100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Angry Harley Davidson Main Dealers.

I should really be very happy about the fact that I have a brand new FXDB Street Bob. The bike itself is brilliant and I love it. I posted some pictures of it on another thread.

Not sure of I am being sentimental here or if I am rightly pissed off with a bunch of money grabbing cunts that don't give a shit about what they do. When I was in the motor trade I learnt very quickly that someone buying a new car should enjoy the experience. I made a lot of effort to make my customers feel really good about getting thier new car and it really paid dividends when it came to selling the customer another car.

I won't mention any names but the dealer concerned is an authorised dealer and they have a branch in Bridgwater, plus another one in Bristol. The sales guy was a smarmy little git and tried every trick in the book to fleece me outrageous amounts of money for the extras I wanted to make the bike go and look how I wanted it. (How about 240 for two braided throttle cables? PLUS fitting, PLUS VAT) He was really pissed off when I told him that he was a robbing cunt and needed to wear a mask. I got all the parts fitted at AFB in Bridgwater and he saved me well over 1000 on the extras, did a bloody good job and worked late to get the bike done for when I wanted it.

Shortly after getting the bike, I had been out in the rain on a long run. The next day I got on the bike and ended up with a soggy arse. The seat soaks up water like a sponge. I went back to the dealer and told them about it and that I wanted a new seat under the warranty. The smarmy bastard sales guy told me that the seat was not covered by the warranty. This stunning piece of customer care and after sales service was then confirmed or rather compounded by the Service Manager who told me that HD UK would not do anything about it. Until I mentioned things like TRADING STANDARDS, FIT FOR PURPOSE, SMALL CLAIMS COURT. Then he decides that he will send an email to HD UK and try to get me a replacement.

Three weeks later I go into the dealer and ask for my replacement seat. I get told it is not in stock yet as they had to send for one from HD Europe. I explained in my usual subtle terminology that I was not too happy about this and told them to get it sorted, get on the phone while I was in the delaership. The service guy tells me that they cannot phone thier head office! They have to send an email. Utter bullshit. I demanded the phone number for the head office and told the service guy that I would phone them myself. He was not too happy about that. Bastard had given me a duff number anyway. The real number was nothing like what he had given me.

I found the right number myself and explained what the problem was only to be told by the wanker I was speaking to, that the seat was not his problem! Must admit to doubting his parentage and throwing a few fucks at him.

I got a call from the service manager a bit later to tell me that the seat would be in the next day and if I had waited for half an hour they would have had an answer for me.

Anybody see a pattern forming here? Having got my money they don't give a shit. This bike is not a cheap 500 winter hack this was an 11500 brand new bike that is supposed to come with a two year warranty.

Owing to the sales guys attitude I hung onto the log book for the bike I part exchanged, telling him he could have the log book when I got my new seat. I go in to collect my new seat and get told that I have to book my bike in for them to change the seat. Labour for changing the seat was not covered by the warranty and that would be charged at 1 hours labour! The seat is held on by one fucking screw. By this time I am starting to lose my sense of humour. These fuckers are now abusing my placid good nature.

I told the muppet behind the service desk to just get my seat and I would fit it myself. Wanker then tells me that by doing this myself I will null and void my warranty. Not only am I losing my sense of humour I now want to pull his bottom lip over the back of his head, slit his throat and take a giant dump in his ear.

When I collect the new seat, the service manager hands me a copy of the email he had from Justin Holifield at the HD UK warranty Administration which said and I quote "Ok to replace the seat, but please remind the customer that the seat is porous as it is leather and has stitching detail". The seat is NOT leather and it does NOT have any stitching detail. The seat cover is cheap vynil and there is a design fault. The top panel is stitched under the side panel so the water gathers in the seam and soaks through. I make leather seats and cover other seats with vynil. None of them leak.

I now have the new seat and I fitted it myself, took all of about 2 minutes. Off I go for a ride to the clubhouse. There was a shower while I was there. When I went to go home, I dried the seat off and as soon as I sat on the bike I got a soggy arse again. Exactly the same problem.

I phone the warranty administration and tell them the problem and explain about the design fault. I got told that these bikes are not meant for commuter riding and it is a characteristic of the marque. I was rather stunned by that. I told the guy "Hang on mate, I bought this bike to ride, not to look at". He didn't want to know and didn't want to give me any names, addresses or phone numbers.

So you buy an 11500 bike and have to buy a new seat that doesn't leak because Harley Davidson can only supply a seat that has built in design faults that are a characteristic of the marque, and if you buy it from the same robbing bastards that I did, you get NOTHING in the way of customer care or after sales service.

To cap it all. I sent the log book for the part exchange bike direct to DVLA. However, the arsehole sales guy trying to be clever told DVLA that I had not given them the log book. The reason for that is because at the time I bought the bike, HD were giving an extra 1000 on any part exchange bike. DVLA have now sent me a fine of 55.00.

Does anyone agree that I have good grounds for being a tad pissed off with HD UK? Or am I being unreasonable?

Chopper.

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.

Last edited by ChopperFXR; 12-07-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Chatter Box

Location: Berkshire boy at heart, now living in sunny Northants

I know that its some years ago but I had exactly the same attitude with a Harley dealer (Again mentioning no names) but they in a town between Slough and Reading that begins with M. I had a Buell S1 White Lightning that kept cutting out every time it rained beacuse the coils where not waterproof and worse than that beacuse the coils where behind the ignition barrel at the side of the tank if you went to start it in the wet they would arc across to your wet gloves. I was told that it wasnt designed to be used in all weathers!!!

Another time after the same garage had fucked up a different piece of warranty work the clutch exploded, I was told that it was my fault as I obviously abused the bike! While I was there honest to god I saw the sales guy pick the phone up to what was obviously an angry customer, then put the phone reciever in his desk drawer and close it, every couple of minutes he would take the phone out to see if the person was still on the line and then put it back in the drawer!!!

In the end I went on Companies House website and got the home address for the director of HDUK and sent a not so pleasant letter there by recorded post, two days later Dock Gate 20 (for who I only ever had praise for) where at my house to collect the bike and rebuild it.

Most HD dealers have absolute cunts working on the sales force and unless you are a mid life crisis/born again out to buy the "lifestyle" they honestly aint interested.

Making bad taste look good!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default dealers...read Franchise...

as a small boy growing up in the wilds of nowhere close by to fuckall village and not anywhere near any city, I fell in love with the idea of Warr's H-D on the old kings road.

some 40 years later I actually got to go there & I bought a bolt: its about an inch n a bit long (tech spec. that) to bolt into the rack...they charge 1.49 for it.

i'm pootlin' through the stuff they sell & there's a bit of plastic with Warrs written on it & a ring = keyring = 3 fekkin quid, this is the kind of shit yer local dealer gives away to promote trade....3.

more recent, I'm on a packed train, standing in the bit between carriages & a dentist type spots me n asks;
"you got a harley? & says I got a Harley; (I was reading 100% at the time) I've just bought it brand new from the local dealers
I was going to buy it from X but they closed & then Y closed too so I had to travel to buy it from 'well known shop'
but there's no haggle on price but they did throw some kit in, I reckon its a price fix, I was told X & Y were closed by Harley as they tried to drop their prices" & he paid cash. no part exchange. no fuss; cash.

not to be too unkind to dentists (y'never see bike rags in their waiting rooms) but i very strongly doubt he'll be out on it at midnight on a run, coming back from seeing an old mucker or from fixing some hack so it runs for another month until pay day...

BUT, they buy Harleys, they pay FULL price & a fekkin screw at 1.49 does not phase them (you paid for any teeth work of late?)
& they will polish em, take em out on dry days & swear blind to their 'biker' dentist mates they are the dogs bollix as bikes go

but for folk who actually ride em as they were originally designed to be rode...thats WHY they get customised innit?

HD dealerships are not for you n me, they are for dentists, designed for fleecing Wild Hogs & retirees (well some of em )

Sorry to hear about this Chopper, but HD ARE just another faceless corporate money making machine run by people who are interested in the money & not you, me or any other bike riding person or bikes for that matter, Harleys to them are just 'units' to be shifted.

if they were interested, they'd be listening, changing things, charging less & would not settle until we as punters were satisfied, but they don't & therefore: they're not. Its a franchised cash machine-a reverse ATM, you n me are there to open our wallets & hand over large sums of cash.

The Harley you want; you'll build yourself & it won't be by bits from a dealership, sold by a lazy bored counter jockey fumbling thru' a catalog (sic) of bolt on 'goodies' who'd rather be anywhere/somewhere else than talking to a greaser like me...

& you know this.
& it hurts.
Because it should not be like this: 11k & they treat you like this?
In some parts of the world 11k would pay for the entire dealership to be bumped off. not that i'm advocating this BTW, just sayin'

& should some dentist come across this thread (& just what are the odds on that?) he'll just pass it by, because HD dealerships are a shiny temple to him n his mates, they love him: he takes it back for its services there, gets the little book stamped there, does his 1000 miles per year, he buys all his 'apparel' (fuck wot?) there & his cawfee n cake on a saturday 'run' there & he gets his H.O.G. Patches there & he gets a sense of belonging there too

& you Chopper?

YOU took it out in the rain. YOU are not a dentist.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 AM
Jedi Chat Master

I'm a bit more fortunate here with my main dealer. When I went in for a replacement throttle cable for my 2004 softail I was told it was an item they don't keep in stock. He then spent a good 15 minutes going through his parts bin until he found a brand new one that he let me have for free.
When I went in for a replacement seat bolt, they did have one in stock, but again it was free.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Jedi Chat Master

I feel fer yah Chopper..
I had the same crap with my Buell, as far as dealer support was concerned, It really does detract from the experience...not good..

Stay cool n just enjoy yer bike

Later
Ron
Old 12-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Chat Slapper

Chopper,

The dealer you mention is one of the worst I've ever dealt with. A few years ago I tried to trade in an old Electraglide against a brand new Springer. They told me it was too old and they weren't interested. I found a three month old Springer in a shop called Wheels International and they did me a cracking deal. Some of my mates have Ducatis and they have the same problem with that dealer, so it's not just Harleys. Best one I heard was when one of my mates had a V-Rod and it went rusty, he was told it was because he lived too close to the sea.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Chat Virgin

Chopper,

The same dealer actually nicked some bits off a mates bike when it went in for some work.
He kicked up holy fuck with, firstly the dealership and then head office.
The result ....... he was banned from using them again.
Ps/ never got the nicked bits back either.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Some main Harley Stealerships really are crap - I always go to a decent independent with my Harley, although I realise that's no use to you with a new bike.

Hope you get sorted out OK, and enjoy the bike.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Having been in the motor industry all my working life, this sort of thing makes me both angry and sad.

But why are we not naming these dealers.

They should be scared of us, the customer.

We shouldn't be scared of them. They need our money.

Last time I was in Riders I was asked to leave. Summat to do with laughing at the price of a leather jacket.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Chat Pimp and lover of the Welsh

This is exactly why i did'nt buy one last month, arrogant bunch of fuckin idiots , not a single rider between them , the only deecent guy was on the parts desk and the look on is face with his eyes rolled up every time one of these sales retards started there patter to some pig ignorant wannabe with too much fuckin money showed that they hav'nt a clue. The only problem is that a lot of these brainless sales twats have made there way to triumph dealerships trying to copy that RIDE A LEGEND crap they were taught at HD. So getting spare parts for me old speedmaster is done online now as i don't have the pateience for the snobby shit i get when i walk in with a torn and tatty used look that i have going without the intention of spending 300 quid on a new jacket. Stuff em i say , i've got 4 kids , all teenagers and expensive and have to run on a shoestring and fix things myself , new bikes are by the never never and i'm glad i did'nt buy a harley because in my ignorance i'd expect it to not require attention for at least the first year and if it did and was'nt covered by warranty , i could'nt afford to fix it. I decided to stick with me trusty old carb model triumph cos theres nothing i can't fix on it (don't need a special laptop just a good ear). I'll save my money and build myself a trike instead so i can take more than one passenger , watch this space and FUCK YOU HARLEY DAVIDSON and TRIUMPH dealers.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Harley Davidson has this reputation world wide, for very bad customer service
evern in the states, they are geared up for RUBs, not average joe biker
thats why i built both my harleys to what i want, i wouldn`t buy a new harley from a dealers, infact i wouldn`t have blow my tyres up
i have a mate who worked in a harley dealers for years, he has his own indie shop now, seems to have rubbed off on him or he was brain washed, cuz he is the same in his own shop, eaven though he is a mate none of us will use him, apart from servicing parts
Old 12-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Chatter Box

harleys are not for riding in the rain apparently arrrgghhhh what a pain in the arse eh..... growl when i moved over 200 miles my harley was due for its first service and wit a young baby i could not take the amount of required time to return to original dealership to have it done.... it was only when "he who must be obeyed" (he likes that term of referal chop) stepped in it got done more locally .....
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Jedi Chat Master

chop i have had probs with the same dealer, when i had my wide glide and wanted to upgrade it, i took it into them to have the appraisal done and they gave me a reasonable price. I then had a look round the showroom for the bike i wanted but didnt have the one i wanted in stock as it was at the bristol showroom, when i went back to see the new bike they dropped their original offer by 2 grand

Needless to say i told him to go fcuk himself, sold it privately and got a better deal elsewhere.

Now don't get me wrong i would love another harley one day when finances permit, but next time it will be bought privately preferably or at a push a decent indy
Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

can`t ride yer harley in the rain??? why the fuck not i do
do what i did, i took off the cover, wrap the foam in cling film and refit the cover, worked great
Old 12-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJphil View Post
do what i did, i took off the cover, wrap the foam in cling film and refit the cover, worked great
lol i'm bein sarcy i always ride mine no matter what the weather
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

wots wrong with waterproof trousers, till yer can get the seat thing sorted,

lets face it a "Dealer" by definition is someone whose gonna sell you all kinds of shit at a high price and get away with it.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
I ride mine whatever the weather. I think your missing the point though. I do have waterproofs. I CAN recover the seat as I make a lot of leather seats and re-cover others.

Why the fuck should I have to do that on a brand new bike?

BTW, I didn't name the dealer in case it causes a problem for the forum or the magazine.

Chopper.
PS: RIDERS OF BRIDGWATER ARE A BUNCH OF ROBBING INCOMPETANT WANKERS.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:45 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

sounds like a few other 'main' dealers I've visited. That's the kind of crap that means I'd rather make do with a 20 year old Honda. Totally agree with you Chopper. Buy new (and spend ) and you expect to get quality work and good desighn. If you were after a fixer upper you needed to do work on you would have lots of cash and time left over, not a pile of aggro off some fuckwhit salesperson. Write to Harley and point out their 'marque charechteristic' or whatever is poorer than either honda or hong dou in terms of quality. What kind of bollox is it that a bikes not for riding if it might rain, that leaves about 10 days a year to ride.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:58 PM

10 days a year to ride yer joking

it'll be 7 days to keep it clean

1 day in a dealer getting covered in Tassles and live to ride tatt

1 day outside the dealer at the local hog meet discussing chrome add on's

1 day in a recovery truck being relayed back to the dealer after they fuck up adding the add on's

Old 12-07-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR View Post
I ride mine whatever the weather. I think your missing the point though. I do have waterproofs. I CAN recover the seat as I make a lot of leather seats and re-cover others.

Why the fuck should I have to do that on a brand new bike?

BTW, I didn't name the dealer in case it causes a problem for the forum or the magazine.

Chopper.
PS: RIDERS OF BRIDGWATER ARE A BUNCH OF ROBBING INCOMPETANT WANKERS.
Calling em Riders is taking the piss

i've picked up 3 of there customer bikes

only two of em where over a day old after they fucked up

someone spent over 24,000 on a top <snigger> of the rainge Tourer Harley (that'll be Starbucks and th edealer an back then) had all the bits added pipes to make it sould louder and the wiring gizmo thingy to trick th Fool Injection into thinking it was running right

Thing was the Owner rode it home and when he got a few miles up the road the recovery wagon picked him up coz the trick gizmo thingy hadn't been fitted right so it fucked up badly enough to remove the chrome from one of the Exhausts .

.....The Following day I Picked up this Day old Bike returned it to Riders and the reception/mechanic said sling it over there mate we'll look at it in a week or so

Customer Service ahh not there it seems
Old 12-07-2011, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Seems to me that if you buy a new bike you should be able to ride it in any weather in the country that you bought it in...I feel angry just reading this thread and I've never bought a new bike for myself in my life..but it's not just the dealership that is at fault, it's the gutless trading standards department that never support the customer..

John
Old 13-07-2011, 05:39 AM
Chatter Box

Location: Berkshire boy at heart, now living in sunny Northants

Quote:
But why are we not naming these dealers.
Cos HD have a habit of sueing people if you so much as sneeze in thier direction.

Quote:
can`t ride yer harley in the rain???
Im sure you can but if I had just spent 11K (serious wedge to us normal people) only to find the seat wasnt waterproof I would be livid!

Making bad taste look good!
Old 13-07-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Seems to me that if you buy a new bike you should be able to ride it in any weather in the country that you bought it in...I feel angry just reading this thread and I've never bought a new bike for myself in my life..but it's not just the dealership that is at fault, it's the gutless trading standards department that never support the customer..

John
I spoke to Trading Standards yesterday John. According to them I have a valid complaint against the dealer and HD themselves.

Under he Sale of Goods Act 1979, goods supplied must be free from fault. If there is a problem I am entitled to a full repair or replacement. If I am not satisfied with that I can insist on a suitable alternative. If the dealer/supplier is not prepared to agree an alternative I have the right to make a claim via the small claims court.

Guess what I will be doing today.

Chopper.

Old 13-07-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deefer View Post
Cos HD have a habit of sueing people if you so much as sneeze in thier direction.

I have named the dealer mate. What are HD or thier dealer going to sue me for? I can prove my claim and am quite happy to meet them in any court in the land.

Im sure you can but if I had just spent 11K (serious wedge to us normal people) only to find the seat wasnt waterproof I would be livid!
I AM a normal person deefer. My therapist says so anyway.

Chopper.

Old 13-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Chopper.
That's right..otherwise they wouldn't let you handle sharp objects or go home weekends..

John.
Old 13-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:

Chopper.
yes you seem perfectly normal to me..... it is a lot of money to spend when you buy something with a fault grrrrrr
Old 13-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deefer View Post
I'm not a lawyer, but, To sue someone for trade mark infringement is fairly easy as at least one forum member can tell you.

However faulty goods are a "fact" that can be demonstrated.

A local firm tried to sue me for non payment of a bill.
I turned up in court with no barrister or any expensive lawyer.

I showed the court copies of letters I had sent the company complaining that they had not delivered the goods. The photo of floorboards where there should be carpet caused a great deal of giggling around the court. Oh and their barrister walked out.

If HD want to sue me fine I aint got any money so they is on a hiding to nothing, even if they win.
Old 13-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Been doing some more research. Before I send any letters I wanted to make sure I was writing to the correct person. HD seem to have a desire to hide such information from us mere mortals.

Harley UK is allegedly controlled by HD Europe. You try finding an address for the European head oriffice or the name and title of anyone.

After reading of some complaints against the company and Riders in particular it appears to me that HD have completely lost the plot as far as listening to customers.

I learned a long time ago in the motor trade as a sales manager and then as a Finance business manager, you have two eyes and two ears, but only one mouth. Therefore you should watch and listen to your customers twice as much as you talk. The first sale is the easiest sale. If you manage to sell twice to the same customer you know you got it right the first time. Basic sales skills that have never changed and never will.

Chopper.

Old 16-07-2011, 06:59 PM
Chat Virgin

Default fuck

picking up a new streetbob meself on aug 5th better keep an eye on the fuckin seat then, getting mine from the dealer in plymouth have to say they been pretty good doing a deal on the stage one pipes fwds and whatnot if you needed to go to a dealer might be worth looking at them. like the previous poster only heard shit things about this other place.
Old 16-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I learned a long time ago in the motor trade as a sales manager and then as a Finance business manager, you have two eyes and two ears, but only one mouth.
Chopper.
Something akin to what i said as a sales manager.
Two ears,two eyes,one mouth,use them in that ratio
The ones who listened made money,the rest