100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 16-03-2014, 06:28 PM
Chat Virgin

Default wearing helmet at garage

Took our Gert for a leisurely blast to ashbourne today. After 5 minutes we have our 1st near death experience with a twat changing lanes whilst going round an island then giving me verbals for being in the lane he wanted to be in... Now this alone is normally enough to induce a psychotic response, however, hes got 2 small kids in the car, ive got the missus on the back and the sun is out, so , i took a deep calming breath and pulled into the garage just up the road from the island (half hoping that mr father of the year is going to follow me in ). As is normally the case, he didnt , so i filled up with fuel ready for our run to sunny ashbourne. Now normally i pull my visor up when paying but i just got one of those shark raw helmets for my birthday (which, my lad takes great pleasure in pointing out, makes me look abit like Darth Vader) and after watching the salesman struggling for 15 minutes trying to attach the goggles and chin guard , i thought " fuck that, i ll just leave them in place" . So when i went to pay for my fuel , i left it on , but not wanting to scare the woman behind the counter, i got the money out and said in a cheery voice " ayup duck pump 3 please" to which she replied "I aint serving you till you pull your visor up and i can see your face"
"it hasnt got a visor . These are goggles and theyre fixed to the helmet" says i. Shes still having none of it "well take it off then !" Now, i have to take shit all week at work , my gaffer telling me what to do and... you know the score. So i ll be fucked if im being told what i MUST do on my day off by some jumped up jobsworth . I replied with monumental self control "Now look , if i was some gupta in a burkha would you ask me to take that off ? would you fuck ! "
" its the law" she says. "Well youve got 2 choices" says i " you can either take this tenner and we both go on our merry ways or you can call 999 and tell them theres a bloke whos trying to pay for his fuel but hes refusing to take his helmet off !"
My question is this. Has anyone on here heard of such a law ?
Old 16-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

It's not a law and she was being a stupid cow..If she didn't want to serve you she should have turned the pump off before you filled up..bit redundant letting you fill up then deciding she will not take your money..There is no way even our stupid government would get away with a racial predudiced law that says you are allowed to cover your face if you wear a burkha and carry a satchel and want to buy a can of petrol but can't ride in on a motorbike wearing safety equipment that you have to wear by law..

John.
Old 16-03-2014, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Serves you right for going into Derbyshire
Old 16-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Chatter Box

And why the fook Ashbourne ??? Boring little shithole !
Old 16-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

How about this one then ......... I always used to go to a petrol station in Sheldon Lock, bike and car. I got out of the car to fill up as usual, put the pump into the filler and nothing happened, garbled voice comes over the tannoy, "please close your car door" ........ being exceptionally dense I though cant be talking to me.

Errrrr she was, I squirted about 3 in pushed the door to, went back to the pump and put another few quid in and the door swung open again, she switched the pumps off.

Stuff this, went in and told her I would never go there again after having used them since I moved over there which was about 4 years and I had certainly filled the car up with the door open many many times "its the rules, its health and safety" ............ bollocks health and safety (and I am a H&S Manager).

Never been back and never will
Old 16-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Chat Pimp

all the filling stations over here have stickers on the pumps and on the doors telling you to remove your helmet, mine's a half egg type so i don't bother but
nobody's ever pushed it
Old 16-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Yup, not law, just company policy at some chains. Pointless getting agro with the staff, they're on camera so they've kind of got to be seen to do it, in case someone does rob them, even if they think it's ridiculous themselves. Vote with your feet and don't use those chains if it bothers you. I routinely take me lid off anyhow if I'm wearing a full face so it's only ever been an issue for me once. I was wearing a flip front at the time and just flipped it up and give the old dear a big grin. She harumphed and looked at me like I was a damned fool but she turned the pump on.

Life's too short I reckon. Each to their own though.
Old 17-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Administrator

I don't have an issue with company policies, just with people saying "it's the law" (or similar) when it isn't.

The missus tore someone a new one when she was returning something to Currys. The sales bloke started processing the refund to her debit card and then asked for her name and address. When she refused he said "you have to, it's for Data Protection..."

I pissed myself laughing. She was working for the government and was an ICO qualified Data Protection Auditor.

Poor bloke was almost crying at the end of her rant.

She got her money back without giving her details though
Old 17-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Need to Get out More!

Once happened to me about 3 yrs ago when a bunch of us rode into my local garage for fuel..We all had open faced helmets on with no visors etc..we went to put fuel in and the pump would not work..I looked up to see the cashier gesturing that we take our helmets off first..I went inside to ask why, and was approached by one of them dimwit pot bellied private security men (Who can't get a job anywhere else, not even to mek tea) i advised him that his nose suited him as it was, and told him to sit down to get his breath back as he seemed to be finding it hard to breath properly...The cashier said that she needed to see all our faces before she could sell us fuel or anything else as we may attempt to buy cigerettes and be underage... I let out a few expletives and asked if they would request that a Muslim would be asked to remove any face coverings..she said "Yes they would"...like fuck they would eh..we went to another garage and fuelled up with helmets on with no problem whatsoever.. Now i had used that garage since i was 14 years old buying petrol for our riverbank runabouts.. i have never used that particular garage since and neither have my friends,..I'm also old enough to remember pubs that displayed signs that said "No leather Jackets" ..No Bikers"..etc Funny how times change aint it... some o them same old pubs are now trying to attract "Our sort" with the offer of "Bike Nights" etc..
Old 17-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

When I was 16 i had a little step through honda 50 that had a 1/2 gallon tank. About to set off on a long ride i decided to brim full it so went into the local tesco and managed to get about a litre and a half in - went to pay and the atendant told me it was a minimum 2l delivery. I pointed out that couldn't be the case as i had just "delivered 1.5l" but she still wanted to charge me for the full 2l (yes i know it was pennies but i was a stroppy 16yo) until I said if I had to pay for the extra .5l i was jolly well going to have it then, but would have to pour it on her forecourt/pump as i had no space left in the tank.

She backed down
Old 17-03-2014, 07:03 PM
Chat Pimp

unfortunatly it's not only filling stations.2 mates and myself were turned away from a campsite ,the reason stated was because it was a family only site and we were 3 blokes (on bikes). we said we were brothers (of a sort) but it made no odds we still had to go elsewere.

now to but in in context I've been to the same site with my wife and caravan many times and my bike on nw200 weekend and they were happy to let me in then no mention of a family site
Old 17-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Chat Virgin

Hi all My first post on here,It happened to me,Flip top lid,filled up bike went in to pay and the female assistant told me to remove my helmet,i had the tenner in my hand so just chucked it at her,A bit off subject my wife and i go for a regular carvery,when on bike we go in in bike gear , we get sat in a corner behind a pillar,go in a car no leathers we get a middle table,we have even been turned away for breakfast whilst wearing bike gear,pissed off being judged so fuk em and fuk elf n saftey noggin
Old 18-03-2014, 10:03 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I had a similar incident at a supermarket, I went in wearing a piss pot lid, No face covering at all and the (as previously described) Security guard came over to me and said I had to remove my helmet, I was aghast.

I said "grow the fuck up, or get a grown up to speak to me". So he waddled off to get the manager.

The manager came and he really couldn't see a problem, but, he had to back up his (Un)trained monkey so he did. At that particular juncture a wee ned came strolling by wearing a baseball hat and a scarf, so I pointed him out and said to the manager, your policies are discriminatory, and at that point I dropped my basket on the floor and walked out.

Not to be beaten, I went in the following week, only this time I wasn't on the bike, filled a barrow up to the gunnels with tons of fresh and frozen stuff, got to the checkout and said to the girl, "Oh sorry I forgot, you don't serve bikers in here do you?"

She was wearing a baffled expression, so I said, "ask the manager". I then walked off abandoning a barrow full of goods at the checkout.

A bit infantile, I know, however, it felt great
Old 18-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner View Post
unfortunatly it's not only filling stations.2 mates and myself were turned away from a campsite ,the reason stated was because it was a family only site and we were 3 blokes (on bikes). we said we were brothers (of a sort) but it made no odds we still had to go elsewere.

now to but in in context I've been to the same site with my wife and caravan many times and my bike on nw200 weekend and they were happy to let me in then no mention of a family site
If you look at a lot of holiday camp/resort literature you will see that they will not accept same sex parties (of young people, anyway) because of knob-heads who go merely to get drunk/laid or make a general nuisance of themselves. Like most groups of morons, this spoils it for those who just go fro some R&R....
Old 18-03-2014, 03:22 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
Not to be beaten, I went in the following week, .... got to the checkout and said to the girl, "Oh sorry I forgot, you don't serve bikers in here do you?"

She was wearing a baffled expression, so I said, "ask the manager". I then walked off abandoning a barrow full of goods at the checkout.
My daughter's bosses are bikers - RICH bikers! They and some frind were turned away from a pub where they wanted to eat so they went back the following week in their Porsches and Ferraris and so on, ordered a meal, then left when it was served using almost exactly the same words as you.

Oddly enough, I haven't heard of any more bikers being turned away from that place!
Old 18-03-2014, 06:17 PM
Chat Virgin

Wink helmets

Y don't. We ride with Burkha's on,c wot they say.lol
Old 18-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

It's funny, when an arab wears it it's called a burkha, when an old man wears it it's called a balaclaver when a pervert wears it it's called a gimp mask and when a robber wears it it's just called a mask..

John.
Old 19-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
I had a similar incident at a supermarket, I went in wearing a piss pot lid, No face covering at all and the (as previously described) Security guard came over to me and said I had to remove my helmet, I was aghast.

I said "grow the fuck up, or get a grown up to speak to me". So he waddled off to get the manager.

The manager came and he really couldn't see a problem, but, he had to back up his (Un)trained monkey so he did. At that particular juncture a wee ned came strolling by wearing a baseball hat and a scarf, so I pointed him out and said to the manager, your policies are discriminatory, and at that point I dropped my basket on the floor and walked out.

Not to be beaten, I went in the following week, only this time I wasn't on the bike, filled a barrow up to the gunnels with tons of fresh and frozen stuff, got to the checkout and said to the girl, "Oh sorry I forgot, you don't serve bikers in here do you?"

A bit infantile, I know, however, it felt great
Love that... Infantile is just great sometimes... Fuck Em... ignorant gits...would do the same myself...