100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-03-2013, 06:38 PM
mickthecrane mickthecrane is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: plymouth.
Posts: 383
Default good read.

having just read the brotherhoods by arthur veno, i can highly recommend it. an in depth look on biker m.c lifestyle in australia. a factual and sometimes brutal account covering up to 2009. well worth a look.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
having just read the brotherhoods by arthur veno, i can highly recommend it. an in depth look on biker m.c lifestyle in australia. a factual and sometimes brutal account covering up to 2009. well worth a look.
I've read it to its a good read.another good read is Outlaws by Adam Shand. bout the same scene.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13-03-2013, 06:55 PM
mickthecrane mickthecrane is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: plymouth.
Posts: 383
Default cheers.

cheers mate, will try that one too.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13-03-2013, 08:05 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
cheers mate, will try that one too.
No worries. Ive read a few books like this over the years, reading " The Gods of Mischief! at the moment. Bout the Vagos Mc being infiltrated. so far so good.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-03-2013, 08:05 AM
blanggy blanggy is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Default

The information was important as I am about to launch my own portal.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-03-2013, 03:32 PM
clichy clichy is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7
Default

Looks like a good read, I'll give it a go
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15-03-2013, 06:54 PM
mickthecrane mickthecrane is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: plymouth.
Posts: 383
Default author?

the gods of mischief?, have you the authors name.? by the way, have you read the libertines? the story is ok and it ticks along, but the diction and grammar is poor. a fictional book by max billington. give it a miss, unless your really bored. didnt do it for me anyway!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15-03-2013, 07:06 PM
wiskers wiskers is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Caerphilly
Posts: 696
Default

I have just finished the first of these two and started the second well worth reading
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...s=Oisin+hughes
__________________
Dyslexic Dai
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15-03-2013, 11:06 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
the gods of mischief?, have you the authors name.? by the way, have you read the libertines? the story is ok and it ticks along, but the diction and grammar is poor. a fictional book by max billington. give it a miss, unless your really bored. didnt do it for me anyway!
it's by George Rowe. not read the liberties yet,but it's one I will get round to. cheers
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 15-03-2013, 11:12 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
the gods of mischief?, have you the authors name.? by the way, have you read the libertines? the story is ok and it ticks along, but the diction and grammar is poor. a fictional book by max billington. give it a miss, unless your really bored. didnt do it for me anyway!
if your looking for good biker fiction try the "brethren trilogy" heavy duty people, heavy duty attitude and heavy trouble by Iain park
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16-03-2013, 05:53 AM
grumpy1 grumpy1 is offline
Chat Pimp
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: kinsale ireland
Posts: 174
Default biker fiction

dont forget tinker tales by Allan Lowson. think he has 4 tinker books out now. get em on amazon
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16-03-2013, 11:02 AM
mickturate's Avatar
mickturate mickturate is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerset
Posts: 941
Default sum buks....

fiction:
sons of thunder, ed: neil bradford

heavy duty series by iain parkes- i whiled away a few dark winters nights on these. reminded me much of the nel 70's series, chopper etc. if more up to date, kinda.

factoid:
some would say hells angels by yves lavigne is fiction too....

outlaw biker by richard deadeye hayes-los valientes m.c.

one percenter by dave nichols-of easyrider mag.

a wayward angel by george 'baby huey' wethern & vincent colnett-compare/contrast this with hunter s thompsons: hells angels (RIP Doc)
as both are written at about the same point in time-60's H.A.

the fat mexican by alex crane
&
outlaws by tony thompson, about the beginning/growth of the outlaws in the uk.

most books are about the H.A. these last two aren't: yves lavignes book covers the pagans m.c.

as yet i've found nothing on the satans slaves m.c.

happy reading to our literate friends n enjoy the pictures for the others....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16-03-2013, 01:54 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
dont forget tinker tales by Allan Lowson. think he has 4 tinker books out now. get em on amazon
yeah there is 4. New one just out, another good read
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 16-03-2013, 02:01 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickturate View Post
fiction:
sons of thunder, ed: neil bradford

heavy duty series by iain parkes- i whiled away a few dark winters nights on these. reminded me much of the nel 70's series, chopper etc. if more up to date, kinda.

factoid:
some would say hells angels by yves lavigne is fiction too....

outlaw biker by richard deadeye hayes-los valientes m.c.

one percenter by dave nichols-of easyrider mag.

a wayward angel by george 'baby huey' wethern & vincent colnett-compare/contrast this with hunter s thompsons: hells angels (RIP Doc)
as both are written at about the same point in time-60's H.A.

the fat mexican by alex crane
&
outlaws by tony thompson, about the beginning/growth of the outlaws in the uk.

most books are about the H.A. these last two aren't: yves lavignes book covers the pagans m.c.

as yet i've found nothing on the satans slaves m.c.

happy reading to our literate friends n enjoy the pictures for the others....
the lavigne books are a bit to biased and fabricated. not keen on Nichols book's find them to such going of in different directions. think there were chapters on Vikings and such in one of his books. haven't found anything on the slaves either. maybe no one rattled yet
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17-03-2013, 01:15 PM
mickthecrane mickthecrane is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: plymouth.
Posts: 383
Default educated?

well, i didnt realise that there were so many educated people on here when i posted the thread! a very avid reader myself, i will certainly look up the books mentioned. as yet i havent seen one on the slaves either. i also recently read, is that you angus by the late fergus, has its funny moments for an auto biography. keep reading guys and pass on your comments, cheers, mick.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17-03-2013, 10:38 PM
wiskers wiskers is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Caerphilly
Posts: 696
Default

Don't know about educated

I tend to like real books not fiction hence the two i mentioned by Oison Hughes he did the journey on his own

Another i have just got on kindle is, The long ride home by Nathan Millward,
Basicly he decided to ride from australia to london on a 105cc honda, not looked at it yet but there has got to be something worth reading doing that journey on that bike,

Jupiters travels by Ted simon was a all time classic he has another book out can't remember the name but this time he did the same journey 35 years later on a BMW from what i have heard it's a good book but not as good as the first

Fuck i nearly forgot our own John Hopkins and his very own, Wales on a motorbike
__________________
Dyslexic Dai

Last edited by wiskers; 17-03-2013 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Fucking hell i almost forgot
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18-03-2013, 06:43 PM
mickthecrane mickthecrane is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: plymouth.
Posts: 383
Default by jupiter!

jupiters travels, now your talking! makes my trips on a bike, breakdowns etc pale into insignificance, a great book. one percenter is next on my list i think. thanks guys , keep em coming.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 18-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Trikerbiker Trikerbiker is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskers View Post
Jupiters travels by Ted simon was a all time classic he has another book out can't remember the name but this time he did the same journey 35 years later on a BMW from what i have heard it's a good book but not as good as the first
Ted Simons second book's called Dreaming of Jupiter.
A couple of other good reads are:
1. Way to Go by Geoff Hill. Two travel tales. The first part is a ride fron Delhi to Belfast on an Enfield (Geoff is a Belfast Journalist) and the second part is Route 66 on Harley.
2. The Road to Gobblers Knob by Geoff Hill. His journey from Chile to Alaska on a Triumph Tiger. He has a very humourous and irreverent take on most things and these are entertaining reads which almost belies (or at least makes light of) the difficulty of the rides. and
3. The Last Hurrah by Des Molloy. Two old codgers in their 70's from New Zealand travelling from Beijing to Arnheim on an old Norton and a Panther. Dealing with age, Diabetes, breakdowns etc. A real inspiration.
There's also a DVD of the trip.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19-03-2013, 12:10 AM
wiskers wiskers is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Caerphilly
Posts: 696
Default

Thanks for those sugestions i have got them written down for my next reads

Cheers Dai
__________________
Dyslexic Dai
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.