100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Chat Virgin

Default First Big Bike

Hello
So im after abit of advise, i got my Mod 2 Test on thursday and if all goes to plan i should be looking at getting my first proper bike soon. well thats not strictly true, i Do have a Honda XBR500 at the moment that intended to make a cafe racer but never really got round to it so im flogging it.

Anyway im after a cruiser proberly a 500/600, would prefer something abit bigger but dont think im gonna find much in my price range looking at about 1500-1800 at the most, not bothered about age.
what would you suggest?
Shadow?
dragstar?
virago?

anything else?

Cheers
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Hello
Anyway im after a cruiser proberly a 500/600, would prefer something abit bigger but dont think im gonna find much in my price range looking at about 1500-1800 at the most, not bothered about age.
what would you suggest?
Shadow?
dragstar?
virago?

anything else?

Cheers

Dragstar.... dragstar.... dragstar.... but not after 06..... I love mine and after some minor parts removal runs very well and tops a ton (see my vids on youtube)... Which is not bad when it used to struggle to get to 85...

Has got me round the country, 2 up, with trailer and loads of luggage
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

A guy I osrt of know has just bought a Honda Shadow 750. Didn't pay a lot for it either. He loves the bike and I have to say it is a decent looking bike and he appears to be able to make it go well. Physically a small bike, so no good if you are my size. Heard a few good things about them.

For the sort of money you are talking about you should be able to find something quite tidy.

Good luck with your test.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 14-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Chat Virgin

Well, i passed

so it seems it between the shadow or dragstar, is either any bigger than the other? im a bit of a lump so i want the biggest of the two,

cheers
Old 14-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Chat Slapper

Are you not restricted to 33hp for the first two years when you go the mod 2 way
Old 15-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Chat Virgin

Nah, if your over 21 you can do DAS, same test as the A2 but on a 500cc and you can ride any bike.
Old 15-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

If i was you i would not set your mind on a particular bike - read up on the different 535-750cc cruisers and have the money ready so when you spot something good and cheap you can move fast - you will get a better deal than setting your heart on bike x and hunting high and low for one.

I was saving to get a triumph tiger but stumbled upon an XJR1300 for 1k so went for that. My previous bike gpz900r which i had for 15 years and about 100k miles I stumbled upon for 1200 whilst saving for a TDM.
I have never set out to get a particular bike just looked around when i needed one and gone with what looked like a good deal - if you don't get on with it then you can always flog it and if it was a good deal you might even make a bit helping you towards a better bike. Also worth asking around neighbours/work mates etc, never know who might have what sat in the back of a shed bought as a Sunday cruiser and not touched for 5 years