100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 22-07-2017, 07:08 AM
Chat Slapper

Default brake question....well brakes are good they stop you

hi all
on my sidecar build i plan to operate the back brake and a brake on sidecar wheel and have two options
do i just connect into original back brake cylinder and run a line to sidecar brake....its the same original triumph back brake on both but i want to be operating both at same time and not sure what effect that'll have on the foot operation etc etc
or fit another slave cylinder so foot lever operates two slave cylinders.....id prefer to operate off one cylinder but undecided how that would work out, i think it would generate the same pressures but with a slight increase in travel
any thoughts of wisdom welcome to avoid a trial and error thing down the line
anthony
Old 22-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

You're correct using one master cylinder to two slave cylinders will double the travel of the pedal before the brakes come on and possibly run out of reserve travel when the brakes are hot.

Bearing in mind the lack of symetry on an outfit I'd be inclined to use two master cylinders with an adjustable balance beam between them. That way if you suffer from pulling to one side or sidecar wheel locking too soon you can adjust the problem away.

p.s. You'll have to "permanently" lock up the adjuster for msva.
Old 22-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Chat Pimp

How many brake calipers and many actual pistons are involved? and what dia are they, this will give you a reference point as to what sort of ratio between caliper/piston to master cylinder you will need to aim at.
Old 23-07-2017, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

I suppose that depends if you propose to use discs or drums. If using discs, the choice of calipers and pistons depend on what type of calipers you use. Single pot, dual or four or six pots even! If its going to be a heavy old beastie, then probably a six pot caliper up front, with two four pots bringing up the rear, one for the rear wheel on the bike and one for the sidecar, or each rear wheel if it's a proper trike? I must admit, I thought that the front brakes had to be linked into the rear brakes if making an actual trike, for MSVA purposes, and an independant "Hand brake" fitted as well?
Old 23-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Chat Pimp

From the look of the project thread he has twin six pots on the front, a single six pot on the rear, and what looks like either twin single/or double on the sidecar wheel, but its the size and number of pistons that will determine the sweet spot for the master cylinder/s as the ratio will either give too much effort, no feel and a chance of sudden lock up if too large, and way too much travel to be useful if too small, its going to be a bit of trial and error, as if the rear and sidecar are to be linked, it may need a car type master cylinder to move enough fluid for it to work well.
Old 24-07-2017, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Twin six pots on the front? Looks as though he wants to turn it into a Roman Catapult!
Old 24-07-2017, 06:42 AM
Chat Slapper

Default brakes

hi thanks for advice
sidecar wheel has 2 original triumph rears which are twin pots fitted to a machined ford disc which is slighly bigger than triumph rear and bike has original rear cylinder as would be used with a triumph, front has honda sp2 six pots with the correct master fitted off a honda sp2 so they should be ok
was think adding another back cylinder as per advice will search net for master beam setups and see what you mean, i am running car wheels so locking up shouldnt be an issue i hopes
best regards
anthony