Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Chat Virgin

Default reliant robin insurance?

hello all,

i was wondering if you can insure a reliant robin on trike insurance:
http://www.bikesure.co.uk/insurance/reliant

as on this site: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q504.htm They say that if the vehicle weighs less than 550kgs then its class as b1.

i have a full driving license and insurance for it classed as b is 3000 but classed as a trike on b1 is 500.

I believe the reliant robin weighs 450 kg (992 lb) so does this mean i can drive this on trike insurance? as it does show tricycle on log book .

i can't find anyone asking this question anywhere so hopefully this helps?

thankyou in advanced
Old 10-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Insure it for Third Party, Fire and Theft. Hopefully after you,ve taken it to three piss ups some one will steal it and set light to it. Everybody wins.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoopz10 View Post
hello all,

i was wondering if you can insure a reliant robin on trike insurance:
http://www.bikesure.co.uk/insurance/reliant

as on this site: https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q504.htm They say that if the vehicle weighs less than 550kgs then its class as b1.

i have a full driving license and insurance for it classed as b is 3000 but classed as a trike on b1 is 500.

I believe the reliant robin weighs 450 kg (992 lb) so does this mean i can drive this on trike insurance? as it does show tricycle on log book .

i can't find anyone asking this question anywhere so hopefully this helps?

thankyou in advanced
They want 3k to insure a Reliant Robin? What the fuck have you been doing?
Old 10-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Need to Get out More!

dont know if this helps but my old grandad never had a car license and drove around all his life perfectly legally in robbins on his bike license so it must be classed as something other that a car
Old 10-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

They have changed things since then. I can ride a trike on my bike license, but only because I've had it for about 35 years
Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Need to Get out More!

why am i not surprised!
Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

reliants are a higher insurance risk than most small cars, i think its cos of all that easily damaged and flammable fibre glass, but 3k is taking the piss!

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 10-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
reliants are a higher insurance risk than most small cars, i think its cos of all that easily damaged and flammable fibre glass, but 3k is taking the piss!
When I had the Can-Am, with six points and two claims against me, valued at 15,000, me insurance was only (only?!?) 654 comp - how dirty is his licence?
Old 11-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

He could just be young. Jump on a comparison site and pretend to be a 17/18 year old and see how stupid the quotes are
Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
and pretend to be a 17/18 year old
i'd keep quiet about that, if i were you.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteHaddock View Post
why am i not surprised!
Rather ironically, it's called 'Granddad rights'.....
Old 18-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Chat Virgin

Send a message via Skype™ to JMcBastard

Hey, I found this old thread on google.

I'm in the same situation, having bought a Reliant to learn how to drive a car.

They changed the law so that you can drive one on a full bike license again!

My previous insurance company were charging me 120 a month to insure (3rd party fire and theft too, i might add!) the Robin, as they were unwilling to accept my 3 years no claims because I got it on bikes. Had to take it off the road until I can find somewhere cheaper to insure it.

Haven't been able to find anything cheaper than a grand, and as I only paid 500 for the car I feel a bit ripped off... especially since I have a clean license and 3 years no claims. It's only an 850 at the end of the day! My VZ800 was about 60 a month if i remember right!

So, I was wondering if anyone who's into their trikes could recommend a more reasonably priced insurance company?

Any help most appreciated!
Cheers!
Jonny
Old 18-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

It seems to me that we are getting some funny questions on here lately.

If you want to insure a reliant robin you tell the insurance company that it's a reliant robin.

If you insure a different vehicle the robin aint covered as you will discover if you make a claim.

Plod wont be impressed by the cover note either.
Old 18-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

I think you might have got the wrong end of the stick harry..he said..of the robin..It's only an 850 at the end of the day. which is true but to insure a car costs much more than a bike and if the insurance companies have a robin listed as a car they will charge like a wounded bull.

Bastard, three years bike insurance counts as nothing when trying to get car insurance, but you can play one firm against another to get the price down a bit, also look at the V5 to see what the vehicle is listed as.

There are some tricks you can use, if the value is under 4,000 they figure you will not care if it gets involved in an accident so they charge more..sometimes it is cheaper to go for full comp with a big excess instead of third party..and another bit of bad news if you don't insure a bike for a while you can lose your three years NCD.

John.
Old 19-03-2014, 09:50 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Actually there is a trick to getting NCD transferred form bike to car - if you only have a had a bike and have NCD get a 6 wheel deal for a year - then at end of year get 2 seperate policies worked when we got first car and wife got her 6 years transferred over to the car that way but kept her bike NCD as well.

You may need to ask original insurer for a statement of of no claims. They may say you can not transfer no claims discount so you say you are not after that you just want written proof of no claims. I had an issue a couple of years back when i bought the xjr having had a GPZ on a carole nash historic bike policy (it was an early one). When CN realised i was moving away from them they told my new broker i had no NCD, I rang them up and said "how dare you, you know I have had continuous bike insurance since 1988 with no claims and you have had my business since 1996 when i got the gpz", they said historic policies have no NCD on them as already so heavily discounted so they just told the new people that i had no exisiting NCD, after a bit of tooing and froing I was advised to ask them to send me a letter confirming that I had never made a claim against them during the time they held my insurance and they were unaware of any claims being made by me (apparently they have to do this), they reluctantly did it (although they did put in a bit of twaddle about "in the last 7 years covered by our computer records") new insurers underwriters were happy to accept it and i got full NCD from day 1 with them
Old 19-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
I think you might have got the wrong end of the stick harry.

John.
Happens all the time mate
Old 19-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Chat Virgin

Send a message via Skype™ to JMcBastard

Hey, tried getting a quote for fully comp with a 500 excess. Got a quote for 639 with elephant.co.uk. Just need to scrape the cash together now!
Never would've thought of doing that, I've always gone 3rd party fire and theft cos I thought it was the cheapest.... learn something new every day haha.
Thanks for showing me this, I really appreciate it!
Wasn't really expecting to be able to insure it as a bike if I'm being honest, but I thought it might be worth asking around since on the V5 it says it's a tricycle.
Anyways! Problem solved! Now that i'm not giving all my cash to insurance companies, i might even be able to get a wee bike to run around on too! Result!
Old 19-03-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcBastard View Post
Hey, tried getting a quote for fully comp with a 500 excess. Got a quote for 639 with elephant.co.uk. Just need to scrape the cash together now!
Never would've thought of doing that, I've always gone 3rd party fire and theft cos I thought it was the cheapest.... learn something new every day haha.
Thanks for showing me this, I really appreciate it!
Wasn't really expecting to be able to insure it as a bike if I'm being honest, but I thought it might be worth asking around since on the V5 it says it's a tricycle.
Anyways! Problem solved! Now that i'm not giving all my cash to insurance companies, i might even be able to get a wee bike to run around on too! Result!
I do like a happy ending