100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Chat Virgin

Default Swinging Arm Convertion frame Mods

Hi new to the forum
But was wanting some information if possible please.

I have been told by a few people that with a swinging arm trike convertion that you can cut of and re-do the rear seat frames as long as you do not touch the engine cradle at all.
I have phoned the Ministry and a couple of occassions regarding this and have been told a few different answers so i am no further forward.

On one answer i have been told that you can not alter frame in any way i.e. cut anything of from standard to abide by the swinging arm convertion rules.

On another occassion they have changed there stories and have told me that the frame can be altered only at the rear of the frame from the shock mounts if it is a twin shock mount only. And the alterationbs do not interfere with the suspention.

So was wondering if i could through this out and see what you think with your dealings or knowledge of triking a bike with a swinging are convertion.

thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

rubbish, not what you been told, just swingarm trikes are rubbish LOL

if you must then my experience and understanding is that the frame must be unmodified and capable of being returned to the bike that it was.

small mods to strengthen the frame are allowed, but not a lot else
Old 11-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

There always been confusion over the legal issue of converting bikes to trikes.

So first there is a difference between two types of modification.

You can bolt on bits and that is considered to not be a permanent modification.

Or you can cut the frame or weld summat to the frame, that is considered permanent modification.

Permanent modifications mean you need SVA non permanent means you don't need SVA.

It makes sense because you can unbolt the swing arm and fit a new one and it's still the same bike.

But the frame is the legal identity of the bike, change that and it's a different vehicle.

But I agree with Tony swing arm conversions are shit. They put a stress on the swing arm mounts that it was never designed to cope with.
But if you brace it up you've modified the frame.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
But if you brace it up you've modified the frame.
Unless you use bolt on bracing.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
Unless you use bolt on bracing.
Nobody likes a smart arse you know
Old 11-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Nobody likes a smart arse you know
Thats what I used, it didn't stop the fucking swinging arm breaking though but protected the frame lol.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 11-10-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: cant spell for shit, and forgot to spellcheck it first.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
Thats what I used, it didn't stop the fucking swinging arm breaking though but protected the frame lol.
point well made
Old 16-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Chat Virgin

Thanks very much for the replies.
Put's confussion to rest
Old 17-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
rubbish, not what you been told, just swingarm trikes are rubbish LOL

if you must then my experience and understanding is that the frame must be unmodified and capable of being returned to the bike that it was.

small mods to strengthen the frame are allowed, but not a lot else
Why they rubbish then gtr
Old 17-11-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakboy View Post
The bike frame is designed with two wheels in mind if you bolt a car axle to the swing arm it puts twisting forces through the swing arm pivot that it was not designed to deal with.

That's why some of them snap.
Old 22-11-2013, 09:40 PM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakboy View Post
oh now thats gonnaa put the cat amongst the pigeons KEV
Old 25-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

haha I only just saw this, guessing that you either bored and thought you go trolling or this was when the beloved UKT forum was down LOL so you were bored

its been done to death, the "majority" of swingarms just arent done properly, and the whole idea of the rigid wide swingarm is wrong. I have had dealings with about 5 or 6 swingarm conversions, every one of them was wrong in major style, or had broken either the arm or the frame

too many idiots go welding stupid heavy frame assemblies to the original arm thats got no real strength to it.

it wasnt designed to take twisting forces, merely pivot.

I know that yours work and you love them, I never said anything bad about yours as I prefer the way you pick up the suspension points outside the frame thus having wider spread and less leverage.

but hey its my opinion, you love them and I dont, be a boring world if we all thought and did the same

they should be subject to MSVA just like a full build
Old 02-02-2014, 07:08 AM
Chat Virgin

Lol got bored again ,As you know gtr i dont do grafted swingarm convertion and my swingarm was designed with the rose joints fitted to allow for a little give in the frame.......i think i should pop in hear more offten could be fun...... try and convince the critics that bolton's can be done with out to many probs....but then again the only person i think you need to convince is your self
Attached Images

Last edited by zakboy; 02-02-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:14 AM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirl View Post
oh now thats gonnaa put the cat amongst the pigeons KEV
lol i think it as swirl.......a bit of debate is healthy as long as its kept fluffy
Attached Images

Last edited by zakboy; 02-02-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:55 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I think there may be another way for a bolt on trike, might not be as goods zacboys but depending on the bike it might widen the options available. My idea is that one could use the sidecar clamps or use the engine mount bolts option to build a rear subframe that runs along the length of the bike picking up engine mounts to make a hardtail trike, then spring the seat rather than have a swing arm. It would still be bolt on but technically more easy to achive in the home workshop. I've yet to get round to building a trike - usual lame excuse of wife and kids vs time in shed, though I still ride the bike to work ( Fraid I do have to plead guilty to using a car a few times this winter having past that test).
Old 02-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
I think there may be another way for a bolt on trike, might not be as goods zacboys but depending on the bike it might widen the options available. My idea is that one could use the sidecar clamps or use the engine mount bolts option to build a rear subframe that runs along the length of the bike picking up engine mounts to make a hardtail trike, then spring the seat rather than have a swing arm. It would still be bolt on but technically more easy to achive in the home workshop. I've yet to get round to building a trike - usual lame excuse of wife and kids vs time in shed, though I still ride the bike to work ( Fraid I do have to plead guilty to using a car a few times this winter having past that test).
Its always intrest me to see diffrent ideas i think we all learn somthing from each others builds/convertions i work from my back garden shed these days so dont have a lot of room but i dont let that stop me where theres a will theres a way,i have two trikes to finish then when there done im doing no more im more intrested these days in making custom addons eg gattling gun exhaust,and foot pegs, forward controls,etc
Attached Images

Last edited by zakboy; 02-02-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
Not a new idea, but done well (as always) it does work well, and it need not cost a lot to do. So get on with it !
Old 02-02-2014, 07:04 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Mine's a bolt-on using the original swingarm - I've been told by many that it's not agoodway of doing it but mine's done thousands of miles and the bloke who built it has done hundreds the same way and I haven't heard of any of them giving problems.

http://s195.photobucket.com/user/Bik...version?sort=4
Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Chat Virgin

Not a great fan of bolt on conversion, though there are some like zakboy who do it well. If you are going to do a hardtail trike wouldn't it be better to make a new frame. Or is this just to avoid MSVA
Attached Images

Last edited by Olds; 04-02-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Chat Virgin

Hi old's, just to say first im not limted to doing bolton's,but i think if you are trying to avoid somthing that is in the system then you could be seen to be abusing that system,as it stands boltons requre a dvla inspection so any one who chooses to do a bolton they are not breaking any rules they are doing what the system requres how other's see it is realy up to them.....but i suspect the debate on this subject will go on and on

Last edited by zakboy; 04-02-2014 at 09:49 AM.