100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 25-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Chat Virgin

Default xs1100 gearbox

hi all. can anyone recommend someone who might be able to sort out the problem i'm having with my xs1100 trike gearbox?.i know that jumping out of first or second is a common fault and i have a spare box that might help.
thanks zillah
Old 25-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Do you have a manual for it? Spanners? XS11 is a fairly easy DIY engine.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Chatter Box

It is a reasonably simple job for anyone used to working on engines but bear in mind that a full gasket set will be needed at about 85 ish to start with. Is the gearbox you've got spare part of a good engine lump? could it not just be swapped, much easier.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

you sure? when we did my mates xs 11 box we flipped the motor and split the crankcases without removing the top end.

not that it lasted more than about 10,000 miles before it went again mind, not yamahas finest hour the xs box, he had a big old chair on his and in the end ended up just shortshifting through second to avoid bother.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 26-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

John is right, easiest and chepaest way, you need to change the barrell as it wears away on the corners and that is why it slips, you can weld in the worn areas and file to make them smooth if you don't want the expense of getting a new barrell.

This will be of great benefit if you are working on your xs, register with them

http://www.benefiscal.co.uk/forum/
Old 26-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
It is a reasonably simple job for anyone used to working on engines but bear in mind that a full gasket set will be needed at about 85 ish to start with. Is the gearbox you've got spare part of a good engine lump? could it not just be swapped, much easier.
the spare box looks ok to me. i can only see one knackered cog which is small and on the end of the selector shaft! the actual selectors look fine.i bought it without the lump. thanks zillah
Old 26-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
you sure? when we did my mates xs 11 box we flipped the motor and split the crankcases without removing the top end.

not that it lasted more than about 10,000 miles before it went again mind, not yamahas finest hour the xs box, he had a big old chair on his and in the end ended up just shortshifting through second to avoid bother.
i would be happy with 10000 miles, it is crap at the minute and 10000miles would outlast me! thanks zillah
Old 26-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiPunk View Post
Do you have a manual for it? Spanners? XS11 is a fairly easy DIY engine.
i have manual, spanners,spare gear box, garage, heat, metalica/acdc etc,tea,coffee,beer,food,accommodation,hope/fear,gratitude,friendship,limited funds and desperation! HELP!!!!!!! thanks zillah

Last edited by zillah; 28-11-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post

I usually do a check and rebuild on the big Yams of that era if I'm stripping the box for somebody else John, might not if I've heard it running. You can meet anything from knackered exhaust studs to fecked cam chains. Not worth the risk of being slagged when another fault turns up later. Any xs with more than about 30,000 miles on is worth stripping just to check the crank. If the box is on it's way out, something else might be too.
Old 27-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

he bought it cheap with a jumpy box and we fitted new gen yam bits to fix it, 10k later it was as bad again so we fitted another motor with a known good box. tbh if it hadnt had the big sidecar on it and wasnt used to pull a trailer then it would have lasted considerably longer, so hardly an intrinsic fault,

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 30-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
I usually do a check and rebuild on the big Yams of that era if I'm stripping the box for somebody else John, might not if I've heard it running. You can meet anything from knackered exhaust studs to fecked cam chains. Not worth the risk of being slagged when another fault turns up later. Any xs with more than about 30,000 miles on is worth stripping just to check the crank. If the box is on it's way out, something else might be too.
how much would i be looking at to have it sorted? thanks zillah