100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony
Default why do people spend a lot of money on things they have no idea about??

got a call today from a bike shop, the owner has a trike (martin conquest) and knows that I build/tinker with them

he gave my number to a customer thats got a trike and having some issues

spoke with the guy just now, its a bike trike, apparantly a 750 shadow motor, chain drive diff conversion, its a swing arm trike conversion, so straight away Im dreading it LOL

he admits that since he got it its been nothing but trouble, rear sprocket keeps coming undone!! well it is on long bolts and spaced away from the diff with washers to get the chain run straight, also now a little worried that the front half can be tilted and leaned about, hmmm what a surprise,

oh and for the great honour of owning a machine such as this, he parted with 5k and has spent a fortune on it since for alloy wheels etc

I just dont understand how people spend that sort of money on something without really looking into it???

off to see it in the next few days to see what I think it needs, hes happy to spend money on it to make it useable, as he says hes got too much in it already to just give up
Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Because some people are just plain fucking stupid. They walk among us.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

LOL sorry but genuinely did just laugh at that, I guess I just supposed everyone had some common sense, I see that I overlooked a large section of the human world.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

He'll learn...........maybe.

Wisdom is worth what it costs.

It isn't the journey or the destination ........it's who you ride it with.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Chat Slut

Yes, I've seen this sort of thing with people before. It's a fixation syndrome, often fuelled by a condition known as 'having more money than sense'.

I think that because Joe public doesn't know much about engineering etc, they assume that if it's on the road it must be safe.

I've seen some really dodgy things running about. (what is it with the mad max and cargo netting look ?)

As for trikes in general, No thanks, can't see why you would want to... but hey, each to their own....
Old 05-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphbill View Post
often fuelled by a condition known as 'having more money than sense'.
If any body knows of such a person I have great investment scheme highly recommended by some Nigerians I can provide references if needed.

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 05-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Need to Get out More!

Its not about having more money than sense but trusting builders to do it right in the first place. I know cos I have been there done that and if things dont sound right first time I now ignore them and go for caution.
Funny really because that problem is the same one I had with our trike, may even be the same builder. You cant make a rigid axle with suspension work right. If you want suspension on the rear IRS is the only way in my opinion.

runs for cover and waits for flak
Old 05-09-2011, 08:20 PM

nah your spot on, Im yet to see a swingarm trike conversion that I beleive is truely safe and actually works

already told the guy that hes probably best off considering hardtailing the frame, hes fine just wants to be able to use it

if thats the case will probably put him in touch with Rob, hes local and ideal for the job
Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default The CLUE

The CLUE is in your title:
why do people spend a lot of money on things they have no idea about??

because if they knew what was what they wouldn't spend a lot of money on bollix....like sadsimian/SOA patches, dodgy trikes & designer label sunglasses....
Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 PM
Self opinionated twat

Send a message via Yahoo to hacky

why farm it out when your more than capable m8?
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacky View Post
why farm it out when your more than capable m8?
you is a Stirrer
Old 05-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Self opinionated twat

Send a message via Yahoo to hacky

i do try...lol
Old 05-09-2011, 09:09 PM

I think that i expect everyone to be as cautious as me. But yup your bang on right. Matey bought this as he was told its a professional build and at 5k he obviously thought it would be safe and functional. In its simplest form its a confidence scam.
Im hoping to start something up in this area. Maybe a trike hospital lol. A year ago there was none that i knew of in the area. Theres now 3 with ncc members and family. Mine. 3other bike trikes for sure. A ford car engined one. And a work in progess beetle engined trike.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
... A year ago there was none that i knew of in the area. Theres now 3 with ncc members and family. Mine. 3other bike trikes for sure. A ford car engined one. And a work in progess beetle engined trike.
And the rest, they're fucking everywhere!
I was at a poxy little junction in one horse Minehead, a Wing trike gave way to a Pan trike, and a Shadow trike was coming the other way!
What's even more worrying is the number of sidecars I've seen recently.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Chatter Box

Default Trikes

I get the impression that trikes much more than bikes are bought by people who know nothing about them, and over pay for them. Probably because they can be ridden (driven?) without a bike license so a lot of buyers know nothing about bikes or trikes. Still amazes me how much people pay for trikes.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themanfromporlock View Post
And the rest, they're fucking everywhere!
I was at a poxy little junction in one horse Minehead, a Wing trike gave way to a Pan trike, and a Shadow trike was coming the other way!
What's even more worrying is the number of sidecars I've seen recently.
LOL the wing trike is probably a bloke called Vivan, he tells everyone hes a custom builder etc etc, he buys the swingarms off ebay and takes them to a garage to be fitted LOL. has "built" about 3-4 recently, tesnds to do a lap of town then sell it on, as far as Im aware at least 2 were still regged as bikes!!

no idea of the pan trike, but the one I have to go and see tonight is a shadow trike, tiny lil thing white, with big white box on the back, came from wales originally.

it is a strange market, you see crap fetch ridiculous money, but decent ones not sell?
Old 06-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
I think that i expect everyone to be as cautious as me. But yup your bang on right. Matey bought this as he was told its a professional build and at 5k he obviously thought it would be safe and functional. In its simplest form its a confidence scam.
Im hoping to start something up in this area. Maybe a trike hospital lol. A year ago there was none that i knew of in the area. Theres now 3 with ncc members and family. Mine. 3other bike trikes for sure. A ford car engined one. And a work in progess beetle engined trike.
Well don't foget if yer do start summit in yer area the Council are Fussy about Landfill sites , which is the best idea for most trikes
Old 06-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Chatter Box

i reckon its good they spend money ons stuff they have no idea bout as it provides us with entertainment and is obviously gonna provide someone with a wage as well (not that i condone em being ripped off in first place but that aside)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Jedi Chat Master

It's because we have to. I have a telly I know little about, and a mobile phone and a lap top etc; etc;. It's what keeps the world turning.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:10 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
nah your spot on, Im yet to see a swingarm trike conversion that I beleive is truely safe and actually works

already told the guy that hes probably best off considering hardtailing the frame, hes fine just wants to be able to use it

if thats the case will probably put him in touch with Rob, hes local and ideal for the job
ta m8.........
Old 06-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

Off to see a similar with brake problem. He has no idea what axle it has ! Should be fun...infact....I know it will be
Old 06-09-2011, 10:20 AM

popping in there tonight, will take some pics with phone and if he wants major work done, then can send you photos so you can see it roughly before travelling.

hopefully can keep the work and money local, he wants it all painted afterwards, so gave him southwest chop shops web address, he really fancies airbrush work etc, and might be an easy job as he actually knows what he wants, dont know if that makes it easier or not??
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Off to see a similar with brake problem. He has no idea what axle it has ! Should be fun...infact....I know it will be
LOL yeah this is similar, only appears to know what the engine is as thats what the advert said, hopefully the diff etc will be easy to ID.

has mentioned that its a bit short and a bit narrow, I saw it out on the road a week or so back, its about as long as a standard bike from memory, and only maybe 3 foot wide, hardly a stable formula
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Chat Slut

Quote:
.... but the one I have to go and see tonight is a shadow trike, tiny lil thing white, with big white box on the back, came from wales originally.....
Fat bloke, 750 that sounds like a diesel?
Good Luck lmao
Old 06-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

Quote:
... only maybe 3 foot wide, hardly a stable formula

Saw a tiny little scots lass hammer around a sweeping corner and brought a wheel up. She did all but jump up and down over the wheel to bring it back down. 3ft chopped axle.

Looking forward to seeing pictures Tony.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Chat Pimp and lover of the Welsh

why do people spend a lot of money on things they have no idea about??

I've spent a fortune on my mrs , still hav'nt got a clue.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:59 PM

its actually quite a smart lil trike, sort of harley servicar esque

swingarm bearings are shot to bits, if it has any!!!

and the back end although seems to appear constructed ok??? (read as I have seen worse, but not a lot) LOL, the diff and shafts etc are all cocked.

will put some pics in the trikes section as Im looking for info on the diff, looks like a ford one removed from its case

Last edited by devon-tony; 06-09-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:28 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

It is a common problem all over, Ive been asked to put a couple right recently, one had a prop angle so steep it would only have lasted about 3 weeks and the guy wondered why it was knocking.

When I explained in simple easy to understand chunks (thats what I do for a living working in africa), he understood and became all sensetive about, saying he should have known better before he parted with his money. Its a nice looking shiney well painted trike but underneath horrendous.

Pro built or not, does not matter, the design has to right in the first place, least you have a chance.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addjunkie View Post
Pro built or not, does not matter, the design has to right in the first place, least you have a chance.
The idea of a "pro" built one is it being designed right in the first place, its a trust thing.
It just goes to show that not all so called self proclaimed "pro" builders are capable of designing something to be usable as well as safe.