100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Chatter Box

Default advice please

I need help. I ve had my existing bike for 18yrs now, bought it new and will never part with it. The problem i have is i have been saving for a brand ne w bike for some time and there lie the problem, i dont know what i want as a lot of the modern bikes are to Sci Fi for me, to modern, to flash and that not me. I know what i dont want thought.
I dont want a bike thats to flash, space age looking, with a fairing of any kind.

My current bike is a Honda NTV 650 and has been/is incredibly reliable, if they still made them, id have no problem.

Any suggestions/ideas from anyones experiences would be gratefully appreciated.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Impossible question for someone who isn't selling bikes to someone who wants a bike but doesn't know what he wants...

First you have to decide exactly how much you want to spend..that will give you a smaller target to aim for..

Now as you have said you would buy the same bike again if they still made them, you are not looking for a high speed bike because you don't go over 100mph on your bike.

You are probably looking for something for getting to and from work and holding the road well in the twisties..

is your bike a bit underpowered, do you want a more responsive bike maybe you need to up the engine size a bit, although you will probably want to keep the same number of cylinders..once you have decided the engine size that will cut your options down a bit more..

Shaft or chain..that will cut them even more..

When you have a short list google your choice and see if the forums list any nasty problems..

Now you have fewer bikes to confuse you it might be an idea to look at last years new models so that you get a bargain.

John.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Jedi Chat Master

What's the naked Suzuki 1400 called GSX1400?
Or how about the FJR1300
Either would be a step up from what you have and both are propper bikes

Other people will know more about modern bikes than me Dai
Old 12-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Impossible question for someone who isn't selling bikes to someone who wants a bike but doesn't know what he wants...

First you have to decide exactly how much you want to spend..that will give you a smaller target to aim for..

Now as you have said you would buy the same bike again if they still made them, you are not looking for a high speed bike because you don't go over 100mph on your bike.

You are probably looking for something for getting to and from work and holding the road well in the twisties..

is your bike a bit underpowered, do you want a more responsive bike maybe you need to up the engine size a bit, although you will probably want to keep the same number of cylinders..once you have decided the engine size that will cut your options down a bit more..

Shaft or chain..that will cut them even more..

When you have a short list google your choice and see if the forums list any nasty problems..

Now you have fewer bikes to confuse you it might be an idea to look at last years new models so that you get a bargain.

John.
Looking for something in a similar style to my NTV Shaft drive preferable/not essential,650- 1200cc,no more than 8.5 grand. NTV does about 115mph, so same or bit faster. Need to be heavy bike, not keen on all this light weight go faster stuff. Should have put more info in original post. Think problem is I've got so used to the same bike and they don't appear to make them like that now
Old 12-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskers View Post
What's the naked Suzuki 1400 called GSX1400?
Or how about the FJR1300
Either would be a step up from what you have and both are propper bikes

Other people will know more about modern bikes than me Dai
Like the style of GSX 1400, wish it came with shaft drive.thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Jedi Chat Master

FJR1300 shaft drive a mate has one it handles well goes well and stops well for a touring bike it will take some beating
Well worth a look Dai
Old 12-05-2013, 01:56 PM
Jedi Chat Master

If you don't mind buying used the older 900diversion may fit the bill the newer one seems a bit revy but still very capable

If you fancy staying with Honda the doville (spelling) seem ok not my type of thing but one may be suitable
Old 12-05-2013, 02:16 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I'd go with the Honda d***ville too. I reacon that is as close as you'll get as everything is computery, space age fuel injected these days thanks to fasion and emission controlls. To be honest for that reason I'd be tempted to just buy another Ntv in your shoes, you know you like it and it will make getting spares easyer as you can swap parts between bikes to keep reliability. Hondas just keep going and I love the build quality.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Or you could run the bike you already have for a few more years, believe me, bikes don't like standing unused and with tax at 75 and insurance, MOT and other small expenses it's not cheap to keep a second bike unless you use it..modern petrol turns to varnish if you leave it in a tank for too long..

Why not wait until you know exactly what you want, 8,500 will give you a lot of choices,

John.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:07 PM

Default advice please

Don't eat yellow snow.

why not spend the money on restoring your old bike and doing a few mods on improving its performance.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
I dont want a bike thats to flash, space age looking, with a fairing of any kind.
In that case, you'll be very, very restricted in your choice of bike. All bikes from the major manufacturers will be full of electronics as they need them to comply with emissions and other EU laws. So you've narrowed it down to either one of the Chinese bikes, an Enfield or something over ten to possibly even fifteen years old!

As you've had one bike for eighteen years, I'm guessing you don't do a lot of miles (if I had just one bike in that time, it would have over 250,000 miles on the clock) so, if I were you and I had 8,500 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy a Triumph Rocket III. Plenty of grunt and more than enough bike for 99.9% of riders. Or, if they're too big physically for you, a Harley sportster or Dyna. Good bikes that will hold their value. If you want a brand new bike, have you thought about one of the Bonneville range? Fairly small bikes (I'm six foot tall!) but they're reasonably light and can be customised quite easily if you want and they're becoming a modern classic plus they're holding their value. They're also reliable and a competent home mechanic can do most of the work on one.

Or, if you don't want to stand out from the crowd and are dull beyond belief, get something Jap
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Here you go...

http://www.edinburghtriumph.co.uk/triumph/index.php

6399 gets you a basic Bonneville, 7199 gets you the rest or you could go for the custom style. Personally I'd go for a Scrambler but that's just because I'm tall. Desert sled cool for 7199! Or even a Tiger 800 for 7499. All day comfort if you want to tour. Choices, choices...
Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Mortis may have hit the nail on the head harley dyna

Joe has a low mileage street bob for sale in the classifieds

I admit i have not thought much of them in the past but the lads on here talked me round and i have recently bought a street bob and i have to admit I'm pleased they did it's a heavy lump but feels light as soon as it's rolling it's better on fuel than my BMW R1100S
Well worth a look if you have a garage
Old 12-05-2013, 08:41 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
FJR1300 shaft drive a mate has one it handles well goes well and stops well for a touring bike it will take some beating
Well worth a look Dai
Cheers.I'll take a look
Old 12-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
If you don't mind buying used the older 900diversion may fit the bill the newer one seems a bit revy but still very capable

If you fancy staying with Honda the doville (spelling) seem ok not my type of thing but one may be suitable
Oh no not the deaville, that's what they turned the NTV into. It's horrible
Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Or you could run the bike you already have for a few more years, believe me, bikes don't like standing unused and with tax at 75 and insurance, MOT and other small expenses it's not cheap to keep a second bike unless you use it..modern petrol turns to varnish if you leave it in a tank for too long..

Why not wait until you know exactly what you want, 8,500 will give you a lot of choices,

John.
I can't part with the NTV I've done tons of stuff on it over the years, to attached. Though might give it a make over when I get another bike
Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill? View Post
Don't eat yellow snow.

why not spend the money on restoring your old bike and doing a few mods on improving its performance.
That's the plan, to get it all restored. Once I get other bike
Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

well none of us can get inside your head so if you must buy a new bike go down to the nearest bike showroom and start test riding, at least that way you can illiminate the ones you don't like..

I would bet that no sooner you buy something you think is the dogs, someone will bring out something you like twice as much the next year..

John.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
In that case, you'll be very, very restricted in your choice of bike. All bikes from the major manufacturers will be full of electronics as they need them to comply with emissions and other EU laws. So you've narrowed it down to either one of the Chinese bikes, an Enfield or something over ten to possibly even fifteen years old!

As you've had one bike for eighteen years, I'm guessing you don't do a lot of miles (if I had just one bike in that time, it would have over 250,000 miles on the clock) so, if I were you and I had 8,500 burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy a Triumph Rocket III. Plenty of grunt and more than enough bike for 99.9% of riders. Or, if they're too big physically for you, a Harley sportster or Dyna. Good bikes that will hold their value. If you want a brand new bike, have you thought about one of the Bonneville range? Fairly small bikes (I'm six foot tall!) but they're reasonably light and can be customised quite easily if you want and they're becoming a modern classic plus they're holding their value. They're also reliable and a competent home mechanic can do most of the work on one.

Or, if you don't want to stand out from the crowd and are dull beyond belief, get something Jap
Not tall enough for the rocket. Would the Harleys handle long term high mileage. I do bout 10'000 a year. I 'll let you do the math over 18yrs
Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Mortis may have hit the nail on the head harley dyna

Joe has a low mileage street bob for sale in the classifieds

I admit i have not thought much of them in the past but the lads on here talked me round and i have recently bought a street bob and i have to admit I'm pleased they did it's a heavy lump but feels light as soon as it's rolling it's better on fuel than my BMW R1100S
Well worth a look if you have a garage
Had look at joe's bike it's nice, but have heard mixed things about American reliability
Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Most of the jap cruisers are shaft drive and most are pretty good
John is your man to ask about doing long distance on them
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
well none of us can get inside your head so if you must buy a new bike go down to the nearest bike showroom and start test riding, at least that way you can illiminate the ones you don't like..

I would bet that no sooner you buy something you think is the dogs, someone will bring out something you like twice as much the next year..

John.
No I usually take a while to see what I like and then stick with. I was just looking for real experienced opinions and tips, not your sarcastic shit. Thanks for all the other advice
Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I always thought the same but the gents on here made me think again

I am more than happy with mine

Love twins always have done

There is no power band just open the throttle and go top gear is like an overdrive but that's good for saving fuel

No shaft but the belts the next best thing

The new one's are reliable nothing like the shovel heads of the 70's they even have a decent size fuel tank

I was answering the reliability post

Last edited by wiskers; 12-05-2013 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Effin people posting to quickly
Old 12-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Not tall enough for the rocket. Would the Harleys handle long term high mileage. I do bout 10'000 a year. I 'll let you do the math over 18yrs
Mmm, 180,000 miles is very good for a mid sized bike.

Someone once commented that if you want a bike to do high mileages on, look at what the Chopper club ride as they tend to do a lot of miles to their runs. In the main, they use Triumphs, Gixxers and Harleys. Apart from the HOG types, most Harley riders buy them to do long distances on so yes, they can handle high mileages and I've seen some with over 250,000 on the clock. The only problem with Harleys that I have heard of is that they shake stuff lose and they like a lot of attention. As I've never owned a Harley but many in my club do, I'm just going by what they say. I'm a Triumph man so I'd suggest going for a Bonnie especially at the prices they're going for.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:09 PM

My honda 500/4 has done about 180 000 as a minimum and a lot of that dragging a sidecar. for most of that it needed no more than servicing. The clocks disintergrated internally at 120,000 miles and it started jumping out of of 1st. Hondas are tough and durable cookies. I tried BMW airhead twins for a while, I didn't like the thirst or the bills they dont go wrong that often but they just add up the parts bills and the electrics on both mine were less reliable then my older Hondas, and less user friendly.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
I always thought the same but the gents on here made me think again

I am more than happy with mine

Love twins always have done

There is no power band just open the throttle and go top gear is like an overdrive but that's good for saving fuel

No shaft but the belts the next best thing

The new one's are reliable nothing like the shovel heads of the 70's they even have a decent size fuel tank

I was answering the reliability post
I must admit I like the idea of the belt over the chain. If the reliability is as good as you say it's worth considering. Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Mmm, 180,000 miles is very good for a mid sized bike.

Someone once commented that if you want a bike to do high mileages on, look at what the Chopper club ride as they tend to do a lot of miles to their runs. In the main, they use Triumphs, Gixxers and Harleys. Apart from the HOG types, most Harley riders buy them to do long distances on so yes, they can handle high mileages and I've seen some with over 250,000 on the clock. The only problem with Harleys that I have heard of is that they shake stuff lose and they like a lot of attention. As I've never owned a Harley but many in my club do, I'm just going by what they say. I'm a Triumph man so I'd suggest going for a Bonnie especially at the prices they're going for.
Suppose that makes sense 're the chopper club bikes. Don't mind the attention to maintainance. Cheers for the advice
Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
My honda 500/4 has done about 180 000 as a minimum and a lot of that dragging a sidecar. for most of that it needed no more than servicing. The clocks disintergrated internally at 120,000 miles and it started jumping out of of 1st. Hondas are tough and durable cookies. I tried BMW airhead twins for a while, I didn't like the thirst or the bills they dont go wrong that often but they just add up the parts bills and the electrics on both mine were less reliable then my older Hondas, and less user friendly.
Yeah the old Hondas take some beating with the reliability. Other than servicing and usual consumables it's just been exhaust, brake master cylinder, cut off on the slde stand and clutch that have been problems over the years.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
I must admit I like the idea of the belt over the chain. If the reliability is as good as you say it's worth considering. Thanks
There quite hands on which i like reliability wise I've not had mine long enough to tell but i haven't seen one on the side of the road for a long time also people on here have been saying good things about them
Another big plus point for me was that they don't lose value like a jap bike
A mate has been trying to sell a immaculate blackbird 1999 75,000 miles 1400 he gave up in the end all the dealers said that it was worthless
He's decided to keep it now
Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
There quite hands on which i like reliability wise I've not had mine long enough to tell but i haven't seen one on the side of the road for a long time also people on here have been saying good things about them
Another big plus point for me was that they don't lose value like a jap bike
A mate has been trying to sell a immaculate blackbird 1999 75,000 miles 1400 he gave up in the end all the dealers said that it was worthless
He's decided to keep it now
Think I'll take a look and see, not so much the value but the reliability sounds good. Suppose it's just the bad stuff you hear and never the ones that go round the clock. Think I'll have a look at triumph as well. Cheers the advice has been helpful.