Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 22-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default Few faro pics ...

Crappy Iron Maiden one from Thurs night

Solar-powered motorised sun-lounger

Bloody singe-sided front ends are everywhere!

Best Strange - absolute class!

Old 22-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

Couple o' site pics

Old 22-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Banned

And ...

Old 22-07-2011, 09:53 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Bloody single-sided front ends are everywhere!
but first seen in 100% 5 years ago.

5 years, bloody hell, don't time fly!!!
Old 22-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
but first seen in 100% 5 years ago.

5 years, bloody hell, don't time fly!!!
Hank's The Fly was the first one I saw, mate, years ago. (Not in 100%, course).
Old 22-07-2011, 10:00 PM

hence the "first seen in 100%" bit.....

hows the bandit handle now you've done a few miles on it?
Old 22-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
hence the "first seen in 100%" bit.....

hows the bandit handle now you've done a few miles on it?
Fine.

Went to the Ace, then up to Berkhampsed, then the NCC Herts do (where I met Beano finally) and home the other week - about 200 miles round trip, I s'pose. Big front wheel is the only issue and, within ten mins, it's not an issue really - you can feel it at very low speeds and in tight bends at speed, but that's it.

Shock could do with a softer spring though - 's like a feckin' rigid!

Old 23-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Chatter Box

Saw Iron maiden on wednesday in glasgow.

Smelly git (brucie dickinson ) was wearing the same clothes there too
Must be an economy drive there too lol

Great pics ...and can i go next year
Old 23-07-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Fine.

Went to the Ace, then up to Berkhampsed, then the NCC Herts do (where I met Beano finally) and home the other week - about 200 miles round trip, I s'pose. Big front wheel is the only issue and, within ten mins, it's not an issue really - you can feel it at very low speeds and in tight bends at speed, but that's it.

Shock could do with a softer spring though - 's like a feckin' rigid!

mine had a 180 on the front, IIRC, try playing with the front tyre pressure, a few psi makes a big difference.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
mine had a 180 on the front, IIRC, try playing with the front tyre pressure, a few psi makes a big difference.
Okay!

I'm not too worried actually - I spoke to Steve Taylor a while ago and he predicted that it'd do what it does, said it was just a result of the big tyre. I can live with that so ...
Old 23-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

somewhat suprisingly, Iron Maiden played their gig on Thursday night, instead of Saturday night. So I suspect a few Iron Maiden fans will have got caught out. I didn`t realise iron maiden where on stage until I heard "run to the hills" being played 3/4 thru the set
The UK AC/DC tribute bank did a spendid job on the friday getting the crowd going into the early hours.
Several other "bands" did a splendid job on the saturday, the Algarve orchestra, (and I mean it was a proper orchestra), had the crowd initally puzzled. But in true Faro tradition they always have alternative acts on thru the weekend. Xutos & Pontapés headed up the Saturday night.
The bloody DJ playing the tunes on the crane thingy was a PITA as he kept playing roughly the same half dozen tunes over, and over.
The only negative news I`m aware of is that close to the site, a serious accident occured, where around 5 bikes ened up broadside into a car/van. Leaving 1 dead, and around 4 seriously injured. I only found out about it from my Portuguese friends, (in true plane crash style), As it seems due to the TV coverage of the rally, the incident was reported live on national TV, & 100`s of mobile phones where going off in the beer tent. With relatives ringing them up checking that they where not the ones involved. My condolences to those involved

I was disapointed as I watched on friday evening as several cars rolled up to the custom farm gate with bikes on trailers, but was please to note that non of them won a prize

Last edited by Peirre; 23-07-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
I was disapointed as I watched on friday evening as several cars rolled up to the custom farm gate with bikes on trailers, but was please to note that non of them won a prize
Just about everything that won prizes came on a trailer - the majority of bikes in the show were trailered or vanned in, they always are. It's down to shops bringing multiple bikes and the distances involved.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Chatter Box

would like to ride over for this one year.....
Old 23-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.I.T.C.H View Post
would like to ride over for this one year.....
i've been saying that for over 10 years.....
Old 23-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
i've been saying that for over 10 years.....
lol well clashing with chaos makes it a dilemma but cant leave my boy for that amount of time until he is a lot bigger so few years to go yet
Old 23-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

To "do faro" by bike is getting expensive, around £500 rtn for the ferry alone, fuel, camping/hotel costs etc and it soon stacks up.
Ideally you need more than 2 weeks to do the trip straight there & back. Though allowing 3-4 weeks will allow you take in a couple of other rallies either side of faro, (with time to hit the beach mid-week) there's at least 1 rally the 2nd weekend in july before faro on the route south, theres another rally the 1st weekend of July just south of Valladillod at valla del ray, theres another over near Porto the same weekend, Then on the way back to the ferry head into north Portugal for a rally the weekend after faro before heading to for the ferry. The number of Brits attending these alternative rallies number no more than a half a dozen. The welcome from the smaller clubs however is fantastic with vast quantities of food & drink Inc in the ticket price, one rally actually invites you to a local restaurant for an all you can eat/drink meal on the Saturday night.

I'm trying to find out more info on the Gois rally in august, which im guessing isn't too far from Pats.

As for kids, the Portuguese are very friendly towards children & moto clube faro do have a crech/child care area on site

Last edited by Peirre; 23-07-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 23-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Chatter Box

Me and my lad did Faro this year,won't be doing the Bulldog ever again.
Unbelievable value for money,for 45E, we got a t.shirt,a metal badge, a sew on badge, a sticker, food vouchers, a couple of condoms and you couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people organising , any problem was sorted in a short while.
This years Bulldog gate price is £70 and for that you get a wristband,that's it.
Seemingly Iron Maiden were playing their gig on the Thursday due to them having a major gig in Lisbon on the Saturday.
The only downside being that on the Sunday, they could have had the MotoGP on them there huge screens.
All in all a fantastic rally,would highly recommend it !
Old 23-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Chatter Box

will deffo consider it when my boy is big enough to sit on back of my bike
Old 23-07-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad View Post
Me and my lad did Faro this year,won't be doing the Bulldog ever again!
it's something that crops up in various convasations with people who have been Faro, usually when someone mentions the magazine adds for this or that UK event that bill themselves as "europes premier biking event" It's a matter of personnel opinion &taste what you decide is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad View Post
Unbelievable value for money,for 45E, we got a t.shirt,a metal badge, a sew on badge, a sticker, food vouchers, a couple of condoms and you couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of people organising , any problem was sorted in a short while.
The goodie bag and 2-4 meals per day is typical of most rallies in Spain & Portugal. Even the smaller rallies, who charge between €10-€25 for the entry price, it makes me wonder how they can make a profit.
Though you won`t get similar raffle tickets, and the chance to win the prizes that faro give, such as the Harley, and the Holiday to Daytona (that I won in 2006)
1 of the smaller rallies fed us on the friday at 11, 2, 5, & 9. Which was typically a hog roast or sardines, fresh fruit, bread, salad & a couple of beers. Then they layed on snacks in the night in case you got peckish. Saturday was similar feeding times plus continental breakfast & the all you can eat/drink restaurant thingy. Sunday was breakfast, elevenses, lunch, and sandwiches before the rally ended.

Last edited by Peirre; 24-07-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 23-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.I.T.C.H View Post
will deffo consider it when my boy is big enough to sit on back of my bike
You don't have to wait that long,take him on a plane,there were quite a few people with babies in prams,plus toddlers.
Not too sure taking him pillion for around 1500 miles one way is a good idea,mind you with a lid on him,it would certainly drown out '' are we there yet '',lol.
Old 23-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Chatter Box

he's three so it would be a way off as a road trip ..... guess he would like the plane and it sure beats rallying in a tent in the cold and wet here with him..... not that i generally do i only take him to the odd one or two choice rallies here..... and i then stay completely sober so is a diff rally experience to normal but still beats not going at all in my opinion
Old 23-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre View Post
As for kids, the Portuguese are very friendly towards children
Aye jist ask the mcanns ......al get ma coat....

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 23-07-2011, 08:00 PM

Last edited by rob; 23-07-2011 at 08:01 PM. Reason: double post
Old 23-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhaf View Post
Aye jist ask the mcanns ......al get ma coat....
lol.
Old 23-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Chatter Box

oh for gods sake dont i'll never leave the house again....... i feel safer taking him to biker dos than other stuff tho tis fair to say
Old 23-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Cost me 1100 quid to do it last year over 17 days (summat like 4080 mls return). Usually camping, though we did stay in a couple of hostels. It'd probablty be cheaper this year with the Portugese economy being on it's arse.

I thought it was a bit of a bargain. Wish I could affford to do it more often. It's a blast.
Old 23-07-2011, 10:10 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Just about everything that won prizes came on a trailer - the majority of bikes in the show were trailered or vanned in, they always are. It's down to shops bringing multiple bikes and the distances involved.

So, nothing to do with TUV, European Type approval and the fact that most of them aren't road legal then?
Old 24-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybiker View Post
So, nothing to do with TUV, European Type approval and the fact that most of them aren't road legal then?
Umm, as far as I know most are ...
Old 24-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Cost me 1100 quid to do it last year over 17 days (summat like 4080 mls return). Usually camping, though we did stay in a couple of hostels. It'd probablty be cheaper this year with the Portugese economy being on it's arse.
17 days is on the short side for this trip, as it doesn`t allow time for other rallies or side trips, I`d allow a minimum of 21. But most employers won`t allow staff to take more than 2 weeks leave, add into the plot the constraints of the ferry timetable and 17 days deffinately the minimum to allow. Unless you like riding very long hours. If I was riding with another forum member, he would`nt even consider going unless it was for at least 6 weeks.
Prices have gone up slightly, now that P&O have stopped running the Pride of bilbao Ferry, Brittany ferries have got you by the balls, I estimate the ferry fare is up around £100 to around £480-£550 (1 person, 1 bike, 1 cabin). Though there is a ferry from St Nazaire (Nantes) to Gijon (west of Santander).
It's an overnight ferry run by LD lines. They also opperate a "land bridge" so you could cross to the french mainland from portmouth/new haven on 1 of their ferries ride the 4hrs-ish to St Nazaire and catch the overnight ferry into Spain.
Link to the landbridge pricing using LD lines. http://www.ldlines.com/landbridge.html

The fuel costs in Portugal are around euro 1.46 -1.50 per litre which is why when I costed the price of the fuel alone for trip down (bilbao, Salamanca, Lisbon, Faro) at around £200 alone. but it is cheaper for fuel if you stick to the spanish side of the border. Unless your going to stick to the slower N roads, then theres the cost of tolls to consider, the bilboa to burgos toll is around 20 euro.

Last edited by Peirre; 28-07-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 24-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Yeah, Deffo wouldn't want to do it in less than 16 days at a minimum, if riding through France. Coupla lads that went with us last year did the Santander route and hooked up with us in Cordoba. Them boys only had 6 days off work to play with and did some daft miles a day but they still enjoyed it.

However ya do it. It's gotta be done at least once though