100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 21-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Default Not a bike question but still important

God help me but I am getting married next year and one of the things I need to work out is power for the band.

The marquee backs onto a pub, so the marquee lighting is sorted as it will plug into the pub mains.

The pub is not willing to plug the band in though and has advised that I will need a genny for that.

The band apparently has a 8k sound system plus lights, so I am trying to find out what size genny I would need, all the ones I've seen for hire quote kVA.

Also 10kVA upwards ones, they want a 5000 deposit!! as they are considered "commercial"
Old 21-06-2017, 10:06 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Ask the band what they would normally run off and go from there. i.e. 13 amp plug etc.

A small genny will have power fluctuations which will not do their kit any good so you might need something to smooth the supply out such as a UPS or a conditioner.
Old 21-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Chat Slapper

Can't help at the moment Strider, but on Tuesday a bloke who runs sound/ light systems for a living will be back in my area. I'll ask him for the info.if you haven't got an answer by then. He's down in Devon doing a gig at the moment.
Old 22-06-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post
Ask the band what they would normally run off and go from there. i.e. 13 amp plug etc.

A small genny will have power fluctuations which will not do their kit any good so you might need something to smooth the supply out such as a UPS or a conditioner.
The band has said that they can run off mains, as many different sockets as possible but the pub is very wary of them plugging in to their system. I believe that she is genuinely concerned about it going tits up and popping their breakers etc in the middle of the gig and the event
Old 22-06-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetlee View Post
Can't help at the moment Strider, but on Tuesday a bloke who runs sound/ light systems for a living will be back in my area. I'll ask him for the info.if you haven't got an answer by then. He's down in Devon doing a gig at the moment.

Cheers, got plenty time
Old 22-06-2017, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

Huw, you 're in a band, what do you do?
Old 22-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

The landlady is right to be concerned as most pub electrical systems are shot to fuck but they won't pay to sort them out.

If you know the rough amperage requirement we can work out what size genny they require from there.

Easy enough calculation, amps x volts/1000 will give you the rough Kva you need.
Old 22-06-2017, 09:11 PM
Chat Virgin

One of the reasons a genny hire firm I worked for charged big deposits for that sort of gig was that small gennies are very nickable and so are the batteries. we had a 2ton gennie lifted at a festival . They took the cables too!
Old 27-06-2017, 03:27 PM
Chat Slapper

Strider, I spoke briefly to the bloke who supplies light/sound to various sites, he's back from a job in Devon.
I have the electrical understanding of a chocolate mouse and most of what he said was completely beyond me, but as Strima pointed out earlier, he said you need to find out from the band what is their power consumption/ requirement.
He said that a generator called an 'Inverter' generator will supply power with no spikes or fluctuations in current supply but unlike conventional gennys which will produce anything up to 50,000 watts, the Inverters tend to be from 1,000 to 4,000 although they can be found up to 6,500 watts.
He said they run quietly, are fuel efficient and won't wreck sensitive Amplifiers and stage gear with a sudden increase or decrease in engine revs/output.
For a small light show and 4 piece band he said he's used a 5 KVH genny with no problems at all. He said If the pub is supplying power for lighting a 2.5 or 3.5 KVH will sort the average band requirement out.

Paying big deposits on hiring them is about par for the course he reckons, but for a quiet, reliable power supply without fades or surges he reckons that's your best bet. If you find out what power is needed the hire company will advise on which genny is capable.

That's it mate I'm afraid, after that he started waffling about lighting..moon lights, ghosters, pin spots and some other stuff that sounded like a Martian menu...
Old 27-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Cheers for that, looks like I need more info on the band equipment