100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Showroom

Notices

Old 28-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Chat Virgin

Default A potted history.

I've held a full bike liI've held a full bike license for 35 years, (34 for cars) January 2015 I made the decision nobody wants to make.
I won't lie, it was a hard decision to make, and it damned near broke me. But, it was MY call, I had control. My license was due for renewal Nov 2015, and for 6 years I'd been on a 'medically restricted' 3 year license due to disability (MS). Around mid - the tag end of 2014 the MS found a couple of extra gears, and done a bit of a job in me. I was pretty sure Id be hit for a driving assessment, I wasn't about to let somebody tell me I couldn't drive, so I made the decision not to renew my license.
The list after 35 years.
16 cars.
23 bikes
2 trikes
7 blown engines
Here's a small selection of the bikes.

My first bike, an ss50 5speed Honda, and a very fresh faced 17yro me waay back in 1980.
Mate was on a 'just hit the market' CB50. The first of the restricted 50s.

A year, and 4 bikes can change you quite a bit. RD250

DT175 it was a farm bike that lay untouch in a barn for a couple of years. bought for 40, spent 50 to put it back in the road. Used it for 6 months and sold it for 160.

K1 1000 wing. Micron hi rise bars & marshal 4-2 exhaust

DR750 getting a plug change, and a dead 305 kwak. The 305 was 2 of the blown engines, the 2nd time was terminal, but what else can you expect from a 2 cylinder 4 stroke with a 14,000 red line ! lol

Old 28-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Chat Virgin

A closer look at the tweeked Simpson Star Wars. (Pre Bandit)

600f (mate hangin off it)

750F

Old 28-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Chat Virgin

GS1000s trike. The bike had been raced and had a skimmed & gasflowed head.
S&B hi flow filters, jets & air correcters fitted to suit with a Harris 4-1 exhaust with race baffle. This thing spat blue flames out on overrun.

11.5 x 15 BF Goodridge rubber. Personally, I'd avoid BF rubber, WAY too hard compound.

XS11 trike. My last fling before the MS started fckin me up properly. Disabled registered & tweeked to take the wheelchair.

Custom hybrid Motad/Ripspeed stainless/carbon fibre 4-2-4 exhaust. 10.5x15" GT radials. MUCH better compound rubber.

Old 28-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Chat Virgin

Somewhere in the middle, was the X380 b*stard. And it just was !

For those not old enough to remember, the Suzuki GT250 X7 was the RD250 slayer, lighter and faster than the RDs. They where, but they also had skittish steering and kicked and bucked on anything other than race track smooth roads.
I'd picked an X7 up cheap, way after their time had passed as a stop gap hack. As they did, it locked the left hand pot. In what was clearly a momentary laps of reason, I picked up a 'replacement' motor. Another ex race motor & exhausts. (there where a LOT about in NI in the 90s)
A GT380 ! The lower frame rails where junked, and new ones bent round the motor (it WASN'T coming out again) and the wiring graphed together, and it fired up. It sounded 'hollow' at low revs, but the was an ominous sharp crackle around mid revs. I took it out.
It was totally gutless at low revs, and sounded even more 'hollow' under load. I heard the exhausts starting to sharpen and the revs started climbing. (It was a worring noise) Then it hit the power band. OH. DEAR. GOD.
It felt like all the evil from hell itself was underneath me ! I could feel the whole frame twisting & flexing, the tyres where barely staying in contact with the uneven country road, and I was moving WAY to fast for the single disc & rear hub brakes could slow down, never mind stop. I'll SWEAR I could feel the venomous hatred coming out of the 'thing' below me, and it wanted to KILL ME !
I kept it for a week, and rode it twice after that first outting, I wasn't a fan of a 'bike' you had to fight with just to keep your life when you took it out.

Just because you can, DOSEN'T mean you should !
Old 28-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Need to Get out More!

Hi Philxs11,

A very nice range of bikes you've had.
I've just been looking at a few XS11s in the cafe style then I saw your XS11 trike.
Old 29-05-2016, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Phil,

Join NABD, Ok you decided to loose your licence, but I'm sure that there are people out there that can and will help you go on runs, rallies, etc.

Try them?
Old 29-05-2016, 10:39 AM
Chat Virgin

Cheers HOS it was a bit of a lump, but it had the older jap 4 grunt. It was hard work to ride fast on back roads, but the effort was well worth it.
Friar, I was a member of NABD when I had the trike. Trikes where a bit thin on the ground in NI at the time, and they where a massive help getting it registered and insured. Oddly, if dvlc wanted a driving assessment on the trike, they'd have had to pay the NABD chairman to go to NI (inc accommodation) as he was the only one in the uk at the time who could do the assessment on tikes !
Due to the 'unique' way MS works, it's sorta game over for me on the rally front. Waist down dosen't work, top half still works to a point. The main problem with MS is the fatigue, it's got me to the point where I haven't been out of the house in over a year now. It's a bit sh*t, but I REALLY can't complain, I'm not in any pain, and there's many folk have to deal with worse every day than I do, and if I'm honest, with some of the stuff over the years, I'm lucky I'm still breathing !
Old 30-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Super Moderator

Sent you a pm, mate.
Old 16-06-2016, 02:03 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I had a canary yellow X5 200, I only owned it about a month as it scared the shit out of me with it's scary steering (or lack of) got it from an uncle on a drink drive ban and sold it someone who was going to put a sidewinder on it and run it on a L plate - never saw it or him again
Old 17-06-2016, 04:21 PM
Need to Get out More!

If I was going for a trike it would have to be a bike trike.
I had a go on a superb Busa trike without wearing a lid. Felt quite strange tbh.
I had no sensation of the axle behind me in a straight line. I would have to really think otherwise I would probably try and filter between traffic
Old 17-06-2016, 04:24 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
I had a canary yellow X5 200, I only owned it about a month as it scared the shit out of me with it's scary steering (or lack of) got it from an uncle on a drink drive ban and sold it someone who was going to put a sidewinder on it and run it on a L plate - never saw it or him again
I remember the sidewinder. My mates tried to persuade me to get a 650cc + British bike with a sidewinder to learn on and take my test. But I bought a Honda 250 Wetdream instead. That was just before they changed the law to 125cc for learners.
Old 18-06-2016, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

I had a mate who had a Superdrooperdream and a sidewinder!