100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 17-02-2018, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

I am now the proud owner of Igor, our new Skoda Rapid!
Old 17-02-2018, 07:23 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Skoda Rapid!
A contradiction of words & Does not compute
Old 17-02-2018, 07:37 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

When Iím sat in a lay-by in the middle of nowhere eating a sandwich and a 30 seater bus from Teesside comes screeching to a halt in front of you, and a dozen or more drunken wimminí on a hen do come bounding off the bus and drop their knickers for a piss at the back of the bus, which is 20ft in front of my windscreen, is enough to put me off my food.
Clearly they where oblivious to my presence, so I figured itíd be polite to pip the horn on the truck and point out the 2 video cameras in my windscreen which are constantly recording, one of which for security reasons sends a live stream back to the office.
Old 17-02-2018, 08:08 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
As a Buyer I've got to work for some really good firms over the years, and several really well, known ones in the engineering and manufacturing areas. Some have been bloody good companies to work for and some really crap ones as well. And it is not surprising that one or two of the really well known ones have been the crappiest ones to work for!... RS...ahem who said that?
I have worked for a large number of different companies as a freelance consultant. I was taken on for a specific new building project or more if the work came in.
I much prefered to be freelance than paye employed, becaue I have a low threshold for boredom.
So I moved around and met loadsa people..
But I could earn twice as much freelance as paye employed. But it's not for everyone, some people are comfy with a regular monthly pay cheque.
Old 17-02-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
I have worked for a large number of different companies as a freelance consultant. I was taken on for a specific new building project or more if the work came in.
I much prefered to be freelance than paye employed, becaue I have a low threshold for boredom.
So I moved around and met loadsa people..
But I could earn twice as much freelance as paye employed. But it's not for everyone, some people are comfy with a regular monthly pay cheque.
Loved contracting, worked with only one mate and you were in different places all the time, doing different work (loved breweries for some reason) and met different guys on every job. Job and knock(finish) made good money doing an weeks work in four days, getting paid for the seven and moving onto another job. Loved the life but marriage and family life suffered......
Old 18-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
When Iím sat in a lay-by in the middle of nowhere eating a sandwich and a 30 seater bus from Teesside comes screeching to a halt in front of you, and a dozen or more drunken wimminí on a hen do come bounding off the bus and drop their knickers for a piss at the back of the bus, which is 20ft in front of my windscreen, is enough to put me off my food.
Clearly they where oblivious to my presence, so I figured itíd be polite to pip the horn on the truck and point out the 2 video cameras in my windscreen which are constantly recording, one of which for security reasons sends a live stream back to the office.
Download it to youtube and we can also have a laugh and watch it go viral at the same time....
Old 18-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
A contradiction of words & Does not compute
It's the juxtaposition of the oxymoron.......
Old 18-02-2018, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Now nailing rotten fence panels to rotten fence posts!
Old 18-02-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Now nailing rotten fence panels to rotten fence posts!
Iíd talk to the suppliers Ewok & Tuck timber merchants, about the quality of their materials ........
Old 18-02-2018, 10:41 AM

I found out yesterday that a guy who was a drivers mate on the flour contract I worked on in the past, and spent many hours having the craic with, was killed at the beginning of this month in a truck crash on the A47 near Norwich, a truck Iíd driven very frequently too
Old 18-02-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I found out yesterday that a guy who was a drivers mate on the flour contract I worked on in the past, and spent many hours having the craic with, was killed at the beginning of this month in a truck crash on the A47 near Norwich, a truck Iíd driven very frequently too
Sorry to hear that mate! It's hard to lose a good friend.
Old 18-02-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Loved contracting, worked with only one mate and you were in different places all the time, doing different work (loved breweries for some reason) and met different guys on every job. Job and knock(finish) made good money doing an weeks work in four days, getting paid for the seven and moving onto another job. Loved the life but marriage and family life suffered......
Yes meeting new people was great and as you say you keep meeting them on the circuit. Same bunch of freelance guys doing the round. I did well with a couple of agency staff and built good relationships. But the agency staff also change quite often. When you're at the top of your game you are always in demand. Until recession hits and construction is always the first one in and the last one out. But even so I was still bored with the technical and legal/contractual song and dance all the time.
So that's why I had fast bikes to counterbalance the tedium. The best stress relief as well.
Old 19-02-2018, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
So sorry to hear that, mate! Was it on the Acle Straight? That's a bitch of a road....
Old 19-02-2018, 11:21 AM

I only found ou about it on Saturday and googled the details http://www.derehamtimes.co.uk/news/a...amed-1-5394237
Obviously Itís some time since I worked with the guy, but he never shirked and got stuck in
Old 20-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

My condolances, mate.
Old 20-02-2018, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Ok, weird dream time:- I was on Britains Got Talent dressed up as a Village Idiot trying to milk a Pantomine cow!......

That's all I'm prepared to say on the matter!
Old 20-02-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I was dressed up as a Village Idiot trying to milk a Pantomine cow!......
That is the latent 'Norfolk' in you.
Old 20-02-2018, 10:54 AM

Today I are finishing off bailing water out of the boot on the car. This is another Ford design feature from when they owned Jaguar in addition to the Ford feature or rotting rear wheel arches which Ford patented in the 1950s and has stood the test of time.

The car refused to start yesterday and instead gave me a spectacular display of randomly flashing dash lights and the same style of calibration of the dials as the Hayabusa. Coupled with a rattling sound, various beepings and humming noises from whatever electrickery gubbins. Now what could that be I pondered?

Battery, me thinks.
And yay as I went forth to the boot, low and behold the boot didst containeth a deluge of biblical proportions.
Ah yes I recognised immediately another Ford design.
Thankfully the battery was fine, 12.9v at rest.
However the (-) earth connection clamp on the battery looks like it came off a Ford Prefect and was somewhat loose.
So after slackening the clamp off some more and waggling it about to make a good connection I tightened the clamp up good and proper. Will order a new robust terminal clamp ASAP.
Looks like a Bodge it and Scarper job to me?

Last edited by HOS; 20-02-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 20-02-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Ok, weird dream time:- I was on Britains Got Talent dressed up as a Village Idiot trying to milk a Pantomine cow!......

That's all I'm prepared to say on the matter!
Quick, paddle faster ....... I hear banjos
Old 20-02-2018, 11:16 AM

I have been to the east. But I went around the place known as Wisbech not wishing to be cannibalised by the locals.
Old 21-02-2018, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Today I are finishing off bailing water out of the boot on the car. This is another Ford design feature from when they owned Jaguar in addition to the Ford feature or rotting rear wheel arches which Ford patented in the 1950s and has stood the test of time.

The car refused to start yesterday and instead gave me a spectacular display of randomly flashing dash lights and the same style of calibration of the dials as the Hayabusa. Coupled with a rattling sound, various beepings and humming noises from whatever electrickery gubbins. Now what could that be I pondered?

Battery, me thinks.
And yay as I went forth to the boot, low and behold the boot didst containeth a deluge of biblical proportions.
However the (-) earth connection clamp on the battery looks like it came off a Ford Prefect and was somewhat loose.
So after slackening the clamp off some more and waggling it about to make a good connection I tightened the clamp up good and proper. Will order a new robust terminal clamp ASAP.
Ewokandtuck Garage Services are at your beck and call! Ewok get the jack hammer out we'll have a couple of holes in his boots in no time to let the water in..err...out!
Old 21-02-2018, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have been to the east. But I went around the place known as Wisbech not wishing to be cannibalised by the locals.
They grow extra toes the further east you go.....
Old 21-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
They grow extra toes the further east you go.....
We joke about it, but in Norfolk we used to pass a very old house on the Hunstanton road with a porch out the front and dogs chained up. There were piles if wood and rusty broken old farming machinery.
To complete the picture it just needed a rocking chair and an old man in bare feet wearing dungarees.
Old 21-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Ewokandtuck Garage Services are at your beck and call! Ewok get the jack hammer out we'll have a couple of holes in his boots in no time to let the water in..err...out!
Thank you for you kind offer Sir.
I have the correct toolage here in the form of a 9" angle grinder.
A multi use tool it is.
Old 21-02-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Battery, me thinks.
Another Ford permanent fixture was the common earth for all the rear lights/indicators etc. So when the earth rusted up it would earth out through one of the other lights, usually the indicator/brake light so both lights flashed while turning.

Had to explain this to a copper once because he thought I was playing silly buggers with my brakes......
Old 21-02-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Another Ford permanent fixture was the common earth for all the rear lights/indicators etc. So when the earth rusted up it would earth out through one of the other lights, usually the indicator/brake light so both lights flashed while turning.

Had to explain this to a copper once because he thought I was playing silly buggers with my brakes......
Did you still get a ticket?

I had a couple of Ford rotboxes in my yoof.
They were just plain nasty.
I remember how the door frames were so rusted that I had to make sure to hold the door upwards while getting in and out of the car otherwise they would drop making horrid ripped rusty metal sounds. But I couldn't push them up too hard or the hinge points would rip going upwards too. It would have failed quickly in banger racing.
You couldn't brake too hard incase your boot went straight through the rusty floor pan.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:23 PM

The only fragrance we wore going out on a Satdee night was P38 and a splash of fibreglass resin.
Old 22-02-2018, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
We joke about it, but in Norfolk we used to pass a very old house on the Hunstanton road with a porch out the front and dogs chained up. There were piles if wood and rusty broken old farming machinery.
To complete the picture it just needed a rocking chair and an old man in bare feet wearing dungarees.
There are several like that on the A47 From Guyhirn through to King's Lynn...
Old 22-02-2018, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

But you play silly buggers any way.....!
Old 22-02-2018, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Did you still get a ticket?

I had a couple of Ford rotboxes in my yoof.
They were just plain nasty.
I remember how the door frames were so rusted that I had to make sure to hold the door upwards while getting in and out of the car otherwise they would drop making horrid ripped rusty metal sounds. But I couldn't push them up too hard or the hinge points would rip going upwards too. It would have failed quickly in banger racing.
You couldn't brake too hard incase your boot went straight through the rusty floor pan.
Nowadays you get a scratch in the paintwork it's an MOT failure and it's part exed for a new jobbie on a PCP and the old one sent to the scrappie or one of them Car Supermarket.COM thingies!...