100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Les has been going on about this bike for ages. Good to see him finally get a chance to test ride it.
yep, its 'evolved' a lot over time.. not to mention the matching trailer

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 15-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Chatter Box

Default The sun was shining, bike's running great...

The sun was shining, bike's running great, nearly home when I went to pass a line of cars, pull out, open it up, got half way past when I lost all drive, engine was reving its nuts off, clutch felt ok, somehow got to the curb without being run over.. here we go again, the rear drive belt had gone awol, for the third time. Should I push it home or sit and wait for hours the AA? Didnt seem that far, so started pushing.. 2 miles and two hours later I made it home. Should've called the AA .. after a well earned cuppa and a rest, I went back to the scene of the crime, to look for the belt, just to see if it gave any clues as to why it had snapped. I found it no problem, and this is what it looked like.. a clean break with no sign of stone damage anywhere, cant cope with all that torque I guess. Now I have to decide if I want to fit another belt and risk it going yet again, or convert to chain ? I think its time for a chain, at least if they fail, I wont have to dismantle half the bike to fit a new one..
Attached Images

Old 29-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Chatter Box

Default Another test run...

The TDM chop is intended to be used for rallies and touring but its not exactly good for carrying much luggage, and Les the owner didnt want a rack on the rear guard. So from the start the frame was built with a QD rear hoop and tow bar, to pull a mono wheel trailer.

Here's a couple of short clips showing Les on his first test run with the trailer attached. The first is with just the frame,. while the second shows the car roofbox it was built to carry...

http://youtu.be/6sE7OtKeb0c

http://youtu.be/hHAwc7P_WWk
Old 29-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Chatter Box

Default Slow progress with the 127 chop

I didnt start off wanting to build a hardtail chop, as I got the Ulitma El bruto 127 inch motor and 6 speed box at a good price, I couldnt say no. The original plan was to build a drag bike to run in the Super Twins series, and with that in mind, a cheap and cheerful rigid frame was shipped over from Mid West. This frame was to be chopped to widen the rear triangle and lower the headstock to suite the drag strip. However when the frame turned up, it was surprising well made, and everyone said I couldnt cut it up, it was too nice.. and I had to agree. Soooo over the following months, I slowly collected a few more parts I needed... starter, coils, wide glide front end, and a pair of lovely 80 spoked wheels, with Stainless spokes. Its a slow process, and I'm not really sure I'll end up keeping it, but started it, so best finish it...

The mustang tank and bars, risers were fitted as I had them to hand, but I'm thinking some kind of stretched XL tank may work better.
Brake calipers are from a Ducati 996 and floating discs are Russell left over from a previous project.
Progress of a sort with my 127 chop, finally mounted the rear guard, the struts are made from stainless bar. Not sure if a curved strut would've looked a bit better, may have to re-do it sometime. Also want to make a couple of small plates to sit behind the strut and guard to spread the load, in the a shape that mimics the axle covers. Also made the lock stops for the forks, nothing fancy, just a couple of shaped pieces welded to the headstock.
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Default I recognise that tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterB View Post

that's the 3rd chop that I know for sure that tank's adorned - good to see parts being reused
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Instead, last week I paid a visit to Cam Coat in Warrington http://www.camcoat.com/main/site/ , not far from me, and had a good chat to the owner. The prices on their website or well out of date, but he worked out the price to ceramic coat my exhaust which came to about 130 plus Vat, thats for the slightly more expensive cermakrome finish, which looks like polished alloy to me rather than chrome. Their turnaround is between two to three weeks, which is no good to me as I want the bike back on the road next week. Instead I'm going to polish the stainless system and wait till the winter to get it ceramically coated.
Dont get too excited, i had some heat shields done, promptly gave em away to a mate cos they weren't going anywhere near my bike looking like that, like a piece of coke (as in coal, not nose candy), a feeble shade of grey, and feeling exactly like 400 wet & dry to the touch. He had to paint em with VHT paint before he'd put em on his bike.
The pipe fitted to the bike already on this pic is Vance and Hines standard finish, which i was less than happy with.
Until i saw Camcoat's feeble effort.
Stick with PJ1;

Old 01-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff View Post
Dont get too excited, i had some heat shields done, promptly gave em away to a mate cos they weren't going anywhere near my bike looking like that, like a piece of coke (as in coal, not nose candy), a feeble shade of grey, and feeling exactly like 400 wet & dry to the touch. He had to paint em with VHT paint before he'd put em on his bike.
The pipe fitted to the bike already on this pic is Vance and Hines standard finish, which i was less than happy with.
Until i saw Camcoat's feeble effort.
Stick with PJ1;

Loving the finish on yer bike Taff, can see why the coating pissed ye off, looks like bbq paint. Bet it's not fuckin cheap either?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Chatter Box

Default ceramic coating

Not decided yet, the stainless exhaust is going off to be polished this week, if it looks ok then I'l not bother with ceramic coating. I wouldnt go for the black finish in anycase, but the cermachrome finish instead..
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Chatter Box

Today fitted converted the 131 from belt to chain drive, all going ok till we came to the front pulley nut, we had a 1 7/8 socket, but that was no use with the output shaft being in the way, and we didnt have the correct HD tool either. So after trying out a couple of options, I had to buy a new socket, slice it in half and weld a tube between the two halves. Eventually the nut gave way, it was bloody tight. That done, we got the chain aligned ok, but we werent happy with the rear sprocket spacer, so having me mate Jeff make me a better version which will look and work better. While that was going on, I took the the stainless exhaust downpipes to be polished and started on a better support for the megas, as the original was made in a hurry and wasnt quite right.

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Chatter Box

With the chain and sprockets now on the bike, it looks like it may hit the swing arm during use, it may be ok, will have to try it out, but it'll be close either way. In which case, its swing arm out and either cut back the swingarm a touch, or make a couple of nylon slipper pads to mount to the swingarm, top and bottom and maybe a jockey wheel too .. this bike building lark is never easy is it
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 30-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Chatter Box

Default all done.. for now

For once I got lucky (makes a change) the chain didnt hit the swing arm in use.. Finally rode it home today, its been awhile as it needed a new battery, which was under warranty, so had to wait a few days to get a free replacement. In the meantime the downpipes were polished, and look miles better now. I didnt get the 'silencers' polished as they arent too bad and I can polish them myself if I dont end up having the whole lot ceramically coated, still cant make my mind up about that. I couldnt tell any difference between having the belt and the chain drive, if anything its smoother. The next job will be to make an external bearing support to bolt to the rear sprocket, but that can wait till the new year, and maybe a chainguard too.

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Old 30-11-2011, 10:19 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

i had my exhausts done in ceramic. bike sat in my shed for a few months while i wrestled with wiring issues

fell off the fekking downpipes on the first run on it............. looked good on the rest of the exhaust though..... (was the wrinkle finish re did it with worth engine paint and it lasted longer than the ceramic and was considerably cheaper too)
Old 02-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Chatter Box

Default A nice pair finished

Went over to see Jeff today and drink lots of tea, and found the two drag bike wheels were all done now, nice arent they,

Last edited by MisterB; 19-06-2013 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:52 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Those wheels are lovely , and if they are manaully machined a lot of time has gone in to them...
Old 03-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by addjunkie View Post
Those wheels are lovely , and if they are manaully machined a lot of time has gone in to them...
yep all the work was done in a shed, using an ancient miller and lathe..
Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Chatter Box

Default New project

It feels like its been raining forever but after a lot of searching, finally found a new project, paid for it today.. gonna strip it down and build a cafe racer out of it, hopefully have it all done by the spring. I pick it up next week, cant wait ..
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 13-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Chatter Box

This is the seat/tank that I'm getting with the bike, needs mounts making on the frame etc, I'd prefer the bike red, but the paintwork is too good to change for now..
Attached Images

Old 13-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Need to Get out More!

that guzzi has serious potential, love my caff racers! is this gonna be a full on shiny shiny job like your harleys or are you just gonna get it together and on the road?
Old 13-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteHaddock View Post
that guzzi has serious potential, love my caff racers! is this gonna be a full on shiny shiny job like your harleys or are you just gonna get it together and on the road?
I hope I can do both ! Plan is to get it on the road by April/May, but it'll be done right, no bodges.. I dont work anymore so this should keep me occuppied for a while. Just ordered a pair of Dellorto velocity stacks and Tarozzi rearsets, was going to make a set but for 175 it isnt worth it. I've done a few Italian restorations over the years, but never a Guzzi and never a cafe racer, so this should be an interesting project.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Chatter Box

Default slow progress

Been busy working on the bike, first a few bits and bobs that I ordered have arrived.. the Tarrozi rearsets and velocity stacks from Dellorto, which fitted ok, they are fairly short as I wasnt sure how much clearance I had..

I've stripped the electrics and lifted the frame off the engine, which meant I could get on and remove all the brackets and tabs that wont be needed. That wasnt too difficult but it still took a full afternoon to do. I also cut out the rear tank mount and moved it forward a couple of inches to allow the LM tank to fit. The biggest problem I had was with the top shock mounts, as I knew they had been damaged and needed to be replaced. This job turned into hours of work as I had to cut brackets out of the frame make up new ones and weld them in place. Then new shock mounts had to be machined and welded to the new brackets. Good job I was owed a few favours, as I couldnt do all that by myself.
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Chatter Box

I removed the rear bevel box and cleaned it up, then used that as a test to see how the engine/box would look if painted. First I used a tin of Smooth hammerite for non-ferrous metals as an'undercoat' (as normal Hammerite doesnt tend to work on alloys). That didnt look too bad, but having to use a brush meant the finish wasnt as good as I wanted. So then I sprayed on a few light coats of 'normal' smooth Hammerite which ended up looking not too different from bare alloy. I may use the same process on the rest of the motor and gearbox
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:55 AM.
Old 24-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Chatter Box

Not made much progress recently, as its been way too cold in my workshop and I've had a small health issue which has stopped me doing as much as I'd like. However, I've been slowly plodding on with the Guzzi cafe racer and a couple of other bits and bobs too.

First, my old Honda CB400/4 is now all done, and looks pretty good too, hope to get some better pics later, this is one I was sent not long ago..

The frame of the guzzi has gone off for powder coating this week, for a change I'm using not Triple S, but a place a bit closer to home, they were recommended by Z-power, fingers crossed they do a good job..

I have spent countless hours stripping the old paint from the motor, wheels etc.. I used Nitromors, but now it's some new formula which is green, and doesnt give you third degree chemical burns .. all well and good, but its rubbish, nowhere near as potent as the old stuff, and it seems the shops dont stock the original anymore.

I was thinking of painting the frame myself, using trusty smooth hammerite, but having started on the swingarm (because I didnt want to risk damaging the bearings as they really need to be removed before powdercoating)... well, the swingarm was pretty rusty, and by the time it was done, I'd spent nearly thirty quid on paint, so I decided there was no way I was going to do the whole frame..

One thing I like about the Guzzi, is the way its been built in a very simple way, it all comes apart easily, with no fiddly assemblies or crosshead screws which refuse to come out. There's also some interesting touches, like the brass filler caps, which polished up nicely.

I did hit a problem with the carbs, both had their choke plunger seized solid in the carb body, which turned out to be a right pain to fix, but got there in the end. When the frame comes back from the powdercoaters in a week or so, I can start to build it back up again.
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Chatter Box

The frame should be ready for collection from the powdercoaters this week, in the meantime, everything seems to take a lot longer than I expect, but thats ok, theres no rush. For example these fork caps needed work, god knows how they got to be so battered, but they looked awful, especially with clip ons, as they wouldnt be hidden beneath the bars anymore..

So with no money for replacements, I cleaned up the tops by taking a bit off in a lathe, then cleaned up the faces by hand, took ages lol, just needs a few minutes with a polishing mop and they'll be done..

The wheels and brake discs have been cleaned up too, with new Bridgestone tyres...
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Chatter Box

Today I popped over to see Bill, an old chap I know, whose skill puts mine truly in the shade, when he's not building miniture steam engines, he restores old flat tankers like this 1926 Sunbeam.. This one was dug up out of the ground in some old scrap yard, there wasnt much left when I first saw it last year, it was just a pile of rust.. Bill made the tank, bars, brass caps, levers etc all in his little workshop, and painted by hand too..
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
First, my old Honda CB400/4 is now all done, and looks pretty good too
Where's the drool button? That's immaculate.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 11-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Chatter Box

Default Supercharged Z1000

Popped over to see my mate and admire his new workshop, his supercharged Z1000 has been rebuilt over the winter with new bigger pistons and slightly higher compression and a flowed head too..

He's still debugging it, but here's a brief video of it firing up..

http://youtu.be/tOi5iMudxIg

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 14-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Chatter Box

Default Back to the plot

Back to the plot, my ongoing Moto Guzzi cafe racer project... I collected the frame today from Vanden nr Bolton, overall I'm happy with the quality and the price (80). Except for two little problems, one was my fault and one was theres..
First they forgot to mask off the swingarm thread, so now I've got to find a suitable tap to clean it up. Second was down to me, I'd left the original chasis number plate on the headstock, when I should of ground off the rivets and removed it before powdercoating. You live and learn, the frame number is still just legible, but the plate has curled in the heat of the oven. Think I'll remove it and see if I can remove the powder coat without damaging whats beneath, which could be tricky, and if not I'll just make a new one.
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Old 14-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Chatter Box

Since everything was nice and clean, I layed out the frame and Swingarm in doors and put the tank and aftermarket seat unit on the frame. The Lemans tank is fits fine now I've sorted out its mounts, but the seat unit doesnt really work, whether its moved backwards or forwards..erm..be a shame not to use it as its been painted up nicely, but think I'll have look around for something else..
PS the cuppa was just there as a weight to stop the seat from falling off.
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 15-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Chatter Box

I was lucky today, I popped around to a local engineering company who I use sometimes, and by chance they had the correct sized M20x1mm tap. Only took a few minutes to clean out the swing arm threads, and I got a nice cuppa too
Attached Images

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 23-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Chatter Box

I've been pondering how to get a reasonable finish on the motor, now all the old black paint had been removed. I could paint the cases, but would prefer to leave everything in its raw state, apart from the barrels which will be painted satin black.

The other day, a mate suggested I a chemical cleaner, which he reckons works wonders on engine cases. He did warn me thats its pretty potent stuff and I need to be careful using it.. He brought me a container of the magic potion to try, and judging by the number of R&S phrases on the label, it needed to be treatied with respect. I'll let you know how I get on..

Last edited by MisterB; 08-04-2014 at 03:04 AM.