100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 29-05-2016, 12:58 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Lighting the way.

LEDs 101.
I'll start this by apologising. I got this info, and the pics/vids are on a 4x4 (a 4L Jeep Cherokee) but the tech is transferable, and from personal experience, there's a massive advantage and a healthy increase in safety. In my defence, I was a member of a voluntary organisation that worked with Kent council/police/search & rescue during bad weather/snow/floods.
LEDs. You may or may not have any experience with these, but you may have noticed a few new cars boasting LED headlights, (Seat & Ford) I beat them to it by at least 8 months, and without boasting, there was NOTHING on UK roads that came close to the forward facing light output I had on the Jeep. I had Cree 12.5/30w H4 headlights, and 90" of Cree lightbars @ 500w (20" 120w, 30" 180w, 40" 200w) 500w of bars where running through a 25amp fuse. anyone has lighting experience these numbers might give a clue, with everything lite there was 57,500 Lumens @ 6000 Kelvin.
I spent around 3 months researching and talking to people in the know about LEDs before starting to spend cash. The important stuff to know is simple. Lumens = how bright. Kelvin = colour temperature. 6000-6500 kelvin is the same 'colour' as daylight. If your running 6000K at night, there's less eye strain while driving than you get with 'normal' lights. LEDs draw much less power than tungsten/ halogen/xenon bulbs, they have a much higher light output per watt than 'standard' bulbs, have a 3-5 years CONTINUOUS use lifespan, and are unaffected by vibration. LED headlight units are available in all the usual 'H' fitment, and anything up to a 7" bar could be fitted neatly on most bikes. There's 3 main types of chip, SMD, Epistar & Cree. SMDs are OK for tail lights, Epistar are ok, but if your buying LEDs, buy Cree ! Cree are the world market leaders in LED lighting, with the most efficient chips available. If you want to go LED headlights, (you should) you'll need 2-2.5" space behind your stock bulbs to allow for the LED heatsink or cooling fan, and as long as the headlight alignment is good, they'll sail through MOT. The chip layout in headlights is crucial, get it wrong, and they're pretty much useless ! I'll put links up if anyone's interested.
What do all the numbers & words mean in the real world ? I will say, the images DON'T do them justice, but they'll give you a fair idea.

Apart from the bars (and other mods) it all looks pretty stock.

This is the before/after. The halogen is a 45/55w, the Cree unit is 12.5/30w @ 2000 Lumens on hi beam.

https://youtu.be/F74o13KFI3g
Old 29-05-2016, 01:07 PM
Chat Virgin

Even in bright sunlight

I had enough light to scare daylight into hiding.

This is what happens at night. There was only 60" of bars in this vid, I added another 30" after this !
Windscreen was filthy, and I could have done with new reflectors in the headlights. The bars have a 1km throw.

https://youtu.be/mDiu7JBKqvw

Last edited by Philxs11; 29-05-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 30-05-2016, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Still had difficulty in parking?
Old 30-05-2016, 09:11 AM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Still had difficulty in parking?
It's not stuck, it's just parked in an inconvenient spot !
Old 31-05-2016, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

I know the tree jumped out in front by mistake!