100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 17-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Chatter Box

Default cush rubbers.

hi all, can anybody tell me the purpose of cush drive rubbers, i mean wot do they actually do? i have a 750 c5 zephyr with a wierd noise coming from the rear wheel / chain area. cud they be the source?. cheers, mick.
Old 17-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Chat Slut

They help absorb the shocks caused by gear changes and other rapid changes in wheel/gearbox/engine rotation. They do wear out due to compression and you can usually see the 'backlash' on the back wheel when they're bad. Noises are usually caused by bearings etc. Depends what sort of noise. I mean Hawkwind made some weird noises.........
Old 17-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Chatter Box

Default hawkwind.

yeh , hawkwind did make some noise, some of it good, some not so good...
cheers for the info, no play in the rear wheel or bearings etc. its all pointing to the chain. its quite tight in one spot and the rest of it is very loose. have adjusted it on the tight spot if you like and noticed it is slack all the rest over. beginning to think it is the chain running over the rubber bracket that fits on top of the swingarm .cheers.
Old 17-01-2013, 09:26 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

You've got a dead or a couple of dead links and this needs sorting asap. Give them a good soaking with oil and try and free them up or replace the chain otherwise it may very well end in tears and mangled metal.
Old 17-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Chatter Box

Easy check for worn cush drive rubbers is to park the bike in neutral grab the sprocket & try & move it back & forward (same rotation as the wheel) more than a few mm it needs sorting & can be an mot failure
Any movement the other way (in & out/left right towards/away from the wheel) means a shot cush drive bearing which you wont always see/feel by grabbing the wheel

+1 on the chain needing replacing if theres stiff links but i'd always advise changing the sprockets as well as a new chain wont sit well on worn ones & you'll end up chainging the lot again far quicker than you want to, most jap stuff you are only looking at 25 or so for the sprockets anyway
Old 18-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Chatter Box

Default cheers.

yeh i think a new chain is the answer at first, no play in the rear wheel/sprocket etc. chain and sprockets i would always do and i cant put my finger on any source for the noise but that. thanks for input lads.