100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Default Biker politics cost charities money

Bear with me, this may be a bit long-winded but I’ll arrive at the point eventually.

Newly formed MCC in a previously neutral area sandwiched between the two ‘opposing sides’, shall we say, planned and organised a custom and classic show for Bank Holiday Monday to promote the club locally and to raise a bit of money for two charities. Wanting to make a go of it, the event was advertised in 2 of the leading magazines dedicated to custom bikes. During a band night at the pub used as a meeting place, things were said by 2 ex-members of an over-the-border MCC (who are official support for one side) that unsettled the landlady, to the point that she invited these 2 guys to come to the meeting last night to ‘advise’ us on security.

Halfway through the meeting, they trooped in giving it the good guy/bad guy routine. The bad guy really started acting the arsehole, criticising the club, its members, its intentions, really being offensive and obnoxious. He started trotting out the line about how the club didn’t do the right thing and discuss formation with the local MC, when in fact both sides had been informed and were ok with it. He then proceeded to pull out his mobile, dropping as many names as he could fit into his diatribe, and proceeded to contact various Sgt-at-Arms, or as he preferred to call them ‘enforcers’ – yes, carry on with the intimidation bit why don’t you. He made the club president speak on the phone to one of them and explain the situation, while constantly telling the club that they didn’t want the ‘wrong sort of people’ to attend the bike show. Well from where the club were sitting him and his masters were exactly the wrong sort of people. In fact, it was due to a lack of communication amongst the 2 chapters of this MC over in the neighbouring county that the problem had occurred. The closest chapter had been consulted about the club starting up, but hadn’t told the other chapter who were the ones who saw the ad in the magazine, put 2 and 2 together and arrived at 5, and decided to throw their weight around. According to bad guy, some of this particular chapter want to branch out and form a chapter in this county, possibly using this town as the base, but also threatening to form it in the county town where there is a pub run by a member of the other side and is seen locally as the start of that side’s ‘turf’. After a couple more phone calls, including good guy who was obviously uncomfortable with the way his colleague handled things, the club members have been invited to meet the S.A.A of one of the chapters (don’t know which one, don’t really care) next Tuesday for a beer and a chat and a clear the air sort of thing. Bang goes the attempt to remain neutral.

Now to the point.

As the club are obviously unable to stop anyone from attending the event, rather than risk any public disorder the event has been cancelled and the 2 charities concerned (the Air Ambulance and Help for Heroes) will now lose out on much needed funds. Ok, it may only have amounted to a couple of hundred quid or so, but every pound raised makes a difference. This shit sticks in my craw. I know about the politics, I know that it’s just the way it is, but that doesn’t make it right.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Chatter Box

Location: Berkshire boy at heart, now living in sunny Northants

If you wanna swim in the pond then you have to watch out for the big fish.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

I can see how you might feel hard done by..and things sometimes aren't quite as easy as they should be..what is it they say about no plan ever surviving the design stage..but it hasn't cost any charities any money.. not unless the charities had paid for the rally..

John
Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Interesting. I live just down the road from you in Newmarket and am a member of a local MCC. Would dearly love to know who this involved as I have had issues in the past that have had to be dealt with. PM if you want. Will gladly give help/advice if required.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Chat Slapper

Should have got up slapped him and shoved his phone up his arse.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:18 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Sounds to me like somebody's got delusions of grandeur, and wants to crawl up somebody's arse till he needs a plank tying to his boots stop him falling in.
It's not the MCC's job to decide who comes and who doesn't, it's the patch clubs' jobs, to either go or not go, depending on which game they wanna play. If the other club doesn't like it, then they can turn up and take it out on the alleged trespassers, not the event holders. Unless they're too scared to do this, and would rather bully the MCC.
Personally, if this guy was not a member of either major club, he had no place discussing their business.
One good fist is worth a thousand words.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:34 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Hmmm have to agree wi Taff... a swift boot in the jorries works wonders. If you have it sorted with the local MCs then its nobodies business.

If they still have a problem let them take it to the local MC they might get a bit more than a swift boot for speaking on behalf of the MC club.

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 03-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Jedi Chat Master

A bit more info since unearthed from a usually reliable source.
The mouthy bloke used to be pres in the London chapter of one of the clubs of the other side of the political divide (I'm trying to keep this as anonymous as I can as I obviously dont want to antagonise anybody being as I'm geographically stuck right in the fucking middle) but his tenure came to an end due to some action or misdeed I've yet to unearth, and was accompanied by a bit of a kicking by all accounts. He then became a somebody in a recently much-discussed club up near Lowestoft, before re-appearing several years later as part of this support MCC over the border. Quite when or why he left them is unknown but he now seems to be going around as a semi-official mouthpiece for them. Certainly he seems to have all the right numbers on his phone and is confident enough to call them up and babble down the phone to them.

If he'd stuck to the original reason for his visit, to 'advise' us on security and make sure there was no face-off take place, then I think we'd all probably have listened to what he had to say. It was the way he stormed in, giving it the big 'I Am' from the off is what put people's backs right up - if he is indeed any sort of official or semi-official mouthpiece for that club then all he's done is portray exactly the sort of image they'd prefer not to have. He made it quite clear that he will be inviting his chosen side into town on a regular basis to establish one of the pubs as 'theirs' (not the one we were at the other night by the way) and hence give them their first official chapter in the county. He was very disparaging about the 'other side', possibly as a result of the kicking he received, but on the occasions I've came into contact with them I can only say that I've been treated well - certainly better than we were treated on Tuesday night.

John, I hear what you're saying about the charities not actually being at a loss, I hadn't thought of it like that. All I could see was a way of raising much-needed funds being killed off in case of trouble, and it boiled my piss.

Anyway, I guess we'll hear what the S.A.A has to say when he visits us next week. Hopefully, if handled with the appropriate respect, we may be able to get our point across about the PR damage Mr Gobby's attitude has done. It's too late to rescue the show now, we've pulled the ads from the mags and used the ubiquitous social networking channels to advise potential visitors that it's cancelled.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Of course it is always best to speak directly to a member of the MC concerned. Underlines the reason why it is often best if you wish to join a club to look at an established club, rather start one up from scratch.

I reflect on past experience when I was member of an MCC, and we had a chairman that had been a biker for many a year, was respected in the scene, and had the wisdom to know who to speak to and how, when we had the occasional bit of bother from support clubs, who claimed to represent one of the MCs. And our MCC was in a neutral area between 2 MCs, and was associated with neither, a position that served us well... your tale sounds familiar...
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TektroG View Post
Of course it is always best to speak directly to a member of the MC concerned. Underlines the reason why it is often best if you wish to join a club to look at an established club, rather start one up from scratch.
Both the club founder and myself were part of an established club, but decided that as there wasn't a club in town (we were in one based 40 miles away) that it was high time one was started. We tried to do it properly by consulting with the two nearest MC's but we still seem to have come a bit of a cropper due to a mixture of chinese whispers and a lack of inter-chapter communication.

C'est la fucking vie I suppose