100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 18-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Chat Slapper

Default Is it wrong...

...to have sent my 11 year old son home to his mom (the ex wife) with a 4ft Samurai sword we fashioned while tinkering in the workshop today?
Old 18-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Jedi Chat Master

It would only be wrong if it's too big/heavy for him
Old 18-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

When I was 11 we had metalwork and chemistry classes, I made a brass canon in metalwork on the lathe, bored it out to the size of a ball bearing, drilled a small hole for the fuse, which in those days was sold in toyshops to light solid fuel for small rockets, mixed up some sulpher, salt petre and charcoal to make gunpowder..I bolted it in a vice and fired it across the metalwork room into a copper sheet..It was promptly confiscated by the teacher and I never saw it again...I suppose, on reflection it was a good job I didn't have the plans for an AK47..

John.
Old 18-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
When I was 11 we had metalwork and chemistry classes, I made a brass canon in metalwork on the lathe, bored it out to the size of a ball bearing, drilled a small hole for the fuse, which in those days was sold in toyshops to light solid fuel for small rockets, mixed up some sulpher, salt petre and charcoal to make gunpowder..I bolted it in a vice and fired it across the metalwork room into a copper sheet..It was promptly confiscated by the teacher and I never saw it again...I suppose, on reflection it was a good job I didn't have the plans for an AK47..
Brilliant.. just brilliant.
Old 18-08-2013, 10:29 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I remember that fuse I think it was Jetex made for the tiny expensive jet engines we used to make a low cost version out of a humberol paint can it had far less power than the proper one but still worked well enough once we learnt to make a clamp for the lid
Talking of school i remember trying to make cider in science but someone reported us to the headmaster
Old 19-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Jees how did we ever survive without all these health and safety loonies.

Length of copper pipe soldered a cap to one end drilled out another cap and secured with a suiitable nut, legth of fuse ...and the contents of a box of fireworks shoved into said copper tube.....lit the bloody fuse and stood what we considered a safe distance ...5 feet away .....

Good days.... maybe explains why am going deaf ....

Bows and arrows / crossbows using old darts as the pointed bits...

Bogies or gigs made out of old silver cross prams.

Anything semi flammable was tested to destruction.

The list of home made weapons of mass destruction we made is huge not to mention pretty scary.

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 19-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

Based on most of the above I think your son may survive..

John.
Old 19-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Oh and dont forget looking for empty metal paint tins on bomb sites to stick a penny banger in and jam the lid on before it went off..good for at least 30 feet.

John.
Old 19-08-2013, 05:10 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardShoulderShoe View Post
...to have sent my 11 year old son home to his mom (the ex wife) with a 4ft Samurai sword we fashioned while tinkering in the workshop today?
Yes it was very wrong, he was not fully armed, you should have given him some light bulbs to use as hand grenades too.
Old 19-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Chat Pimp

Default Ex-Mrs

Does she have a white car?
Attached Images

Old 19-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
Yes it was very wrong, he was not fully armed, you should have given him some light bulbs to use as hand grenades too.
We used old valves/tubes out of old tellys... A cob of lime dropped in a jam jar with a drop of water.. They use bang... even got hold of rail safty/warning detonators to drop of top of barn roof on farm yard... We woke the whole village up Lol!

Yeah! Bike Busters right.. you sent home without reliable back up!

Last edited by RebuiltYorkie; 19-08-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 19-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir View Post
Does she have a white car?
Well may be not a whole one... may be one with a hole in it!
Old 19-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebuiltYorkie View Post
We used old valves/tubes out of old tellys... A cob of lime dropped in a jam jar with a drop of water.. They use bang... even got hold of rail safty/warning detonators to drop of top of barn roof on farm yard... We woke the whole village up Lol!

Yeah! Bike Busters right.. you sent home with reliable back up!
Hell I'd forgotten about those detonators we used to make mortar's using them
Drop one into a tube then drop a sash window weight on top a mates dad used to make the tubes for us another mate's dad used to get the detonators window weights came from empty houses

Anyone remember weed killer and sugar
Old 20-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskers View Post

Anyone remember weed killer and sugar
Old 20-08-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post

John.
Thats whats missing from modern education... The ability to make useful stuff from whats to hand!
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 20-08-2013, 09:25 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Some of us grew up when growing up was fun we could go out we could get dirty when the coppers took us home dad would take off his belt

Sometimes i look at my grandsons and can't see them riding a pushbike let alone building their own or extending the forks raking the frame like we used to do

I handed the six year old a potato from the garden he dropped it like it was hot ran indoors holding his hands out infront of him asking Ann to wipe the dirt of them

What the hell are they teaching our kids in school these day's okay they have done a marvellous job teaching him to read he can read better at six than i could when i left school but i don't think they are teaching him to be a boy
Old 20-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
I know that you should never have mixed sugar , fertilizer those near diesel are to be together... It was a lot more trouble than just a BIG Bang! .... We were grounded for weeks and we couldn't sit down with out a lorra padding!

What made matter worse the troubles in the North of Ireland had got to the point of blowing each other and us... We lived near a big Lime Quarry and there was a big security clamp down on who went in an who/what came out.. So what we did caused loads of bother!.. 1 barn nearly burnt down and the window frame at one end flew out.....

Last edited by RebuiltYorkie; 20-08-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 20-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskers View Post
Some of us grew up when growing up was fun we could go out we could get dirty when the coppers took us home dad would take off his belt

Sometimes i look at my grandsons and can't see them riding a pushbike let alone building their own or extending the forks raking the frame like we used to do

What the hell are they teaching our kids in school these day's okay they have done a marvellous job teaching him to read he can read better at six than i could when i left school but i don't think they are teaching him to be a boy
These days, if your caught doing mischief some injury claims lawyer is on the scene and your parents'd lose the house. Let your kid ride without a lid (on their BMX) and them and you will be deemed reckless and irresponsible and automatically judged to be at fault in any incident to which you are attached.

As for the schools, if there ain't an exam in in OFSTED will crucify you for wasting valuable time teaching anything else...including self-reliance skills. Its one of the two main reasons why I want to leave the education industry. Schools are just there as the first step on the whole produce-consume-produce merry-go-round of western industrial democracy.
Old 20-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Just realised i worded the last bit wrong i should have said

They seem to be teaching him how not to be a boy

I'm just fucking glad I'm not going to be around in 50 years
Old 20-08-2013, 08:51 PM

weed killer an sugar a tree stump an 2 car loads of ARV's turning up on me door , me trying to explain the crater in the garden where the tree stump was or used to be an being bound over for 12 months
Old 20-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Chatter Box

Weedkiller ,sugar,diesel ,railway detonators and an air rifle ,what a fine way to spend an afternoon
Old 21-08-2013, 12:11 AM

Well, I had a deprived childhood. I was never allowed near anything that could possibly be used to make an explosive device, had sharp edges or points or was in any way fun. Fun for me as a kid, was definitely not allowed.

Perhaps this explains why I have a fascination for anything that can cut, stab, chop, shoot or explode.

I have a particular passion for petrol bombs, especially when they come into contact with caravans. Quite partial to trip wires connected to shotgun shells too.

Years ago, I made a kind of mortar using steel tubing with the end welded up, bi pod to stand it up. Small slot as the ignition chamber with a sleeve to cover it attached to a cable to pull the sleeve over the slot. Cram as much shotgun powder as possible into a slightly thinner tin tube and closed the end over a thin fuse. Made a fuse using masking tape and more shotgun powder. Rammed loads of nuts and bolts into the main tube on top of the explosive. Lit the fuse and took cover!!! Took a few practice shots to get the range and aim right, but sure glad I was not within range when it went off. The "Mortar" was never where I positioned it after firing, usually several yards away. Great fun and by hell does it make a mess of anything in its way.

Happy days.

Chopper
PS: Your kid should be encouraged.

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 21-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

things that go BANG

Old 22-08-2013, 02:09 PM

I played machete baseball with my son when he was 7 and older.he got the machete and I throw apples at him and he chopped them up top game