100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 10-06-2014, 12:48 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Mileage

What is everyone's thoughts about mileage on bikes... i've been told in the past that a bike with 30,000+ miles on the clock is nearing the end of its life, but then i've seen bikes for sale with 60k on them.

What's everyones take?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:50 PM
Jedi Chat Master

120 miles per week for 5 years. I'll take your worn out bikes off you.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I had a 125 twist and go that I put 40k on, a CB750 that I put 85k on a CX500 with over 90k on Wings with well over 100k....

Just gotta service em and they keep going and going.......
Old 10-06-2014, 03:42 PM
Chat Virgin

ah great so the bloke was talking bollocks then... great to know
Old 10-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

50 years ago might have been the case but not now, as said before regular servicing and you'll go forever...
Old 10-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Watch out for the one's advertised as only 28,000 miles on the clock everything original including oil and tyres.

John.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Chatter Box

Default taste

all down to taste i suppose, and loads of money! have had motors with over 60k on them, as said before look after it and keep riding it. as an active member of the xjr o.c we have a ton up club, bikes with over 100.000 miles on them, top class, reminds me of the old cx s as mentioned before.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:57 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

depends on the bike.....

seen commando's utterly fekked within 20,000, two stroke rd250's too
mate did 250,000 on his pan euro and it was still brill...

got a mate whos 200,000 thou into his evo still going strong, only on +40's...

really does depend what it is and whos is it.....
Old 10-06-2014, 09:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Depends whether you are talking to a dealer about what he'll give on part-ex - 12,000 becomes high mileage then!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Chat Virgin

Thanks everyone this thread has been an eye opener 'cause up til now I've avoided bikes over 20,000 miles thinking it wouldn't last me long or sell when the time came.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:07 AM

I have a bike that is over 70 years old, used by the Army for 29 years. God knows what the mileage is as the speedo has probably been round several times......
Old 11-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Jedi Chat Master

A chain and sprocket kit will last 20K these days never mind a bike. Somebody's been yanking yer chain surely
Old 12-06-2014, 01:20 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

I wouldn`t want to take a bike into euro land until its nicely run in at around 10K +, even with around 30k on the clock the sprint is just starting to settle in.
Though I am assured that El mick did complain to Honda about their quality control of their parts, when his pan blew its 1st headlight bulb around the 100k mark
Old 12-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
Though I am assured that El mick did complain to Honda about their quality control of their parts, when his pan blew its 1st headlight bulb around the 100k mark
Don't be taken in by all this rubbish about pan euros being reliable.

I had to clean the contacts in my indicator switch, and it's only done 120 thousand miles.

Bloody disgrace
Old 13-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Depends on size of bike as well - my 250 superdream was thrashed everywhere and the camchain snapped at 28050 miles just when i was thinking i ought to really change it as it sounded like a chainsaw and the UBG listed camchains as lasting 28-35k on them.

My XJR1300 is an early one (2000), was commuted to London by first owner, then sold to a low mileage owner who left it in his shed unused for years due to recovering from a broken neck (it was his aim to ride it again, when he did he flogged) then bought by me 3 years ago with about 27k on it (clocks replaced after fight with a London Bus in it's early days), I have put about 15k on it and other than early issues with things going wrong due to it's layup (oil cooler pipe splitting, cam cover weeping, clutch slave seal x2) and a cracked rear subframe (me shoving a big givi on it and overloading) then if you ignore the cosmetics it is as good as new.

Owners matter as much as type of bike as well - I would rather buy a high mileage bike I knew the owners of (and their mechanical attitude) than a lower mileage bike that may never have had its oil changed and been ragged daily
Old 13-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Chat Slut

My RD250 went up to 96,000 miles (though I did have to rebuild it at 58,000)
Smaller bikes tend to wear out quicker as they're thrashed more, another thing to consider on older bikes are spares, I think the Japs stop producing them 15 years after a model is discontinued.
Old 13-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

All the more reason to get a bike with a long production run....Bandit 12 for example.....
Old 13-06-2014, 04:52 PM
Chat Pimp

my cx has nearly 67k on it and still going strong and well.

fingers crossed I aint just jinxed it.
Old 13-06-2014, 08:29 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Most of it has been said, here are my expiriences, Honda rebel 125, properly abused little workhorse, needed a top end rebuild / engine transplant at 30k - easy job, bunged in a 75 motor off ebay, had a couple of years out of that, probably 5k and it's rattling a bit and intermittently burning oil, a service hasn't fixed it so I might well fork out for a rebuild. Bike cost me 300, has done about 5 years reliable transport, the old engine never actually died, just got slow and underpowered. Similar milages from the other 125cc bikes Ive had and 250cc slightly higher, then work is needed on assorted bits. On the other hand my old Honda 500/4 probably has covered 180 000 miles on its original engine before I pulled it for an overhaul due to jumping out of 1st a bit, other than that the engine was pretty good, despite the oil being treakle thick black sludge when I bought it - so much so that both kick and electric start were hard to operate anf unreliable, an oil change later and keeping the oil changed regular and it easily did the milage, even with a sidecar which previous owner fitted at 30k and is still there. Want to stack the miles on, Honda, 500+cc and do some research, some bikes do better than others. My 500/4 almost never had any electrical issues despite winter use and outdoor storage, my bmw r80/7 and r90/6 bikes have half the milage on the clocks and had plenty of wiring issues, particuarly with switchgear, relays and charging - pretty poor when the Honda had no relays to supposedly make switchgear last longer and proved cabable of double the milage, was a decade older and was the most reliable. As for the previous owner history, probably more inportant than anything, I've had a few 30k Honda 550k3s with everything trashed especially the engines and yet I know with just basic looking after they will chew up 180 000 miles with no issues. A thing I now look for is if the wiring has ever been 'repaired' with those blue plastic pre insulated terminals, for some reason every bike with these on that I have owned has been trouble, electrical and mechanical, same on mates bikes.
Old 15-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Chatter Box

Got 188,000+on my NTV, still running strong 19years on from new, most modern (ish) bikes are built to last now.
Old 15-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

There was a BSA Bantam, 1955 ex GPO at squires cafe the other day..held together with wishes and rust it has done 330000 miles so far.

I think the top speed was 30mph.

John.
Old 16-06-2014, 04:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to Creature

the Original Creature Honda SS90 buried in old house garden at 174000 miles

Honda cb250G5 - sold with 53000 onit

Honda 500/4 sohc (Creature 2) (Stolen) - sold 187000 miles

Honda 750/s sohc - sold 88000 miles

Honda 550/4 sohc (Creature Too_ sold with 380000 miles ( still going down bristol somewere)

follow the service mauals use gen parts (were poss) and dont thrash em then they just keep going

Not had as much luck on modern bikes tho
Old 11-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Chat Pimp

I recently had a 2005, 30,000 mile Triumph Speedmaster up for sale on Evilbay and was told by someone, who wasn't interested in my bike, that a bike with that many miles on wouldn't sell for more than about 2000. I thanked him for his advice and pointed out that 30,000 miles on a bike that I have owned for 9 years (apart from 18 months when it was with someone else) is nothing?! The mileage has been kept down by the fact that it has always been one of two bikes and shared my commuting of 400 miles per week at one time.
The bike sold, outside of Ebay for 2800.
Old 13-08-2014, 09:21 AM

I had a "Re-built" Ironhead Sportster that did 27 miles before spontaneously combusting!

It looked great when I went to look at it and rode it home, all of about 8 miles. It then went downhill........with a good shove. Every time I thought I had cured whatever ailed it something else went wrong. Front brake seized after 2 miles. Clutch cable snapped next day. Spewed oil all over my leg. Exhaust fell off. Last thing was the ignition died on me. Lots of smoke from the "Custom" ignition switch area. I got off the bike just in time to see lots more smoke billowing around the fuel tank.

Stood a little further back and lit a smoke........... watched it burn. Claimed off the insurance, bought the bike back and sold it for spares.

On the other hand I know a guy in Northampton that bought a brand new Iron head and still has it today. Never let him down once and it looks even better than when he first bought it.

I think you have to look at each bike and judge it by its merits. I am a firm believer in regular oil changes with top quality oils. Keeping a bike clean means you have to get close to it and can see when something needs repair or replacement. Nothing wrong with a bike with high mileage as long as it has been looked after properly.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 13-08-2014, 11:36 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Was on a harley forum the other day and there was a few folk reckoning they had 100k on their original belt
Old 14-08-2014, 07:08 PM

after i put nitrous on me evo nearly all the teeth fell of the belt
Old 14-08-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR View Post
I had a "Re-built" Ironhead Sportster that did 27 miles before spontaneously combusting!

It looked great when I went to look at it and rode it home, all of about 8 miles. It then went downhill........with a good shove. Every time I thought I had cured whatever ailed it something else went wrong. Front brake seized after 2 miles. Clutch cable snapped next day. Spewed oil all over my leg. Exhaust fell off. Last thing was the ignition died on me. Lots of smoke from the "Custom" ignition switch area. I got off the bike just in time to see lots more smoke billowing around the fuel tank.

Stood a little further back and lit a smoke........... watched it burn. Claimed off the insurance, bought the bike back and sold it for spares.

On the other hand I know a guy in Northampton that bought a brand new Iron head and still has it today. Never let him down once and it looks even better than when he first bought it.

I think you have to look at each bike and judge it by its merits. I am a firm believer in regular oil changes with top quality oils. Keeping a bike clean means you have to get close to it and can see when something needs repair or replacement. Nothing wrong with a bike with high mileage as long as it has been looked after properly.

Chopper
Fully agree a well looked after high mileage machine is better than a low mileage bike that has been ragged and lacking in maintenance.
Old 15-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Jedi Chat Master

So long as it has been serviced regularly, especially the oil and filter, many modern bikes will top the 100k mark without major issue. Even a lot of older bikes will too, one exception though is the bevel drive 900 Ducatis which seem to have an incredible knack of eating their own cranks at 20k as I discovered to my cost-and what a cost too
Old 20-08-2014, 05:06 PM

30,000 miles the engine has just broken in and running at its sweetest, for jp bikes... Classed as high mileage by insurance companies, but for a bike thats been looked after you'll get many many more miles out of it!
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------