100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-03-2016, 11:56 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default Matlock Bath protest

At Matlock Bath protest with my dog Charlie.
Old 13-03-2016, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

There's an awful lot of spit and polish there Glyn! Love Charlie's goggles!
Old 27-03-2016, 01:18 PM

Hi mate, it's pretty easy to clean, very few nooks and crannies, Charlie's goggles are actually called "DOGGLES"
Old 28-03-2016, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Would never be able to get my Wanda to wear them!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Chat Virgin

With the news Derbyshire County Council voted in the parking charges that the protest was against:

RIP Matlock Bath
Old 05-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Need to Get out More!

Local government will do anything for revenue, they dont give a s#$t about anything else.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 PM

Local businesses will really suffer.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Local government will do anything for revenue, they dont give a s#$t about anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyn aka Kingo View Post
Local businesses will really suffer.
Yeah - there won't be any revenue cos the bikers will go elsewhere!
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

50p per hour, max of 2 hours.

When it as free it was a max of 2 hours, so people either moved the bike to another parking spot or went out for a ...... wait for it, a RIDE

People will still go and they will pay the money and if they dont, cars will as they will be able to get parked more easily and the council will make money on the the car fee which is much more and make up for any lost bike parking
Old 15-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
50p per hour, max of 2 hours.

When it as free it was a max of 2 hours, so people either moved the bike to another parking spot or went out for a ...... wait for it, a RIDE

People will still go and they will pay the money and if they dont, cars will as they will be able to get parked more easily and the council will make money on the the car fee which is much more and make up for any lost bike parking
There will be no means of attaching parking tickets to your bike, so tickets will get blown away or stolen which means bikers will get parking tickets. Word will spread.

Cars and bikes don't mix in on street parking. Useless drivers will knock bikes over and bikes will fill inbetween parked cars causing arguments. Word will spread.

I wouldn't park my bikes where some retard will have a chance of backing into it and any adults or kiddies getting out of the car will try and squeeze through between the car and red hot bike exhausts.

One decent sized family car or huge SUV takes up the space of 5 or more bikes = less revenue not more.

If you wanna stay longer than 2 hours you'll have to move your bike from the street, ie a long walk away and your bike will be out of your sight. Same problems of tickets being nicked. Word will spread.

There are other likely problems that will mean bikes will stay away especially once word gets out about the inevitable problems.
Old 15-05-2016, 06:22 PM

We'll see ............

Hope I'm wrong and you are right but .........
Old 15-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
We'll see ............

Hope I'm wrong and you are right but .........

Time will tell eh?
Hopefully Matlock will stay a successful biker place.
Old 15-05-2016, 08:10 PM

Poole Quay (Dorset) is still a huge bike meet since the council took it over and started charging, but it's not the same as it was and a lot of us that used to go don't bother any more as it's nearly all sports bikes now, where it used to be really interesting to see all the different sorts of bikes. Have to say though, that's typical of the biking world in general now, lots of riders who don't know and don't care about getting along with other bikers they just want to pose with their (mostly) sports bikes.

In fact there's another bike meet started not far away, on the same night, called 'Not Poole Quay' - it's very popular!

PS I'm not saying that everyone with a sports bike is like that!
Old 15-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGran View Post
Poole Quay (Dorset) is still a huge bike meet since the council took it over and started charging, but it's not the same as it was and a lot of us that used to go don't bother any more as it's nearly all sports bikes now, where it used to be really interesting to see all the different sorts of bikes. Have to say though, that's typical of the biking world in general now, lots of riders who don't know and don't care about getting along with other bikers they just want to pose with their (mostly) sports bikes.

In fact there's another bike meet started not far away, on the same night, called 'Not Poole Quay' - it's very popular!

PS I'm not saying that everyone with a sports bike is like that!
I don't get this anti between different bikes. Even bmw riders have their own clique and tbh it's all bollox.
I talk to HD riders, scooter riders, Streetfighters or moped riders. But that's a whole other can o worms.

Over at the seaside resort of Hunstanton they have weekend marshalled bike parking along the seafront pavement. You pay the man 30p or summat and get a ticket but you don't have to display it.
The bikes are all styles and all welcome as it should be.
I'll have a laugh and take the piss with anyone I don't give a $#1t what they ride.

We went over to Hunstanton one summer weekend in 2014 to find there was a mods and rockers do. It was great ! No anti and respect all round. We had a picnic and loads of people chatted with us. Very chilled out it was. Bands and DJ's on the bandstand playing Rock and ska and the who and plenty of dancin and happy people.
What it's all about
Old 16-05-2016, 10:38 AM

I did say that I wasn't tarring all sports riders with the same brush! It's just that there are a lot who DON'T get the thing of chatting to everyone whatever they ride or whoever they are.
Old 16-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Chat Virgin

Well put HOS, that's how Matlock Bath used to be.

Been going there for years on various bikes and even a scooter. One minute you could be talking to a group of chop riders the next sports riders then someone else and it didn't matter what you rode.

I remember pulling in at the age of 16 on my Suzi AP50, my mate on a Honda SS50 and having the piss taken from the then Mansfield Hells Angels but we soon got talking bikes and all was well with the world. We even tried racing them back to Mansfield.
Old 16-05-2016, 10:08 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniondave View Post
Well put HOS, that's how Matlock Bath used to be.

Been going there for years on various bikes and even a scooter. One minute you could be talking to a group of chop riders the next sports riders then someone else and it didn't matter what you rode.

I remember pulling in at the age of 16 on my Suzi AP50, my mate on a Honda SS50 and having the piss taken from the then Mansfield Hells Angels but we soon got talking bikes and all was well with the world. We even tried racing them back to Mansfield.
Hi miniondave, I'm a big enough and ugly enough POS that most people avoid me on sight which has its blessings. But don't people always judge you without knowing you? I can remember racing an electric milk float on me FS1E but that's all I remember. How we lived for the day of getting a bike and taking the bike test ?

I get on more so nowadays with with the older patch bikers than the newbs although I'm not a Harley or chop rider. Well I had a 1200 Buell for a while and became a Buelligan! ! A real no brainer of a bike. A blast to ride.

I think most of us know we need to pull together and stop the snobbery and segregation of biker types. We all ride bikes end of. Just get on.
Old 17-05-2016, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post

I think most of us know we need to pull together and stop the snobbery and segregation of biker types. We all ride bikes end of. Just get on.
Well said that man!
Old 17-05-2016, 07:27 AM

Dont think this thread was anything to do with types of riders. Matlock isnt as good as it used to be, many more sports bikes riders than there used to be, I like to see all sorts and while cruisers aren't my thing, they are for some and most on here.

I prefer Rivi barn to see a great selection of bikes, old British stuff and I mean old as in pre war stuff on occasion, sports bikes, scooters, 125's and smaller, classic jap bikes, the whole gambut of bikes and it tends to be easier to start chatting to folk as its not everyone in a line in the street.

You can sit and see bikes coming in and out all the time which you cant really at Matlock. BTW I used to live 12 miles from Matlock and for me it was a not a place to sit for 3-4 hours or longer as some did. I could spend more time at Rivi doing that because of the ins and outs