100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 17-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Default legal info for mot

just after a bit of info realy. ive got a 1979 gsxr1100 chop.

my light switch is on the electric box on, off and main. very easy to flick on and off ect its not hidden or anything. also i have a custom exahaust. its not stamped or anything like that and when baffled its as quiet as your regular quiet bike.

for some reason i have a lot of trouble getting it mot'd down sussex. they say it wont pass cuz of the light switch and because the pipes arent stamped.
2 shops wouldnt book it in because it didnt look like the factory model and the only shop that did pass it said he wouldnt pass it again because the seat was to low and the bars to far away (he said it would be dangerous to ride. he only passed it because he dropped it when he rode over the scales.

never had a problem in brum (but thats a bit far for an mot). any help would be realy appreciated.
thanks
ps. im looking for slaby exhaust just for the mot
Attached Images

Old 17-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Chatter Box

have a ride around all ya local and not so local m.o.t. centres,have a quiet word with them and find out which are the ones sympathetic towards customs.

Never heard of anyone not being prepared to m.o.t 'cos the seat is too low or too far from the bars w.t.f. or for the light switches not being on the bars.

There will be someone somewhere,you may just have to try harder to find them,good luck.

Failing all of the above,sell it to me,lol.

Shad makes mental note NOT to move darn sarf !!
Old 17-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Smaller local bike shops should be able to point you in the right direction for the more sympathetic testers.

If the tester couldn't reach the bars he's a short arse, the bike is set up for you, not him.

I've had refusals for switches not being on the bars before, I just took my money elsewhere.

Some times people just read too much into the rules.
Old 17-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Banned

cheers guys. yeah the big shop said they couldnt mot because it wasnt all there and that it wouldnt comply with the mot standards crap, because parts of the bike is missing and not to factory spec. the guy who motd it said the switches had to be mounted on the bars with in a certain distance of the grip. he then tried to explain why a gsxr 11 engine is wasted in a chop. he then rode the bike forward of the scales and dropped it. he was a short arse.
ok i will shop around and try not to loose my patients

cheers
ade

Last edited by contail; 17-04-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: adding image
Old 17-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

must admit the only one of the 3 i'd be concerned about would be the high low beam switch position.
Old 17-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

The mot only states it has to work .... ! as far as I can make out.
There are plenty of old bikes where the light switch is not handle bar mounted ! ....even a puch maxi has the slide switch on the top of the light !
Was it sva'd after it was chopped ?
I would take it to an independant.....somebody that mot's trikes and custom bikes.
The garages below MOT trikes and have a knowledge of intresting vehicles !

East Sussex :
Ron Young (Motors) Ltd,
Units E4 & 35 Meridian Ind Est,
Hoyle Road,
Peacehaven,
East Sussex
BN10 8LW

Bassingstoke :
Village Garage
Farleigh Dene,
Farleigh Rd,
Cliddesden.

Basingstoke :
Kent : URALMOTO (UK) LTD,
UNITS 9-11 BLUE CHALET,
WEST KINGSDOWN,
KENT TN15 6BQ
TEL:- 01474 855662

Kent : Bredhurst Garages Limited
Forge Lane
Bredhurst
Gillingham Kent
ME7 3JW

Wokingham : Finchampstead MOT Centre,
Unit F
Weller Drive
Wokingham
RG40 4 QZ
Old 17-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Banned

the switch is a largeish dip off and hi toggle and never been a problem in brum.
Old 17-04-2011, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
The mot only states it has to work .... ! as far as I can make out.
There are plenty of old bikes where the light switch is not handle bar mounted ! ....even a puch maxi has the slide switch on the top of the light !
Was it sva'd after it was chopped ?
I would take it to an independant.....somebody that mot's trikes and custom bikes.
The garages below MOT trikes and have a knowledge of intresting vehicles !

East Sussex :
Ron Young (Motors) Ltd,
Units E4 & 35 Meridian Ind Est,
Hoyle Road,
Peacehaven,
East Sussex
BN10 8LW

Bassingstoke :
Village Garage
Farleigh Dene,
Farleigh Rd,
Cliddesden.

Basingstoke :
Kent : URALMOTO (UK) LTD,
UNITS 9-11 BLUE CHALET,
WEST KINGSDOWN,
KENT TN15 6BQ
TEL:- 01474 855662

Kent : Bredhurst Garages Limited
Forge Lane
Bredhurst
Gillingham Kent
ME7 3JW

Wokingham : Finchampstead MOT Centre,
Unit F
Weller Drive
Wokingham
RG40 4 QZ
nah. she wasnt sva,d didnt need back then. everything was done by the book though. and my mate worked for the mot and he said "if its fitted it has to work". i think if i have any problems i will just bite the bullet and fit the proper light switch. as for the pipes. im watching a standerd one on ebay. not sure how im gone fit the bloody thing under the bike. cheers beano they sound like just the ticket.
Old 17-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Creature

teh light switches - dont have to be fitted to teh handle bars - but they need to be in a sensible usable place. Until recently all my switched inc teh horn were on my electric box just under my seat.

Theres nowt wrong with your exhaust as it is before the cut off date for stamp regulations - but tey can refuse or fail if they consider it too loud.

But every MOTer has his own thoughts on how the MOT should be and some are stricter than others in some areas.

I would have a chat with any locals who own custom bikes/trikes and see who they advise try or avoid.

As for travelling for MOTs - We dont have any where local who does MOT's anymore So I take mine to Mansfield some 60 odd miles each way - luckily for me the Transit has its MOT at teh same time so bike goes in the back

When you find a good MOTer whos happy to mot your bike then talk to him, ask his advise and keep him on your side
Old 17-04-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

thanks creature. will try the ones that beano said and maybe take cakes too.
cheers all for your advise etc
Old 17-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by contail View Post
thanks creature. will try the ones that beano said and maybe take cakes too.
cheers all for your advise etc
If you're taking cakes you can come to me..

I can't mot your bike..but I can eat cakes..

John.
Old 17-04-2011, 08:11 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

so are you running the gixxer plate on it, or a 'Q'?
you say 'you didn't need to back then'..... in fact, you did, but no one bothered, and the police turned a blind eye.
but now, as far as the ministry/any jobsworth copper is concerned, if it's still on the original plate, you're riding a ringer and it will, at some point in the future, be seized and quite possibly crushed.
you need to read up on the 'points system' for registering a modified vehicle....
basically, if you modify the cradle in any structural way you need to MSVA it and get a 'Q' plate. lopping the headstock off a frame and welding it onto a hardtail counts as a structural mod.... in the gixxers' (ally) frame situation, stamping the gixxers numbers onto another frame is blatant ringing.
i know it's not done for nefarious purposes, and we all used to do it, including me, but you just cant get away with it any more. you will be refused an MOT, (as you are starting to find out....), and your insurance will be invalid, even if you've listed the mods, because the vehicle is not correctly registered. there is no '10 year rule' or similar, you've created a 'new' vehicle, and need to register it properly, or you'll loose it.

sorry for the downer, but better to know now, before plod have your wheels, and you're up for ringing....

and this goes for every custom out there running a modified cradle/headstock swap/re-stamp.
Old 17-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

sadly Rob speaketh the truth, as much as it hurts to have to admit that things need to be done properly, its a lot better than losing your ride

and just think about it, once its regged properly with a Q plate, who knows what it will turn into each winter rebuild

although strictly speaking the MOT centre have very strict rules in place, they cant refuse to do an MOT on the grounds you mention, and the issues that the testers have mentioned are personal opinions, not genuine reasons for failure

however, get arsey with them and your only going to lose, both MOT and cash.

MSVA is actually a doddle when you look at it properly, and is pretty much a license to mod it to your hearts delight once regged.
Old 17-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Fortunately my GS chop frame number matches the one on the frame, it's not a genuine Suzuki number which means the frame has been registered through the correct channels. This means I can hack all I want now!!!
Old 17-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

I am reliably informed by my most excellent friend in Seaford that South Coast Motorcycles in Newhaven is a splendid place to get your custom bike mot'd.

South Coast Motorcycles

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "

Last edited by Grav; 17-04-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 17-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Jedi Chat Master

over and above all the mot and sva bullshit........... FUCKIN NICE BIKE MATE.....!
Old 17-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
you say 'you didn't need to back then'..... in fact, you did, but no one bothered, and the police turned a blind eye.
but now, as far as the ministry/any jobsworth copper is concerned, if it's still on the original plate, you're riding a ringer and it will, at some point in the future, be seized and quite possibly crushed.
you need to read up on the 'points system' for registering a modified vehicle....
basically, if you modify the cradle in any structural way you need to MSVA it and get a 'Q' plate. lopping the headstock off a frame and welding it onto a hardtail counts as a structural mod.... in the gixxers' (ally) frame situation, stamping the gixxers numbers onto another frame is blatant ringing.
i know it's not done for nefarious purposes, and we all used to do it, including me, but you just cant get away with it any more. you will be refused an MOT, (as you are starting to find out....), and your insurance will be invalid, even if you've listed the mods, because the vehicle is not correctly registered. there is no '10 year rule' or similar, you've created a 'new' vehicle, and need to register it properly, or you'll loose it.

sorry for the downer, but better to know now, before plod have your wheels, and you're up for ringing....

and this goes for every custom out there running a modified cradle/headstock swap/re-stamp.
This has made me think about the legality of my own chop,the frame number on the v5 matches the frame number on the headstock,and the engine number matches too,but when I get insurance,I get told my bike is a gs750,the v5 simply states :Suzuki
Engine capacity:750

the engine in it is not a GS,its a gixxer750, am I now to believe I too am riding foul of the law ??
Old 18-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

the answer is simple, is the frame a standard GS750 or is it modified?

answer yes and your blind, obviously it isnt.

answer no and go directly to MSVA test, do not pass go, do not collect 200

this is another one of the reasons that recently so many chops arent making the money people think they are worth, word is spreading and gradually people are learning, that just because we got away with it in the past, it cant last

in my experience, if its heavily modded and the frame nuber doesnt start SABTV then its probably not regged properly, there are the obvious ones that will be different, pro built frames where the builder has their own prefix, but generally most people have the VIN issued to them by the DVLA, if its on a Q plate then alls good

Last edited by devon-tony; 18-04-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 18-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

cheers rob.

ok im going back a bit now. i got the gsxr1100 around 1996. it hadnt been registered in the country yet. i bought a 1979 gp 100 frame and book. registered frame with bigger engine, numbers and letter explaining etc. got new book back no probs. built bike. had no probs with insurance or mot in brum.
i get pulled quite regulary and also arrested on the mayday run in hastings (car hit me, driver admited everything they tried to nick me for criminal damge ect but i still got record). bike was checked over by several different police. still nothing said. maybe im just lucky at the moment.

i will look into msva thing but to be honest it all seems expensive and foreign. and i know it sounds daft but i didnt want to lose the plate or gain a q.
cheers kajir, its having a rebuild at mo because rich uninsured driver drove into it.
right then cheers guys. feel a bit deflated at the mo. but thanks all the same for all your imput and time

Last edited by contail; 18-04-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 18-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post

sorry rob forgot to mention. the chop is on the gp100 plate "v"
Old 18-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Banned

just a quick question. do i need indicators. front mudguard (i have a large fork brace. mot bloke said that was fine). and can i keep my one off exhaust if i make it realy quiet. other than that. my bike is usualy safe and sound and checked regulary.
cheers ade
Old 18-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Chat Slut

Send a message via ICQ to Mash Send a message via Skype™ to Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature View Post
As for travelling for MOTs - We dont have any where local who does MOT's anymore So I take mine to Mansfield some 60 odd miles each way - luckily for me the Transit has its MOT at teh same time so bike goes in the back
Cannt believe you go all that way Creature...What about Nocton Heath on the A15 ? Has Jubilee Garage at Colsterworth packed up ?
Old 18-04-2011, 08:43 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

As for indicators it goes on the date of registration:

Quote:
Motorcycles first used after 1/4/86 required to have direction indicators.
Wire wool is really good for damping down exhaust noise.
Old 18-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post
As for indicators it goes on the date of registration:

ha ha. i did that back in brum. packed it full round the corner. just about started in the shop. when it blew the wool out the bloke just said "sounds nice. if it doesnt make me wince its ok" i still use the wool though just out of respect.
and i do have direction indicators. my arms, hands and fingers can tell drivers more than bulbs can lol

i am trying to read the msva stuff but it might aswell be in a different language.
Old 19-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Years since i lived in Sussex but there used to be a tin shack round the back of the garage in Partridge green that was good for MOT's. Young kids got everything iffy pointed out to them and set packing to sort it before he actually ran a test - older riders were treated depending on how he felt you maintained your bike
Old 19-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post

If you want cheap baffle packing go to your local cheap car exhaust place, Kwik Fit etc, and ask if you can have an old silencer box out of the skip. Get a couple if you can and when you get them home, cut them open and remove the baffle packing from them and transfer to your bike exhaust. Costs you nothing but a spot of elbow grease and lasts longer than wire wool.

Grav
used to make car exhausts.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 19-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Nice chop by the way.
Old 19-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

cheers wurzel. i dont know where that is but i will ask about. im just north of battle (by the indian bike shop).

baldybongo i know the place you mean. road from etchingham to there is a good blast. i only have a horn and starter button on the bars. i will have to keep a look out for you when im on the road.
im currently driving an old green hyundia at the moment. it leaks like my old beeza, sounds like my old 750 and goes like my old moped. bloody hell i have a cool car.
cheers grave im actualy making a twist in and out baffle. i dont want to creat to mutch attention at 4am every morning lol.

would like to say thanks to you all. you ve all been a great help and hopefully i can be on the road this year and even catch up with some of you.
before i go. just want to mention. my bike no longer has the multi changing colour paint. its red with claw marks now.
Attached Images

Old 20-04-2011, 06:07 AM

just a thought...
posting up lists of "friendly" MOT centres who turn a blind eye to stuff they shouldn't probably isn't the best idea in the world......

we're not the only ones who read these boards, i think PM's would've been better......
Old 20-04-2011, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contail View Post
sorry rob forgot to mention. the chop is on the gp100 plate "v"
well it's certainly not an un-modified GP100 cradle with a bigger engine in, is it......

MSVA it. get a 'Q' plate. if you wanted to sell that without a 'Q', it's pretty much worthless. 'Q's don't have the stigma they once had, on a chop, a 'Q' is a good thing nowadays...... and once it's MSVA'd you don't need an MOT for 3 years.

you will loose it if you don't do something.
maybe next week, maybe not for another 5 years, but it will happen.