100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > New Member Introductions

Notices

Old 23-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Chat Virgin

Default Hi everyone, Exeter calling

Hi all,
So I've been a subscriber of BSH for more than a few years. But since a certain editorial staff change, I've not really been enjoying it. so bugger it, it's out the window! onwards and upwards as they say. (Do they also say how big a twat Nik is??)
I have a '76 550 four and a '78 GS1000 that are both in the shed. This brings me to a question: I have had the GS engine apart and the barrells were pretty badly marked, I honed the marks out with a rotary cylinder de-glazer but now need to work out if it's within tolerance for new rings or whether it will need reboring and new pistons/rings. does anyone know of someone in the south west of UK that could check it and/or rebore it? I don't want to go to a dealer because they wouldn't be doing the engineering but just taking extra cash!
Also - how far do I go with it? should I get the crank done if it has to be rebored? should I chuck new carbs at it if the crank gets done? would I then have to upgrade the suspension and brakes? I don't mind doing it as the GS is a long time love but A: where do I start? and B: where do I stop?!!
Can't think about doing the 550 until the GS is back but i'm thinking that it should come back way different from the original - any ideas?
Anyway cheers,
Sluey
Old 24-08-2016, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Sluey. It makes a change to say to "Hello" to a newbie rather than banning them for a spammer, I can tell you.

Well, what poser of a question. For starters there a few good chaps on here that are good engineers and help you quite a lot. Harry is our resident Tech Guru (We volunteered him!) Hos is another good guy as he seems to hibernate in his shed for long periods of time. Me? I just get in the way and make Smart Alec comments!

Right the first Smart Alec comment is: Do you want to go the whole hog and customise the GS? Or is it good enough to return to original? If you throw the dosh at it and go the whole restoration route you might just end up with near concourse bike worth a few bob but no where near as much as the time, heartache and cash that you've put into it. But in the long term you should recoup it.

If you go the customised route the same thing applies but you will never recover your investment.

However if you just refurb the engine by going one size over tolerance, and when I say refurb I mean just re-bore the piston and regrind the crank, cam, etc. But keep it "standard" i.e no fancy tuning, the engine will keep you in good stead for whether you go down the "Classic" or "Customised" route.

Good luck Matey! Personally I'd go down the "Classic" route as by looking at the way you say it has some sentimental value to you. Otherwise I'd go the customised rout and watch my cash disappear down the drain. But think of the satisfaction at the end when you see the finished article and say "I did that ..Me!" Just hope it doesn't end up like looking like a dog though.....
Old 24-08-2016, 12:38 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Welcome, for all Suzuki tech stuff the best place for info would be: http://oldskoolsuzuki.info/forums/
Old 24-08-2016, 07:27 PM
Chatter Box

Default rat it.

welcome mate , im in plymouth.
rat the 550, chop the gs, sorted.
Old 25-08-2016, 05:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mick's also broke.....!
Old 03-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Need to Get out More!

I've literally just come out of the shed and read this.
Ive just finished fitting the V&H 4 into1 pipes on my retro.
Hello Sluey, welcome to the forum.
Yes oldschoolsuzuki is a good place for technical stuff although we don't do too bad here with our own crowd for technical support.

Reading your intro reminded me of this beauty I happend upon on my way thro town this summer. Spot the tasty upgrades. Same pipes as Ive just fitted cept mine are bit less shiney.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Yes oldschoolsuzuki is a good place for technical stuff although we don't do too bad here with our own crowd for technical support.

Reading your intro reminded me of this beauty I happend upon on my way thro town this summer. Spot the tasty upgrades. Same pipes as Ive just fitted cept mine are bit less shiney.
I have just made sex wee!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

That's alright, that is!
Old 05-09-2016, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post

Ooh! I've come over all of a quiver!.....