100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 16-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony
Default anyone know anything about triumph trophy 1994

looking for a cheapy bike and a few come to my attention. (car just been scrapped and need transport)

this ones got 38k miles on it, generally good condition, but Im wondering if there are any common faults, or is it just a few miles away from a known major fault?

never owned one of these, and know nothing about it, in fact its probably the most modern bike I will have owned LOL
Old 16-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Chat Slut

I know a few guys with trophys and they rate them.

I found this, which also seems positive.
http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews68774.html

They're a bit too tall for me personally.
Old 16-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

If it has 38k on the clock, the troublesome starter motor clutch will have probably been replaced and updated. The original silencers are prone to going quickly too and the throttle and speedo cable have a tendency to snap without warning. Apart from that, they're rock solid as they were greatly over engineered. I have two Tridents (every thing the same except the Trophy has a fairing) and a Trophy (which has been chopped. Ongoing project) and I love them. One of the Tridents as just died (the main power lead to the ignition switch has snapped somewhere in the loom) and it has over 100,000 miles on the clock. I'm taking the engine out, giving a quick check up, re-painting it and using it for another project I have in mind. The only other thing I can think of is that, if like me, you like to do vast distances between breaks, they are a tad uncomfy but nothing too crippling. Buy it and enjoy

Oh, I'm 6' 1" and they fit me perfectly

Last edited by Mortis; 16-02-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 16-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Oh, it's not a problem but you would be wise to find a pair of the three spoke wheels and front brakes plus upgraded master cylinder and discs (rear brakes are same) from the later models. The rear is a 17" and fits straight in. Trying to find 18" tyres is a nightmare.
Old 16-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

ok thanks for the info, Im 5'10 5'11 ish, will go and have a look at it, just wanted as much info in advance before wasting fuel to go and see it.

seller is old by the sound of it and while not vague, hes not exactly thorough in his descriptions LOL

yeah mate its all neat and tidy, lovely bike, then 5 mins later, oh did I mention that its got some damage on right hand side? LOL he admitted its top heavy and he dropped it

trying to find a bike worth having for 600-700 quid is a nightmare, in fact trying to find any bike for that price is difficult, even any old shitters
Old 16-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Jammy sod..

John.
Old 16-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Oh yes, they are top heavy and have a tendency to "drop in" to corners but, once you're used to it, you won't notice.
Old 16-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Chat Virgin

my sisters husband had a brand new 1200 trophy years ago when they first came out and loved it it got nicked in the end he says the original pipes rot badly! i doubt theres many left with them on now though there very quick in a straight line and the build quality nuts a bolts etc was good compared to jap stuff the mpg wernt to bad for a big bike sounds like a lot of bike for the money
Old 16-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

my mate has a 1200 se going for a grand if your interested.....

does need some work though....
Old 17-02-2011, 08:08 AM

cheers, a grand is well over my budget and certainly couldnt afford to do any work on it

did the 160 mile round trip last night in a borrowed van, looked great from a distance, didnt look too bad up close, but exhaust was wafer thin, once running it was sweet, I love the sound of these engines, but when starting it, it sounded like someone trying to grate a lump of steel in one of them old fashioned mincers that you bolt to the table.

given it a bit of a wide berth for now.

looks like an old XJ600 is for sale in my village, will go see that instead

thanks for the help guys, but as usual if something looks too good to be true, then it usually is
Old 17-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
I love the sound of these engines, but when starting it, it sounded like someone trying to grate a lump of steel in one of them old fashioned mincers that you bolt to the table.

given it a bit of a wide berth for now.
Yes, that is the starter motor clutch I mentioned. it's a fairly straight forward job and any competent mechanic should be able to do it.
Old 17-02-2011, 12:41 PM

aha that did pop into my head. while I expect to have to do some work, due to my budget, I would like to try and keep it to simple or cheap work LOL

theres an XJ600 naked divvy thing in the next road to my house, bit tatty, streetfighter attempt, but apparantly he only wants 400 for it, recent tyres, chain sprockets etc

will go see that tomoro
Old 18-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Jedi Chat Master

still got the zx10 tony