100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 20-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

It might be thin shitty steel, but it is ideal for under-tray's and panels etc. It's thin gauge is offset by it's light weight and it is a lot easier to shape than the thicker gauge sheet you used on the seat/tail unit. It might look ropey now by your standards, but when you have given it the benefit of your paint prep skills it will be more than enough to handle whatever the North Atlantic can lob at it.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 20-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Should be alright when finished yeah. Once I get it bolted up tight I can smooth out some of the curves a bit, etc.

End of the day though its just an undertray that will be getting pelted with stones off the loose shingle roads round here every few seconds. Doesnt have to be best looking thing in the world as long as keep stones/water out of electrics under seatpad. Not like anyones gonna see it unless I run em over and theyre loking upwards. Just me being bloody perfectionist again.
Old 20-11-2010, 04:41 PM

There's nowt wrong with wanting your pride and joy perfect, harris. It's the difference between a good looking bike and a dogs arse wi' a hat on.

Old 22-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Welded some nuts to some little tabs cut from scrap offcuts, welded them to underside of seat unit, etc.

Bolted up with little 8 little domed M5 bolts n looks about right. :-

Little gap at back for LED strip rear light of some sort when make on on rebuild. I`ll make up and weld in a bit of plate to mount it on before strip down.:-

Couple small bits I want to bend about and trim slightly, but an hour or two next few evenings neatening things up should take care of the little bits n bobs. Can then can get onto making templates for other panels which will be a breeze compared to seat unit. Lol.
Old 23-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Pissed about in garage tonight with scissors n scrap cardboard for an hour tonight. Bit rough n ready start to mocking things up, but itís a start. Stuck a printout of my initial paint doodle up on the garage wall to give me something to work from. Lol. Mudguard and swingarm panels pretty accurate tho. Fairing top half of side panel just first draft as such so long way from final shape. Gives me a rough idea tho to work from.:-

Mudguard has a flat sections at sides which are ideal to mount my additional panels to for a flush fit. Trim back length a bit though to yellow line for more stubby/minimal look. :-

What I really need to do is take the trike out of the garage so I can stand back from the bike with a clear view to work out shapes/angles of the fairing panels in relation to the seat lines/nose fairing, etc. Get a better mockup done next few evenings if get a chance.
Old 24-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Another Ĺ hour or so of pissin about n beard scratchin tonight. Fairing panels reduced in size a lot, n angles looking not far off between all the bodywork panels. Tryna get all the bikes lines close to perpendicular with each other. Other side exact copy of this side as alternator cover far chunkier that other side of engine. Same mounting positions for panels also in couple places. Will need to make up few mounts tho, but fairing panels will be solidly mounted in 3 points as per original HUGE fairing.

Looking a bit closer anyway. Fairing panels only 2 pieces, but had to tape together bits of scrap card in pics so looks like 3 pieces. :-

Planning on leaving it open at front of fairing panels. Keep that whole industrial/geometrical look rather than try panel everything in. Some nice radiator/cooler covers, etc will keep things neat behind there.

Little bit going on swingarm at back right size/shape, but cant mount it till bike rebuilt I think tbh. Taped on randomly at moment. Plan was to make mounts off hugger mounts, but may have to sort mounts when putting bike back together tbh. Swingarm angles going to be different.

Angles need to flow with rest of bike, but Im planning on lowering back of bike slightly when rebuild it all. Back end of bike is good 3-4Ē higher over stock as got a ZX12R shock in back of bike as nice n firm for 2-up use. Just that couple inches too high n makes front end pretty twitchy at low speeds on wee mountain roads round here when on by myself. Been that way for bout 10,000 miles but gonna make new dogbones n lower by 2Ē at back on rebuild as just that bit too twitchy n feels like front wheel wants to tuck in sometimes.
Old 25-11-2010, 10:22 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Been watching this and completely admiring it so far but.......

I'm not sure on the 'trout mouth' type of gap between the proposed fairing and the existing frame.

Just my thoughts though.
Attached Images

Old 25-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Was planning a folded over section to cover radiator top n meet frame on final design.
Old 25-11-2010, 01:48 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Ah, I see..
Old 25-11-2010, 03:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

I think it's going to look great - really futuristic.
Old 25-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I think it's going to look great - really futuristic.
Cheers bud. Just tryna do something different with the old workhorse. Different look for no dosh. Better than throwing money at it on shiny bling parts I reckon. Knew that 4 years getting drunk at Uni on a design course would come in handy one day.
Old 25-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Jedi Chat Master

More beard scratchin tonight. Lol. Wedged the bike more upright, and shoved my trike out garage door couple feet so could step back n get better view of bike as a whole n get some pics to look over.

Iím likin it tbh. Pretty inline with initial doodles n look Iím after.:-

Added on some little folded over sections to top edge to fill in gap to frame and neaten up radiator top, etc. :-

Taking the side shot into photoshop I drew on the lines of the panels n theyre not that far off perpendicular. Few degrees here n there but nothing to lose any sleep over. Only area needing attention really is the lower section of the side fairings where the lines are majorly off. I`ll chop n tape the adjustments tomorrow night n should be pretty close then to final shape.:-

Getting metal up here on island impossible yet again, as per everything else. Lol. Looking on Egay for some aluminium sheet and thinking I`ll be going for 1.5 - 2mm sheet to be reasonably flex free once mounted to bike, yet easy enough to form folds/curves in. As long as stick to a maximum of 500x500mm sheets they can be purchased and sent up here to me cheaply enough by normal mail, without paying more for courier charges than the metal itself! Just measured biggest panel of side fairing n can get out of a sheet 450x450mm so just inside. Lol.
Old 26-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not a lot today tbh. Adjusted angles on bottom section of fairing that were slightly off. Looks a bit better now:-

Ordered up (2x) 500x500mm alloy sheet off Egay. Went for the 2mm thickness in the end so nice n sturdy n solid. When that comes through I can start chopping out the panels n bending them about, etc. My first expenditure. Lol. Cant remember exactly how much, but was under £20 inc delivery up here anyway.

I`ll get front mudguard chopped down and couple of new lower fairing mounts made up (old ones rotten) in meantime so ready to go once alloy gets here.
Old 27-11-2010, 03:07 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Definitely garage weather up here today n yes that 5.5 Ė 6` wide strip of loose stone shingle is the main/only road to main island. lol. Gritterís donít come to a lot of smaller back roads up here as tend to end up on theyíre side in ditches, etc. Makes for interesting driving. Lol. :-

My hearse is under there somewhere.:-

Weekend so spent few hours in garage sorting out rotten/snapped fairing mounts. Fairing mounts are integral part of oil cooler and lower radiator mountings on this bike. Got some of them unbolted, but the rest were rusted solid into on orange blob so had to be ground off and remade. Some of the junk.:-

Remade the steel brackets supporting the oil cooler, etc. Heat from welder n grinder sparks very welcome on my hands. Lol. The alloy parts were heavily corroded and couple snapped lugs, but managed to grind off and re-tap the main boss to M6. Should be fine as lower mounting for fairing sides.:-

While chopping out rot I peeled back the rubber cover on the radiator fan thermostat switch. Contacts green n completely rotted out. God knows how many years the switch/wires havenít been doing anything.:-

Tried to spin radiator fan n thatís rusted solid too. Saying that the fans never had to switch on in the 11 years Iíve had the bike. Temperature gauge barely moves on bike. Never that hot up here n no traffic or traffic lights to be sitting still in. Straight 80mph+ cruising everywhere on empty roads up here. Fan will be getting binned come strip down for sure. Dead weight literally. Lol.
Old 27-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued...........

Chopped couple inches off front muddy too. Bit rough n ready, but doesnít need to be perfect till get to bodywork prep n paint.:-

Stack of rough panel templates brought in.:-

Gonna draw out more accurate ones on paper over weekend ready for aluminium sheet arriving n can get chopping.
Old 27-11-2010, 09:07 PM

It must be cold, the fingerless gloves are on.

Old 27-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Chuffin freezin bud. Even my little chubby fingers are gettin cold.
Old 28-11-2010, 02:08 AM
Super Moderator

If that's four years and a degree, then it was worth it..

You do good work.

John

P.s I hope you got a great job at the end of it.
Old 28-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
If that's four years and a degree, then it was worth it..

You do good work.

John

P.s I hope you got a great job at the end of it.
Never used my degree really bud. Got offered a few design jobs, and a navy defence contract. Something about 4 guys interviewing you and one of the questions being "Do you have any moral issues with designing weapons of mass destruction?" that put me off. Couldnt help but laugh at that one.

Ended up moving waaaay north n doing long line of manual labour jobs till eventually pursued what Im good at which is arty guff. Do airbrushing full time (www.pitstop-paint.co.uk) making burger flipping money, but I enjoy it n happy in me work which is worth more to me. My wifes supportive n doesnt mind skint biker lifestyle so cant complain really. Building bikes is just a hobby as dont drink/smoke so need summit to do up here. lol.

Rather be happy n skint than a miserable rich fecker.
Old 28-11-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris View Post
Never used my degree really bud. Got offered a few design jobs, and a navy defence contract. Something about 4 guys interviewing you and one of the questions being "Do you have any moral issues with designing weapons of mass destruction?" that put me off. Couldnt help but laugh at that one.

Ended up moving waaaay north n doing long line of manual labour jobs till eventually pursued what Im good at which is arty guff. Do airbrushing full time (www.pitstop-paint.co.uk) making burger flipping money, but I enjoy it n happy in me work which is worth more to me. My wifes supportive n doesnt mind skint biker lifestyle so cant complain really. Building bikes is just a hobby as dont drink/smoke so need summit to do up here. lol.

Rather be happy n skint than a miserable rich fecker.
I can't knock it mate, look after your wife she is a gem. Mine was like that and I always made sure there was food on the table and a warm room to eat it in.

John
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Been waiting best part of 2 weeks now for my alloy sheet to turn up to make body panels from. Cant do fuck all till shows up tho. Pissin snow has backlogged RM big time.

Want to start tearing bike apart n working through each peice, but cant really do that til made rest of panels n know everything will fit when goes back together.

On plus side tho I've went through about 50-odd paint ideas n finally settled on something at last. Pretty full-on paint everywhere build again as good advertising n holds my interest during build. Folk will be groaning at it being a big airbrushed project again I'm sure, but hey its my bike n my tastes n airbrushingís what I do so cant be that much of a surprise. lol. They might be surprised tho as 95% of the airbrushing is going to be really ghostly subtle in background stuff.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Jedi Chat Master

My alloy sheet finally turned up in mail yesterday evening. Transferred template shapes to sheets last night and managed to just squeeze them all onto the sheet size I bought. Went out today and cut out the shapes with my trusty grinder and some 1mm cutting discs which are nice and accurate. Quick hand file of edges got them mostly smooth. Iíll round them off smoothly properly when prepping for paint.

Got plenty evil stares out of the windows of the local church bus going back n forth past my garage, but tough shit. Iíve got Sunday free from work and not about to spend it sittin church. Lol.

Looks like some Ikea flat pack furniture at moment, but everything labeled up.:-

2 rough parts to left of picture are offcuts Iíll be using for small infill that cover gaps between fairing sides and frame and radiator, etc. Got templates for them already, but final shape dependant on curvature of fairing panels so best to wait till got them formed and double check my templates. Be sods law Iíd cut them out undersized if not.

Iíll get out next few evenings and start mounting the panels, etc. Got a handy telephone pole right next to my garage to form the curves round. Lol.
Old 13-12-2010, 08:00 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Couple hours tonight freezin my nuts off in the garage got both fairing sides made. One side fully bolted up, and the other just needing a bracket tweak next time Iím out to finish it off. :-

The little infill panel template I made before isnít far off. A bit of adjustment onto alloy, and a couple brackets n bolts and should do the job.:-

Front mudguard side panels just need drilled n couple small bolts to secure.:-

The swing arm plates Iím going to have to guesstimate the mounting angle really allowing for lowering rear end couple inches on rebuild.:-

For mounting Iím thinking of just tapping a couple small holes in the swing arm tbh rather than big clumsy brackets. People are always drilling holes to route brake hoses, etc, and cant see it compromising integral strength any. Itís a beefy swinger as is.

Another couple evenings should get everything finished off and mounted properly anyway. Fuel regulator came through mail today for my turbo bandit project too so got plenty to be getting on with. Lol.
Old 14-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Another hour tonight. Got the front mudguard sections mounted with some tiny allen bolts.:-

Also got the bracket for the other side done and the other fairing half bolted up.

Realised then that radiator hose travels on outside of radiator on RHS of bike, so had to tweak LHS of fairing outwards slightly to match, which changed infill panels shape yet again. Lol. Cut 2 out of 1.5mm steel instead of alloy so I can weld brackets, etc on underneath. Couple tiny allen key bolts again will be enough to hold. :-

Then I realized that of course radiator cap on other side protrudes up too high by 5-10mm to clear infill panel.:-

Donít really fancy having a big hole cut in panel to leave ugly rad cap visable so going to re-template and trim the panels I made so they sit at a slight upwards angle sorta like this so clear rad cap.:-

Be easily removable fairing and infill panels for radiator top-ups, etc, and hides good 90% of plumbing on bike.

Sort out these fiddly panels next couple evenings, and still need to mount swingarm panels, but getting there. Looking like what I had in my head now.:-

Old 14-12-2010, 07:34 PM

It's not too far off your original designs, Harris.

Old 16-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Been busy last couple evenings finishing last bits of panel work.

Started by fitting plates to swingarm. Drilled through to tap a threaded hole and was surprised just how thin swing arm alloy is. Not much thickness to tap a good thread on. Remembered I had this clinch nut rivet gun on a shelf which came to me along with my lathe/pillar drill, etc from me mate Gixerjon. Hadnít used this tool before n thought it would be the ideal opportunity to try it out. :-

Think this might be my favourite new tool. Lol. Instant rivet in threaded hole. So quick n simple n neat.:-

Plate bolted on.:-

Couldnít drill other side as bike too close to garage wall on workbench, so Iíll have to drill the holes on bike strip down. No biggy tho.

Next I reshaped the infill panels to sit at slight angle so can clear radiator cap on one side. Tight, but just clears it. Welded on some tabs underneath, and couple small allen key bolts n job done. :-

Edge is fairly neat, and Iíll fit some domed or countersunk bolts on reassembly to minimize theyíre protrusion.

Got a nice slight bit of shoulder width at front end. Some new radiator/oil cooler covers when building it back up n should be neat enough. Most of water cooled spaghetti is hidden from view anyway. :-

Old 16-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued...........

Couple pics of bodywork done n dusted.:-

I`ll start stripping whole bike down somepoint soon. Want to do a few things first though. Need to keep it in one piece for wee while while I work out every last bit of proposed paintwork and place it all out in my head. Print out a few mock-ups n generally piss about for a bit with ideas, etc.

Things I havenít made yet such as rear light and indicators can wait till rebuilding as only small components. Rear footrests are going to be incorporated into some new rider rearsets, or detachable from them maybe. Keep seat unit clean of clutter. Number plate probably side mount, again keeping things clean. Indicators LED and hidden somewhere, or maybe have a go at making some bar-end ones. Thereís certainly nothing major needing made thatís stopping me from ripping the bike apart n working through each piece now.
Old 16-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

That clinchnut tool looks good, I've never seen one before, just drill a hole, pop the nut rivet in and drill a corresponding hole for the bolt...Hey presto instant removable panel..If that's the way it works it's brilliant.

So just how thin is the swinging arm metal..

John
Old 16-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Yup works just like a pop rivet, but clamps a threaded insert into hole instead. Love it!

Swingarm metals thin. Didnt stick calipers on it or anything but not much more than 1.5-2mm or so. Saying that most frames are made out of sections/tubing that thin. Modern stuff even less cos of the internal extrusion shapes, etc. adding strength.

Remembered had tool sitting there n god its great. Can see me using it a lot for panel work stuff.
Old 18-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not done anything to strip bike yet as been busy doing bits on my turbo bandit project (project budget dragqueen).

A lot of standing around thinking everything out paintwork wise, etc and deciding on paintwork layout n the colour coding of parts, etc. Much easier having it all worked out this stage than later on when bike in a million pieces. Lol. Climbed up on workbench today n sat on bike too. Feels very small and light weight, and generally `right` which is a good sign.

Original rearsets are bolloxed from years of wear n tear n one sides held together with nuts n bolts from hitting a stag about 10 years back as my foot went straight through rearset. Lol. Planning on making a new set of rearsets incorporating the pillion pegs to keep the seat unit clean n neat, and give the pillion a bit more leg room over most sports setups that result in a shitting frog pillion position. Got a couple slabs of billet alloy tucked away that look about the right size to make some pointy units mirroring the shapes of the bodywork panels and having both sets of pegs on them. An inflatable sucker-pad pillion pad for times when needed or a permanent neat pad maybe. Dunno. Sorta like this rough mockup anyway.:-

Use original pegs n levers probably, but could always make new ones if needs be. Depends how they look on new plates. Was thinking originally having the plates cut out n skeletal, but solid would maybe match style n shapes on bike better.

Anyway not something I have to worry about for a while. Got `A LOT` of stripping, servicing and painting to do before anywhere near. Next update whenever I strip the bike apart, but not in great rush tbh. Got last few parts for my bandit on the way so crack on with finishing that off first so can concentrate fully on this project.