100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default Cat B writeoffs

Got the engineers report from the insurers and it says its a Cat B write off.

What does this mean?

And how can I address this?

thanks
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 02-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Banned

It's fucked bud ......

The ABI Categories of 'Write-Off'

Category A: Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

Category B: The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.

Category D: Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.

Category F: Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:19 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

cat B will probably mean the frames bent (wouldn't be able to put the frame back on road), won't tell you what shape the rest of it is in, I bought a cat b bike off ebay a couple of years ago, the seller (salvage yard) just cut a section with the frame number out of the headstock and I loaded up the rest - forks were bent but not creased and I streightened them - tyres like new so it worked out that the 90 salvage value was a bit low and I got a bargin cheap lot of spares - possibly worth asking about buy back salvage if you intend to replace like for like or already have a good stockpile of spares.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

I've got a suspicion that the frame is fine, but on the off chance they've listed it as cat B... So I've now queried the cat B status and the fact that some damage listed wasn't there before the report... We have photos of the bike straight after the accident and its different to those supplied in the report...
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 02-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

What Shaggy said is right, but:

In the real world the insurance assesors are a lazy bunch and there is a lot of fiddlin' goin' on.

From some damage reports it's obvious the assesor hasn't seen the vehicle and may have just phoned the garage where the vehicle is stored.

The repairers have a vested interest in upping claims:They whack in a huge estimate to the insurance company, if the quote is accepted they are quids in. If it's rejected the insurance company want to settle quickly as storage costs are expensive, so there is a good chance the repairer can buy the vehicle mend it and sell it on.

Either that or I'm getting paranoid.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:57 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

My Zephyr was a cat A and when I eventually saw it I didn't argue, it was well and truly fucked.

The thing to be aware of with any front end crash damage is not the stuff you can see, but the stuff that isn't immediately obvious. The frame could be bent without being "visibly" bent. The assessor might just be doing you a favour, see what they offer for the bike before you decide whether or not to buy it back.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I once saw a GSXR1100 that had been crashed at high speed into a rangerover (it was in fast lane caning it and Range rover pulled out into it's path from lane 2) being delivered to a bike shop i was at. It was on a recovery pickup and the mechanic pointed out that although the frame looked okay if you looked at the front of the motor you could see where the frame downsections had come back squashed the fins on the motor and then sprung back to where they started - would you ever trust that frame again for instance?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothtec View Post
I've got a suspicion that the frame is fine, but on the off chance they've listed it as cat B... So I've now queried the cat B status and the fact that some damage listed wasn't there before the report... We have photos of the bike straight after the accident and its different to those supplied in the report...

Interesting point that, there were pictures taken of my bike at the accident scene, then again at the impound and then again, after Hastings Direct stole it and took it to a breakers yard.

It was clear to see at the accident and a few others who know about this stuff, had commented, that it was mainly cosmetic damage and easily repairable.

The picture of it at the breakers yard however, was completely different. It looked as though it was kicked on it's side, dragged onto the flatbed, carted across the country lying on it's side and then pushed off the side of the flatbed it was smashed to fuck and my hard luggage had been stolen.

So yes once once the insurance cunts get their hands on it, they treat it like total scrap even if it is a slight scratch.

Sue the living fuck out of them, I was advised, by my solicitor, to settle with Hastings Direct, I wish to god I had taken them to court and humiliated the dirty thieving bastards.