100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 26-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default "A Kindergarden Crew"

I have been transcribing my dad's 1944 diary onto word with a view to trying to get it published.

He was a bomber pilot on Halifaxes during the war. I've posted a couple of entries here to give you a flavour of what life was like for him at that time. I've transcribed it literally word for word as written as I didn't want to lose any of the detail. I am amazed as to how much detail he put in it for so small a book (a pocket diary). Also I find it very hard emotionally, so I spend a little time every day just doing a couple of A4 pages of equivalent entries from the diary.

This first entry is for 21 & 22/1/1944. Dad was on a training flight in a Wellington:-

Fri. 21/1/1944
In bed 0115, up 1100. Two letters from Stan. Phillips excused flying for 48 hrs. Solo X-C tonite. Other B/A didn’t turn up. T/O 1805. 1904 something wrong with engines ht. 15.000’. Crashed 5 mins later. No-one hurt, Wooly knocked out for a few secs. A miracle, that we did. Stbd. Engine torn off. Thought I’d bought it. Taken to Rufforth (Con. Unit)by C.O. Couldn’t sleep. Thought of June, as we hit, wondered how she’d take it.
Sat. 22/1/1944
Got what stuff we could find from A/C & dumped it in ‘chute room. A/C pretty badly smashed. Left York 1435.Brought Navi & W/OP’s stuff. Got back to Didcot 2330. Don’t feel like flying again

It wasn't until the 1990's that my Dad found out what caused the crash. It was found to be either poor servicing and/or sabotage! This was gleaned when my Dad's Navigator wrote to the RAF Museum regarding the crash incident and they looked up the service record card of the a/c which revealed the problem. This was never brought up at the Court of enquiry, although my Dad was cleared of any error.

This second entry refers to the Title of this thread, and I propose to use this as the title of the book:-

Sat. 18/3/1944
Finished off Arr. Chit. Had a look around a Hally P.M. Met my F/E. spent the rest of the afternoon in various Hallys. He seem to know his gen. A Newcastle chap under 21 yrs. We are a Kindergarden crew.:- only 2 being over 21:- W/Op & M/Ug. A/C is quite spacious and clean inside. Think I’ll like it. Received a letter from my darling, replied.

And this last entry nearly had me balling! It's self explanatory really:-

Wed. 22/3/1944
School AM. Pneumatic system. PM. Collected 3 oranges for each of the crew. Did a tour of a/c with F/E. cont’d 1600 hrs. Received mail from Stan, Home, and my beloved June. In it she writes “I love you”, I know it, & it is the most beautiful knowledge in the world, to know that I’m loved by the one I love. And I love her with all my heart and soul.

The power of words!

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 26-01-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 26-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I have just got hold of wives grandfathers WW1 diary as son is off to ypres (which he survived) in a few weeks on a school trip. It is how understated things are - he finished up with MC & bar but brushes off the events where he got one of them as just "bit hairy"

Last edited by wurzel; 26-01-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 26-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Just a bit of advice..word sometimes drops a lot of content when saved and retrieved, more when you have a lot saved..

and when they print it they convert to PDF.

Acrobat PDF is better.

John.
Old 26-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Personally I think you could do with making iut a little clearer what was meant, maybe expl;aining the abbreviation in brackets, or even just expanding them - it's frustrating not knowing exactly what's being said.

Fascinating though!
Old 27-01-2014, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

I'm transcribing it word for word at the moment just so not to lose the emotion. Once I've done that I want to tie it in with his Log book and a sort of history of his life that he wrote in the last months of his life.

So I will "expand" his use of shortened words etc.

B/A = Bomb Aimer
Stbd = Starboard (Right hand side)
F/E = Flight Engineer
C/O = Commanding Officer
Con. Unit = Conversion Unit (Where Trainee Pilots and crews learnt to 'convert'/fly heavy bombers like Halifaxes and Lancasters.
Navi. = Navigator
W/op = Wireless operator
A/C = Aircraft.
Arr. Chit. = Arrival Chit (Paperwork that had to be completed on arriving at new RAF Camps.

Hope this helps Bobbi?
Old 27-01-2014, 09:18 AM

For those with WW1 relatives still in memory The National Archive has scanned down all the Regimental War Dairies, which can be downloaded for the princely sum of 3.63 per diary. I obtained a copy for my Lady regarding her grandfather who was killed on the Somme and has no known grave.

We did France and the battlefields last year, very moving and emotive. I hope nothing like that ever happens again.

Friar, you will be publishing through Ewokandtuck Publishing and Scrap Paper Plc?
Old 27-01-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Small footnotes at the bottom of each page for abbreviations, that way the original notes remain authentic.

wouldn't con unit be hospital (convalescent unit) after an accident?

John.

Last edited by John Hopkins; 27-01-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 27-01-2014, 12:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Small footnotes at the bottom of each page for abbreviations, that way the original notes remain authentic.
John.
That's a good idea.

Thanks for the explanations.
Old 27-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post

wouldn't con unit be hospital (convalescent unit) after an accident?

John.
Strictly speaking they were known as Heavy Conversion Units. this was where the crews were trained from flying Ansons, Oxfords and Wellingtons onto Halifaxes, Lancasters, Stirlings, etc. My Dad was Stationed at RAF Harwell, Oxon which was the Base for 15 O.T.U. This was an Operational Training Unit where the crews were assembled and formed into Flying units and trained to work as a team. Once they had completed the course and were deemed ready for combat so to speak. They were transferred over to an HCU (Heavy Conversion Unit) for conversion to the Heavy bombers, once they had completed this course they were then Transferred to an active squadron. Where their life expectancy was about 10 ops!

My Dad and his crew were taken to Rufforth which was an HCU so they could be sent back to Harwell. Once my Dad and his crew had completed their course at Harwell, they were transferred to RAF Rufforth which was the Home of 1663 HCU. After this they were sent to 578 Squadron for active duty.

Apparently the crew were totally unhurt, apart from the rear gunner who was knocked unconscious for a few minutes when he was ejected out of his turret when the plane came to a halt after sliding along the field after hitting some tree tops and ploughing through a wood. They were checked out at Rufforth and deemed fit! My Dad was some lucky bugger I can tell you!

Once I've transcribed the diary I can then refine it by adding appendices and glossaries etc. Just at the moment I want to capture the emotion of the time.

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 27-01-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 28-01-2014, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
For those with WW1 relatives still in memory The National Archive has scanned down all the Regimental War Dairies, which can be downloaded for the princely sum of 3.63 per diary. I obtained a copy for my Lady regarding her grandfather who was killed on the Somme and has no known grave.

We did France and the battlefields last year, very moving and emotive. I hope nothing like that ever happens again.

Friar, you will be publishing through Ewokandtuck Publishing and Scrap Paper Plc?
I haven't been able to trace my Granddads WW1 records yet. Granddad Eve was an underage Volunteer at 14 in 1914! He survived the whole war in the trenches! And Granddad Hunt was out in Thesalonika, and I believe he was at Gallipolli but I'm not sure.

As to publishing through EwokandTuck? Not until the Tea and Bikkie fund has rightfully been restored!
Old 28-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Until I can con erm! earn some money from publishing the said memoirs, I can't restore the tea a biccie fund ( which is really down now at approx. 3,500,000,000.37). So you understand why we need to do this.
Old 28-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Perhaps we should launch a Loyalty Point scheme.....They Pay we nick their loyalty points! Apparently someone's already nicking Tesco Club Card points. That made I larf big time!
Old 29-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Points make prizes.....

Do slaves really need points, though we could add more points to the cat'o'nine tails. That would be more of an incentive to repay their debt than cash....