100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25-11-2011, 09:33 PM
zillah zillah is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Riding
Posts: 23
Default xs1100 gearbox

hi all. can anyone recommend someone who might be able to sort out the problem i'm having with my xs1100 trike gearbox?.i know that jumping out of first or second is a common fault and i have a spare box that might help.
thanks zillah
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-11-2011, 10:48 PM
DaiPunk's Avatar
DaiPunk DaiPunk is offline
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: In Search Of Space
Posts: 1,184
Default

Do you have a manual for it? Spanners? XS11 is a fairly easy DIY engine.
__________________
Fuuuckin ell, I was pissed, mind
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 26-11-2011, 09:37 AM
happybiker happybiker is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The land of the bloody rose
Posts: 235
Default

It is a reasonably simple job for anyone used to working on engines but bear in mind that a full gasket set will be needed at about 85 ish to start with. Is the gearbox you've got spare part of a good engine lump? could it not just be swapped, much easier.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 26-11-2011, 10:49 AM
johnr johnr is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: preston, lancs
Posts: 3,530
Default

you sure? when we did my mates xs 11 box we flipped the motor and split the crankcases without removing the top end.

not that it lasted more than about 10,000 miles before it went again mind, not yamahas finest hour the xs box, he had a big old chair on his and in the end ended up just shortshifting through second to avoid bother.
__________________
in sidecars, no one can hear you scream!





http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26-11-2011, 11:05 AM
hardtailbiker's Avatar
hardtailbiker hardtailbiker is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Derby
Posts: 1,377
Default

John is right, easiest and chepaest way, you need to change the barrell as it wears away on the corners and that is why it slips, you can weld in the worn areas and file to make them smooth if you don't want the expense of getting a new barrell.

This will be of great benefit if you are working on your xs, register with them

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-11-2011, 09:50 PM
zillah zillah is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Riding
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
It is a reasonably simple job for anyone used to working on engines but bear in mind that a full gasket set will be needed at about 85 ish to start with. Is the gearbox you've got spare part of a good engine lump? could it not just be swapped, much easier.
the spare box looks ok to me. i can only see one knackered cog which is small and on the end of the selector shaft! the actual selectors look fine.i bought it without the lump. thanks zillah
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 26-11-2011, 09:54 PM
zillah zillah is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Riding
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
you sure? when we did my mates xs 11 box we flipped the motor and split the crankcases without removing the top end.

not that it lasted more than about 10,000 miles before it went again mind, not yamahas finest hour the xs box, he had a big old chair on his and in the end ended up just shortshifting through second to avoid bother.
i would be happy with 10000 miles, it is crap at the minute and 10000miles would outlast me! thanks zillah
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 26-11-2011, 10:00 PM
zillah zillah is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Riding
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiPunk View Post
Do you have a manual for it? Spanners? XS11 is a fairly easy DIY engine.
i have manual, spanners,spare gear box, garage, heat, metalica/acdc etc,tea,coffee,beer,food,accommodation,hope/fear,gratitude,friendship,limited funds and desperation! HELP!!!!!!! thanks zillah

Last edited by zillah; 28-11-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26-11-2011, 11:34 PM
happybiker happybiker is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: The land of the bloody rose
Posts: 235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
you sure? when we did my mates xs 11 box we flipped the motor and split the crankcases without removing the top end.

.
I usually do a check and rebuild on the big Yams of that era if I'm stripping the box for somebody else John, might not if I've heard it running. You can meet anything from knackered exhaust studs to fecked cam chains. Not worth the risk of being slagged when another fault turns up later. Any xs with more than about 30,000 miles on is worth stripping just to check the crank. If the box is on it's way out, something else might be too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27-11-2011, 08:18 PM
johnr johnr is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: preston, lancs
Posts: 3,530
Default

he bought it cheap with a jumpy box and we fitted new gen yam bits to fix it, 10k later it was as bad again so we fitted another motor with a known good box. tbh if it hadnt had the big sidecar on it and wasnt used to pull a trailer then it would have lasted considerably longer, so hardly an intrinsic fault,
__________________
in sidecars, no one can hear you scream!





http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30-11-2011, 08:01 PM
zillah zillah is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Riding
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
I usually do a check and rebuild on the big Yams of that era if I'm stripping the box for somebody else John, might not if I've heard it running. You can meet anything from knackered exhaust studs to fecked cam chains. Not worth the risk of being slagged when another fault turns up later. Any xs with more than about 30,000 miles on is worth stripping just to check the crank. If the box is on it's way out, something else might be too.
how much would i be looking at to have it sorted? thanks zillah
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.