100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 29-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Chatter Box

Default Does this trike look right to you?

Hi All

Been doing some research for my next special and I've come across this trike:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIKE-NO-B...item20bc1fe33e

He's got it registered as a BSA but looking at the front loop its def a XS11 frame (I've got a 81 myself) or am I loosing the plot?

How much trouble would the new owner be in?

P.
Old 29-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Chat Pimp

Cant see that the new owner would be in any trouble at all. In fact, I cant see anything wrong that would make me wary. But to satisfy yourself, you could always ask the seller for the details on the V5.
Old 29-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Chatter Box

Reg no. comes up as an 1101cc BSA. Doesn't say whether bike or trike though. Can't actually see any problem. As said previous, V5c needs a look at and if that's ok, no problem.

Looks like the only thing this seller is guilty off is poor spelling and offering part ex./ swop which is against Ebay rules. If someone reported him, the advert would be removed but it's too close to the end for any awkward person to do that now.

Last edited by happybiker; 29-08-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added more comments
Old 29-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

Cant see it on my phone but odds are it started life as a bsa dandy. I would be worried as its obviously not and probably fraudulently claiming free road tax also at a guess
Old 29-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
Cant see it on my phone but odds are it started life as a bsa dandy. I would be worried as its obviously not and probably fraudulently claiming free road tax also at a guess
Oh yes..I'd have to agree with that..Slightly modified BSA Dandy..engine bored out maybe.

John.
Old 30-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

A real BSA Trike.

http://www.3wheelers.com/bsa.html

John.
Old 30-08-2011, 06:36 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

he's flogging it because he knows within a year or so he won't be able to MOT it, and it'll be worthless. literally. he's trying to make a few quid while he still can. if you buy it, you'll have to register it properly, MSVA it and get a 'Q' plate....

you say the front loop is deffo XS11, does that not start the alarm bells ringing???

why has it got BSA numbers on it???

worst case, if you buy it, you'll get stopped, nicked for ringing motors, invalid insurance, invalid MOT and anything else they can think of, and the trike'll be crushed.

the days of bunging any old reg plate on anything are gone now.

Last edited by rob; 30-08-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Chatter Box

See that's why I was asking the 'silly' questions. For my next Project I'm building a trike. I'm also using a vintage frame. What I plan to do is bolt on the extra frame mods, i.e. in no way modify the frame so I can keep and use the original paperwork.

I had also thought about using an old C15 frame and paperwork but to have a C15 with a 850cc I thought would just be asking for trouble. So I have other plans for the BSA after the trike is finished
Old 30-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Chatter Box

When registering a trike, the person can call it anything they want. I wouldn't make any decision untill I could read the V5c. If the log book says it's a modified vehicle then there is little possibility of any problems as many examiners wouldn't have a clue as to what parts were used . It also depends when the conversion was carried out. Before 2003, probably ok. After then, decidedly dodgy. It's all in the paperwork.

C15 with an 850 motor? so what? The law allows changes of engine size, I ran a B33 sidecar outfit with a hillman imp engine in for a couple of years in the early 1970's and never had any problems. Get the all paperwork right and we can do many things over here that are outlawed in the rest of Europe.
Old 30-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

yes in theory they could have called it a BSA when registering it, but if that was the case then the date of registration would have been far newer than the actual reg date, and the tax exempt clause would be a bit unlikely to remain with it since its so heavily and obviously modified, in fact theres nothing of a BSA there, except the VIN LOL

it is indeed a seriously dodgy ground at the moment, I for one wouldnt buy a trike or even a chop right now unless the V5 clearly states a different make and model to any standard machines, or ideally its on a Q plate
Old 30-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Chatter Box

If I had gone with the C15, the frame would have needed some serious mods to fit the engine - I thought it would be more bother than its worth especially as I want to keep the paperwork, that's why I've gone with a different frame. If I bolt on the trike bits will I have to get it inspected? Also if I go with the bolt on option can I get the classification changed to tricycle and still keep the vintage plate?

Last edited by irishbiker; 30-08-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 30-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishbiker View Post
If I had gone with the C15, the frame would have needed some serious mods to fit the engine
any structural mods to the main cradle, (excluding welding on small tabs etc, for, say, a bolt on hardtail), means MSVA and 'Q' plate.

simples.
Old 30-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Someone has bid 2,500 of their hard earned money for it, probably someone who has no idea there might be a problem..

seems a shame, but how many first time trike buyers would realise there is something wrong with it.

John.
Old 31-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

What is this, a cop forum...???
Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Chat Virgin

It could be registered for a rider who's a registered invalid, that would make it tax exempt!
The buyer will have to re-register it for a none invalid rider.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Chat Virgin

As a new dude to this ere forum and the dark world of trikes I would be totally lost in whats the right build, whats dangerous, how to find a decent builder who's not gonna charge the friggin earth. I ride bikes but would like to get a trike aswell. the prices are feckin well over the top, shit how comes? yeah yeah I know it's only worth what somebody is gonna pay, but 2k to me on a low wage is a hell of alot of money, so when I do get one I'd be totally fecked off if it turned out to be a pile of shite, any advice into the ways of buying a decent trike please feel free to enlighten me
Old 09-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Chatter Box

Probably the best way to find out if a certain trike (or bike/welder/tyre etc) is worth looking at, is to put details on here and get opinions/advice from people who've been there before.
There are plenty of well meaning types here, who don't want to see anyone being ripped off by unscrupilous sharks and will give you their 2p worth for free.
For 2K (or much less) I would expect to get a fully legal, sound and decent Reliant trike. But it all depends on what style of trike you're looking for.
If you're in any doubt as to the legality of any vehicle, just ask on here. We have builders, traders, MOT testers and DVLA experts all willing to share their knowlege with you for free!

Cheers, Mick.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus mickus View Post
Probably the best way to find out if a certain trike (or bike/welder/tyre etc) is worth looking at, is to put details on here and get opinions/advice from people who've been there before.
There are plenty of well meaning types here, who don't want to see anyone being ripped off by unscrupilous sharks and will give you their 2p worth for free.
For 2K (or much less) I would expect to get a fully legal, sound and decent Reliant trike. But it all depends on what style of trike you're looking for.
If you're in any doubt as to the legality of any vehicle, just ask on here. We have builders, traders, MOT testers and DVLA experts all willing to share their knowlege with you for free!

Cheers, Mick.
Good post and sound advice Mick. there are some really crap built trikes out there but legality (as opposed to lethality) all depends on the paperwork . If that's correct, then the trike is legal for all intents and purposes . Construction problems can always be solved, incorrect paperwork can be big problems.

There also seems to be a lot of confusion over VIN's. these numbers did not become standard until about 1981 so any vehicle registered before then will not have one , only an engine number and frame number. Some countries only used an engine number before then and importers usually stamped this on the frame to satisfy UK requirements. I've seen quite a few bikes (usually Soviet ones) with no numbers stamped on at all from new.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:44 AM

right now is a good time to buy a trike, look carefully and be prepared to travel, you should bag a bargain

ebay is a good source as its so widely known and used

sift through the crap and there are some bargains to be had

I saw a few bike trikes, (not my taste or standard) but registered properly, and up and running, all 3 went for 800-1400
Old 09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Chat Virgin

Default trike's

in my opinion,if you want your first trike,go for a conversion,
i built mine using a gs850,built a swingarm,sent the log book away
adding 35kg to the vehical weight,changed the taxation class,
added before and after pic's and got the book back within a month,
totally legal,i think you have to walk before you can run.
cheer's,john.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 PM

for god's sake DO NOT go for a swingarm conversion!!!

the original frame was NOT designed to take the stresses imposed by bunging a fekkin' gert axle in the back of it!!!!!

it's a fatal accident waiting to happen.

yes, i know there are some out there that seem ok, but don't do it!! it's not safe.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Hey Rob. Sometimes its like your talking to yourself. Had the same arguements with 2local guys. Both told me i know fuck all. Hey maybe they right but common sense logic and simple physics dont lie lol
Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Had the same arguements with 2local guys. Both told me i know fuck all.

darwinism will sort it out m8.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
darwinism will sort it out m8.
Yeah maybe but the more of these accidents in waitiing are about the more ammunition it gives to those who want to put an end to custom bikes.

Build them safe and legal or they may take our ball away.

Last edited by harry; 09-11-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: cornt spoll
Old 09-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
for god's sake DO NOT go for a swingarm conversion!!!

the original frame was NOT designed to take the stresses imposed by bunging a fekkin' gert axle in the back of it!!!!!

it's a fatal accident waiting to happen.

yes, i know there are some out there that seem ok, but don't do it!! it's not safe.
I think there a hell of a lot of folk out there who would disagree with you ...
Old 10-11-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I think there a hell of a lot of folk out there who would disagree with you ...
well they'd be wrong, wouldn't they.

no offence nik, but much as i respect you magazine editing skills, i certainly wouldn't be taking any engineering advice from you.

perhaps those "hell of a lot of folk" would care to explain why they think it's ok, other than for their own financial gain????
Old 10-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
well they'd be wrong, wouldn't they.

no offence nik, but much as i respect you magazine editing skills, i certainly wouldn't be taking any engineering advice from you.

perhaps those "hell of a lot of folk" would care to explain why they think it's ok, other than for their own financial gain????
None taken, mate, but in this case I think you couldn't be more wrong. I know people with conversions who've been riding them for donkeys' years without mishap. Hardly a fatal accident waiting to happen ...

I have the greatest respect for your engineering skills, but in this case you know better than every other trike engineer in the country, do you? Somehow I doubt that ...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
every one has their own opinion on the matter, but Robs statement is totally correct

Ive ridden a few of them swingarm trikes, none ever handled very well.

he is spot on that the bike frame was designed to have the swingarm rotate around the pivot point, theres no twisting force at all in the original design. the only force imposed on the swingarm mount is from the drive chain tension.

take a steel tube 5 foot long, hold it in the middle with your hands a few inches apart, then get someone either end of the tube to move it about, thats the forces that the bike frame is trying to deal with, simple leverage.

all the ones I have seen either end up splitting the swingarm, or the swingarm is built so solid and heavy that the forces are transferred to the frame and bearings, thus knocking out the bearings VERY quickly

I stand by my belief also that the only way a trike should be built is either hardtail, or IRS. I love a good looking IRS

but in all honesty I am more than happy riding a well built hardtail, with its predictable handling.

discussion and difference of opinions is a good thing
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
every one has their own opinion on the matter, but Robs statement is totally correct

Ive ridden a few of them swingarm trikes, none ever handled very well.
And I've ridden loads, mate, probably more than fifty now and the majority of them were perfectly fine. One of them, built by the guy who designed the Trike Shop and Trike Design back ends, was so easy to ride that I kept relaxing me grip on the 'bars until I was steering it at 70mph with one finger.

The only ones I've ever ridden that don't handle well are the ones that haven't had the front end modified as well. In that case, yes, they can be terrifying, but to say all swingarm trikes are deathtraps just isn't true.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM

ah, I wasnt talking about that part, I dont have the experience to make comments such as that, but my engineering background does make me see the problems I discussed

I have only ridden the type thats just got a converted rear, invariably they have added loads of sprung weight with boxes and seats, car battery etc, this results in a seesaw action on the suspension, changing front geometry and a very scary ride LOL