100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 29-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default Vosa

Just had a trike in work with a prohibtion notice for a noisy exhaust.vosa did a road side check with no decibel meter and still gave him the notice they also made sure it was registered properly.lucky for the guy he was coming for a retest any way so he did not have to pay for a mot. They also told him. They are going to do the same with bikes.so be careful .he was pulled over in swanick Derbyshire .i gave him a pass since the exhaust he had on meet the mot limmit
Old 29-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Capt I thought [maybe wrong] that the noise of the exhaust was down to the discretion of the tester? No meters used on exhaust is there for a MOT?

Of course the cans have to be stamped with a BSI kyte mark and not for off road use.

Your comments ta......

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Old 29-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

That's the thing bud we don't use meters so how can we say if it's to loud.so I just pass them with a advise saying it's noisy. you do not have to have a bs mark they can be blank for the mot.but they must not say race use etc
Old 29-09-2011, 12:36 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

yeah didnt they change it about 3 years back. dropped the BS mark requirementand went back to testers discretion and no "not for road use" markings.

I have a mate who had a Suzuki IT250 (us market 4 stroke single) who used to have fun with MOT's as all it said on the can was "US Forestry commision approved spark arrester"
Old 29-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

i think i would certainly question vosa's inspectors ability to issue a defect notice at the roadside (with the attendant background noise) for an exhaust being too loud if he didnt have a meter, thats like being ticketed for speeding based only on someone thinking you were going 'a bit quick'.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 29-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I just think they are taking the mick with the noise.
Making sure the paper work is ok is fine with me
Old 29-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Chatter Box

Ok, Correct Papper work.......?

Robin Reliant 1982,

Made into Trike some time late 90's retaining engine gear box and rear axle.
Bought by self 2004
Fitted 2000cc vauxhall engine in 2005 DVLA informed (hand made exhaust)
Fitted auto box instead of manual box in 2007 DVLA informed
fitted independant rear suspension 2010 DVLA informed of change and new weight

Registration Dockument now reads

Reliant Robin
Tricycle
2ooo cc
670Kg

How would vosa interprit this is it legal and correct document or, incorrect although DVLA has been noified of all changes.
Also new frount suspension being built at moment.
Old 30-09-2011, 06:48 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

From wot the customer told me they can do a history check.since yours is legit it should be ok.but you do get the trikes that use a reliant log book on things that have never bin reliant
Old 30-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Do not under any circumstances underestimate the powers of VOSA and their operatives.
They can issue immediate prohibition notices if they consider your vehicle to be unroadworthy for whatever reason.
We had a GV9 ( vehicle cannot be moved until rectified) on a 3 month old 7.5 tonne lorry because the clutch fluid level was below the line, despite the fact the clutch was air over fluid operated.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernpesant View Post
Ok, Correct Papper work.......?

Robin Reliant 1982,

Made into Trike some time late 90's retaining engine gear box and rear axle.
Bought by self 2004
Fitted 2000cc vauxhall engine in 2005 DVLA informed (hand made exhaust)
Fitted auto box instead of manual box in 2007 DVLA informed
fitted independant rear suspension 2010 DVLA informed of change and new weight

Registration Dockument now reads

Reliant Robin
Tricycle
2ooo cc
670Kg

How would vosa interprit this is it legal and correct document or, incorrect although DVLA has been noified of all changes.
Also new frount suspension being built at moment.
I thought it was down to MOT again and refusal to test as it does not look like what it is registered as. Ie does it look like a Robin reliant no ........ reason to refuse test.
Not fully enforced yet but soon to be when all the new test regs bought in next year.
Old 30-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

It's not down to us testers to refuse to test if it don't look like a reliant we test as presented .it's vosa and dvla who chase the wrong ones up
Old 30-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
.I gave him a pass since the exhaust he had on met the mot limit
If no meters are used and you have a loud exhaust,but it's level of noise is determined by the tester, if that tester has a hearing fault,and this is a genuine point I'm making, not a piss take, then that tester has the right to pass that exhaust ?
Old 30-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincondom View Post
It's not down to us testers to refuse to test if it don't look like a reliant we test as presented .it's vosa and dvla who chase the wrong ones up
At the moment.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

From all the info I have their are no plans to chage this method of logging the test on.
Yes the test is changing but only class4 hgv psv not bikes or trikes.they are adding extra testable items not the test methods
Old 30-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Chat Slapper

The problem being Body type marked on the V5c, if the vehicle does not match the body type the tester must notify vosa and refuse to test. Ie if body type is Saloon or Regal van and your presented with a bare chassis with a couple of seats bunged on, it is neither and therefore should be Sva'd. Testers turning a blind eye will be pulled up on this when roadside checks flag this. It's for this reason many testers are already refusing to test.
Old 30-09-2011, 11:54 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
The problem being Body type marked on the V5c, if the vehicle does not match the body type the tester must notify vosa and refuse to test. Ie if body type is Saloon or Regal van and your presented with a bare chassis with a couple of seats bunged on, it is neither and therefore should be Sva'd. Testers turning a blind eye will be pulled up on this when roadside checks flag this. It's for this reason many testers are already refusing to test.
agree. anything registered as a 'reliant' but has forks is a no-no.
is captaincondom really gonna risk his testers licence by passing some aquaintances' trike with a wink??
vosa pull up the trike for a 'routine check'... 'but it's all legal' says rider, 'look here's my MOT etc'... vosa visit test station...
Old 30-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I love this myth when we log on a test it will bring up match say a reliant van in the test bay we have a trike with no body we still test it but we make up a new record to say some thing like custom trike and we test as normal and issue a pass or a fail .it's then up to dvla or vosa to check the new information .so as a tester we can not refuse to test because the info don't match.the only legit refusal is no proof of new weight
Old 30-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincondom View Post
I love this myth when we log on a test it will bring up match say a reliant van in the test bay we have a trike with no body we still test it but we make up a new record to say some thing like custom trike and we test as normal and issue a pass or a fail .it's then up to dvla or vosa to check the new information .so as a tester we can not refuse to test because the info don't match.the only legit refusal is no proof of new weight
should there be a full stop after 'myth'??? it seems to make more sense if there is.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Chat Slapper

A risky attitude, and I know of testers who do refuse to test on this basis already. It's not unique to Trikes either The Beach buggy boys are having the same problems. Logbooks stating Beetle and presenting Manx buggies, Hence the older model log books being desirable as they do not state saloon. It is precisely grey areas like this that is driving Anti tampering laws. The trike aforementioned has had a engine/drive-train change increasing power etc but no mention of better brakes. A example of why MEP's feel the need to stop people messing with deigns. Overall it is down to testers taking a risk at the moment and good luck to you, but blanket saying it's fine lets people think that there is no issue. And that could well cost people a lot if they invest in the wrong machines.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Chatter Box

Have no fear, the aforementioned trike has had an up grade on the rear as the reliant drums would not pull up the increased weight. This Trike now has subaru impreza rear axle with limmited slip to get us of the rally fields and subaru disks. It stops as quick as you like and it corners well.
This has been an ongoing work, I do the alterations to it over winter and MOT it before its put back on the road. The frount is being modified (again) this year as im not happy with the front axle weight being close to the tyres load carrying capacity, so it requires a different wheel.
Yes there is a need to know what you are doing, and doing the research is part of the fun of modifieing somthing like this. The problem is knowing your own limmits and finding people that can help when required. Is there realy a need to SVA a vehicle every time its modified, i am not in favour of a modification ban because that is a large part of the enjoyment of owning such a vehicle.
Old 30-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

The only risk testers are taking is not testing them as they have no real grounds to refuse.don't for get the mot has nothing to do with how the vehicle looks or how it appears on the v5 (apart from some kit cars show the emissions info )its wise to fully check all info befor you part with your cash if you are buying any thing.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernpesant View Post
Have no fear, the aforementioned trike has had an up grade on the rear as the reliant drums would not pull up the increased weight. This Trike now has subaru impreza rear axle with limmited slip to get us of the rally fields and subaru disks. It stops as quick as you like and it corners well.
This has been an ongoing work, I do the alterations to it over winter and MOT it before its put back on the road. The frount is being modified (again) this year as im not happy with the front axle weight being close to the tyres load carrying capacity, so it requires a different wheel.
Yes there is a need to know what you are doing, and doing the research is part of the fun of modifieing somthing like this. The problem is knowing your own limmits and finding people that can help when required. Is there realy a need to SVA a vehicle every time its modified, i am not in favour of a modification ban because that is a large part of the enjoyment of owning such a vehicle.
if you've altered the original reliant chassis in any way other than adding small tabs/brackets etc then legally you've created a new vehicle and it needs the dreaded vosa test. no ifs, no buts, it's black and white.
Old 30-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

The msva isnt scarey or difficult to pass. Its the proper route to take and to ensure that your pride and joy stays legal.
Mot stations cant refuse to test just as its modified. They test whats presented to them. I had this problem locally when they wouldnt do the mot on my trike. Spoke with vosa didnt mention any names as thay dont help anyone and they confirmed it.
Old 30-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Do not under any circumstances underestimate the powers of VOSA and their operatives.
They can issue immediate prohibition notices if they consider your vehicle to be unroadworthy for whatever reason.
We had a GV9 ( vehicle cannot be moved until rectified) on a 3 month old 7.5 tonne lorry because the clutch fluid level was below the line, despite the fact the clutch was air over fluid operated.
Not quite unlimited power. All PG9 prohibitions have to follow the procedures in the CAT of D's
Clutch aint even in there.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...200608-cjd.pdf
Old 30-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
agree. anything registered as a 'reliant' but has forks is a no-no.
well, erm, no. it depends how well you know your reliants doesnt it?

http://www.a7c.co.uk/images/ReliantVan.jpg

Old 30-09-2011, 05:37 PM

its coming though. mark my words. as the eu seeks to harmonise vehicle testing and regs to the standard of the strictest in the union, we will all face german style mot tests and registration doce in my lifetime i'll wager. i bet if you said not too long back that all mot tests would be done online up a link to the dvla's computer and engine swaps could result in a request to have the bike inspected you would have been laughed at.

Old 30-09-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
well, erm, no. it depends how well you know your reliants doesnt it?

http://www.a7c.co.uk/images/ReliantVan.jpg
LOL
Old 30-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Chatter Box

The reregistration procedure and recording varied between DVLA offices before 2003

It is quite possible to have a legally registered trike that states it is a 'Reliant Robin' on the v5c. Prior to 2003, when a vehicle was inspected for changes by DVLA, they often just missed out the body type or substituted the word 'unbodied' on the logbook. The trike owner should have paperwork to prove the inspection alongside the V5c.

Some V5c's will also have words like 'Modified vehicle' or 'This vehicle has been remanufactured from used parts' on them.

When filling out the forms for an inspection, owners could elect a new manufacturers name and/or model but many didn't bother.

As Rob says, any modifications to the chassis are now subject to MSVA. Prior to midsummer 2003, they weren't and inspections varied from a quick look by a DVLA operative to check the numbers to a simple phone call. I reregistered an xv1100 as a modified framed trike in March 2003 and all I did was took the paperwork into my local office and they never even looked at the vehicle. I also did 3 reliants between 1994 and 2001 in a similar fashion. Owners who didn't bother with such an easy system, were lazy. It seems like it was up to the individual inspector whether the modified vehicle was given a 'Q' reg or retained it's original one. 2 of my Reliants were given 'Q's and the other and the XV retained their old ones. 'Q' reg is generally a good sign that the vehicle has been legally inspected (not always though, stolen/recovered can be rereg as well)

I am also told that DVLA will legitimise a vehicle if tangible proof that the modifications were carried out before 2003 is provided to them. That was the case in 2005, but I don't know what it's like now.

Last edited by happybiker; 30-09-2011 at 08:59 PM. Reason: half finished