images

Old 20-09-2018, 09:49 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I am absolutely chuffed for you !! Its great when a plan comes together
As i said early on, I know very little about trikes despite liking them very much. But health and safety I`m not too bad on. Im glad you asked because I didnt want to jump in earlier and put my size 12 in it as I have the natural ability to do.

The thing i had noticed is the exhaust pipe between the bike and chair, thinking it might be quite easy for someone sitting in the chair to put their hand or arm on the hot pipe? it might not be an issue but I just wondered if one of the inspectors might pick that up? Bearing in mind I`m looking at photos and not the real thing
Old 21-09-2018, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

But please whatever you do, just don't paint it in that god awful yellow/slime colour that's on the bike in the background!....
Old 21-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Hi Moblow,

The front edge of the mudguards need a radius of 2mm the same as a 4mm drill bit. The square corners may need rounding too.

Daft as it seems there's nuffink in the MSVA manual about hot surfaces, so the exhaust won't be a problem for the test.
Old 21-09-2018, 03:58 PM
Chat Slapper

hi harry yes the front of mudguards are radiused around 5mm drill bit and was going to remove and add side radius ( you'v confirmed a niggle i already had ) guess what my next job is and thanks so much for the input harry and also the only other bit is where the tie rods are at on top of centre hub steering as there are sharp edges on tie rods...........
it would'nt be a prob to make a bolt on radiused cover plate if you think that may get pulled up also but i have fitted dome nuts on all front bits there.
bike will have its original fairing fitted by the way when i get speedo finished and tested which will be jack up back end and run sensor magnet is fitted to the rear chain sprocket
hey i love my old kwak friar tuck its one of the few not to get modded haha but i seriously am nearly there thank god these kind of builds are relentless...........never again until lol
really do appreciate your time and thoughts harry respects moses
Old 06-10-2018, 05:52 AM
Chat Slapper

hi all and as harry had mentioned radius on guards im altering them and found some radiused chrome trim on fleabay which worked a treat so should keep testers happy..............fingers crossed
thanks for input harry
moses
Attached Images