100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 17-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Observations from the side of the road

I broke down today just past Tesco near Garforth on the road to J47 of the M1, slight issue with brakes and the wheel nuts making a bid for freedom.

While at the side of the road I noticed something, the majority of the motorcycling population seem to ignore one of their own.

I may ride a trike but I consider myself a biker.

In the hour spent on the road side a considerable number of motorcycles passed me yet only one group of bikers and one bloke in a car acknowledged my presence at the side of the road and asked if I was OK / needed anything / if they could help in any way.

From my experience, if you see a fellow biker at the side of the road, you stop and help, or at least acknowledge them as me and any one else on here would.

My point is that I would like to say thank you to those who stopped and acknowledged me and to those who ignored me.........

Trainee(D)
Old 17-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

The sun is out therefore there is a massively higher percentage of power rangers out there who couldn't give a toss.

I always stop and see if some one needs help unless they're one of the roundabout warriors.
Old 17-04-2011, 06:27 PM
Need to Get out More!

Default been there

been there it was a scooter that stopped for me out near tadcaster years ago loads of the summer scarborough riders (ninja's) passed me,
guess you got the squire's lot how times change i remember ? when
bugger what do i remember,
should of given me a ring i would of come out or gone and got you bits
Old 17-04-2011, 06:28 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Hope you get your wheels sorted. I never understood why so few stop these days if someones broke down. Ok If I'm on the way to work and running late I'll not stop cos I'm working shifts where I'm late in the poor bugger who's meant to be going home gets stuck in work which fails to ammmuse at the end of a 24 hr shift. But excluding the oh fuck, gotta rush work scenario I pretty well always try to stop if someone looks like they broke down - If nothing else I can offer sympathy though I do tend to carry a few tools on the bike. About half the time it turns out the bikes pulled over for a piss or a fag though.
Old 17-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I try to stop for any bike stopped at the roadside, mostly when I stop there is nothing wrong they're just waiting for someone..sometimes I don't see them until it is too late to stop and with heavy traffic on a dual carriageway you can't turn for a few miles..I've even got to the next roundabout and done a five mile detour to get back, only to be told they are ok..You feel such a prat.

John.
Old 17-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

It is the old debate,are that having problems or stopped for a fag,a piss to wait for someone?
Someone once suggested that a biker in need of help should park the crash helmet at the back of the bike,behind the rear wheel.
Leaving no doubt that some help would be of use,even if it is only the loan of a mobile .
Wish that idea was used more
Old 17-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Jedi Chat Master

i try to stop at every occurence..... worst case scenario , they've stopped for a piss or a fag, at least you've met someone new, n maybe reminded them that they should do the same if needs be........
like the helmet idea, seems like a simple and elegant solution (cept for them funny trikies )
Old 19-04-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
It is the old debate,are that having problems or stopped for a fag,a piss to wait for someone?
Someone once suggested that a biker in need of help should park the crash helmet at the back of the bike,behind the rear wheel.
Leaving no doubt that some help would be of use,even if it is only the loan of a mobile .
Wish that idea was used more
thats a very good idea...
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 19-04-2011, 09:55 AM

On a similar but less ambiguous note, if I'm thinking I'd like a hand and am broke down then lifting the seat is a pretty clear signal all is not well in the breakdown senario, a bit like lifting the bonnett on your car and quite easy and effective on most bikes, though not all, I'd have a problem with both my more modern 125's so possibly only effective on my aging 70's bikes
Old 19-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Trikes are just 3 wheeled cars with nae roof, they have no relation to motorbikes, IMHO.. therefore what are we discussing this in a BIKE forum?

Later
Ron
(Nae compromise!!)
Old 20-04-2011, 07:31 PM

We stop even if in the car............though some look at you as if your mad.

I suspect now that many dont stop as they cant help you anyway with all this new fangled fuel injected balh balh plastic bikes that, you need a laptop and a degree in sycometeorksnfjkafy or summat to fix.

And for trikes my other half always stops coz hes a clever bugga and can usually sort them out. Trikes are special ya see Ron even if there just for special needs and window lickers.
Old 20-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Need to Get out More!

Default trike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress Maker View Post

And for trikes my other half always stops coz hes a clever bugga and can usually sort them out. Trikes are special ya see Ron even if there just for special needs and window lickers.
yes you could have it there trainee cater's for the rally persons special needs with all his flavoured vodka, quantro jafa cakes, & his pump god help all who drink from his pump they are usualy found in the middle of the field next morning he need s a trike to carry all the concoctions,
Old 22-04-2011, 01:43 PM

flipside to this, and for the record i always stop, even now when im in the works van, anyhow, i once saw a guy pushing a bike off the southbound ramp of the m6 at the kendal junction, it was raining and going dark, i was heading north, in the van on a callout to penrith, anyhow, 2 hours later im heading south and decide to just run up the ramp and back on the motorway at that junction to see if he was still there, he was, covered in oil trying to fix a very dead z400 chop. so i stopped and asked how he was doing. he was going to his mates house having left glasgow and being bound for somewhere near stafford, i recconed he was onto a loser, so, as i lived in preston and had room in the van i said i would take it to mine and give him a lift, he, as he had no breakdown cover, had a mate with a pickup wh was going to head north to collect him, so i told him to arrange to meet his mate at j31 of the m6 and i would relay him the 50 odd miles to there. we got the bike in the van, and i took him to preston, his mate was delayed so i took him back to our house, the mrs made him some tea and he warmed up a bit, had a brew and then his mate called to say he was 5 minutes away, so we hot footed it the mile or so to j31, and met his mate, unloaded the bike and strapped it into his mates pickup. whilst i was sorting the tie straps out in the back of my van, he and his mate jumped in the pickup, started it up and fucked off. no thanks not even a fucking handshake, i could have left him at kendal and added another 2 or more hours to his trip and left him in the cold, but the cameraderie of the bikers that we oft hear told was a bit lacking from him in this case. ive done the same for other folk since then but never cease to be amazed by the guy i met that day!

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 22-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukiron View Post
Trikes are just 3 wheeled cars with nae roof, they have no relation to motorbikes, IMHO.. therefore what are we discussing this in a BIKE forum?

Later
Ron
(Nae compromise!!)
Wotcha.

Read the title of this forum again - I'm sure it says
"!00% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums"

FFS Ron, change the bloody record.
MOONSHINERS M.C.C.
Old 22-04-2011, 04:03 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

I always stop, pull over to at least make sure they are ok, the plastic briade just cant comprehend it, often get a reply of, what you want LOL

I once was in a mate pickup truck, moving all my tools to new house, saw a nice kwak chop deffo broken at side of very busy road near my place, pulled over and jumped out, the rider was patch wearing and just gave me attitude, I asked if he needed a hand, was told to F off LOL

so me and 2 roll cabs full of tools and a truck bed of random parts went on my way, return trip maybe 6-7 hours later, bike was still there.
Old 22-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post
The sun is out therefore there is a massively higher percentage of power rangers out there who couldn't give a toss.

I always stop and see if some one needs help unless they're one of the roundabout warriors.
Same here.

OK, he might have stopped for a piss/fag break/give the back a chance but so what?

Power rangers can piss off. They don't stop for each other so why should I bother?
Old 22-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

People really don't, do they? Was sat at the edge of a mainish road this morning with a split oil cooler and a fair number of bikes went past of all kinds - Harleys, cruisers, plastics, 'normals' and not one o' them stopped, not one.

Only person who did stop was a fat bloke in a Merc while I was on the 'phone to the AA.

Old 22-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

I was ran off the road by a couple of guys in a van on wednesday. They were speeding down a country road on the wrong side round a bend....my choice was to become a hood ornament for a merc sprinter.....hurl myself at a barbed wire and wood fence or head for a gravel filled dip/ditch at the side of the road.

I slid on my right side over some old concrete and tarmac to a stop, and turned to see the buggers drive off.
I managed to pick the bike up and then sit for a while to gather myself.Fix my broken boot clasp....check bike over...swear alot....add up the cost of repairs.....swear some more...and count my blessings.

Eight cars and two vans passed and no one stopped ! sad....

I will always stop.And have met some really nice people. Brough superior the other day with sidecar, that had its frame tube used as a reserve tank !

Last edited by Beano; 22-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 22-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
flipside to this, and for the record i always stop, even now when im in the works van, anyhow, i once saw a guy pushing a bike off the southbound ramp of the m6 at the kendal junction, it was raining and going dark, i was heading north, in the van on a callout to penrith, anyhow, 2 hours later im heading south and decide to just run up the ramp and back on the motorway at that junction to see if he was still there, he was, covered in oil trying to fix a very dead z400 chop. so i stopped and asked how he was doing. he was going to his mates house having left glasgow and being bound for somewhere near stafford, i recconed he was onto a loser, so, as i lived in preston and had room in the van i said i would take it to mine and give him a lift, he, as he had no breakdown cover, had a mate with a pickup wh was going to head north to collect him, so i told him to arrange to meet his mate at j31 of the m6 and i would relay him the 50 odd miles to there. we got the bike in the van, and i took him to preston, his mate was delayed so i took him back to our house, the mrs made him some tea and he warmed up a bit, had a brew and then his mate called to say he was 5 minutes away, so we hot footed it the mile or so to j31, and met his mate, unloaded the bike and strapped it into his mates pickup. whilst i was sorting the tie straps out in the back of my van, he and his mate jumped in the pickup, started it up and fucked off. no thanks not even a fucking handshake, i could have left him at kendal and added another 2 or more hours to his trip and left him in the cold, but the cameraderie of the bikers that we oft hear told was a bit lacking from him in this case. ive done the same for other folk since then but never cease to be amazed by the guy i met that day!
That has got to be the height of ungratefulness John it does make you wonder sometimes why do we bother? but like you John I always stop to assist and most of the time they are thankful for some help no matter how little. I don't know about anybody else but I have always carried a comprehensive First Aid Kit and Fire Extinguisher on all my bikes and I have used the fire extinguisher twice now once about 4 years ago on a car that was alight on the M2 Motorway just past Ju 4 and recently I helped stop a guy from losing totally his Honda Goldwing that had caught alight in Maidstone Services on the M20, he was most appreciative and replaced the Extinguisher for me, so although some people can be arseholes I will always stop for anyone in distress because I would like to think that in the future they will reciprocate and stop for someone else..
Old 23-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
Same here.

OK, he might have stopped for a piss/fag break/give the back a chance but so what?

Power rangers can piss off. They don't stop for each other so why should I bother?
Could you define "power ranger" and "roundabout warriors" please, especially as I occasionally wear one one piece leathers, with a matching helmet on my ZZR1400. I didn't realise that if you don't ride a sports bike that made you better than anyone else.

Really makes my blood boil when people on here conterminously stereotype anyone in a set of leathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
People really don't, do they? Was sat at the edge of a mainish road this morning with a split oil cooler and a fair number of bikes went past of all kinds - Harleys, cruisers, plastics, 'normals' and not one o' them stopped, not one.

Only person who did stop was a fat bloke in a Merc while I was on the 'phone to the AA.

As Nik siad its all types, not just "roundabout warriors" or "power rangers".

As above the couple of times I've broke downa and been waiting for the AA, no one stopped, guess its because I'm a power ranger then on my the ZZR1100 and FJ1200, in my scruffy leather and jeans
Old 23-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default its not a fekkin 'right'

its not a fekkin 'right' to have some fekker better prepared than you to stop n give assistance....

& i speak as someone who has had side of the road help & a big Ups to those who stopped. thank you.

by better prepared I mean that person with a toolbox, the person with a can of gas, the electrical tape, the wherewithall (that you plainly don't fekkin have) who stops to give a hand.

those that don't stop are like you: not a fekkin clue, so, ease up on the whining & recognise that when someone does stop: its a big thank you & for those that fly by with nary a nod: thats you that is.....not a care in the world & no help to give....

BTW: to the blokie in the power ranger kit I stopped for in bridport, dorset on tuesday night, who wasn't broken down & just having a fag & did the oh by the way where's stonehenge?

buy a fekkin map next time you go wandrin'.

(& as fer trikes, you fekkers got space to carry the shit u need so whats your excuse?)

Last edited by mickturate; 23-04-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: fat fekkin fingers
Old 23-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Jedi Chat Master

I stop I always do.
And honestly I only get attitude from the chop ridin leather clad types whom the ones I no ride in the summer apparently its the image. I'm sad becuase I ride a k75rt all year and there not cool lol.
I know lads on so called power ranger bikes that cover in excess of 20000 year they honestly dont understand this divide in the biking community?

Its like this if your a cunt it does not matter what you ride but boy gotta tell real bored of the mid life crisis lets get a biker hard image bunch coz there the ones who rub me up the wrong way.

Ive had rigids bobbers superbikes all that and really enjoy them but right now am skint need something reliable and cheap to run and there aint much that will touch a k75 for fuel economy and winter weather protection!
There is a new breed of leisure bikers who dont really undertsand the biker ethic if thats what you want to call it but for my part they just look at you dumbfounded they annoy me becuase they ride like twats and I even lost leg because one but I dont tar em all with same brush.

I sincerely hope that if I ever break down someone will stop for me becasue this bmw too heavy too push

john.
Old 23-04-2011, 09:30 AM

Stop whinning dear. (mickturate)
Its an observation not a demand. It is sad nobody has the time to enquire on anothers well being.
Nothing more.
Old 23-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Banned

i had similer prob in hurstgreen east sussex. 12 bikes went passed. an hour later a bloke in a car went passed. he came back. gets out in a shirt and tie and said "what can i do to help". he helped and went on his way.
i have noticed that most poeple down here are just in a rush to get form a to b yesturday and not always ignorant

a club i used to hang around with left me in the middle of know where despite me helping them with tools and traffic ect. they later said they dont help any one unless there in the club. i do not share my respect with them any more. i have tools and little knowledge of thearea. i will stop for any biker. if i cant help with there bike/trike, they may want fags ect form the non local shop.
im in a car at the moment, the biker is within at all times.
Old 24-04-2011, 02:04 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

fuck, that sounds like a shit club you hung around with contail.
and jabba, i havnt ridden a standard bike for over 20 years and am leather clad but anytime someone has stopped for me ive always been greatful so please dont tar all us chop/bobber riders with the same brush.
its nice to be nice
Old 24-04-2011, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba View Post
I know lads on so called power ranger bikes that cover in excess of 20000 year they honestly dont understand this divide in the biking community?

john.
I'm with them on this, I don't care if they ride a 50cc Chinese scooter or a VN2000, they are all bikers..different horses for different courses..

I prefer the cruisers to any other bike, mainly because that was the only type of bike available when I started and I still find it the most comfortable riding position. With me it's just a matter of which one catches my eye..

At the moment I am rather drawn to the 1100 Dragstar, looks good, easy to handle, comfortable to sit on..just the bike for a tired old man..

John.
Old 24-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
At the moment I am rather drawn to the 1100 Dragstar, looks good, easy to handle, comfortable to sit on..just the bike for a tired old man..

John.
who?

as in who on this forum fits that description: that you'd want to buy a bike for....?

if pushed, I have one or two contenders!

Ps. Beano, wot i rote: not about you 'dear' so stop worying that pretty little head.........
Old 24-04-2011, 10:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmv3WlKa6U8
Old 24-04-2011, 10:17 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post

I'm putting myself as 'jack' many thanks beano.....

ps. you doing the Paignton BMAD (how apt) show, Skyra or Predators M.C. next weekend?
Old 24-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Could you define "power ranger" and "roundabout warriors" please, especially as I occasionally wear one one piece leathers, with a matching helmet on my ZZR1400. I didn't realise that if you don't ride a sports bike that made you better than anyone else.

I'm a power ranger then on my the ZZR1100 and FJ1200, in my scruffy leather and jeans
Power Ranger. Rider of a sports bike, clad in bilious one-piece leathers, + or - matching lid, usually found infesting known 'biker roads' at very high speed and (sometimes) in control/the right side of the road.

Whether your impressive list of tourers qualifies, I've got my doubts. It's a mindset as much as anything.

The reason they get stereotyped as prats is because a considerable number of them are.