100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 08:19 PM
Chat Virgin

Exclamation 19th Jan New trike laws

Hoping to buy a trike in the very near future & don't have a bike licence! I have been told that the new laws will not affect me as i'm an old git (over 50!) & the Grandfather Rights come into effect! Is this right?
Old 11-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Chatter Box

have you got b1 on your licence
Old 11-01-2013, 08:24 PM
Chat Slapper

Full car or bike and your laughing or at least that is the way I take it.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Chat Virgin

Red face new Laws

I have a full car licence, used to have HGV1, but let that go when it started to cost so much after 40! Now able to pull (& do) 7.5tonne trailers etc, ride agric' quad & am putting a tuktuk onto road shortly for a laugh! Don't have B1, but have B & BE etc.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Need B1 mate.....
Old 11-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Chat Virgin

Hi Warlok. if you have a full car licence issued before 19th Jan 2013, then you can ride a trike. after the 19th if you dont already have a car licence, you will need to sit a bike test to ride a trike. if you were disabled, then you can still sit a trike test.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:30 AM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlok View Post
I have a full car licence, used to have HGV1, but let that go when it started to cost so much after 40! Now able to pull (& do) 7.5tonne trailers etc, ride agric' quad & am putting a tuktuk onto road shortly for a laugh! Don't have B1, but have B & BE etc.
Your full B includes B1 as a subcategory so you are fine. I had to take my B1 as my full B was restricted to automatic and I needed to drive a manual trike. I passed my B1 test this Thursday, just slipping under the wire
Old 12-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

NABD Chairman Rick Hulse posted this informative piece on Facebook when the new regs where announced last year.

"As of January 19th 2013 the new ‘staged’ licensing system comes into affect.
(I will do a more involved report on how it affects motorcycle tests later).

How will it affect trikes?

As of January 19th 2013 Trikes will become part of the Motorcycle licence category. (Currently they come within the Car Category).

For people with existing full car licenses prior to January 19th 2013, nothing changes. (New licensing rules cannot be backdated).

After January 19th 2013 only people with disabilities will be permitted to take a test on a trike.
(This dispensation is greatly due to consultations between the NABD and the Driving Standards Agency (DSA) including the submission of a very detailed report by the NABD Chairman relating to the use of trikes and sidecar outfits by disabled people).

For disabled people wishing to take a test on a trike after January 19th 3013 they will have to take a CBT (slightly amended to suit trikes). They will also have to do the motorcycle theory test and the practical tests (Mod 1 test is also slightly adapted to suit trikes; i.e. less cones and no avoidance manoeuvre etc.)

A disabled person taking a test on a trike will qualify for a licence restricted to trikes. It will not qualify them to ride solo motorcycles or drive cars.

Able-bodied people who don’t hold a full car licence prior to January 19th 2013 will have to pass a motorcycle test, on a motorcycle, before they can ride a trike. (Those who already hold a motorcycle licence will by default be able to ride trikes).

Able-bodied people who are currently riding trikes on L-Plates must successfully pass a test before January 19th 2013.
After that date they can only ride a trike if they successfully pass a motorcycle test on a motorcycle first.

As far as I and the DSA are aware there is no change to the dispensation that allows disabled people to use a motorcycle and sidecar combination to take a motorcycle test, though this would also result in a licence restricted to motorcycles fitted with sidecars."

Rick Rick Hulse
NABD Chairman

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 12-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Chatter Box

Good info Grav.

Thanks

Alfie
Old 13-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Thank Rick, I'm just sharing the info.

You could also sympathise with my son who turns 17 and is getting his provisional bike licence on January 17th. When he found out about the shit he faces with this new staged licencing he went ape shit! He's been riding off road for a few years and really wants to ride bikes rather than drive a car, i know how he feels too as I got my provisional a few months after they changed the law in 83 that stopped us riding a 250 on L plates.

Old 14-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Chatter Box

I only have a motorcycle license, I currently can't ride trikes as I have no B class entitlement. Does the new law mean I will be able to ride a trike on my old bike license?
Old 14-01-2013, 09:42 AM
Chat Virgin

Talking New TRike Laws

Thank you kindly for all your replies & info'. My stepson Shaun is going apeshit thinking that I will be riding a large trike & he will following in the tuktuk - lol!
Old 14-01-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysworstcat View Post
I only have a motorcycle license, I currently can't ride trikes as I have no B class entitlement. Does the new law mean I will be able to ride a trike on my old bike license?
Depends on when you passed your test. I have B1 on my bike licence for trikes/quads under 550kg and passed my bike test in 89. I think they changed everything round in 2000 but i'm not certain about the date as the bastards have fecked about with bikes and trikes so many times over the last 30 years it's not funny anymore....