100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Chatter Box

Default White Lines

I have just been nicked for crossing double white lines whilst filtering at the bottom of Blackheath Hill. That's three points and 100 fine. This is not a whinge, the police told me the are going to carry on pulling us and dishing out fines until we stop doing it. I just thought you may want to think twice about it if you travel that way.
P*sser though.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Was the traffic stationary?

My understanding is you can cross a double white to pass a vehicle that is stationary.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Chatter Box

It is always stop-go there. I don't think I can get away with it. There were three of us in a row, booked by different police so unless the others made the same claim there isn't much I can do.
I'm just letting people know by way of warning. While we were at the roadside loads were going past oblivious as to why we were stopped. It's going to be a gift for them.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Jedi Chat Master

As I see it, it's slow vehicles and vehicles causing an obstruction. I'd better check it now.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

I almost never cross the double white, I try to filter inside them..the way I ride is as if a camera or cop is watching me..this is not because I am a good rider or even trying to ride within the letter of the law, it's because evry time I have been caught it has been by a cop or camera I haven't seen..

I don't mind paying for speeding or any other traffic law I break, it's the points I hate, higher insurance for a start and in places like Cardiff and other cities you can get caught for speeding 4 times in a mile or less..I don't think I could pass the new tests as easily as I passed the old one 53 years ago..

John.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Chatter Box

On that short stretch you can queue with the traffic, take the middle and hope for the best when the lane converge or go down the outside. For the most part it is possible to stay inside the lines but it is tight. Most bikes take the outside. Bearing in mind it is the A2 and it was crush hour there were a lot of us.
Like he said when he booked me... it was my unlucky day.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

From the Highway code.

Double white lines where the line nearest you is solid. This means you MUST NOT cross or straddle it unless it is safe and you need to enter adjoining premises or a side road. You may cross the line if necessary, provided the road is clear, to pass a stationary vehicle, or overtake a pedal cycle, horse or road maintenance vehicle, if they are travelling at 10 mph (16 km/h) or less.

"If the road is clear"

So if there's traffic coming the other way you is gonna get knicked.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Chatter Box

I have made the thread to warn others. Just because it is what everyone does or you are part of a pack there is unlikely to be a defense and the Met are making it a target.
I'm still gutted. Like John said, the fine is tough but the points are worse. Still, as they say "If you can't do the time don't do the crime". I'm not looking for anyone else to blame.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Chatter Box

Does anyone know if the ticket has to be issued by the PC that actually witnessed the alleged offense? The guy that wrote my ticket could not possibly have seen my road position - I was pulled over by his colleague who never spoke to me. He was too busy dealing with the two guys behind me that he also pulled over. If I elect to go to court are they just going to call the other PC as a witness?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodda View Post
Does anyone know if the ticket has to be issued by the PC that actually witnessed the alleged offense? The guy that wrote my ticket could not possibly have seen my road position - I was pulled over by his colleague who never spoke to me. He was too busy dealing with the two guys behind me that he also pulled over. If I elect to go to court are they just going to call the other PC as a witness?

If you go to court the police paperwork will fit the crime/case..honesty does not take a part in court proceedings, in fact just the opposite, the whole business is all about which side can convince the judge, who wasn't there, that they are more believable..Unless you have a lawyer who can lie better than the police you will just lose and have to pay more court costs and maybe even a bigger fine...It doesn't really matter whether you were guilty or not, you were in the wrong place at the wrong time..

Anyway, you were guilty..My advice..mark it down to experience and try to spot them first next time..

John.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM
Chatter Box

Just clutching at straws....