100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 22-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Chat Virgin

Default 125cc Cruiser advice please help

hi, i am Brian, i am soon turning 17 i have reserve 2000 to 3000 for a Cruiser do you guy have any good suggestion for me. Also can anybody tell me what bike it is. thank you very much
Attached Images

Old 22-06-2014, 10:10 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I ride a honda 125 rebel, bought as a rough but running bike it has survived 5 years use and abuse on virtually no maintenence and yet is is still reliable though showing its age a bit. With the ammount you have to spend you should be able to afford a really nice example, don't forget to get insurance in your costings, a older rebel 125 like mine is eligable for classic cover which is cheaper, preformance wise a decent rebel 125cc twin should pull 70mph, mine is worn out and only pulls 65 mph and less up hills. Suzukis Gs, Gn 125 bikes are pretty tough and decent too provided you keep checking the oil. Avoid the newer inport bikes in my oppinion, I had my hands on a cm250 clone called a 'hong dou' the quality was very poor though that was quite a few years ago and the engine was good so there might be enough inprovement by now. For my money the best bet would be an old Honda as they are quality bikes, just buy a looked after one.
Old 22-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Just stay away from Chinese bikes - they're incredibly difficult to get parts for and many bikeshops won't work on them for that reason.

Stick to the Japs and you'll be ok. If you hadn't said cruiser I'd have said go for a Honda CG125 - in fact I'll still say it!
Old 23-06-2014, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

my advice.. you are going to get fed up with a 125 before you know it and if you spend 2 or 3 thousand on a bike now it will take a long time for you to save that up again..so don't..

Look for an old running bike with an MOT on it for a few hundred quid that you can ride, then buy a service manual for it, Haynes is a good learner..

Then do your own servicing, learn to remove the wheels, learn the simple things like the charging circuit, learn about suck, squeeze, bang, puff..and by the time you are old enough to buy a full sized bike you will have enough money saved up and the mechanical knowledge to tell a good one from a heap..

John.
Old 23-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
learn about suck, squeeze, bang, puff..
John.
Been tellin the missus that fer feckin years ........

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 23-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Chat Virgin

Cheers lads, so if you guys don't recommend me to spend too much now do you think i should buy a second hand bike for now then wait till i am 21, if i actually get a second hand bike, what do i have to make sure i do before i buy it cheers

Last edited by Brian_Chow; 23-06-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 23-06-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
my advice.. you are going to get fed up with a 125 before you know it and if you spend 2 or 3 thousand on a bike now it will take a long time for you to save that up again..so don't..

Look for an old running bike with an MOT on it for a few hundred quid that you can ride, then buy a service manual for it, Haynes is a good learner..

Then do your own servicing, learn to remove the wheels, learn the simple things like the charging circuit, learn about suck, squeeze, bang, puff..and by the time you are old enough to buy a full sized bike you will have enough money saved up and the mechanical knowledge to tell a good one from a heap..

John.
Brian, exactly as above.

Besides the used 125 should be very vibrant as folk don't hang on to them for very long. And as the others say, avoid the chinese 125's although the newer ones are better and lighter, they still assembled with dissolving bolts.

Oh and I think the bike you pictured is a H-D Sportster, but there are far better qualified folk on here to put you straight.
Old 23-06-2014, 11:04 AM

I reacon a really quite reasonable ca125 (honda rebel) should be attainable at 500 to 750 and they hold their value, cosmetically trashed ones like mne are cheaper but probably less looked after and really about 35000 miles they get a bit worn so if it doesn't get to 70 in half a mile or less on the flat, budgett for a new camchain and top end overhaul - probably a few hundred. I'm not sure of if anyone makes cruiser 125's with center stands but it's the one thing I don't like with the rebel is no center stand as it makes changing wheels a bit of a pain unless I hang it off a crane or chain hoist which only really works if you have one, a 12 trolley jack from Lidl works for this but can be unstable if you need to hammer something. Like I say, rebel 125 has both the cruiser look and some half decent power and reliability - not to mention the fact they've been around since the days of Noahs arc in various forms so spares are cheap, though things did change over the years. I've owned both the Suzuki gn (same motor in gn and gz) and rebel 125 so I'll confine comments to these bikes) The Suzuki are lighter and get better mpg but the electrics and engine are not as robust, though they are still very good rather than fragile, just that the Honda has the edge over the Suzuki in these areas in my expirience. I've actually had my full licence for years but been trashing 125's around simply because I bought the cheapest bike I could to tide me over and as it failed to die, it's the one I keep using.
Old 23-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

One last bit of buying advice when buying any used vehicle is this..

Look at the MOT and pay attention to the bit marked advisories if there are no advisories marked then you have a good chance of it passing the next MOT but if it has advisories marked and the MOT is not very long, either knock a few hundred off the asking price to get them fixed, or if you like the bike ask them to get a new MOT with no advisories or walk away..

The main thing about buying a first bike that is fairly small and cheap is that you will get almost as much satisfaction out of learning how it works as you will out of riding it, so get your hands dirty, and if you have problems doing the repairs, ask on here, between all the members of this forum, there are not too many problems we can't advise you on.

If you weigh 16 stone don't expect high speeds out of your little 125cc bike and avoid steep hills..

And don't buy a scooter with lots of panels to remove before you can do a quick roadside repair..

John.
Old 23-06-2014, 08:41 PM
Chat Virgin

cheers lads you guys are very nice to talk to just another question where is JINLUN from ? sorry if you find this question stupid but i saw a secondhand bike and it look very attractive to me thank you
Old 23-06-2014, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Crappy Chinese bike..Run it about 5 miles a day on the flat at 30 mph and the exhaust will rot, the electrics will burn up and any plastics will crack.

John.
Old 23-06-2014, 09:43 PM
Chat Virgin

alright cheers buddy so i can leave that bike alone you think i should stick with the Honda CA125 then
Old 23-06-2014, 09:48 PM
Chat Virgin

alright cheers buddy so i can leave that bike alone you think i should stick with the Honda CA125 then and is it thi. one cheers buddy
Attached Images

Old 23-06-2014, 10:04 PM

Mate had a Jinlun 125, I'd say the thigs are not the worst inport bike from China, but still most of Johns comments are pretty true and I suspect the electrics will be what really kills em, was with the hong dou I was given, though the frame was so badly put together it would never have got an mot. I think a rebel will outlast it by a fair margin, though they are worth having for bits to keep a rebel going as they share a few parts if cheap enough - like free Depends, if you do your own mechanicing then they could be made to get you around and be ok if cheap enough to start with but start paying a garage and it will quickly cost more than just buying the Honda. Forgot to say, I think he bought his new and had speedo drive gearbox and a few other bits fail within 500 mile, had a job getting the bits off the dealer to fix, lost touch with the guy but not a promising start.

Last edited by matthewmosse; 23-06-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 23-06-2014, 10:11 PM

My lad had a Hyosung 125 super moto, went really well for 3 years, college all week in some really crap weather, the finish was no worse than any Jap bike.

4 valve head, could do 75mph (on the clock) on the flat, they arent all bad

You can get a Hyosung cruiser as well if that the style you are looking for ...... btw why are you waiting until you are 21? You have to be 24 to do direct access now if that was what you were thinking
Old 23-06-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGran View Post
Just stay away from Chinese bikes - they're incredibly difficult to get parts for and many bikeshops won't work on them for that reason.

Stick to the Japs and you'll be ok. If you hadn't said cruiser I'd have said go for a Honda CG125 - in fact I'll still say it!
Depends what manufacturer, they aren't difficult to get for all Chinese bikes, in fact for some parts its easier than Jap ones
Old 24-06-2014, 04:20 PM
Chat Virgin

Honda rebel
Honda Shaddow (love the look of this one)
Suzuki Marauder GZ125 (i own this)
Suzuki Intruder (Slightly bigger than the Marauder)

Like you, I was looking for a Cruiser 125 as a first bike, the above 4 are, in my opinion, the best on the market. I wanted a Shaddow, but couldn't find one in good condition for the right price.

You can get a brand new Chinese cruiser for about 1,200... but you'll never see one that's got an MOT, as they don't last the 3 years to need one!! - That's not a joke, they are pieces of shit.

I get a max of 65mph at about 13 stone, so don't expect to be setting any land speed records and I certainly will never take it onto the motorway
Old 24-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsey View Post
Honda rebel
Honda Shaddow (love the look of this one)
Suzuki Marauder GZ125 (i own this)
Suzuki Intruder (Slightly bigger than the Marauder)

Like you, I was looking for a Cruiser 125 as a first bike, the above 4 are, in my opinion, the best on the market. I wanted a Shaddow, but couldn't find one in good condition for the right price.

You can get a brand new Chinese cruiser for about 1,200... but you'll never see one that's got an MOT, as they don't last the 3 years to need one!! - That's not a joke, they are pieces of shit.

I get a max of 65mph at about 13 stone, so don't expect to be setting any land speed records and I certainly will never take it onto the motorway
cheers mate, i am loving the Honda Shadow and your answer, it is looking great do anyone know how much would it be if i wanted a new one?
Old 25-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Chat Virgin

they don't make a 125 shadow anymore mate (not for a quite a few years I think), you're looking at about 2k for a good one: autotrader here

Because they're not being made anymore, the ones in good condition are still pretty expensive... which is why I didn't get one.

Really, you SHOULD get a cheap 125 (300-500), have some lessons and test (500), then spend the remaining 1k-1.5k on a 'propper' 600cc+ crusier. As a learner you'll probably drop it on a roundabout/corner and it'll be a damn expensive mistake.

Of course, you SHOULD do that, it's what I was told, and I believe it to be true... but I still got a 2k bike, and it's still worth it now... until I drop it

edit: they also turn into lovely bobbers/chops/whatever:

Old 25-06-2014, 08:18 PM

Buy a 300 rebel like I did, still worth 300 after I threw it up the road on ice, but did need to spend 15 on a replacement set of bars and weld the frame where it had rotted through - which reminds me, if looking at bikes with a frame downtube in front of the engine that is left open to road dirt then look for rust having eaten too much of the metal, this will be down to use and maintenence rather than age. Most would call it a write off or replace the frame, I've qualified as a welder and done work with pro custom builders in the past so considered it inconvienient but would still hesitate to sell the repaired bike. try to find someone who's familiar with bikes to look over / test ride the machine, bent frames feel a bit 'odd' ride a few and you'll know that feel.
Old 25-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Chat Virgin

cheers lads i think i am pretty clear what do i want now is either a Suzuki Marauder GZ125, or a Honda CA 125, as you guys have way more experience than me which one you think will be the best ?? cheers
Old 25-06-2014, 09:23 PM

better economy off the gz I wuld think as the engine s same / very similar to gs125, the rebel is harder to kill, I could wring 70 out of either but it's easyer to get the rebel there (I'm only 10 stone though so not everyone will get that speed) I'd think it's more a case of which comes up first / cheapest / best order. I've put a lot of miles on both variants, still have piles of bits for both though the gs parts now are earmarked for a dr125 (trailbike again on same engine)
Old 25-06-2014, 10:02 PM
Chat Virgin

i weight about 11 stone and i think from what you say the honda sound slightly better (so that's 1:0 to honda )and after lots of research i am still not sure how they both look like (because in google image they all look slightly different) so here is another question which one do you guys. think have the best look, so that i can rock the Tom cruise top gun impression ha ha and i am really appreciating for all you guys who is helping me right now thank you

Last edited by Brian_Chow; 25-06-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 25-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Doesn't seem to be much between them in looks - personally I'd go for the Honda just because it's a Honda, they tend to hold their resale value and by the time you've passed your full test, if you've looked after it you should be able to get back as much or nearly as much as you paid for it - that's the beauty of a good older bike, they reach a certain level and stay there.
Old 25-06-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsey View Post
they don't make a 125 shadow anymore mate (not for a quite a few years I think), you're looking at about 2k for a good one: autotrader here

Because they're not being made anymore, the ones in good condition are still pretty expensive... which is why I didn't get one.

Really, you SHOULD get a cheap 125 (300-500), have some lessons and test (500), then spend the remaining 1k-1.5k on a 'propper' 600cc+ crusier. As a learner you'll probably drop it on a roundabout/corner and it'll be a damn expensive mistake.

Of course, you SHOULD do that, it's what I was told, and I believe it to be true... but I still got a 2k bike, and it's still worth it now... until I drop it

edit: they also turn into lovely bobbers/chops/whatever:
He is only just about to turn 17, so he has at least 4 years before he can even do a restricted test, might as well buy something that will last
Old 25-06-2014, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

You've got it down to two bikes, that should be good enough to allow you to haggle..now it's time to do your CBT and go out and test ride a few..

With a name like Chow maybe we shouldn't be running down the Chinese bikes to you..

John.
Old 25-06-2014, 11:20 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
You've got it down to two bikes, that should be good enough to allow you to haggle..now it's time to do your CBT and go out and test ride a few..

With a name like Chow maybe we shouldn't be running down the Chinese bikes to you..

John.
ha ha loving what you said, and i have to admit that China doesn't produce great stuff anyway.

Last edited by Brian_Chow; 25-06-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 26-06-2014, 08:42 AM

I had a cg125 and so did my brother and my wife has a GS125 which we have used a spare bike since she passed her test in 94 so my opinion would be.

CG will last for ever but slightly slower and more "wallowy"- ( believe the 125 twins are a bit faster better handling), Suzuki has been mechanically sound over all those years (low mileage though has only just hit 22k) all we have done is change oil check every couple of years check tappits twice ever and replace a centre stand that rotted through - still even on original brake pads. However have had a few electrical issues and it is forever blowing sidelight bulbs. Good for about 65 on the flat and i am wrong side of 15 stone. GN/DR/GS125 all the same motor and is actually also copied in i think the JinLan (look for rocker covers being just 2 large bolts rather than a single cover)

I know that old old cg's (6 volt) and newer cg's (12v electric start) are good but there was a patch in the middle that were made in Brazil and don't have the same build quality (can be identified by square tank and only being 10.5hp and having some silly moniker on the side of the carb to do with economy).

Also a lot depends on your build - I am 6'2'' and about 20 years ago sat on a brand new honda rebel in a shop and found i couldn't get full lock for the bars hitting my knees.

If I was you though I would decide what money you can afford, find a mate/relative who knows mechanics and be prepared to go kick the tyres of all the old 125's for sale around your area until 1 shouts out to be bought. Yam SR125 is another one to consider

Oh and if you are offered an Old old CB125T in good condition jump at it they are wickedly fast and bulletproof but also rare as rocking horse poo -easy to spot as twin with comstar wheels
Old 26-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Rebel handlebars do hit your knees on full lock - if they are set up wrong, 5 minute job to raise them - just slack off some bolts twist them upwards and re tighten, same story with the brake master cylinder etc. cb12t - think it's same engine as rebel. also consider the cm 125 (early variant of the ca just not as custom styled) just widens the seach parameters.
Old 26-06-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
Rebel handlebars do hit your knees on full lock - if they are set up wrong, 5 minute job to raise them - just slack off some bolts twist them upwards and re tighten, same story with the brake master cylinder etc. cb12t - think it's same engine as rebel. also consider the cm 125 (early variant of the ca just not as custom styled) just widens the seach parameters.
I am meaning this cb125t the 16.5hp one think the engines are externally the same as CM125 but cams etc different

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...b125t%2081.htm