100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 09-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Chat Pimp

Default NOS brake calipers

I have just bought a pair of new old stock brake calipers for my Speed triple manufactured circa 1995 complete with pads. They are original Nissin pads dry stored and look all good. What are peoples thoughts on using them after all this time please ?
Old 09-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Chatter Box

If they never had fluid in em i cant see a problem but would strip & check them just to see if the seals were ok

Where did you get them from by the way i'd be up for buying some for my project if the proce is right
Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

I've never heard of a problem with old pads and if they aint rusty I would use them.

As for the callipers: If the seals (plugs) are still in the pipe connections they should be fine. If they are missing I'd strip the calliper check the bores for corrosion and fit new seals if the bores are OK.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I put some new old EBC pads on a gt550 (kwak) in the mid 90's after a couple of weeks I had to do an emergency stop and afterwards could hear a strange clacking from one caliper - looked and the pad material had completely come away from the metal plate on one pad so it was floating around (hence clacking sound). I seemed some moisture had got behind the pad material and bubbled up some rust (even though there was no visible rust externally) that had been enough to weaken the bond between pad and backing (if i remember right they are sort of riveted on by which i mean two prongs of pad material go through holes in the metal backing and are then smeared over.

Saying that when i was strapped for cash i got hold of a crash damaged gpz900r for spares for mine and the pads on that were near new so i used them even though they had sat for about 4 years and had no issues
Old 10-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I'd have a very good look at those pads and if there was the slightest possibility of corrosion behind the pad material I'd bin them. I wouldn't have worried about them until earlier this year when I was helping a mate sort out a cheap bike he'd bought on ebay. As it had stood for a few years we gave it a good check over, when we took the rear brake off to give it a bit of a clean and a look-see the brake lining material just fell off! I'd never seen that happened before but I definitely don't want to find out what it feels like if that was to happen while riding
Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

They are probably OK, a few years ago a lot of pads were made from stuff mixed up in a bucket in Indonesia by home workers, they were then packed and made to look like OEM parts, they had a habit of separating from the back plate some of these may have slipped through the net and still be hanging about, but the odds are in your favour.

John.