100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26-12-2017, 12:21 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default Yellow snow warnings out today.

Just be careful hey?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news...ather-14080405
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,583
Default

I always thought a Yellow Snow warning was 'Don't eat Yellow snow!'
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26-12-2017, 09:17 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
I always thought a Yellow Snow warning was 'Don't eat Yellow snow!'
When anyone mentions yellow snow, I always think of one particular sketch with those boys in Jackass, Images in me ead.....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 27-12-2017, 05:30 PM
Strider Strider is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Whitefield, Manchester
Posts: 1,281
Default

No snow here in Manchester, mind you the last time I said that we had a load within an hour of me saying it

Birmingham is in the south anyway, same as Manchester is in the midlands
__________________
When shit hits the fan, I've learnt it will not be evenly distributed !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 27-12-2017, 07:07 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,583
Default

Had some snow this morning in Northampton, turned to rain later though, just hope it doesn't freeze overnight......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28-12-2017, 05:36 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,363
Default

Was on the news that the A14 had been closed due to snow and a jacknifed lorry at Kettering. No snow here in in Lincolngrad...
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28-12-2017, 11:16 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Was on the news that the A14 had been closed due to snow and a jacknifed lorry at Kettering. No snow here in in Lincolngrad...
I went out to Sywell yesterday afternoon and the roads were wet and icey then. I was thinking it will not be good when it freezes overnight. The local M1 is also a hotspot for major carnage, it seems like every few days there is a major crash and also the A45. I am very glad I don't have to drive in commuter times.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28-12-2017, 11:17 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
No snow here in Manchester, mind you the last time I said that we had a load within an hour of me saying it

Birmingham is in the south anyway, same as Manchester is in the midlands
That made me larf
Brummie southerners?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28-12-2017, 12:00 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Ive had a spinal stroke either during the bike smash or soon after.
Only about 1.2% of all strokes are spinal. Its quite rare and causes all sorts of crazy problems.

The spinal column is just like your cars canbus system, if it gets damaged your brain and body don't communicate well. The neuropathic pain is quite "entertaining".
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,583
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Ive had a spinal stroke either during the bike smash or soon after.
Only about 1.2% of all strokes are spinal. Its quite rare and causes all sorts of crazy problems.

The spinal column is just like your cars canbus system, if it gets damaged your brain and body don't communicate well. The neuropathic pain is quite "entertaining".
I know what you mean.... My accident was obviously not as serious as yours but the impact at 50 MPH of my leg against the front wing of a BMW caused the leg to explode. The fat and muscle separated and a pocket of fluid formed between the layers. When the fluid was drained the Saphenous nerve had created adhesion's along the leg. Just the touch of my trousers on the skin was like a red hot knife being drawn through the flesh. I suffered this for two years before they operated to clean up as much as possible. It is still very uncomfortable, but manageable. I can't start to understand how bad it can be for you. Hope things improve in the future......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 28-12-2017, 08:02 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
I know what you mean.... My accident was obviously not as serious as yours but the impact at 50 MPH of my leg against the front wing of a BMW caused the leg to explode. The fat and muscle separated and a pocket of fluid formed between the layers. When the fluid was drained the Saphenous nerve had created adhesion's along the leg. Just the touch of my trousers on the skin was like a red hot knife being drawn through the flesh. I suffered this for two years before they operated to clean up as much as possible. It is still very uncomfortable, but manageable. I can't start to understand how bad it can be for you. Hope things improve in the future......

I just get on with life tbh Ewok, same as yourself and others. Every day is filled with pain. I've never been a quitter and always fought my way through. We have these set backs just to test ya metal
I am back under the neurologist because they reckon I have MS or maybe Lymes disease. I've certainly got most of the symptoms of MS.
But it doesn't change anything, I can still ride and I've still got a bike. Kin ell, there are many who aren't as lucky as me.

Life goes on
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 29-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,583
Default

I know you think politicians are blood suckers but Lymes Disease? Did you get out into the countryside much as it is usually caught from ticks, though some are now flourishing in towns on waste land and parks.......

I can't say 'Hope you get better' because we both know there probably isn't a better to get. Guess the best I can say is 'Have as many good days as possible.'
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 29-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Strider Strider is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Whitefield, Manchester
Posts: 1,281
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
That made me larf
Brummie southerners?
Despite now living in Manchester, I'm from Durham, anything south of the Tees is "South"

Yorkshire = Midlands, once you get past Leeds that's south

I used to live in the south too,Derby, Perry Barr and Rugby, even lived in the land of Dragons i.e. Wales
__________________
When shit hits the fan, I've learnt it will not be evenly distributed !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29-12-2017, 06:32 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
I know you think politicians are blood suckers but Lymes Disease? Did you get out into the countryside much as it is usually caught from ticks, though some are now flourishing in towns on waste land and parks.......

I can't say 'Hope you get better' because we both know there probably isn't a better to get. Guess the best I can say is 'Have as many good days as possible.'

Ticks and Lyme's disease is more common than maybe people realise and as you say the ticks are more widespread. Having dogs since I was in my 20s meant getting out in the countryside. People also don't realise the tick doesn't have to fully attach, just a small bite is enough to infect you.

Thanks for being honest, yeah much preferred and appreciated by me. You know the score with injuries and health. Some people juts cant handle the fact that I wont get better, one of my cousins Tony keeps saying I hope you feel better or get better soon. Empty words, no meanng.

My little lady had a very similar experience to me a long time before we met.
We were both wiped out by hit and run car drivers and left to die at the roadside while riding our bikes. Or in her case it was a white van man. Her wings got clipped when she was very young. I found her on a biker friendship website. Her body is still trying to repair itself. Her pelvis is growing more bone across to higher up her spine. We say she is growing her angel wings back.

Classic bad bike smash's with head spine and pelvis injuries. I am living proof of why everyone should always carry their mobile phone on them when riding !! Better still ride with someone else for the journey.
I was not found and no one witnessed the car that hit me. I was left smashed to hell, unconscious and bleeding to death under my 1st Busa in a deep ditch. Covered in bits of trees and foliage I'd picked up with me I could not be seen from the road. So after maybe 45 minutes I came around and could hear a snuffling noise and someone groaning? I assume it was some wildlife that had come to see if I was dead and the groaning sound was coming from me.

I kinda worked out fairly quickly that no one was gong to stop and help and that I had to get myself out of that ditch. The sharp end of the broken clutch lever was digging in my neck with the 1300cc bike on top of me. I was in a lot of pain and struggling to breath. (Smashed ribs and one lung half full of fluid). So me being pragmatic me, lifted the bike up with my arms which were relatively undamaged and then I had to shuffle out from under the bike on me bum. Not realising that my left femur was bust and my right pelvis had a large piece bust off it too. Yeah that hurt but at least it got me out from under the bike with my back against the side of the ditch. Took me a while to recover from moving. It started to dawn on me that I had to get a move on or I wasn't going to make it.
I removed my lid (no choice not to), I unfastened the top of my bike jacket and reached inside for my mobile phone.
My phone had a signal and it had battery left, so I dialed 999 myself.

Well it started to go a little bit worrying then becasue my head wasn't very clear and they had to find me fast.

45 minutes later after I could hear the chopper doing its standard search pattern overhead and they couldn't find me. Swallows hard. After surviving the smash it then started to dawn on me that I might not make it after all.
I thought of my wife and two kiddies and hung on just hoping. I put my arm down which was holding my phone to my ear becasue my arm was getting tired and I remember the lady at the control room kept shouting or maybe even screaming at me to "Pick up the phone!!!" I was starting to fall back into unconsciousness when they found me by pure luck.

The rest was just bad. Almost dying in hospital, being brought back to life on the operating table. The pain and morphine and the deepest darkest anger at the person who caused this and was never found.
Things got very shit after that for a long time.

But at some moment when I left hospital it dawned on me that I would realistically be able to ride again. That was the turning point and I went shit or bust to stay mobile and I practised swinging my leg over an old GPZ1100 I had in the garage for well over a year. Swinging a leg over it was the first difficulty, the next task was to be able to sit down on the seat.

The day came later on when I was to ride for the first time post smash and it was to ride the GPZ up to get it MOT'd. A few mates escorted me on their bikes and yeah it was a bit of a moment.

Now my ex wife didn't understand me getting back on. But my little lady does, she know its all about bikes. What else is there?
Live to ride..........
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,363
Default

"Touch wood" as they say I've been lucky in as much that I've come off a bike a few times, but have never suffered a broken bone! A bit of gravel rash once, and some whip lash injury, Didn't get knocked off, but due to another car driver hitting another car head on whilst trying to overtake me, causing me to break hard and then the bike hit an oil patch and over I went, me and machine hurtling towards the car smash, all in slow motion (why is that?) and me thinking "I'm gonna hit him!" That's been it regards accidents. I think I must be a lucky charmer. I think the worst damge to me was coming off and ripping the arse out of my trousers and leaving my buttocks exposed to all and sundry without me knowing it and wondering why everyone was grinning like a loon behind me!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,583
Default

[QUOTE=Friar Tuck;665933 all in slow motion (why is that?)me![/QUOTE]

The human brain is a wonderful thing and it shuts out everything that is not needed for survival. I don't know if you got the black and white vision, because colour is not needed to survive, by reducing all unnecessary input, your reflexes speed up and time seems to slow.......

In both my serious accidents the drivers gave details to the police and fucked off afterwards. The first, around 1971, where a car turned into a right hand junction, straight into me. I hit him head on but was lucky.... as I slid forward the bike slammed sideways into the front of the car and my right knee went straight through his headlamp. My right foot was trapped between the (old style steel) bumper and as the force of the impact threw me across the bonnet, it sliced the back of my boot off along with my Achilles Tendon. The guy was a paddy working on 'The lump' using somebody else's papers. The Police thought he might be IRA which caused problems just getting information. The second accident in 2002 a twat in a BMW pulled out of the kerb straight into my path. I impacted his front wing with my leg. Cops got his details and admitted fault (which was lucky for my claim) and then he pissed off from his address and couldn't be found......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30-12-2017, 07:39 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
"Touch wood" as they say I've been lucky in as much that I've come off a bike a few times, but have never suffered a broken bone! A bit of gravel rash once, and some whip lash injury, Didn't get knocked off, but due to another car driver hitting another car head on whilst trying to overtake me, causing me to break hard and then the bike hit an oil patch and over I went, me and machine hurtling towards the car smash, all in slow motion (why is that?) and me thinking "I'm gonna hit him!" That's been it regards accidents. I think I must be a lucky charmer. I think the worst damge to me was coming off and ripping the arse out of my trousers and leaving my buttocks exposed to all and sundry without me knowing it and wondering why everyone was grinning like a loon behind me!

As you say Friar, you've been lucky. All of my mates over the years have been in at least one bike accident. We say that it goes with the territory.
Not summat to make a habit of though.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30-12-2017, 07:41 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
The human brain is a wonderful thing and it shuts out everything that is not needed for survival. I don't know if you got the black and white vision, because colour is not needed to survive, by reducing all unnecessary input, your reflexes speed up and time seems to slow.......

In both my serious accidents the drivers gave details to the police and fucked off afterwards. The first, around 1971, where a car turned into a right hand junction, straight into me. I hit him head on but was lucky.... as I slid forward the bike slammed sideways into the front of the car and my right knee went straight through his headlamp. My right foot was trapped between the (old style steel) bumper and as the force of the impact threw me across the bonnet, it sliced the back of my boot off along with my Achilles Tendon. The guy was a paddy working on 'The lump' using somebody else's papers. The Police thought he might be IRA which caused problems just getting information. The second accident in 2002 a twat in a BMW pulled out of the kerb straight into my path. I impacted his front wing with my leg. Cops got his details and admitted fault (which was lucky for my claim) and then he pissed off from his address and couldn't be found......

Drivers fookin off after an accident is a lot more common now.
Thank God for the MIB !
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 30-12-2017, 07:46 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Despite now living in Manchester, I'm from Durham, anything south of the Tees is "South"

Yorkshire = Midlands, once you get past Leeds that's south

I used to live in the south too,Derby, Perry Barr and Rugby, even lived in the land of Dragons i.e. Wales

I worked a lot around Lancs in my 20s and 30s. The company I was working for did a lot of building works for the old North West Gas. I would drive up and down the M6 usually 3 times a week when I was needed on site. I like northern people because they talk straight and don't mince their words.
I've tried a few proper Lancs local meals in the pubs where we would end up after the site meetings. The lads on site very quickly sussed out which pubs you could get the best grub and a good pint.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 31-12-2017, 06:47 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,363
Default

Ah...the lancashire cocktail.... a pint of beer with a pickled onion on a stick!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 31-12-2017, 11:40 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Ah...the lancashire cocktail.... a pint of beer with a pickled onion on a stick!
Can't beat proper northern food !
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.