100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default Dayglo latest ...

The French Gov has finally confirmed how it will implement new regulations for bikers regarding reflective clothing and number plates.

As of 1st Jan 2013 it will be an offence, punishable through a fine and the loss of points, (in France you lose them, don't gain them) not to wear at least 150cm2 of relective clothing between the waist and the shoulders and not to be using an enlarged number plate.

You may remember that this was first mooted as an accident reduction issue, but most accidents involve 125cc bikes and below, and these are exempt from the new rules.

Riders in France must already use their headlights all the time and carry reflective stickers on their helmets.

You may also remember that the French Government then said the regulations were to ensure other motorists could see if riders were lying in the middle of the road at night...

FFMC's Frederic Jeorge said "It will be considered almost as bad as driving without a helmet, even if you are wearing full leather armour, on a bike with the headlights on and knowing that our helmets already have 4 mandatory reflective stickers... Also, it will NOT include the mopeds and 125cc, where's the logic?"

Logic? I'm not sure that's generally considered when creating legislation for motorcyclists.

--
Kind regards

Paddy Tyson
Campaigns Co-ordinator
MAG (UK) - Motorcycle Action Group
Old 06-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

I think the logic comes in when they collect the fines, add the points, remove a few bikers from the roads and slow us down by making it look like every rider might be a traffic cop..

it stinks though, and I can see a lot of the enjoyment of biking being taken away from us over the next few years..

Now here's a thought..If it is in the interest of safety that bikers should wear all this gear..Then why is it not in the open top sports car drivers safety interests to wear a crash helmet and reflective clothing..

John.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Chat Slapper

That settles it then France is off the visit list and crossings will be via Holland in future only.

Cunts
Old 06-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Chatter Box

Default right!

right that does it for me too! no more money to the frogs every year for me, sod em. helmet stickers?, com on , wot is this , kiddies play park. i can honestly say if it arrives in the u.k. the bike industry dealers will be closing in their hundreds.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
right that does it for me too! no more money to the frogs every year for me, sod em. helmet stickers?, com on , wot is this , kiddies play park. i can honestly say if it arrives in the u.k. the bike industry dealers will be closing in their hundreds.
Errrr and the reasoning behind that would be???
Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Chat Slapper

Actualy Mr MAG I would request you reveal your sources cause I think you are scaremongering of the highest order here

A bit of research on FFMC, other sites and general news reports from France reveals that the actual wording of the change to their Highway code is

Quote:
Requirement for users of two-wheeled motor vehicles of a cylinder capacity exceeding 125 cc, wearing clothing with a reflective device. His absence will be punished by a fine of 3rd class (package of 68 and lost two points allowed.)
Not a vest, not an armband (as some report) but the clothing must have a reflective device, so the latest bike gear with the reflective piping would suffice. Now that is still an issue for me as my leather jacket (yes with it fecking conches and tassels) is the best part of thirty years old, then again the conches are shiny so probably reflective.

The number plate rule is a general rule for all vehicles that they must comply to the stated sizes (same law as we have here, which many of us choose to ignore).

So Mr MAG sources please
Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

I took it to mean a 6" x 6" patch or a belt with a 3" x 12" strip which I could probably live with if they didn't insist that it cost 500 and be BS marked to justify the cost.

I have no idea what they would consider an enlarged number plate, unless it is a car number plate and why on earth would they enforce that as to do so will only cut down on the reflective area shown at the rear.

John.

Last edited by John Hopkins; 12-01-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

You could always wear the reflective belt and put your waistcoat over the top of it. Simples
Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

I read in a trade magazine, that the EU bless 'em are proposing that all the occupants of a vehicle have available a reflective jacket. It is NOT expected that it will have to be worn at all times!

When we've all stopped laughing, is this a chance to get Joe Public on our side?
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Banned

Hi Viz for each occupant in a car has been law in France since 1st July 2008 and enforceable since 1st Oct 2008, In case of breakdown all occupants must put on Hi Viz and stand outside the vehicle until recovery or assistance is effected. All they are doing is making it a rule for everyone on the road. Not that I agree with it but that's how they see it.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 07-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:06 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to excalibur

Quote:
right that does it for me too! no more money to the frogs
same here, except I have been doing it for years, ever since the bastards starting burning our sheep and more recently smashing our war graves.

I check labels when shopping to make sure I dont buy anything french
Old 07-01-2012, 08:31 PM
Need to Get out More!

Default france

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur View Post
same here, except I have been doing it for years, ever since the bastards starting burning our sheep and more recently smashing our war graves.

I check labels when shopping to make sure I dont buy anything french
i dont buy french crap back stabbing bstds
fuck the french & the eu
Old 08-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Chat Slut

what can you expect from people that eat snails and frogs legs!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Chatter Box

Default hey strider!

hey strider, my reason for saying dealers would close is that i keep hearing at work the amount of riders going to give up riding if they have to wear silly stickers on helmets and hi vis. i am not totally against some sort of ref strip /armband or even the compulsory wearing of this at night, i dont want to mind.
p.s. , i work with nearly 5 thousand other employees at devonport dockyard which houses numerous bike clubs, just looking at the bike parks is a rally itself! serious riders most of them, but a lot would pack it in im sure. good thread though nik, keep us posted please.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
p.s. , i work with nearly 5 thousand other employees at devonport dockyard
We still have a dockyard in Britain...Which foreign country owns it?

John.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Chatter Box

Default info.

i believe this is british/american. their paying im working! so many shareholders down here involved it cud be anybodys! p.s, its hard to belive but it is the largest nuclear facility in europe, as the saying goes, if you see me running , please try to keep up............
Old 09-01-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
Hi Viz for each occupant in a car has been law in France since 1st July 2008 and enforceable since 1st Oct 2008, In case of breakdown all occupants must put on Hi Viz and stand outside the vehicle until recovery or assistance is effected. All they are doing is making it a rule for everyone on the road. Not that I agree with it but that's how they see it.
Apparently a current ruse (heard from a french mate) is for the traffic cops to pull you over on some pretext then ask you to show your hi-vis. If you get out of the car to get it from the boot they ticket you for exiting the vehicle not wearing your hi-vis. You need to keep at least 1 in the main body of the car for the person getting out to don before getting out.

(I think this is spacifically on big roads like motorways/dual carriageways rather than small ones where you can obviously get out without a hi vis)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedd View Post
and collaborate with nazis , and iffy arabs
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
hey strider, my reason for saying dealers would close is that i keep hearing at work the amount of riders going to give up riding if they have to wear silly stickers on helmets and hi vis. i am not totally against some sort of ref strip /armband or even the compulsory wearing of this at night, i dont want to mind.
p.s. , i work with nearly 5 thousand other employees at devonport dockyard which houses numerous bike clubs, just looking at the bike parks is a rally itself! serious riders most of them, but a lot would pack it in im sure. good thread though nik, keep us posted please.
Look around, I see more and more new "motorcyclists" wearing hi vis in some form. They have already been influenced by the constant "wear hi vis" attitude that is being promoted.

My black textile jacket has got thin reflective strips on it already, and other than buying leathers, most textiles have some sort of reflective material in them already.

As for packing in riding because "I wont wear hi vis" ....... do you really want to cut off your nose to spite your face if it becomes mandatory? I wouldn't, I would look to wear the minimum and would be very very pissed off, because my choice has been taken away.

As for shops closing, nah, they have to sell hi vis in various forms and will make money with that.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 AM

well i think this petition actually says it right unlike the earlier waffling one, get the eu rules to work for us not against us

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26931

Against EU Member States Introducing Mandatory High Visibility Clothing For Motorcyclists

Responsible department: Department for Transport

We the undersigned urge the British Government to put pressure on the European Commission to discipline any member state that imposes clothing standards on motorcycle riders. We view any such requirement as an expression of prejudice against motorcyclists and a barrier to the free movement of people within the EU. With regard to the current proposals on mandatory high visibility clothing being considered by some member states, we consider this to be ill advised and nave. We challenge the speculation that high visibility clothing will reduce accidents involving motorcyclists. We question the right of motorists to hold driving licenses if they are incapable of seeing a rider and motorcycle unless clad in high visibility clothing. We challenge the logic that imposes unreasonable requirements on the victims of accidents in order to accommodate the failings of those who cause them
Old 10-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Apparently a current ruse (heard from a french mate) is for the traffic cops to pull you over on some pretext then ask you to show your hi-vis. If you get out of the car to get it from the boot they ticket you for exiting the vehicle not wearing your hi-vis. You need to keep at least 1 in the main body of the car for the person getting out to don before getting out.

(I think this is spacifically on big roads like motorways/dual carriageways rather than small ones where you can obviously get out without a hi vis)
So..let me see if I understand this..They have worded the law so that you have to be wearing the Hi Vis before you exit the vehicle..

So..

You have broken down on a motorway, and there is heavy fast traffic..

Instead of grabbing the Hi Vis and running for the safety of the hard shoulder or embankment, you have to sit in your little car and struggle to fit the Hi Vis before opening the car to get safely out, this includes elderly, infirm, and youngsters..

If so..This is another law that has been used simply to raise more revenue in fines..

John.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post

as far as I know, most put them over the drivers seat back, so they know where it is and it's not too much hassle.

I disagree with the principal of constant hiviz though, lessens the effect of it, like when yer on a site ye notice someone not wearing it, rather than wearing it.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedd View Post
Yeah...Cheese eating Surrender Monkeys

I just have one word that sums up my feelings towards the French.....

EXOCET
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
The French Gov has finally confirmed how it will implement new regulations for bikers regarding reflective clothing and number plates.

As of 1st Jan 2013 it will be an offence, punishable through a fine and the loss of points, (in France you lose them, don't gain them) not to wear at least 150cm2 of relective clothing between the waist and the shoulders and not to be using an enlarged number plate.
Cool!.....get up to 9 points here, take a trip to Frogland, get 'caught' a couple of times with no hi-viz, get points removed! sorted
Old 11-01-2012, 07:11 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
Cool!.....get up to 9 points here, take a trip to Frogland, get 'caught' a couple of times with no hi-viz, get points removed! sorted
hmmm, you might be onto something there.....
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Chatter Box

applying decals to a helmet can actually damage a helmet - same as spraying - not so to fiberglass but plastic lids, the chemicals in the glue can react with the plastic and make them unsafe

its like pre-school again where you had those bloody reflectors given to clip to your bag and shit (or we did anyway)

suppose they cant hand a fine out if they dont know who you are and they cant catch you
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Chatter Box

Location: Berkshire boy at heart, now living in sunny Northants

And they wonder why the "European Union" has not got a pot to piss in at the moment, not only do they give huge wedges of dosh to the 3rd world countries that they have let join the union, they also spend shit loads of wedge researching this unnecessary shit!

Making bad taste look good!

Last edited by John Hopkins; 12-01-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodge View Post
I love that one...

John.
Old 14-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
I have no idea what they would consider an enlarged number plate, unless it is a car number plate and why on earth would they enforce that as to do so will only cut down on the reflective area shown at the rear.

John.
I read that as a 'double negative'. so it is an offence to have a small plate.
Four reflective stickers on the crash helmet eh?
How long will it be before someone has the bright idea of selling packs of reflective stickers that say 'Bollocks to the French, they can stick their stickers up their arses'?

Anyone who has the nous to reopen the old Dover/Ostend route will be quids in I reckon. That way you can avoid France entirely
Don't forget that French proposals also included no filtering on motorbikes and the banning of motorcycles over 7 years old from urban centres.
Yes, I know that the 7 year rule was designed to deter the annoying kids on mopeds, but do you trust the Frogs not to apply it to everyone?
ESPECIALLY bikes from the UK? I suspect we will be singled out for 'special consideration'
Old 14-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearthefoxhat View Post
ESPECIALLY bikes from the UK? I suspect we will be singled out for 'special consideration'
You can count on that one!

Steve.