100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > New Member Introductions

Notices

Old 12-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Uh oh another newbie

Hi all, Neil from Leicester.
I ride a triumph sprint at the moment but looking to get onto something a bit more classic, in keeping with my 1972 landrover. Can't be doing with all them there electrics
Old 12-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Neil..

John.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Welcome HD Neil!

Of course the old, oops sorry classic, bikes had electrics too, but they were Lucas electrics, and I can help with those as someone sent me some very useful info which I shall share........

Quote:
Motorcycle electrics

Electricity isn't caused by cold fusion, thatís rubbish, and forget all that nonsense about magnetic fields and the flow of electrons along a conductor, thatís a myth put about by bike electricians to support their lavish lifestyle at your expense. The reality is ... smoke! When you think about it, it all becomes startlingly obvious Ė smoke makes all electrical things function, if smoke escapes, the component stops working. For example, the last time you had to grovel under the car to replace the starter motor, didnít it start smoking before it ceased working? - of course!

The wiring loom on your vehicle carries smoke from one device to another, pumped around the system by the alternator, and when a wire springs a leak it lets all the smoke out and everything stops. Starter motors require lots of smoke to work properly, so they have very thick wires going to them. The battery stores up lots of smoke dissolved in battery acid, which is why they were once called accumulators, until it became apparent that we unwashed home mechanics would twig to the secret. Naturally, if you try to dissolve too much smoke in your battery it will escape through those little holes in the top, which is why those batteries with sealed tops explode when they get too much smoke in them.

With regard to Joseph Lucas and his wrongfully sullied reputation, why is he so maligned? Why are Lucas components more likely to leak smoke than, say, Bosch? Because Lucas is British, and all British made things leak. British motorcycles leak oil, British sports cars leak rain, British brakes leak fluid, and British governments leak military secrets. So naturally, British electrical components leak smoke!
Old 13-07-2014, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Greetins Frum naarfuck!
Old 13-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Chat Virgin

Thanks Gran, this explains alot, I always thought the fact the my old LC used to smoke and needed re-charging every journey to and from work was unrelated. Turns out that pesky electricity was escaping through the exhaust all along, I bow down to your wisdom (insert bowing smily here 'cos I can't find one)...
Old 13-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Always happy to help!

Oh and btw...........
Attached Images

Last edited by BikerGran; 13-07-2014 at 09:58 AM.