100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default Mick Berrill motorcycle shop

Based in northampton.

Are they good eggs, it be nice to know before buy from them
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Chatter Box

Location: Berkshire boy at heart, now living in sunny Northants

Very very old fashioned sort of bike shop, seem genuine enough on the few rare occasions that I have been in there.... I might be wrong but aint used em much

Making bad taste look good!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:49 AM

Not been in there for 10 years or more. Last time I went in there, the guy was a right miserable whinging fucker. Didn't like him at all. There again he probably didn't like me. Maybe I caught them on an off day.

They used to have some pretty decent stuff in there. Prices were ok and I had heard from others that service was pretty good. To be honest, when I lived in Northampton I don't think I heard anything that would have made me avoid them completely. Not heard any horror stories about them.

If you are in Northampton and need bike stuff. Have a word with Dave Barringer at "Northants V-Twin. I know him well, know his work very well and know for a fact that he is an all round good guy. Proper mechanic of very high standing.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR View Post
They used to have some pretty decent stuff in there. Prices were ok and I had heard from others that service was pretty good. To be honest, when I lived in Northampton I don't think I heard anything that would have made me avoid them completely. Not heard any horror stories about them.
Chopper

Thanks mate good to know
------------------------
Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Chat Virgin

good people from what i remember sold jawa's cz's a crossers been around for ages ian kilner at revo's was a good bloke i worked at a bike breakers in northampton for a short while years ago "davrons" when i was 17 they bought there old stock of forks engines frames etc they were down st micheals rd i was dumped there for a week sorting it all out for the van trips there was loads of it up a down 2 flights of stairs! ian was really nice and the rest of em ncc blokes saw some nice builds going on about 2 years? later i went to the tt with my dad and he said hi at ramsey sprint i was suprised he rememberd me he let met and my dad sit on his drag bike a green fj1200? it was in bsh i had a sniff of the petrol (methonal?) they used it stank!!!
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Chat Virgin

sorry to change the subject just mick berrils rung a bell and i thought of revo's my bike came from them so iv been told
Old 06-01-2013, 02:14 PM

Thanks, I bought from them yesterday... Delivery Tuesday
------------------------
Old 06-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Chat Slut

Send a message via ICQ to Mash Send a message via Skype™ to Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR View Post
If you are in Northampton and need bike stuff. Have a word with Dave Barringer at "Northants V-Twin. I know him well, know his work very well and know for a fact that he is an all round good guy. Proper mechanic of very high standing.
Dave's an absolutely top bloke...My only complaint is that its a bit far to go for a service
Outstanding service from Northants V-Twin as well...Alongside a cracking cup of tea
Old 07-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt d View Post
good people from what i remember sold jawa's cz's a crossers been around for ages ian kilner at revo's was a good bloke i worked at a bike breakers in northampton for a short while years ago "davrons" when i was 17 they bought there old stock of forks engines frames etc they were down st micheals rd i was dumped there for a week sorting it all out for the van trips there was loads of it up a down 2 flights of stairs! ian was really nice and the rest of em ncc blokes saw some nice builds going on about 2 years? later i went to the tt with my dad and he said hi at ramsey sprint i was suprised he rememberd me he let met and my dad sit on his drag bike a green fj1200? it was in bsh i had a sniff of the petrol (methonal?) they used it stank!!!
Blimey, that brings back memories. Davrons was well known for being blody mean when it came to prices. I used to supply them with workshop consumables. The bloke in charge was called Alex. He had ears like the FA Cup handles. Great bloke that could drink for England.

Unfortunately the bloke that actually owned Davrons, was a complete asshole. Everybody hated him. Alex used to order stuff for himself and I would put it on the owners invoice. Daft twat never caught on. I needed a pair of calipers for my FJ and told Alex. Alex found me a pair of R1 blue dot calipers in return for another order of stuff he needed for hiw own work. I never got round to fitting the calipers as Ian Kilner gave me a pair that fitted perfectly. I still have the R1 calipers.

I was calling at Davrons one day when there was a bit of a flurry outside the shop. The pykies were on the hunt for something to steal. Everyone rushed around locking stuff up. All except the owner of Davrons, he had left a Yamaha Majesty outside. The pykies had it away. The owner was going nuts because nobody would go to the pykie camp and get it back. Couple of hours later the owner of Davrons saw the Majesty parked up. He jumped on it and managed to get it started just as the pykies saw him. He roared off with the pykies chasing him to get "Thier" scooter back!! The pykies chased him all round town, even up on the pavement. He managed to get as far as the cop shop, parked on the pavement and ran into the cop shop. While he was telling the cops about it, the pykies roared off on the scooter.

The owner of Davrons called the shop and told one of the guys to come and pick him up, then take him back to his nice new shiny car. All of us just sat there drinking tea and laughing at him. In the end he got a taxi back to where his car WAS!! The pykies had that as well. Horrible bastard went bust in the end.

Alex went off on his own and opened his own bike shop. I used to suply his workshop. Very sad, but the poor sod died soon after from liver cancer.

Chopper

Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 PM

Smile

SGT D

If you were at the TT when Ian Kilner was there, you probably met me as well. I used to run the team for Ian. I got BSH to sponsor the team and they paid for us to go to the TT. We stopped at The Viking Hotel in Ramsey for a whole week.

The Ramsey Sprint was a brilliant day for the team as we won two great big trophies. Outright Competition winner and Fastest Time of the Day. Ian got faster every time he ran the bike. Just before the last run we had a bit of a crew conference and decided that as we had the best engine back in the workshop, Ian should go balls out for a new speed record.

On his last run, his burnout left a black stripe up the front of the ambulance. The driver would not be told despite several attempts by me. He knew better than everyone else and knew more about racing blah blah blah. I gave up in the end and left him to it. Served him right, knobhead.

Ian was 2 thousandths of a second off a new all time record. I really though the engine was going to blow as there was so much N02 being pumped in. The crowd went wild when they saw Ian roaring down Ramsey front with the rear tyre lit up. I still have some pictures of us taken on the day. Brilliant memories.

Hey, for someone that doesn't drink, I sure did justice to numerous bottles of Newcastle Brown that night back in the hotel. I was pissed as a fart, then Ian wanted to fight the Germans that were staying there...... thats another story.

Chopper

Old 07-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Chat Virgin

i do remember an alex there i thought he went of to work at a main dealers in northampton a "super market" type place which has now folded "fa cup handles" wernt that was a bloke called harvey? gobby bloke did the mot's and they rented a corner to a bloke called charlie who tuned scooters up i may be wrong it was a while ago now it was a good old fashoined bike breakers back then i was there for the summer the "boss" was a twat no one liked him.When i was there it was run by a guy who was a bouncer in the town as well a short stocky bloke with achne scars after i left i popped in a year or so later and it had all changed not a breakers anymore they were selling new grey inports had a quick chat with a mechanic who was in a mc club or so he said next time im round me mums i'll try find the photos of the tt 96 i think?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
i do remember an alex there i thought he went of to work at a main dealers in northampton a "super market" type place which has now folded "fa cup handles" wernt that was a bloke called harvey? gobby bloke did the mot's and they rented a corner to a bloke called charlie who tuned scooters up i may be wrong it was a while ago now it was a good old fashoined bike breakers back then i was there for the summer the "boss" was a twat no one liked him.When i was there it was run by a guy who was a bouncer in the town as well a short stocky bloke with achne scars after i left i popped in a year or so later and it had all changed not a breakers anymore they were selling new grey inports had a quick chat with a mechanic who was in a mc club or so he said next time im round me mums i'll try find the photos of the tt 96 i think?
Harvey, thats the bloke. Dunno where I got the name Alex from. When Davron folded, Harvey went to M&P at Billing. He got really hacked off there and then went to do his own thing. There was also another breakers in the town, just round the corner from Revolution. Can't remember the guys name, but he was ok. Dead skinny bloke with long black hair. Used to have quite a laugh with him. His missus was a real wierdo, bloody horrible she was. How the fuck he kept the place going I have no idea. I went in there one day and there was a bailiff there getting really heavy. I paid for some parts and he just handed the cash to the bailiff!!! Funny way to run a business.

Sorry but I can't remember what year the TT was that we attended. I will have a look for the pictures and stuff.

Chopper

Old 08-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

in about 1990 when i was a student i rode a 250 superdream from reading to Daventry to do a couple of days work painting a 17t truck for a PA company i did some crewing for. When I got their I realised the keys had jumped out of the screwdrivered ignition somewhere on route. I needed to fill up to get home and knew all superdream tanks took either any left handed or any right handed key. As one of the PA engineers rode a bike and lived in N'hampton he directed me to a breakers there (they were in a single story shack kind of place) who let me go through there big box of keys. When silly me tried one that fitted the tank in the ignition and managed to switch it off they also showed me how to short circuit the ignition (join centre 2 pins on the white 6 way in the back of the light) so I could get home. Otherwise I would probably have had to buy a new ignition barrel from a dealer to even get home
Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Chat Virgin

you rode a dream that far...i dont know whats worse the bike or daventry ........... its probely daventry
Old 08-01-2013, 11:37 PM

Yep, good eggs they are
------------------------
Old 09-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
you rode a dream that far...i dont know whats worse the bike or daventry ........... its probely daventry
Even worse it was 2 up with a 16 stone pillion so struggling to break indicated 65/70 - and the reason the keys came out was vibration caused by it running really bad due to what I found later was burnt valves. By the time i got back to Reading it would only run with the choke half out and was struggling to make 40mph, a compresion tester (one of the ones you put in the spark plug hole) would not register anything on 1 cylinder and sod all on the other. I reground the valves with an electric drill and grinding paste and then about 1k miles later the cam chain snapped and it finally went for scrap
Old 15-12-2016, 02:36 PM

Back in the 70's Berills was run by the 'Mick Berril and he was a crook. We used to call it Berril the Perrils and I bought a Tiger cub from them. For those that don't know, the kick start & gear lever were the same unit. You folded it back to kick start the bike & then flipped it back to work as the gear lever. They had packed it out with some thin metal as the splines were completely stripped and then sold it to me. Shortly after it became impossible to select gear or kick over. I went back to get them to fix it and all I got was 'Triumph has gone bust and parts are impossible to get' shortly followed by 'Piss off' after I complained. I swore I would neber go back but took a bike for MOT there back in 2011 & they seemed OK, new blood I suppose.

Davrons... I took my Ducati monster there for an MOT. At the time it was sporting a shortened underbelly exhaust that sounded like a jumbo jet being kickstarted.... They had not long bought in the 85 decibel ruling and when he fired the bike up & revved it the noise was... shall we say, impressive. He turned to me and said 'I guess it's not much louder than standard and I got a pass'. You have a job finding places like that anymore.

M&P went tits up because their customer service was abysmal. I dropped the Duke when the rear tyre punctures d & broke the rear light plastic. It took 6 months to get a new one, again swore I would never go back.....

Happy memories....
Old 15-12-2016, 10:47 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Back in the 70's Berills was run by the 'Mick Berril and he was a crook. We used to call it Berril the Perrils and I bought a Tiger cub from them. For those that don't know, the kick start & gear lever were the same unit. You folded it back to kick start the bike & then flipped it back to work as the gear lever. They had packed it out with some thin metal as the splines were completely stripped and then sold it to me. Shortly after it became impossible to select gear or kick over. I went back to get them to fix it and all I got was 'Triumph has gone bust and parts are impossible to get' shortly followed by 'Piss off' after I complained. I swore I would neber go back but took a bike for MOT there back in 2011 & they seemed OK, new blood I suppose.

Davrons... I took my Ducati monster there for an MOT. At the time it was sporting a shortened underbelly exhaust that sounded like a jumbo jet being kickstarted.... They had not long bought in the 85 decibel ruling and when he fired the bike up & revved it the noise was... shall we say, impressive. He turned to me and said 'I guess it's not much louder than standard and I got a pass'. You have a job finding places like that anymore.

M&P went tits up because their customer service was abysmal. I dropped the Duke when the rear tyre punctures d & broke the rear light plastic. It took 6 months to get a new one, again swore I would never go back.....

Happy memories....
Most bike shops in northampton have gone bust and no surprises there.
Mick Berill shops is still there in the ethnic quarter.
Hien Gericke shop was full of useless staff who acted like they didn't want to be there.
The Honda shop went and some of the staff went to a new Yammie dealer, I've been in there twice since it opened and no one even acknowledged me or my 19 year od son who is into bikes. No change there.
Riverside went bust ages ago that was Carnells.
The Kawasaki shop at Finedon closed then reopened as another bike shop which closed within a short time. Reopened in a different name with a handful of old bikes in there now but not much going on when I pass through.
Northampton V-Twin is still there.

The Triumph shop at Wellingborough and I got on well until one of their sales staff gave me a load of abuse when I walked in with my son and I haven't been back since. I hope he has left Triumph and that I never see him again. Its not how you sell a new Rocket 3 or sell bikes generally to a cash customer. A totally and utterly surreal situation.
Old 15-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Jedi Chat Master

On a positive note Arch motorcycles in Leamington were my favourite when they had a shop in Warwick street and a back entrance onto another street.

I always found Carnells in Birmingham a very decent bunch of people and a good atmos in there. Made some good friends there who I still see from time to time.
Old 17-12-2016, 10:38 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I used to call in Midland Superbikes at Market Harborough before the nightmare happened. What a horror story that was !!
I had a biker contact me online who had paid a deposit on a bike in there after seeing it online. But he had some doubts and asked me if I would help him get his deposit back, which I did after I popped in and had a chat with them.
But a lot of people got badly burned in that mess.
Old 18-12-2016, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

When I lived in Middleton (just outside Corby) there used to be a load of good independant bike shops knocking around. There used to be one just down the back on Rockingham Road in Kettering. Then there used to be two in Market Harborough. One on the main drag into the town and the other if I recall was behind the filling station just as you go in to Harborough on the old A427.

I always thought Mick Berrill had a fairly good reputation? The other one I remember was Mick Hemmings I think. Corby itself had a couple but the one that stuck with me was Corby Kawasaki. I think there was another one along Rockingham road in Corby as well. It's been years since I last went to Corby though.
Old 19-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
When I lived in Middleton (just outside Corby) there used to be a load of good independant bike shops knocking around. There used to be one just down the back on Rockingham Road in Kettering. Then there used to be two in Market Harborough. One on the main drag into the town and the other if I recall was behind the filling station just as you go in to Harborough on the old A427.

I always thought Mick Berrill had a fairly good reputation? The other one I remember was Mick Hemmings I think. Corby itself had a couple but the one that stuck with me was Corby Kawasaki. I think there was another one along Rockingham road in Corby as well. It's been years since I last went to Corby though.
I can't speak for Mick Berrill, I've had look at the used bikes there a couple of times. The shop guys seem decent.

Corby Kawasaki is still there not far from Rockingham raceway.
But its cheaper and quicker for me to order Kawa parts from Cradely Kawasaki and have them sent in the post.
Not sure about any other bike shops, the amount of investment and new roads in Corby is immense and I don't know my way round.
My mate at Greenhill racign who did the engine build on my supercharhged bike was at the back of Rockingham Raceway in a well concealed unit.
Smart idea considering the moneys worth of race bikes he had in there.
But he packed his bags and left and the unit has gone completely!

But my little lady says a lot of the bike shops have gone in Northampton compared to 25 years ago. The BMW car dealer is now doing BMW bikes and they have a "bikers cafe" in the dealer.

Mostly they are chucking up housing and shopping centres around Northants.

The King Billy is still open and having bikes and rock bands there.

Last edited by HOS; 19-12-2016 at 06:37 PM.