100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 01-05-2017, 11:02 AM
Chat Virgin

Default rusted downpipe threads

About 100 years ago I remember seeing an article in 100% about freeing rusted nuts holding downpipe flanges. It had the usual tips like soaking them in oil and using an impact wrench, But there were some real gems like after a 24 hour soak run the engine up to operating temperature the idea being to replicate the conditions under which the nuts/studs rusted in the first place.
I now find myself in the position of having to replace a stock exhaust before my bike is examined by an insurance bod. The nuts are just blobs of rust but they used to be a steel tube with a thread in one end and a hex/allen hole in the other.
I really can't afford the hassle of having to deal with studs sheared off at the head as there is no access to get a drill on them.
I'm trying to collect a battery of tips and using them all together. tho' if I start looking through my collection of back issues I won't come up for air for days.
It's a kwak vn800 with steel nuts and studs into an ali head. If any one can help I'd be really grateful
Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

If you can weld a nut on the end, the heat should help free off any corrosion and give you something better to grip onto.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:11 PM
Chat Virgin

Thanx strima. mostly I'm worried about shearing the stud off flush with the head. All four are in a bad way re rusty nuts and I can't get a good look at the studs while the flanges are in situ. If the nuts come off cleanly I'll just clean up the threads and fit new nuts. I don't want to get involved in taking the studs out unless they're obviously loose.
The bottom line is that a woman pulled out on me last week and it looks like the headstock and frame are pissed which is a write-off but I can't remember if I declared the aftermarket zorst when I bought the policy 10 months ago. If I can put the stock one back it negates the chance of my policy being invalidated for non disclosure and it saves me having to spend 550 on a new pair of straight shots for the vn I've got to replace her.
Thanx again for the quick reply
DS
Old 02-05-2017, 05:13 AM
Super Moderator

Couldn't you just replace the end cans with some stock cans? I must admit this is the first time I've heard about an insurance claim being refused because of wrong exhausts being fitted. Lots of bikes are fitted with after market jobbies nowadays, refitting them usually only affects MOTs. If you are that worried I'd just take off the end cans (if there are any of course, you do have some dort of baffling I take it?) and get hold of some old cans with a load of dents and say to the inspector that the got damaged in the crash?

At least then you have time to the down pipes seen to at your leisure. When I bought back my old bike I had exactly the same problem with downpipes rusting through. I chickened out and took it to DRD's in North Walsham and got them to sort it!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Chat Pimp

I would be very surprised if an insurance claim inspector could accurately identify just which exhaust should be fitted to any particular bike, i have had them examine cars and unless its absolutely glaringly obviously an aftermarket part they wont know.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Yeah, you might get a jobsworth but in my experience insurance examiner types are pretty relaxed about such things. I (allegedly) once had an XJ650 chop that I hadn't declared the extensive mods on and the assessor was good as gold. Said he would have normally just wrote it off but seeing how much work had gone into it, he offered me the option of whether I wanted him to make it financially unviable for repair or not. Very civil I thought. That was a no fault claim though, they might be a bit arsier if the company that's paying them had to pay?
Old 02-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Chat Virgin

Unfortunateely they are obviously a/m pipes and if I leave the down pipes on I still have to buy a new set for my new bike.
I think I'll just buy a set of replacement nuts ant grind the old ones away with a dremel. that seems the safest bet if not the quickest.thanx for your feedback
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2017, 02:15 PM
Chat Virgin

Whoops!
That photo came out a lot larger than I expected
Old 03-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

I don't see those pipes being a problem with an insurance claim?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

In my experience insurance companies only get arsy if there's lots of money involved. So unless there's been a fatallity or life changing injuries to an accident victim, they rarely try to fight a claim.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:19 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Nice bike though...
Old 07-05-2017, 03:46 PM
Chat Virgin

Default every silver lining has a cloud

So, I decide to dive in head first, if the first stud shears off I'll resort to the dremel.so I give the nuts another dowsing in 3 in 1 (they've been dripping on my garage floor for 3 nights now) and take her for what may be a goodbye spin round the town. When I get back I leave her ticking over on fast idle till the fan comes on.
Every single stud unscrewed from the head with no problem at all.
The cloud is there because these exhausts were originally made for a vn classic so I had to space the footboards out to make them fit tidy. Turns out that every time I ground them on a corner I bent the 3" long bolts a tad, BOTH the buggers snapped off flush with the frame.
Oh well at least I can get a file and a drill on them. I've got a couple or three hours before it gets dark.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:51 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
Nice bike though...
Thanx buster,
I originally bought her with the idea of riding her till the warranty expired then using her as a donor bike for a bobber or small cruiser/chopper.
I drew up all the plans, researched people to do the jobs I couldn't and started collecting bits. Trouble is every time I start seriously thinking about introducing her to mr angle grinder someone will stop me in the street to tell me what a lovely looking bike she is, and involving me in a (usually quite interesting) story about their days as a despatch rider in the trenches. Then when I get her into the 'shed of no return' I can't bring myself to do it.
16 years this has been going on I'm still buying the odd bits when they come up and I often lull myself to sleep planning in what order to tackle the work.
Now the problem has been solved for me. assuming The ins co. will sell her back to me..
Old 08-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750dave View Post
So, I decide to dive in head first, if the first stud shears off I'll resort to the dremel.so I give the nuts another dowsing in 3 in 1 (they've been dripping on my garage floor for 3 nights now) and take her for what may be a goodbye spin round the town. When I get back I leave her ticking over on fast idle till the fan comes on.
Every single stud unscrewed from the head with no problem at all.
The cloud is there because these exhausts were originally made for a vn classic so I had to space the footboards out to make them fit tidy. Turns out that every time I ground them on a corner I bent the 3" long bolts a tad, BOTH the buggers snapped off flush with the frame.
Oh well at least I can get a file and a drill on them. I've got a couple or three hours before it gets dark.
Just goes to prove, it's not always the obvious that trips you up......