100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 19-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Chat Slapper

Default Should I be pi**ed off??

There are few things that I *truly* value in life - things I've earned, built, created and cared for mostly.

While I'm a proud biker, and prefer two wheels over four, I'm also a proud owner of a nice sporty German car. I drive it like a lunatic I'll admit, but always with care when other people decide to use my roads. In the same way I'm protective over my bike, I like to keep my car ding-free too, and generally tend to park it mindful of the sort of numpties I share the atmosphere with.

Anyway, the other day, I'm parked up outside the gym, minding my own business, when I woman squeezes a Q7 in the gap next to me. My inbuilt proximity alarm is already going off, but she manages to exit the vehicle without harm, and I go on reading a book.

Two minutes later, she returns with sprogs, and one of them whacks a dent in my door while opening their own. Naturally, I didn't take it well, and got out to check the damage while asking bluntly for her insurance details.

My thinking is this: SHE is responsible for what her sprogs do. I was an innocent party. The nature of the ding (it's too small to suction, but big enough to be noticed 10ft away) means that it'll be a door-liner off, 400 quid repair. That's a week's wages for me.

Anyhow, she then starts playing the 'I'm not giving you my details, you'll try to rip me off' bullshit. Given that I was already the wounded party, I didn't take this well, but remained calm and pointed.

Next thing, she's giving it 'he's only a child, he didn't mean it' - no, I know that, I never suggested he did, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be aggrieved. SHE should be more responsible. Why should I pay for her kids' damage - accidental or otherwise.

Then she starts dragging her pals (in another car, already parked up) into the situation, and all of a sudden, I'm the 'horrible man' who's harassing this poor woman. As soon as she knew she had them on side, out came the 'you've been threatening me' crappola. I never did, not once. I didn't swear (she did), I didn't accuse or insult, I just wanted her to take responsibility instead of bullshitting.

I gave up trying to reason with them, and I knew I was getting close to loosing my rag, so I got back in my car and carried on reading. Two minutes later, she's banging on my window, and continues to tell me what a reasonable person she is, and what a nasty man I am. So much for her feeling threatened.

I treat people the way I expect to be treated - I don't try to f*ck anyone over, nor do I take being f*cked with. This woman played every card in the book to appear the wounded party, and, despite subsequent dark thoughts, at the time I contained the rage.

The same nonchalant attitude has been evident when I've been knocked off my bike - 'well, if you will ride those dangerous things' - WHAT!?!?!?

Slowly coming to the conclusion that most of the oxygen-thieving, suburbanite ignorati in this country could disappear overnight and I'd probably be none-the-wiser.
Old 19-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Send a message via MSN to Worjorj

Fuck em. As soon as they get mouthy, start calling the police. That tends to shut them up.
Old 19-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worjorj View Post
Fuck em. As soon as they get mouthy, start calling the police. That tends to shut them up.
I just can't bring myself to involve the plod. Yeah, I appreciate that there are some good ones, there's also been times where they've backed the wrong horse entirely - it never goes down well. Apparently, 'innocent citizens' need protecting more than I do.
Old 19-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Send a message via MSN to Worjorj

Fair point. Alternative is to start videoing them with your phone...even if you haven't got one, just point the thing at them.

Oh, and brake fluid in a syringe may come in handy...apparently.
Old 19-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worjorj View Post
Oh, and brake fluid in a syringe may come in handy...apparently.
Is that to inject the f*ckers and hope it spreads??
Old 19-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with the camera and taking a photo of her number plate and mentioning that it is a criminal offense to drive away from the scene of an accident without offering insurance details..I wouldn't have let her get away with it, I would have also asked if she was refusing to give insurance details because she was an uninsured driver and was she endangering her sweet innocent children while driving under the influence of drink..

After all of that she might have been glad to give you her insurance details..

John.
Old 19-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
After all of that she might have been glad to give you her insurance details.
After all I have said, my honest thoughts are that I wouldn't have got the result I wanted, even with her details. She'd have bullshitted her insurance company, I'd have spent months chasing with little chance of a positive outcome, and best case scenario was filler and respray on a previously pristine panel.

Honestly, if the twat had just have been genuinely sorry, and not trying to worm out of it or make me seem like the asshole, I'd have probably given her some credit. As it is, I have to continue living with the fact that there are people living in this world that don't deserve the skin they stand in.

Wow, that was cathartic. ;-)
Old 19-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Chat Virgin

[QUOTE=

Wow, that was cathartic. ;-)[/QUOTE]

well , at least you got her name then......
Old 19-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Chat Slapper

Ouch. Just.. ouch.
Old 19-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardShoulderShoe View Post
Honestly, if the twat had just have been genuinely sorry, and not trying to worm out of it or make me seem like the asshole, I'd have probably given her some credit.
Its nice to hear that there are still people who feel this way. Sadly, to most people, a 'sorry' opens you up to all sorts of liability from the other party (especially if you're genuinely the party in the wrong).

The incident itself is not a good one, but all too common. Sorry to hear about your woes.
I have a 2 year old. I don't drive a 4x4 and never will (*please don't save this for future piss taking). My Focus does all I need for kiddie transport. People have free choice to buy them blah blah blah but need to remember that UK parking spaces are still drawn too small (and that ain't gonna change).
I always park in the pushchair space if I can, that way I can get the door open. If there is no pushchair space, I see it as my job to park in a way that the door can be opened enough to remove my boy without causing damage to another vehicle.
2 caveats though:
If someone else parks their car 1 inch from my car, Ima fling my door open on it - gimme some space its not like you can't see the baby seat.
If you're parked in the pushchair space and don't have a kid, or your 'kid' is about 14, Ima splat a freshly soiled nappy on your windscreen. You want the parking advantages of a kid, you can have one of the disadvantages too (eh? Little-Miss-Lady-Who-Lunches-in-Lakeside-Retail-Park-Car-Park-in-your-Merc last week).
Old 19-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Banned

I have a serious dislike for German sports cars. Even more so than my past feelings for Volvo's.

Oh yes and if it was a private carpark... good luck with any so called claim. You park at your own risk.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 19-08-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 19-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I'd have calmly said it wasn't a problem. Then I'd have taken her reg number and car details and I would then have had someone witness her reversing into your door and driving off in a rather erratic manner and reported it to the police at a later date.

Revenge is a dish best served cold
Old 20-08-2013, 08:54 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I'd have calmly said it wasn't a problem. Then I'd have taken her reg number and car details and I would then have had someone witness her reversing into your door and driving off in a rather erratic manner and reported it to the police at a later date.

OOH I like that one
Old 20-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Chat Slapper

@Fenrir - fair play, a little common sense and respect goes a long way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
I have a serious dislike for German sports cars. Even more so than my past feelings for Volvo's.

Oh yes and if it was a private carpark... good luck with any so called claim. You park at your own risk.
Nailed the point on both counts - awesome! ;-)

(PS. civil claims can take place anywhere that fault can be established - I could have parked my car on her driveway and still pursued litigation if she damaged it. The whole 'park at your own risk' is the landowners' feeble attempt at avoiding civil claims - isn't worth the tin it's printed on.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

Haha, a devious mind at work!
Old 20-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Fuck it, make the bitch pay.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.