100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Showroom

Notices

Old 23-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Chat Pimp

Default xs250 rebuild

ok i have this xs250,

i was given it for nothing about 8 years ago, it had been sat for about two years and as my 125 had been stolen and i needed a bike my mate gave it me and said get it running.
but before i got round to it i was paid out by the insurance and passed my test and got my cb500.
after about two more years i did have a go at getting it running.
one of the spark plugs was seized solid in the head. it then snapped and is now in the head with no way of getting it out without a full strip down.
however i changed the other one and got it running but never saw it through to the end, ie got it mot'd and used it.
now its been sat in the garage for the last five years and has just been in the way.
i have decided that this will be the first bike engine that i strip and rebuild.
reason being is it aint cost me anything so far and as it is it is worth sod all. and at worst if i ruin it then it aint any worse than it already is. and if all else fails i still have the frame ect ect to sell off.
Old 23-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Chat Pimp

so first things first, i will get it out of its corner and pump the tyres up and give it a rinse off.
then i am going to get the engine out and strip it back enough to check if its seized and to get at the plug.....

off to the garage....
Old 26-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Chat Slapper

Good Luck, Mate......I have an old Xs250 too...
Old 28-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Chat Pimp

well just spent the afternoon in the garage.
got the engine out and the head off, eventually.
the offside piston is rusted into the head.
looks like the offending plug has been left out at some point and its got wet and the barrel and piston have rusted together.
well i got some movement in it but i think thats just the crank rotating a bit. but is currently soaking in a hope to free up enough to get it of to replace it..pics tomoz as am off now to get beered up with the lads.

Last edited by beef; 29-04-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 29-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Chat Pimp

ok so as said some pics of the strip down so far.

tank, carbs ect all off and then

its out...

the engine sat ready for me to open it up.

the offending plug, its the blob of rust in the middle..

head off, was suprisingly easy to get to this stage.

Old 29-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Chat Pimp

so then i had to get the cam chain off and this is were it all slowed down and became a bit of a nightmare.
because the engine is seized i couldnt get to the second nut to get the chain off, but eventually i did and then i was greeted with this

gave it a bit of a going over with the dremel and got to this.

might not look like much but it ment that i could do this

thats a little bit of a gap between the barrel and lower engine. not much but twenty minutes earlier i couldnt even do that.

its now all sat in the garage soaking and i am gonna leave it till tomorrow before i go back to it.

Last edited by beef; 29-04-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 29-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Chat Slapper

Nice going Beef...The top end looks nice and clean tho'.
Old 30-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Chat Pimp

ok so been out in garage again today.
and managed to get the barrels off

the pistons are shot and the barrel is marked inside as well.

not the best pic but there is some of the damage visable at the top of the pic.

and as you can see from the pic above and below there is signs of surface rust in the bottom end on the crank shaft.

so looks like bottom end may need stripping as well now.
didnt want to do this as after reading the haynes it needs a special puller to get the alterator out, and i aint got one or the cash to but one for just one use.

i have turned the engine over by hand now with a spanner on the nut as told to in the haynes manual. it all moves and turns the sprocket as well, so all is free in the bottom end and gear box.
Old 30-04-2012, 04:56 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I may have a better crank if it's survived, also pistons, barrells and rest of top end. I already have some other xs bits to dig out for another member so I'll give you a shout when they come to the surface. They gotta go when I clear the shed as I've not got an xs or any plans to own one and could do with some space to find bits for any bikes I do need.
Old 30-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
I may have a better crank if it's survived, also pistons, barrells and rest of top end. I already have some other xs bits to dig out for another member so I'll give you a shout when they come to the surface. They gotta go when I clear the shed as I've not got an xs or any plans to own one and could do with some space to find bits for any bikes I do need.
that would be great, let me know and we can sort a deal
Old 30-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen View Post
How about dropping an xs400 lump in instead?
thought about that but they got for about 350+
have seen 250 engines for 40+
the idea of this is ment to be a spend as little as possible but learn as much as possible experience. and the ultimate end goal is to build a chopper using a cb 750 engine i have in the garage.
Old 30-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Jedi Chat Master

You must have read my post just as I deleted it. You're right, the 400 lumps go for too much money. Good luck with it anyway.
Old 30-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Chat Pimp

have seen some on ebay and gonna keep an eye on them. might be having a day trip to go get them though there all miles away
Old 30-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Right, quick rummage of the easyest bits of shed, there are 9X 250 pistons, and a set of barrells (light surface rust that came off with a wipe where I had a go at it) plus head (will have to ask my mate, it may be xs400 head, looks good nick) I'm 90% sure there is at least the guts of 2 400cc engines and one good 400 top end which he recons should drop onto a 250 bottom end - he should know as he did it for himself at one stage! Also noticed in passing 2 large parts trays of gearbox parts (4 engines were dismantled, and the scrap parts and all the cases went certesy of the owner getting divorced) the remaing stuff should be useable.) Also a 18 inch square by 4 deep tray of carb parts - Basically I have enough xs250 and 400 parts to fill a small estate car, including, somewhere a spoked front wheel and 15 inch alloy rear.
I'm in mid Wales and if you ever do the Builth Wells shows I'm 30 miles of excellet riding from that showground. Other option other than collection would be for me to load it all onto a pallett, or pack up chosen bits for a courier, but as I'm not a very Yamaha orientated person I'm so far having problems sorting the 400 and 250 bits from each other (really struggling for time too) and I would ideally like to clear the lot as a job lot. Value wise on ebay that might get a few hundred but I'd take offers that are higher than scrap metal value (has to be more because scrap can be chucked out in the rain, useable parts need handling carefully and keeping dry. Alternatively will swap / px for dr125 or kl250 parts or a trail bike that's somewhere near working.
Old 30-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Oh yeah, and 4 cranks, 2 better and 2 looking bit rusty........
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 PM
Chat Pimp

not done any thing to this since the last post, mainly because i been working 75 hour weeks..

but am off tomorrow so will be back in garage with the plan to strip and sort front and back brakes, and clean every thing i can.

dont think there is any thing on it that will need repainting, but there is some work to be done to the front guard to make it look good again.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Chat Pimp

ok so just in from garage and have achieved what i set out to.

i have stripped rear brake down and cleaned it, put it back together and it works.
rear shoes look fairly new and all was pretty clean and rust and grime free. most of the bolts were copperslipped and were easy to get off.

i also stripped the front brake, and found this.

that is a very rusty brake piston.

have tried freeing it up but its not budging. currently soaking in the hope of getting it to shift tomorrow.

front master cylinder was full of rusty fluid. the screws that hold the lid on have rusted and contaminated the fluid. this is alos currently soaking in the hope of cleaning it out.

front muddy, with the old before and after cleaning shot.

and here it is outside for first time in about 6 years. and it rolled there aswell.

and as i was on a roll i had a look at the indicators.
the front and back ones were both wonky and huge, so i swapped the rear ones with these, i also moved them from their orginal mounting point

this ment i had to disassemble the rear light carrier and drill a couple of holes, install the indicators and put it all back together, but i think it looks good.

i then had a look at the front ones.
they mount on the headlight brackets and sit in a daft rubber/metal housing and are frankly goosed.

both the brackets could do with replacing, so to make it possible to mount the indicators i am going to replace them.

Last edited by beef; 11-06-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 13-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Chat Pimp

back again.
the front master cylinder is now stripped and i need to replace all the internals.
i have also stripped the nearside carb, took all the bits out ready to replace them as they are all varnished up. nrp are about 15 mins from my house so will go see them in a couple of days and sort the replacement bits i need.

now the seat unit is in need of repair or replacing. the seat has a rip in it, and the bracket that mounts it to the hinges has snapped. but am thinking of replacing it with some thing like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLAT-TRACK...item3cc6fb3457

my replacement rear brake pivot and pedal arrived today, and they aint right. but i can and will make them work

the frame also needs repainting. so i think it will now be a case of strip it completely and powder coat it and the rebuild with new hoses, rubbers, bushes ect.

the list of bits i NEED as of today is:

front master cylinder repair kit.
front brake caliper repair kit.
chain and sprockets.
carb refurb kit, all jets and rubbers.
new screws and bolts, nuts as all the ones i have come across so far are strating to wear and/ or round off
Old 13-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Chat Pimp

ok so have had a few more hours in the garage today. and have stripped the bike down as much as i want to for now.

removed the rear mud guard

then i removed the wiring loom, kept all connected up as much as possible, but there are a few corroded connections on it so may need to have it re-wired at the end.

then i cut off and ground back the remainder of the seat hinges.

the gave it a quick blast with some spare paint to help prevent rust...

i know this aint ground breaking stuff for most on here but to me its a lot of new bits to me.
so just going slow and steady and trying to keep as much of the orginal to re-use or re-make as i can.

the plan is to get the frame shot blasted and powder coated. there are a lot of patches of surface rust and scratches.
i will be chopping the rear down to suit the new seat unit i am going to get..
will be ditching the indicators and having a small led stop/tail light so will need a plate mounting to give me something to mount to.
i am also thinking of swapping the front forks for some usd's of a crosser or similar as the legs on the current ones are pitted, its out of the travel area but there is some small bubbling in the travel and i think it will develope into fork seal damaging territtory.
Old 30-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Chat Pimp

well a box of bits arrived at my dads on friday, collected it today and will be checking out its contents tonight,

heres the box

and its contents

thats, barrels. pistons. head. cover and oil filter

and afetr a quick wire brush to remove the crud, i find nice smooth undamaged barels and pistons

and a head in need of a good polish.

all the bits are mechanically sound but in need of a good clean and polish prior to rebuild.

so i have the lower cases, barrels, head and cases to blast and clean.
but do i paint the lower cases, barrels and head, and then polish the cases or do i blast them and leave them bare, if so how do i protect them from the elements??

Last edited by beef; 30-07-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 31-07-2012, 08:33 PM
Chat Pimp

well i have had a blast at brads today,
literally. all afternoon with the sand blasting cabinet
i did the top half of the lower cases, the engine, breather cover, the barrels, and the con rod.
am happy with all the bits, espcially the con rod as it was rusty and full of crap and has come up so clean and well and no signs of damage.
couple of comparison pics.

will take some of all the engine parts together when they are all done.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Hey Beef, I like what you are doing with this bike. We all had to start somewhere mate and it looks like you are really having a good go at a re-build.

Can I offer some advice/suggestions? Sand blasting inits various forms is brilliant for getting rid of crud and cleaning up bike parts. The drawback is that you need to be very careful NOT to blast anything that should NOT be blasted. Places like the inside of the cylinder head. So you would be well advised to ensure that you mask off as much as possible BEFORE blasting and then ensuring there is no grit left inside any places where there should be NO GRIT.

Blasting the outside of the head, barrels and crank cases is a brilliant way to prepare for paint, powdercoat or lacquer. However it leaves and absolutely shit surface of you want to re-polish something like the outer casings. The outer casings can be brought back up to look like chrome with a decent polishing machine. Dirty filthy job but very satisfying when completed.

If you are going to lacquer or paint the outer casings, you might like to consider using stainless steel allen screws. The stainless looks great against any freshly painted or coated casing.

If you decide to leave the head and barrels naked after blasting them, there is not much you can do to protect them from the elements. Bear in mind that aluminium is porous. You will very quickly get a white dusty cover on the unprotected parts. This is oxidation and can be a pain in the arse to get rid of. Soon as you blast the crud off, the decaying process begins.

Worth thinking about how you want the parts finished before you blast them, as believe it or not, the crud will offer some protection until you are ready to prepare and finish them.

Good luck with your project.

Chopper

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Chat Pimp

chopper,
i appreciate your post and the time you took to post it.

i have decided to powder coat everything, black for everything except the cases and fork lowers which will be silver. i will be rebuilding with stainless allen screws/bolts wherever i can, as i had a nightmare getting some of them out as someone else has had a go in the past and chewed some of the screws up.

i have had to blast the external and internal faces because of the external crud and because of the rust and crud internally.
all parts will be put through the parts washer and thourghly cleaned prior to reassembly.

a quick recap
i have had to completely strip the engine for several reasons, firstly the damage to the head/ spark plug issue. this lead to a rusted piston and barrel and then to a level of crap and crud and rust in on the crank and in the lower cases.
so i then clean the internals out because of the others problems and finally to get to the gear box to invetigate why it would not change gear. and the answer was a knackered bearing on the main shaft.
it would not rotate freely and stuck at one point. i completely stripped the shaft down and cleaned it all up and as i took the bearing off and ran my finger around the inside a couple of the rollers feel like they are grinding and sticking.

so for the rebuild i now need...

a full set of gaskets
a full set of allen screws/bolts.
replace all the screw internally with new ones.
oil.
various bearings
think thats it...

right off to build an engine jig to hold it while it gets rebuilt...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Chat Pimp

have finally stripped the engine down to empty cases.
and i have also blasted the lower half of the lower case.
i also built a little jig to hold the engine while i rebuild it and until the frame is ready.

might not look much but i made it from scratch with no drawings and did the few welds myself, something else i aint never done before.
but it will hold it while i work on it and it will do what i want it too.
Old 16-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Chat Pimp

have had a spare couple of hours today.

so i did some tidying up of the garage and decided to do a dry build up of the engine to see if there would be any major issues with the replacement parts and my original parts. plus it meant that the bits where together and not spread across the garage.

so it all went together with out to many hiccups...

still need to blast the top end.
1 the bolts on the underside need to be placed in the holes prior to the lower cases going into the jig. because there is not enough clearance between the jig rail and the engine case to push it in after engine is in the jig.

2 the top nuts need to be taken off before putting any of the engine together as when i was unscrewing them i dropped one into the lower engine.... good job its only a dry build up ops: :lol:

3 there is a load of allen bolts from the outter casings missing, these were not there when i got it so need to replace them with correct ones.

also decided on the colours for the powder coating..

the engines outter cases will be powder coated silver,
everthing else will be gloss black,
as for the tank i am undecided
am going for minimal polished areas as this will be my commuter bike,