100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 14-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Couple bolts tacked on as mounting studs. :-

Mounting holes for everything drilled. Also made n tacked on some lugs for the original rubber mounting fixings for the relays. Time consuming yeah, but better having relays rubber isolated, and bit better than zip-tying everything in place. One of my pet hates when buy a bike is finding a big rats nest of wires/boxes shoved into a space n zip-tied together in a mess. Lol. :-

Everything slotted in n loosely bolted. Tight as 3 relays, reg/rec, fuse box, ignition module, etc, but will be nice n neat once wires clipped up properly. :-

All at a nice low profile so seat pad clears everything once on. :-

Well think thatís everything bar neatening up n final welding once subframes off bike on stripdown. Onto sheet metal work now covering everything up I guess. Lots of cereal box templates n cutting/welding. Lol.
Old 14-10-2010, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Harris, I really like your work..No messing around, just getting the job done..

John
Old 14-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Plenty time to neaten everything up later on n make it look nice n blingy polished/airbrushed, etc. Just wanna get dry build done n everything fitting right than can enjoy a straightforwards cosmetic strip n rebuild.
Old 15-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

I concur with the old welsh feller.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 18-10-2010, 02:25 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Im glad you rethought the tail end, I was in Nik's camp with the earlier design. I think it's gonns be braw and has already been said, nae pish, straight in and problem solve, then build.

Old 20-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not a shitload tonight, but progress of sorts.

Measured up size of 1.5mm sheet I`ll need for seat unit metalwork. Way bigger than what I have which is a pisser as nowhere to get steel from up here other than Egay! Must be somewhere on island to get metal from, but Ive asked around n drawn up nothing but blanks.

Stripped off all guff from front end tonight anyway, and guns/rockets and all supporting metalwork from other side, etc, etc. Took about a sodding hour as everything rusted into one big blob! One of side effects of living right next to sea for many years n winter riding.:-

Got 2 piles this size now. Bout 2 feet deep in places! Must be good 20-30kg between it all as most of metal bar is at least 5mm steel. Loads of weight considering it was only 180-odd kg with 2/3 tank of fuel at last MOT test! Note big ground section on bellypan from jumping too many humpback hill sections of local roads. Ooops. Lol. :-

Bikes fookin tiny! Feels like a 250cc stood next to it, and Iím short. Lol. Gonna be light as hell as not much going on bar few sheets of thin alloy, etc. No big clocks on front, n no real seat unit length at back, etc. Cant get over how small bike looks tbh. :-

Off to scan Egay for some sheet steel for seat panel, n hassle a few local mates about local suppliers. Loads of boat builders, etc up here. Must be getting materials from somewhere.
Old 20-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Has anyone thrown out a washing machine or a tumble drier recently? The sides are an ideal gauge for what you want to use it for, Harris.

Grav
champion skip diver.

Old 20-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Yeah Im looking. lol.
Old 25-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not done a lot of late. Been working on my daily driver Hearse to get it through its MOT n clean up few areas, etc, etc. Went through MOT test fine then fuel tank developed pinhole leak so had to strip that completely off n repair it, etc. Pain in the arse job, but all sorted now. Gonna wire brush n underseal whole underneath of car next few days too ready for winter. Bloody cars. Lol.

Anyway chopped a couple of matching headlight plates tonight. Just 1.5mm steel as not going to be visible when done, and car spotlights that were on bike weigh next to nothing. Re-using them as small and lightweight and pretty narrow which fits in with my plan. Couple bits of bar spacer to make to fill gap back to headstock brackets, but no biggy. :-

Side on profile looks right anyway.:-

Probably weld on couple brackets to bolt the bodywork onto once made it up. Same shape as doodle below, matching original doodles shape wise. Step at back clears bottom yoke. :-

Thinking cover gap between side plates on top and bottom surfaces too, so enclosed narrow unit, and then mesh over front so lights not as obvious. More like an air intake in appearance. I`ll get some cardboard templates chopped about n see what looks like mocked up next few days. Original doodles had the light unit joined to the tank and running under the top yoke, but not sure how practical that would be. Donít fancy removing top yoke to take tank off. Lol. Maybe some sort of split design or leave tank as is. I`ll get a better idea once start cardboard/tape mocking up.

Up town tomorrow in car n found a engineering place up there. Going to stick my head in and see if can get some big enough sheet off him for the seat unit. Be handy having somewhere on island I can get metal from instead of shipping it in all the time.
Old 26-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Lots of pissin about with cardboard n gaffer tape tonight. Got shape roughly hacked out to see how looked n fitted. Not bad at all really. Sides and top will be out of same bit of steel so have slightly curved top edges in reality. Some black mesh (still got some fireguard mesh scraps, lol) recessed slightly at front for that stealthy look n should look alright.

Will need to curve bottom edges in slightly once made by 1cm or so to clear bottom yoke, but not far off clearing. Ignition barrel catches, but looks butt ugly on top yoke now so be getting moved somewhere discreet anyway so not a problem.

Top section runs round headstock and tucks under tank mounts to bolt down. Keeps visible fasteners down to a minimum. A single bolt underneath somewhere at front will hold secure without masses of bolts. :-

Side profile nice n neat n more or less inline with sketches. Clean n geometric and inline with tank top slope. :-

Gonna sit tonight n draw out accurate templates neatening up shapes, etc so can transfer to steel n cut em out n get it made.

Didnít get up town today, but going up tomorrow so I`ll hound that engineering place for some sheet while there. Lol.
Old 28-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Cracked on for couple hours this evening at nosecone.

Accurate paper templates other night from initial cardboard box mockup.:-

An hour or so hacking it out with trusty cheap n nasty grinder, shaping it over my knee with a hammer, and forming the folds by wedging the sheet in the gap between my garage doors n shoving hard. All high class tooling me. Lol. Couple welds n coming together.:-

Didnít have any sheet big enough so top lugs had to be welded on. By clamping with vice grips to hold flush, I welded front n back then ground back. Nowt a wee bit of filler wont sort and strong join. :-

Curved couple of bottom edges in slightly to clear bottom yoke at full steering lock. :-

On the bike n looks alright in its roughness.:-

Old 28-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued..................

JUST clears bottom yoke at full steering lock which was a concern.:-

Wee rabbit ear lugs I welded on wrap around headstock of frame.:-

And bolt on under front of tank to keep number of fasteners down on bodywork.:-

Looking at it by eye the tank and headlight cowl slope (i.e. top edge) are inline as per original plan so looking good. :-

Part of my concept doodles success to the eye is the use of parallel lines throughout the bodywork for nice flow. Seems on target so far anyway. Those lines (tank/headlight cowl) closely match the bottom of the seat subframe too, so all seems well at moment anyway. Donít need all the lines within fractions of a degree or anything, but as close as possible by eye will make end result look a lot better IMHO.

Stepping back n Iím liking it.:-

Needs some mesh frenched (junk fireguard to the rescue again, lol) in to front of nosecone and generally tidied up. Bit of dressing up with a hammer/file, and basic fillerwork and preparation for paint will make it baby smooth and a million times better as per bandit side scoops, but not bad even in this rough stage. Something different for cost of nowt and couple hours work.

Sheet metal wise Im going to have to resort to building the seat unit out of several pieces as my search for large sheets on island drew a blank. Lot more work, but will work ultimately, just time consuming making the joins invisible. Hey ho, its gonna be a long harsh winter up here anyway. Need something to do. Lol.
Old 28-10-2010, 08:55 PM

One thing that does stand out is how will the cowl affect the headlight beam? Will it be ok or will it narrow it down like a torch beam? It's dark up there in darkest jocklandshire...

Old 29-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Not even vaguely road legal light pattern anyway so not bothered tbh. At mot`s I just stick a bit of tape over n get a daytime ticket if needs be. If have spare dosh down the line I`ll stick a road legal light in the gap, but for ow using what Ive got. Much cheapness. lol.
Old 31-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Couple bits last few days.

One of original light brackets with a bit of bending about was ideal for a bottom bracket for bolting cowl to. Couple tiny M4 bolts underneath to secure cowl keeps things neat as completely out of view. Saved time/materials making one from scratch too. Lol.:-

Chopped up some scrap fireguard mesh and bonded it into inside of light unit countersunk slightly. Bolted up n Im liking it. Lines look good. Mesh will be sprayed black when finished properly. :-

Put a couple bends in a sheet of steel to make a start on seat unit. Going to have to make it out of several pieces due to size of material I have and lack of places on island to get bigger sheets. Not end of world tho.
Not chopped it yet tho as unsure as to shape. Red line below is bottom edge of seat unit. :-

To get sharp point between bottom edge of seat and seat top like drew originally I`ll need to chop about subframe pillion seat support a bit and angle downwards by miles to more like the yellow lines position on picture. Its either that or curve it up to meet top like I sketched on in marker to keep seat length down. Doesnít look too bad tbh. :-

Reckon it`ll be a case of chopping the subframe about tbh, but not sure as yet. Decisions decisions. Lol.
Old 31-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Nipped back out to shed for Ĺ hour this evening n chopped n rewelded all pillon pad framework on subframe, etc. Looks more inline with angles Im after now. Nice sharp point where seat top and seat bottom will meet when done. Mucho better. :-

Get the sheetwork chopped to shape roughly n start tacking on some side sections next day or two. Gonna take a while to build up whole shape, but got all long cold winter to piss about in shed. Lol.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Impressed tae fuck!
Old 02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Hour or two spent tonight with the old cereal boxes n tape/scissors again tonight. Exciting night life I lead. Lol.

Got the side panel shape templates worked out fairly accurately after several goes. Thank god the kids eat a lot of cereal as ideal thickness for accurate templates.

Side view showing basic shape. Bottom edge is oversized so I can trim that back few mm once get undertray made, etc. More than covers subframe mods anyway in depth. Fit round seat pad seems not bad. :-

Bit of curving n shaping and shouldnít look too out of place where meets tank. Wont be perfect but wont stand out as being hideously troll ugly like my ex-mother. Muwahahaha. Going to try fabricate some push-fit tags that will fit into the original rubber side panel bungs which are still on tank. Will save having fasteners on view. :-

My art lecturers always said to step back from your work every so often to see the whole picture. Further back n seems to have profile Im after overall. :-

Going to have to make each side out of 2 pieces as no material big enough. Marked it out ready for chopping n welding next few evenings.:-

Got stack of 1mm grinder discs sitting so can slice it out accurately. Making 2 identical sets for both sides. Figure frame/tank/seat identical both sides so make 2 sets at same time so perfectly matching. Area where meets back section of seat I bent the other day Im cutting good 20mm or so over size so I can line it up accurately n have some to spare. Lol. Guaranteed my bends on back section the other day arenít mm perfect, so this way I can line everything up at back end n chop off excess.

Also in picture is my big 5kg box of welding rods which arrived today that I got off egay for much cheapness. Was running low and they were going for silly cheap price so grabbed em. Stock me up for a fair while.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Chopped out side panel sections tonight using nowt more fancy than a grinder. These are other sides sections as Id already welded together one sides.:-

Welded other side, ground back weld to pretty flush on front surface. Nowt sanding n paint wont sort. After an hour or so hand forming the piece over my custom curve shaping implement (my kneecap, lol) I had one side 99% right. Pretty chuffed with it tbh. :-

Curves in with seat pad shape, and then back out to curve into back section. :-

Time to stand back n scratch me beard, lol. Looks right to me. Be spot on once trim the bottom edge slightly, etc. :-

Good flush fit against tank recess too. Was a twat to get right but sitting pretty good I think.:-

Old 03-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Jedi Chat Master

continued....................

Also tucks under seat pad well.:-

Cheated with the rubber tank fixing point on tank, as realized a allen bolt head was a perfect snap fit into rubber bung so just tacked it onto back n job done.:-

Will need to move things around so can get enough access to shape other side panel, and weld/bend it, etc next few evenings. Once have both done tho I can get back section square and chop off side panel excess length n weld into one unit. Happy so far tho. Working out better than thought. Iím no engineer. If I could airbrush bodywork on Iíd be fine. Lol.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Got other side sections welded n roughly shaped tonight. Seems pretty close shape wise to other side anyway. Need to weld on a rubber fixing tab at front still tho. :-

Both sides still need wee bit of tweaking about to make perfect fitment wise, but certainly not bad anyway. Also need to cut n weld in a recessed front panel in ere. :-

From back its slightly off too symmetry wise, but certainly coming together. Can see it as one piece all trimmed in my head anyway. Lol. :-

Think Im gonna have to line up the 3 pieces by eye n tape measure as close as possible and then cut off side panel excess n tack em together. Be a lot easier to tweak the shape about once all in one piece instead of clamped. Should hopefully be able to get it all close as dammit by eye n lots of pissin about bending it about, etc. Could take me a while tho. Lol.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:57 AM

As long as you're careful I reckon you will sort that toot sweet, Harris.

Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Another hour tonight n decided to concentrate my efforts on one side at a time. Clamped rear section to subframe as square as could measure, and by eye. Also ran a bit of string with a weight on end from the headstock, down center line of tank/seat, etc which lined up with centre line on back section n all look close. Lump hammer held a bit of weight on front seat pad to make sure was sitting properly on subframe and not on side panels or anything. :-

Gave me a line to look along n all seemed good and level with tank, etc.:-

Lined up, clamped, marked n chopped excess off side panel. Welded together then trimmed lower edge back, etc to final shape. Few mm of overlap over subframe spars at lower edges which gives me a bit of space to recess an undertray into. Looking pretty good tho.:-

I`ll get a go at doing same with other side panel tomorrow and then can tweak about the shape slightly here n there, but really not far off which is fantastic. I`ll make a template of side Ive done so get other sides shape identical as possible. Should work out alright anyway.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Got other side done same as other today. All welded up, etc. All joins will need lick of filler n shaping slightly, but thankfully I know someone who can do me filler/paintwork/airbrushing for next to nowt. Lol.

Looks not too bad. :-

Need to tweak it a bit here n there with my trusty kneecap/hammer combo. Get a bit of steel cut out n welded in to cover the battery area next I think n get a bolt or two through somewhere to mount it securely at back. Onto frame little angular infill panels n undertray after that.

Left a bit of a gap shape wise at back lip. Thinking I`ll slip a narrow LED strip light in there between seat panel and undertray panel once all done.:-

Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Looking good so far, Harris.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Another wee bit tonight. Seems like I get nothing done each night, but does add up slowly but surely.

Couple small tabs on inside at front secure it nice n tight to original side panel fixings at back of tank. :-

Wanted a nice solid mount at back so went with a Tiny little allen key bolt into a threaded hole in subframe extension. :-

Also cut n welded in a section to fill the gap and cover the battery. Slightly recessed as there`ll be a little arse-stop pad stuck on there to neaten things off when done.
:-

All feel bloody solid with no movement at all. Gonna start working out templates for little triangular frame sections and undertray next few days.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Only did bout an hour tonight as fookin freezing up ere n start to feel it quickly standing still pissin about with cardboard n scissors. Alright when movin about doing stuff but standing about me old kneecaps start to seize up. Lol.

Made a series of cardboard templates till got shape of frame extensions right. Cut out both.:-

Got one side formed anyway. One fold n lotta curving to follow seat unit later.:-

I`ll roll the edge meeting the frame slightly to make it less obvious. These sections will be same finish as frame so looks part of it shape wise as opposed to bodywork. Looks right tho n looking side on profile sits right matching subframe spars leaving me nice flat undertray to hide subframe. :-

Not sure if gonna weld these sections onto seat unit or undertray as yet but doesnít make much difference either way really tbh. Get the other one folded n shaped up tomorrow then can look at mounting em.
Old 13-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Spent a good few hours last few evenings n this afternoon sorting out seat unit shapes n getting other triangular side piece on. :-

LHS was straight forwards enough, but RHS took twice as long as just couldnít get curves right though a lot of problem was access as up against the garage wall.

Must have had seat unit off and on the bike a hundred times easily tacking bits on or re-shaping a curve slightly, etc, etc. Taken forever to get it right. Pretty happy with it now tho. Going to need skims of filler here and there at join points, etc and to level out any slight hammer marks, but should be alright once all sorted n painted up. Looks right to my eye n all feels solid. All one piece and 3 allen bolts hold its on tight.

Can finally start on making a template for undertray now. Seats got a nice waist shape to front of it tho.:-

Old 16-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Had an attempt at the undertray template tonight. Does need a slight curve in it underneath n a complicated shape to match up with frame spars, etc. Gonna take me a few attempts so need to start poking the kids with a pointy stick to eat more cereal so Iíve got more template material. Lol.

Hopefully yer can see what Iím aiming for anyway. Wanting a flush one piece setup that tucks under seat unit and hides literally everything right down to swingarm. Should look good if can get template right. Lol. :-

Here's where Iím up to anyway at moment. Looks a lot better with those triangular sections in place now.:-

Need to source some alloy sheet for the fairing panels and other small panels too. Gonna have to be Egay I reckon given where I am n all. Be onto those templates once get undertray finished off. Project moving quicker than expected tbh as not spending much time on it at all really. Bikes hardly going to be recognizable by time itís done. Lol.
Old 20-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not done a lot during last week really. Bit here n there pissin about with templates, etc. Xmas orders for airbrushing commission work (helmets/phone covers, etc) through the roof so busy busy.

Old clothes tumble dryer died the other week so robbed the sides off it before went to dump. Pretty thin shitty steel but easily shaped as about the same thickness as the cardboard template. Just as well really as shaping it was a complete bastard of a job as had curves all over the place. End of the day though the undertray is just a cover so can get away with thin steel.

Not perfect, but looks not bad.:-

I`ll get a go at mounting it next few evenings if get a chance. Thinking make up 6-8 little threaded tabs of metal and then take the whole seat unit off the bike to tack them on lined up. Either that or make the tabs way over sized, tack em onto seat unit while on bike then drill through undertray and tabs on seat unit to get holes to line up. I`ll give it some thought as to best way to do it. Got a big jar of neat little stainless steel cross head self tapping screws there too. Might be easier option.