100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Showroom

Notices

Old 28-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Chat Virgin

Default My modded "cabbage" !

So while I normally ride chops and lowriders, I'd always fancied a trip back to my yoof when A10's and T120's were the order of the day and all 17 year olds lusted after Goldstars (while only affording a paltry C15) still I did make it to the A10, obligatory 5 gallon fibreglass tank, clip ons on the bottom yoke etc.
So I decided to build a 60's style cafe racer using a big single and utilising bits I had kicking about. Now lots done with SR500's but I always reckoned a Suzuki Cabbage would look okay and was certain it would perform okay as well.
So couple of years ago I bought a slightly modded Savage and set about sorting into something resembling a BITSA racer - Basically it's a Savage engine, heavily modded Savage frame, bonneville front end, norton tank and bantam seat. Sits a little taller than I anticipated, but then it was all done piecemeal, no plan, it grew organically as they say the riding position is good once your on.
Handles ok and with chain and sprocket conversion and fiddling with the ratio's we've ended up with a top end around the ton and yet it's still good on the fuel
So here we have the before and after shots

There is a full build description on our website and I can stick it on here if anyone is interested!

What ya reckon?
Attached Images

Old 28-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Need to Get out More!

That's an amazing transformation from the Savage.
Looks very much in the cafe racer style.
How long did it take?
Old 28-02-2016, 07:29 PM
Chat Virgin

Yep it's certainly that. All the frame work which was basically a new top tube, centre post and rear sub frame took about a fortnight off and on - I had to wait about a bit while rear wheel was rebuilt an things like side panels and a few spacers were cut up and purchased. I had most of the bits I needed and the frame sorted within a month but that was at the end of the year and it was built outside (albeit under a covered arch) so it was left over the winter months and then put together once I could spend more than 15 minutes outside without losing all the feeling in my feet and fingers! But once I started I guess another month so actual build time in all was probably 8 weeks but it was spread over about 6 months.
Electrics were rewired as Billy Bodger had been working on them and while I was at it I removed the decompressor mechanism and it now sports a very simple manual lever, (fond memories of the old days!)
Sorting mixture wasn't too bad as the savage forum has a load of info as well as sprocket ratios - looks so much better with chain and sprockets rather than belt
Old 28-02-2016, 07:43 PM
Need to Get out More!

I love anything modified!
I live 40 minutes from Santa Pod and love the classic US car scene.
Same here I've got a project to finish but my body doesn't work in the cold. Having a heater in the garage just causes massive condensation.
Do you take your rod down the strip?
One of my best mates had a v8 rod as his wedding car last year.
Very cool.
Old 28-02-2016, 09:11 PM
Chat Virgin

Yep age and cold don't go together well, and with four bikes in the garage as well as the tools and bench it's a drag geting all out to work on a bike so it's easier to work outside. As for the rod, we haven't taken it down the strip, it's actually our daily driver covering between 10 and 15k a year - run it for 5 years now, got an 1800 Zetec engine running on GSXR bike carbs, so it's no slouch- certainly surprised a few off of the lights if I read em right!
Bodywork is basically Morris with heavily modded rear end
Attached Images

Old 29-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Some peeps are so damn clever it makes you green!

I wish I was as good!
Old 29-02-2016, 07:54 AM
Chat Virgin

Yep -they certainly can be - I lay claim to the cafe racer build - but the truck was someone else's skill - I've just made it more driveable over the years!
I'll try and get my other ride up here over the next couple of days.
Guess I'm lucky as the other half also lives on petrol fumes so spending dosh on these things comes in front of decorating and holidays!!
Old 29-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Some peeps are so damn clever it makes you green!

I wish I was as good!

+1

Lucky bugger wish i could get Ann to listen that things like decorating don't matter and that a new inverter welder is far more inportant

Welcome to the forum
Old 29-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Chat Virgin

Ah - sounds like you need the negotiations skill course - trading off the initial purchase of that welder against the decorating "sometime in the future" !
Old 29-02-2016, 11:51 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabillyboy View Post
Ah - sounds like you need the negotiations skill course - trading off the initial purchase of that welder against the decorating "sometime in the future" !
You must have read enough of my posts to realise i'm not good at negotiating i tend to be a bit blunt and end up upsetting people, and the last person i want to upset is my lovely Ann

Did i say i do like the savage and the truck

Hell i'm being good lately Dai
Old 01-03-2016, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

I am still stalling the ripping up of the floor boards for woodworm treatment! as the bike and ride on mower need attention! Well that's my excuse!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:35 PM
Chat Virgin

That sounds like a damn fine excuse to me!
Course you could always think a load shared is a load halved an get someone else to do the floorboards while you do the far more important jobs!

On another note bike number 2 in our shed is the wifes Bandit chop sadly up for sale cos she prefers her other wee beastie an just doesn't get to use this one enough to make it worth keeping. It's on the For sales on this very site
Old 02-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trouble is getting other peeps to do it costs money which I haven't got unfortunately!