100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 20-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default Old wreck.

I've got an old rat of a bike and the clutch wasn't working, plenty of fluid but no action, so I stripped the master cylinder, loads of dirt and corrosion but relatively clean fluid. Cleaned it all up with a tesco scourer, an old toothbrush and Lidl's malt vinegar..looked great so I started on the slave cylinder, got two of the allen head bolts out, but the third was solid, bent two allen keys, soaked for a week in WD40, tried vinegar, even tried drilling and using an easy out in the end I had to get a mate to weld an old spanner over the head and work it out with vinegar, the slave cylinder was full of solid shit, once again the vinegar bought it up like new.. Had to order new bolts so while I'm waiting I'll strip the clutch plates...Oh no I won't..Not just the usual nut and lock washer..special stepped lock nut..so I'll just change the oil..The filter is almost rusted right through, well the bike was made in 1986, there is so much corrosion around the sump plug that I have to give it a good soak..need a 21mm socket for that, but I don't have a short one and I don't fancy my chances of not rounding it off with a plug spanner..Would you believe it, not one in the town.. scrubbed around the plug with more vinegar and searched the house..I found a Lidl's foldable wheel nut spider, fitted like a bought one and was long enough to reach past the exhaust so that I could drain out the tar..I decided to replace the DOT 3 fluid with Dot 4 so now it's fingers crossed while I wait for the bolts to arrive..Tomorrow I'll go over the bike with WD40 and a toothbrush..Oh and I'd better tax it soon.

John.
Old 20-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Chatter Box

Good luck with that.
Old 20-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Actualy I would quite like to see a vid of all this...
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 20-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Jedi Chat Master

What bike is it I like a good restoration story
Old 20-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, no video, I thought about it because it was so bad but then I just got on with it, not even a photograph.

And it's not a restoration just things that have to happen to make it keep going, back brake shoes replacement will be the next job.

It's a 1986 Honda VT700c just to ride about on while my Vmax is off the road.

John.
Old 20-02-2011, 12:43 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to odie

Common fault on the VT700 was the hydraulic clutch slave, down on the left engine case, near the gear lever, seals go and they seize.
Also check the water pump, mechanical seals go (mine did and blew the engine, could not find a pump anywhere), seals are part of the pump and cannot be replaced, will need new pump if it goes and engine needs to come out to do the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Spares are a right cunt to get, dave silver had a few bits but not very many.
Engines when running are absolutly stonking.
fun bit is getting it into 6th for the first time and thinking the engine has a buggered oil pump, a red light comes on, only the overdrive light but not what you expect, i thought the worst and stopped and of coarse as i changed down the light went off, kept doing this for 5 miles till i clocked it said "OVERDRIVE" under the light!!!! lol
Old 20-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Location: Romney Marsh...like Wales but flatter and the sheep don't keep looking over their shoulders!!

John, that sounds like something I've dragged out of the back of my garage.......take your pick 2x VT500, 1x CBX750, Cagiva roadster, Italjet kiddies trialy, FJ11!! good luck
Old 20-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Phil, it was in a garage here for a few years, I got that and a 1984 one, the 1986 one has just passed the MOT so that's the one I'm working on, just not easy to ride without a clutch, I suspect the previous owner just filled it up with new fluid to last though the test. I'm going to blast the carb air intake with some petrol redex to give it a bit more chance, throw a new air filter on and take it out for a short run, about ten miles, then twenty and if it runs ok without overheating or any other problems I'll start to trust it.

John.
Old 20-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie View Post
Common fault on the VT700 was the hydraulic clutch slave, down on the left engine case, near the gear lever, seals go and they seize.
Also check the water pump, mechanical seals go (mine did and blew the engine, could not find a pump anywhere), seals are part of the pump and cannot be replaced, will need new pump if it goes and engine needs to come out to do the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks odie, As you can see from my post I've done the slave cylinder..but the water pump..what is the easy way to check that, I suppose I could just disconnect one of the hoses to see if it blows out but is the pump connected to a thermostat or sensor that makes the pump come on only when the engine is hot..

John.
Old 20-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Location: Romney Marsh...like Wales but flatter and the sheep don't keep looking over their shoulders!!

I know the no clutch feeling only too well, I've just had to rebuild my vmax slave cylinder too!
Old 21-02-2011, 08:06 PM

The pump is on the left hand side of the engine, just infront of the gear lever, level with the lower frame rail, there is an over flow hole if the seal is gone water flows out, they get blocked with crap so make sure it aint blocked, it has a very very small hole about1mm / 2mm dia,
the pump is driven via a long shaft that runs through the engine, peg type drive on the end of the shaft.
Only thing electrical in the circuit is the fan thermo switch, turns fan on when temp gets high enough.
Suggest also checking the master cylinder as well if you have checked the slave and you still are having no luck.
Hope this helps
odie
Old 21-02-2011, 08:12 PM

Just as an after thought, anti freeze, use the pink / orange silicate free stuff you can get from "Halford", blue stuff rots / eats the seals in the water pump!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_229902

I ran mine on 100% anti freeze, same stuff in it for 4 years no probs
Old 22-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the heads up odie..no point in reinventing the wheel, done the master cylinder as well..but now I'm thinking of swapping the forks with the 2004 one, it's got higher bars, original clocks and twin disks..

I can take a bit more time now, I get my beloved Vmax back soon.

John.