100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 18-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Chat Slut

Default trike MOT

I've just taken my car engined trike for its mot It failed on a lack of rear view mirrors (but passed last year). They also said that next year I will need a wieght certificate for it. A few daYS later a friend took his VW trike to a different local garage and he was told that trikes now need hazard lights, two headlamps if they are over a certain width. and seat belts most now be fitted if a trike uses car type seats. All this appears to tie in with the new registration regs but is being applied to trikes that have been on the road for years. Has anyone else found this to be the case recently. Is it happening nationwide. and will everyones winter rebuilds fail there spring mot's 'cause a load of new mot regulations have been brought in over the winter.
Old 19-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Chatter Box

Yeah shame but it's true.
We did warn everyone about this in the mag. There has been a recent review on trike MoT standards and distributed it to all testing stations.
You don't need seat belts on a bike type saddle/dual seat but bench and outboard seats need lap belts.
You must have hazards- and we've explained how to fit them in the mag.
You must have two mirrors.
Old 20-09-2004, 05:19 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to davesatan Send a message via Yahoo to davesatan

so is this all trikes alik or just ones newer than a set date ?

i need legal advice help
Old 20-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Chatter Box

I'm sorry to say that this is ALL trikes.
It's more of a pain in the arse than a potential disaster though. If you've been reading TRIKE TEK then the MoT will hold no fears for you. The scariest thing is how MoT testers decide to interpret the new rules.
Just for the record I put a trike through the MSVA today and it was easier than some MoT's I had. The MSVA testers have no grey areas so if it's in the manual it has to be on the trike. Unfortunately MoT testers are allowed 'DISCRETION' which is sometimes a bit like making a bag lady prime minister..!
Old 21-09-2004, 08:15 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alik Windrush
...a bit like making a bag lady prime minister..!

UMMM !! I think we've already tried that,how is her plucky son these days?Still in Africa,somewhere?
Old 22-09-2004, 02:06 AM
Chatter Box

I guess thst it's possible that he's going to be kept by one taxpayer or another for some time..!
Old 29-09-2004, 02:40 AM
Chat Virgin

anyone know where a copy of these rules can be obtained? am scared that my trike is very much not compliant. is there a back issue with a summary of said rules available?

cheers
iain
Old 29-09-2004, 06:51 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

what the width the trike needs to be before needing twins at the front?
Old 29-09-2004, 04:22 PM

tis ok i found it
1700mm needs twins on the front
means i'm ok as ours is only 1300mm
Old 01-10-2004, 05:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to Creature

nope that is fine
Old 07-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Chatter Box

It's just as well that you left the indicator warning lamps wired in because they represent the required 'tell-tale' warning lamps.
Yep on our 'V'6 trike we wired the hazards through a double pole domestic 'cooker' switch. You could of course just put a switch between the left and right hand indicator wires and hazards would then cost about 60 pence.
Did you see the more reent simplified wiring diagram? Sure the bits cost about 30 (from vehicle wiring products) and you could save money by going to your local Maplin Electronics store; but it takes about 5-10 mins to fit and always works.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:23 PM

Smile Fitting Hazard lights/flashers to Bike-trike & New MOT law's

Hi happy biker an Alk

I have a old 77 GL1000 engined trike.

Happybiker will your electric diagram work on my bike, or is it just for car engined trikes?

Alk

What things do I have to watch out for, as far as new MOT gose? I know about the hazards, etc...
Old 11-10-2004, 01:40 AM
Chatter Box

If you have more than two seats then you'll need to think about lap strap seat belts. Wider than 1700 mm then you'll need twin headlamps.
Two handlebar mirrors and running lights mounted within 400 mm of the widest point.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:14 PM

Default Trike is OK then (54 inches at widest piont)

Thanks Alik
My trike is only 54 inches wide at widest piont. It as running lights on rear mud gaurds. It's got a hand brake (park brake) So I think it's ok!
I sent for the bits that are listed in the Trike Tech section of 100% biker (issue 54) So when they arrive I am going to be busy.
Old 14-10-2004, 06:23 PM

Alik
I got the hazard light bits (as recomended in issue 54 of 100%) from the place in Derbyshire. So here gose! Wish me luck, I mean I am a woodcarver not a bike sparky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 14-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Chat Slapper

One of my best mates is the owner of a car MOT station, (doesn't do trikes, more's the pity), and when I asked him about the situation, he's adamant (the people are the warriors...) that they can't impose new requirements on trikes which have already been registered and MOT'd, and that the whole thing will be date-specific.
His example was classic cars - no seatbelts - little flip-out indicators (remember them?) and various other "missing" things that are now neccesary requirements. Imagine the uproar (and the compensation claims for loss of value) if the owners had to add extra lights, indicators and hazards.
That said, he's due to go on a refresher course next month, so if anything's changed, I'll pass it on .

The worst thing about my trike is the nut that holds the handlebars
Old 14-10-2004, 09:59 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Spook

Thanks for that Spook, I bought 'em so I might as well fit 'em or have 'em fitted if I make a hic-up.

I think that they would be good to have; the trike broke down on me in the Queens way under pass, in Brum a few weeks ago! I am a disabled rider an had no way of getting out o' the messy situation; car's an' other bikes an' bikers just went around me obliviouse to the fact that I had actually broke down. I even had some car drivers pip their car horn's an curse at me for blocking their way! Eventually a couple of guys stopped in a van an give us a push out of the tunnel! So I think i'll carry on an fit em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30-11-2004, 11:55 AM

I have an old trike, built ages ago and is registered as a classic vehicle. How do I stand on the handbrake, which is underneath the trike and upside-down. To apply it, you have to get off and kneel down beside the trike to apply it. If the lihts, hazards, handbrake etc have to be altered it would no longer be the classic vehicle it is now.
Old 30-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Not sure on a classic but on a new registration you have to be able to apply the handbrake with one hand while sitting on the trike
you'll dance with the reaper."
Old 02-12-2004, 01:58 AM
Chatter Box

As far as I'm aware; the regs for the MoT are simply that you have a handbrake that works.
Its a bit like the speedo MoT rule where you have to have one but they aint got the means to test it so it don't have to work.!
Old 03-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alik Windrush
Its a bit like the speedo MoT rule where you have to have one but they aint got the means to test it so it don't have to work.!
MMmm not sure about this. My mates reliant trike failed because the handbrake was not effective enough !!

Just as a note:- I have recently heard that the handbrake can lock any one of the three wheels. So things could be tidied up by locking the front caliper ??
you'll dance with the reaper."
Old 04-12-2004, 04:35 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Handbrake has to work on all the wheels of any axle, according to DVLA test station man when i spoke to him, so front wheel would be ok so long as it dosnt use same hydraulic pipe used for front brake...........having said that I have heard of folks using lever clamp on bars and passing trike mot, so I guess i all depends on how you mot man interprits rules, or accepts bribes...............if id wanted to wander round a minefield id have gone to iraq..........
Old 05-12-2004, 02:13 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOK
One of my best mates is the owner of a car MOT station, (doesn't do trikes, more's the pity), and when I asked him about the situation, he's adamant (the people are the warriors...) that they can't impose new requirements on trikes which have already been registered and MOT'd, and that the whole thing will be date-specific.
His example was classic cars - no seatbelts - little flip-out indicators (remember them?) and various other "missing" things that are now neccesary requirements. Imagine the uproar (and the compensation claims for loss of value) if the owners had to add extra lights, indicators and hazards.
That said, he's due to go on a refresher course next month, so if anything's changed, I'll pass it on .
You don't remember when cars had to be retro fitted with windscreen washers and seatbelts then...?
Old 22-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Chat Virgin

Default hazards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alik Windrush View Post
Yeah shame but it's true.
We did warn everyone about this in the mag. There has been a recent review on trike MoT standards and distributed it to all testing stations.
You don't need seat belts on a bike type saddle/dual seat but bench and outboard seats need lap belts.
You must have hazards- and we've explained how to fit them in the mag.
You must have two mirrors.
You do not need hazards if your ride was 1st registered before 1986
i have a Honda cx500 trike 1982 .. never needed hazards for MOT
Old 22-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Chat Virgin

Default handbrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by addjunkie View Post
Handbrake has to work on all the wheels of any axle, according to DVLA test station man when i spoke to him, so front wheel would be ok so long as it dosnt use same hydraulic pipe used for front brake...........having said that I have heard of folks using lever clamp on bars and passing trike mot, so I guess i all depends on how you mot man interprits rules, or accepts bribes...............if id wanted to wander round a minefield id have gone to iraq..........
On a Trike .. ONLY 1 wheel needs to lock to pass the MOT
Old 22-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx500_triker View Post
On a Trike .. ONLY 1 wheel needs to lock to pass the MOT
Bollocks......
Old 29-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin Laden View Post
Bollocks......
Aye, and he revived a 6 year old thread just to misinform everyone
Old 29-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

its actually bollox on both counts, not just one LOL
Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bin Laden View Post
Bollocks......
Whereas, a simple " I think you may be mistaken, I was told it had to be both ", might have been a bit more helpful.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOK View Post

my 53 bsa still needs a brake light switch even though it never had one from new. and the rule requiring it was brought in later.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php